2023 World Team Trophy - General Info | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2023 World Team Trophy - General Info

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I always wondered why Roman had this training camp in Japan around early March (?) when he wasn't going there for Worlds.
Now I realise WTT is in Japan as well.
Coincidence? Or did someone tell him they miiiight send him there? Like with a chance of 10%? 😅
honestly, I like Roman, but considering the event has a huge load of cash for skaters, I wouldn't give that opportunity to him... other skaters, like Conrad for instance, represented the country in two ISU championships and I am sure they would need the cash, and obviously, deserve it.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Is it possible that Canada could send Conrad or anyone else?
I think the ISU might only have issues if they didn't send Keegan (he himself has also said he really wanted to compete at WTT this season when talking about retiring last season), because (as harsh as that sounds) it's not like any of the other Canadian men have really managed to set themselves apart from each other this season.

I could see them choosing Wesley, Stephen or Conrad, probably not Roman though.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I heard a comment from Isabeau that her post-Worlds plans include immediate vacation. Is it possible she doesn’t realize that she’s obligated by ISU to do WTT?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think the ISU might only have issues if they didn't send Keegan (he himself has also said he really wanted to compete at WTT this season when talking about retiring last season), because (as harsh as that sounds) it's not like any of the other Canadian men have really managed to set themselves apart from each other this season.

I could see them choosing Wesley, Stephen or Conrad, probably not Roman though.
thank you for bringing me some more hope for my son.... :) I feel he needs another chance after having his biggest ever assignment ruined by a broken blade.... and not making the free though he did land a quad combo and a 3axel...

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Do Hannah Lim/Ye Quan have a senior RD?
Not that I know of. I was doubtful Korea would send a team to this event at all, as they haven't sent Cho/Adcock anywhere despite participating at nationals.
Then if Georgia were called up, I don't know if they have a second women's skater to send. And their pair was rushed to compete at worlds, Karina should still be recovering.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I hope to see Keegan and Conrad there for men, Maddy and Fiona for women, and the obvious choices for pairs (Deanna and Maxime) and ID (Piper and Paul). I recall Canada sent skaters and couples who hadn't competed at all before the WC last time, but that was probably due to COVID and its nasty accompaniments, in Canada particularly. I can't remember any rule or exception preventing sending skaters less high on the WS list or something. So, I will just stick to my wish.

For the Americans of course I hope to see Illia and Jason, for the women I don't really care, and my absolute joy would be to see Kaitlyn and Jean Luc, but that's probably wishful thinking. I wouldn't mind seeing Caroline and Michael or Christine and Anthony.

I hope Daisuke and Kana turn up, and though I would love to see Shoma, I wouldn't mind seeing other Japanese men. I like most of them. But Kazuki, Kushiro or Sota would be special! And why not Yuma Kagijama if he's healed?

I wouldn't mind seeing Rebecca and Philippo for the Italians in pairs but please do send Charlene and Marco! the second ID pair is really a lot lower in quality (although fun). I would ike to see both Matteo and Daniel but I won't say no to Gabriele if they are so inclined.

And for the Koreans, I sincerely hope they can send Juniors (in ID) and a couple not sent out yet (pairs).

And what's wrong with inviting some Germans (Nicole?) for the exhibition?

Last edited:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I don't think the ISU really cares who goes to WTT as long as it is OK with the Japanese (hosts) who created the event and are paying the big bucks for it.

I very much doubt the Japanese would object to getting Conrad instead of Wesley. If Conrad is good enough to be the second Canadian man at Worlds, and he is/was, he should be good enough for WTT.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, it's my least favorite competition of the year by a good margin, but it still beats "no skating" by a mile.

I hope Mark and Belinda will cover it, and that I can still catch the replay on my VPN the next day. This is one I don't care to watch live.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
I don't think the ISU really cares who goes to WTT as long as it is OK with the Japanese (hosts) who created the event and are paying the big bucks for it.
I do think they care about the overall quality and standing of the team, but not necessarily about every single skater/ice dance team/pair sent.

Like, if they're of the opinion that the team sent to WTT would not be good enough to qualify for WTT in their own right, then they might choose to call up a lower-ranked country who are willing to send their top team.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I do think they care about the overall quality and standing of the team, but not necessarily about every single skater/ice dance team/pair sent.

Like, if they're of the opinion that the team sent to WTT would not be good enough to qualify for WTT in their own right, then they might choose to call up a lower-ranked country who are willing to send their top team.
Canada then qualified with Conrad's score at 4CC :) I know.. i am pushy about my son but he deserves to skate with boots and blades he is settled in.. He has worked SO hard to get there.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
anyway, we will find out soon.. i think entries are due at the end of the month... which is like... in 4-5 days :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Skate Canada just managed to upset me a bit... (for not selecting Conrad... and for keeping their typo tradition)

MEN
STEPHEN GOGLEV
KEEGAN MESSING
WOMEN
SARA-MAUDE DUPUIS
MADELINE SCHIZAS
PAIR
DEANNA STEALLTO-DUDEK / MAXIME DESCHAMPS
ICE DANCE
PIPER GILLES / PAUL POIRIER

Last edited:

DonnaR

On the Ice
Skate Canada just managed to upset me a bit... (for not selecting Conrad... and for keeping their typo tradition)

MEN
STEPHEN GOGLEV
KEEGAN MESSING
WOMEN
SARA-MAUDE DUPUIS
MADELINE SCHIZAS
PAIR
DEANNA STEALLTO-DUDEK / MAXIME DESCHAMPS
ICE DANCE
PIPER GILLES / PAUL POIRIER
Wow, I'm surprised they selected Steven. Would love to see Conrad get another competition before the end of the skating season to help his confidence level. I also would have thought they'd go with Kaiya, but Sara-Maude had a great competition at Four Continents.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Wow, I'm surprised they selected Steven. Would love to see Conrad get another competition before the end of the skating season to help his confidence level. I also would have thought they'd go with Kaiya, but Sara-Maude had a great competition at Four Continents.
Exactly my thoughts.. Also, i have to admit i do not know stephen google and deanna steel toe 😀

Sackie

Medalist
Glad they are sending Sara-Maude. She had a great free at 4CC and had she been better known internationally she would have scored higher. So it is a good thing to get her out there more. Especially since I seem to remember them saying she is working on a 3A. So if this is true she needs to get out in front of the judges as much as possible.