2023 Japan Open | Oct 7 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2023 Japan Open | Oct 7

yesterday

Record Breaker
Then Paul Poirier should be invited. 😜
There's a cheaper option:

3767.gif

(disclaimer cause I don't know how far this spread out - it's an ice cream called Piper that used to be famous here)

gleungc6

On the Ice
SO happy to see Satoko and Mariah on the list! Will be nice of course to see Jason as we won't have him on the GP circuit. Have to admit - Morisi was a surprise to see on the list, but I'm sure he brings in the crowd! Wish Katya could have been there again, but I understand why they invited Kimmy.

gleungc6

On the Ice
Who else is on the list?
Europe:
  • Kevin
  • Morisi
  • Kimmy
  • Loena

Japan:
  • Koshiro
  • Kazuki
  • Kaori
  • Satoko

North Am:
  • Mariah
  • Isabeau
  • Jason
  • Ilia

Listed as 'guests': Riku and Ryuichi (perhaps they will perform a programme as an exhibition skate)

Original source text in Japanese:

日本
島田高志郎/友野一希/坂本花織/宮原知子

北米
イリア・マリニン/ジェイソン・ブラウン/イザボー・レヴィト/マライア・ベル

欧州
ケヴィン・エモズ/モリス・クヴィテラシヴィリ/ルナ・ヘンドリックス/キミー・レポンド

ゲスト
三浦璃来&木原龍一

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Europe:
  • Kevin
  • Morisi
  • Kimmy
  • Loena

Japan:
  • Koshiro
  • Kazuki
  • Kaori
  • Satoko

North Am:
  • Mariah
  • Isabeau
  • Jason
  • Ilia

Listed as 'guests': Riku and Ryuichi (perhaps they will perform a programme as an exhibition skate)

Original source text in Japanese:

日本
島田高志郎/友野一希/坂本花織/宮原知子

北米
イリア・マリニン/ジェイソン・ブラウン/イザボー・レヴィト/マライア・ベル

欧州
ケヴィン・エモズ/モリス・クヴィテラシヴィリ/ルナ・ヘンドリックス/キミー・レポンド

ゲスト
三浦璃来&木原龍一
I'm so happy Kevin is going. :)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
and one obviously unsurprising thing USA = North America ;)

OK, I do understand the sentiment, but for the men, (even if this were a real comp) who would do better than Jason and Ilia? Roman? Conrad? Since retired skaters are invited, if Keegan were available. how many times has he finished ahead of Jason (I don't think it's zero, but it's not much)? Is Patrick in skating shape?

(I laughed in response to your post because we don't have a winky icon, we should, it's the closest I could get)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
OK, I do understand the sentiment, but for the men, (even if this were a real comp) who would do better than Jason and Ilia? Roman? Conrad? Since retired skaters are invited, if Keegan were available. how many times has he finished ahead of Jason (I don't think it's zero, but it's not much)? Is Patrick in skating shape?

(I laughed in response to your post because we don't have a winky icon, we should, it's the closest I could get)
Keegan has other arguments... :) like Japanese connections and showmanship :) I would keep Jason and Keegan.. and invite Ilia later on :) Take advantage of those who are so popular and still skating in their last years... and invite the younger skaters later on :) . Patrick is only doing basic triples for shows.. I wouldn't expect him to even accept to go to Japan... he has moved on. He pretty much had moved on before the games happened and I will be forever grateful to Ravi for making him persevere so he could be an Olympic champion.

Is Mariah such an obvious choice? I don't know.
And as mentioned, yup, worst year ever for Canadian single skaters... but what about the previous 8 years? :) Gabby and Kaetlyn were much better back then than Mariah at her highest peak . Just saying.

and yes... The winky icon would be good... I have a hard time using the laughing one because it's been used before against me in a dismissive matter and I wouldn't want people to think I do that to them... so I only use it when it's obvious that the poster is making a joke.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Keegan.
Is Mariah such an obvious choice? I don't know.
And as mentioned, yup, worst year ever for Canadian single skaters... but what about the previous 8 years? :) Gabby and Kaetlyn were much better back then than Mariah at her highest peak . Just saying.

and yes... The winky icon would be good... I have a hard time using the laughing one because it's been used before against me in a dismissive matter and I wouldn't want people to think I do that to them... so I only use it when it's obvious that the poster is making a joke.

That's why I explained it, I didn't want you to think I was laughing at you or your argument. I too have had that, and it's very annoying: either have the courage of your convictions to discuss with someone, or don't respond. But passive aggressive use of the laughing emoji? Not cool.

I do agree that more Canadians could have been invited in the past. I agree about Mariah too.

And the best they could do with Kévin was Morisi?:scratch2:

So some selections are better than others.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
That's why I explained it, I didn't want you to think I was laughing at you or your argument. I too have had that, and it's very annoying: either have the courage of your convictions to discuss with someone, or don't respond. But passive aggressive use of the laughing emoji? Not cool.

I do agree that more Canadians could have been invited in the past. I agree about Mariah too.

And the best they could do with Kévin was Morisi?:scratch2:

So some selections are better than others.
exactly... Morisi like seriously... Satoko is nice but considering the talent in Japan.. same with Koshiro or even Kimmy...

But it's okay... I will be sleeping.

rabidline

Final Flight
exactly... Morisi like seriously... Satoko is nice but considering the talent in Japan.. same with Koshiro or even Kimmy...

But it's okay... I will be sleeping.
Satoko has a great long history with both organizers of Japan Open/Carnival on Ice: IMG and Kinoshita Group. And since the other top Japanese IMG lady is doing Finlandia Trophy on the same dates as Japan Open, and Kinoshita's newest sponsored girl is still a junior, I understand why they would rather keep the money in the family, so to speak.

Exactly the same with Koshiro, an IMG & Kinoshita "family member" but with the silver medal at his last Nationals as a better justification. It helps that Yuma is probably focusing on ranking points and Kao and Shun are both assigned to Finlandia Trophy on the same dates.

Now, whether those Finlandia Trophy assignments are coincidences or not...

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Satoko has a great long history with both organizers of Japan Open/Carnival on Ice: IMG and Kinoshita Group. And since the other top Japanese IMG lady is doing Finlandia Trophy on the same dates as Japan Open, and Kinoshita's newest sponsored girl is still a junior, I understand why they would rather keep the money in the family, so to speak.

Exactly the same with Koshiro, an IMG & Kinoshita "family member" but with the silver medal at his last Nationals as a better justification. It helps that Yuma is probably focusing on ranking points and Kao and Shun are both assigned to Finlandia Trophy on the same dates.

Now, whether those Finlandia Trophy assignments are coincidences or not...
thanks for the explanation... and I am looking forward to watching Finlandia ;)

KiraraChin

Medalist
Re: Team Japan - Satoko's selection is totally justified since she is a former national champion and a huge fan favourite. I for one I'm hugely looking forward to seeing her compete again :love2:

The other members of the team were selected due to their placements at last year's Nats. Maybe @rabidline can correct me, but isn't this the same every year?

Last year, the Men team was Shoma and Yuma (2nd and 3rd at JNats 2021, it's reasonable to assume they probably invited Yuzuru who won JNats 2021 but he declined). Yuma had to WD due to injury, then they invited Kao Miura who was the next in line (4th at Nats).

This year, they probably invited Shoma and Koshiro (1st and 2nd at Nats), but Shoma declined so they invited Kazuki who was the next in line as 3rd at Nats.

Absolutely no controversies there IMO. The only "surprise" is Shoma declining the invitation as he usually does JO, but at this point in his career he has other priorities, like Yuzu in 2021/22.

So, if you think about it, the team selection makes total sense.

rabidline

Final Flight
The other members of the team were selected due to their placements at last year's Nats. Maybe @rabidline can correct me, but isn't this the same every year?

Last year, the Men team was Shoma and Yuma (2nd and 3rd at JNats 2021, it's reasonable to assume they probably invited Yuzuru who won JNats 2021 but he declined). Yuma had to WD due to injury, then they invited Kao Miura who was the next in line (4th at Nats).

This year, they probably invited Shoma and Koshiro (1st and 2nd at Nats), but Shoma declined so they invited Kazuki who was the next in line as 3rd at Nats.
You got it pretty right! There are some skips by National medalists here and there (Keiji never did non-domestic Japan Opens, for example) but mostly they do go with the National placements. Even Koshiro in 2019 was 5th, not that far down.

Also it must be noted that while JO does pay well, it's pretty much a fake competition. It's not that great for skaters actually needing judges feedback (since they only do the FS) and building reputation (since the scores doesn't count as season's best) and ranking points (it doesn't give any). So while I do think they like to keep it in their (well-connected) family, some IMG/Kinoshita-affiliated skaters do get called up to make sure a skater show up. Like Mirai getting called up last minute when Bradie was too injured last year. Mirai was already in Japan for SOI (another IMG sponsored event) and she used to be represented by IMG (Yuki Saegusa was her agent) so there is that connection.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Thank you @KiraraChin and @rabidline for the explanations about the Japanese skaters' selection. Any idea why it's been several years since the last Canadian skater participated? I am not necessarily talking about this year = slim pickings... but it's been since 2015 since a Canadian skater competed at Japan Open. I am curious. If Canadian skaters are not marketable in Japan (which is strange because some do shows there) why bother with "North America" as a team? I think my issue with it is not even that Canadian skaters do not go, it's about the name of the team :)