2023 World Team Trophy - General Info | Golden Skate

2023 World Team Trophy - General Info

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The 2023 World Team Trophy is scheduled to take place Apr 13-16, 2023, in Tokyo, Japan. The event is a figure skating team competition sanctioned by the International Skating Union and was first held in April 2009 in Tokyo, Japan. Selected skaters from various countries with the best results during the season will compete in each discipline in a team format.
wtt qual.jpg

WTT allocation points.jpg

Last edited:

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
I hope this isn’t a dumb question, but was wondering if:

(a) South Korea stands a chance of qualifying, and, if so,
(b) could Lim/Quan senior-ize their programs and compete in the Ice Dance portion?

I know SK has no pair, but they should be able to rack up a lot of points in the other three disciplines.

So, probably Japan, USA, Canada, Italy, France, and . . . ?

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker

(b) could Lim/Quan senior-ize their programs and compete in the Ice Dance portion?

I know SK has no pair, but they should be able to rack up a lot of points in the other three disciplines.

A) I think it's possible, as Japan took part in the 2013 WTT without a pairs entry, but they were also the host country and thus were entitled to a WTT spot. Apart from that it has never happened, so I don't know if the situation would be the same if the affected ISU member is not the host country.

B) They'd probably have to in order for Korea to compete (and it's definitely possible, there are a few teams that have done both Jr and Sr competitions this season), as the ISU requires its members to send their best skaters and can choose to exclude teams based on non-participation of top athletes.

I'd say there is a large number of teams vying for that last spot, a lot of middling teams with some stand-out athletes, like Georgia, Germany, Ukraine, the Czech Republic, ... I'm sure there are more countries I didn't think about, and I think the last spot will not be securely in one country's hand until Worlds have happened.

Last edited:

almiranara

Rinkside

South Korea has a pair team, competed at Korean Nationals in January, Hye-Jin Cho/Steven Adcock

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
South Korea has a pair team, competed at Korean Nationals in January, Hye-Jin Cho/Steven Adcock
I don't think they have ever competed outside of Korean Nationals. Steven has represented a few countries (GBR and Canada, maybe more..) but I don't think he does need a release from Canada because he may not have competed internationally recently. So, I guess they could go to WTT if SK qualifies with strong singles scores and junior points from Lim and Quan...

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
They do, but they've not competed internationally, so they won't be counting into the points collected by South Korea for WTT qualification.

They're also currently not being sent out to international competitions (despite having the technical arsenal to have a good shot at getting Worlds minimums), which might be an indication of a) lack of support by the Korean Fed or b) eligibility issues (maybe Hye-Jin has competed internationally at smaller events as a singles skater within the past year?). While they could make their international debut at WTT, that's only a possibility if they're actually allowed to compete by that point.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Not sure Cho competed internationally. She was at 2020 Novice Canadian nationals... but then, everything shut down... and I don't think she was ever named to next gen, or even competed at all.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Not sure Cho competed internationally. She was at 2020 Novice Canadian nationals... but then, everything shut down... and I don't think she was ever named to next gen, or even competed at all.
She did some competitions in the US, but not as a member of the Canadian Skating Union, but in the same way anyone who trains in the US can compete at domestic events as a club member.

But still, there are pretty few options as to why they're not competing internationally, and one of them having competed internationally would be the simplest and generally most common reason when skaters switch countries. The Korean fed seems to be ok with assigning skaters to competitions, even if they won't fund them (the reason the third Korean Jr Ice Dance team never competed internationally), so I don't think they would deliberately block them from competing, but money might be an issue. :scratch2:

Last edited:

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I think the last spot will be between Korea and Georgia.
If it's based on this year's worlds and the grand prix season we just had, I was thinking Germany had a chance.

That being said, I personally think Ukraine should be given a one-off wild card, they have a full team and the prize money would go a long way for them. Or at the very least invite them all to the exhibition gala as guest skaters!

icewhite

Record Breaker
If it's based on this year's worlds and the grand prix season we just had, I was thinking Germany had a chance.

That being said, I personally think Ukraine should be given a one-off wild card, they have a full team and the prize money would go a long way for them. Or at the very least invite them all to the exhibition gala as guest skaters!

I would not appreciate a wild card for Ukraine, but to invite them to the exhibition gala as guest skaters sounds like a good idea.

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
If my math is right, after the JGP/GP/GPF fall season, the standings would be as follows:

Japan - 3939
USA - 3430
Canada - 2390
Italy - 2092
France - 1747
South Korea - 1662
Georgia - 1540
China - 960
Germany - 943
Switzerland - 853

SubRosa

I love Lussi