2024-25 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2024-25 Canadian Figure Skating

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
Especially when the previous paragraph says:
One of the topics of discussion about Canadian skaters this season — particularly in the men’s and women’s categories — was their lack of competition opportunities. There was a noticeable dearth of Canadian entries in those disciplines on the Grand Prix circuit, but world standings have a lot to do with that.
If only there was a series of competitions that could help them improve their SB and world standings outside the Grand Prix or championships so that they could be on the Grand Prix more...:unsure:

I just thought it was hilarious that he makes it sound like he didn't think of the need to compete more until Elvis Stojko told him. The summer domestic competitions helped Aleksa, but he still needed to get out to compete internationally. I guess they don't have it in the budget for more international competitions and he's trying to put a positive spin on it.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I just thought it was hilarious that he makes it sound like he didn't think of the need to compete more until Elvis Stojko told him.
oh he knows.... he just is deflecting.
The summer domestic competitions helped Aleksa, but he still needed to get out to compete internationally.
helped him to do what ? have a half decent year... how did he do when it mattered most = junior worlds.
I guess they don't have it in the budget for more international competitions and he's trying to put a positive spin on it.
he can just tell the truth . "Skate Canada is in a very difficult shape right now. Our funds have been depleted in the last years, with Covid and whatever.... We understand the need for our athletes to compete internationally. However, Skate Canada is in no way able to fund these trips. We are working with sponsors and donors to find a solution (I am assuming they are here... hopefully) . In the meantime, we will exploit our domestic competition series to give our athletes some competition experience, though without international outings, we are aware that they cannot get their tech minimums and improve their world rankings. "

This kind of answer would show me that they care and that they respect the fans and athletes.

Cutting the ice

On the Ice
Attended SOI last night in Toronto. It was uneven but there was some brilliant skating, particularly by Elvis (brought the house down with his second routine), Keegan (of course - miss him so much), Patrick (a bit sentimental but got to see some of his great skating skills and interpretation), and - to me a surprise - Satoko Miahara. Her skating and interpretation of the music was so enjoyable to watch. It was also lovely to see our world medallists / champions and get a chance to cheer them. The downside was that the theme was about conducting scientific experiments. Parts were funny (Keegan skating as a crash test dummy was unbelievable) - parts were (very) awkward like a high school play. But first night - hopefully will get better. The skating was worth it.

The attendance was pretty good and of course cheered like a typical Canadian skating audience - full out and at everything. Very supportive.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
helped him to do what ? have a half decent year... how did he do when it mattered most = junior worlds.
Improved on his previous total score from 2023 Junior Worlds by about 11 points and placed 8th when he'd previously placed 13th. I know he has more work to do and I'd like a coaching change for him. I don't like that he talked about missing training time a week before Junior Worlds due to a bad fall after his free skate.

He looks to be working with Benoit Richaud for next season. Hopefully that will help him in other aspects of his skating.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Improved on his previous total score from 2023 Junior Worlds by about 11 points and placed 8th when he'd previously placed 13th. I know he has more work to do and I'd like a coaching change for him.
+1
I don't like that he talked about missing training time a week before Junior Worlds due to a bad fall after his free skate.

He looks to be working with Benoit Richaud for next season. Hopefully that will help him in other aspects of his skating.

Reverie

On the Ice
oh he knows.... he just is deflecting.

he can just tell the truth . "Skate Canada is in a very difficult shape right now. Our funds have been depleted in the last years, with Covid and whatever.... We understand the need for our athletes to compete internationally. However, Skate Canada is in no way able to fund these trips. We are working with sponsors and donors to find a solution (I am assuming they are here... hopefully) . In the meantime, we will exploit our domestic competition series to give our athletes some competition experience, though without international outings, we are aware that they cannot get their tech minimums and improve their world rankings. "

This kind of answer would show me that they care and that they respect the fans and athletes.

The draft financials have been posted in time for the AGM on their website. Looks like a better financial year for Skate Canada including increased membership revenue but that could be because they increased the membership fee for the little CanSkaters.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The draft financials have been posted in time for the AGM on their website. Looks like a better financial year for Skate Canada including increased membership revenue but that could be because they increased the membership fee for the little CanSkaters.
yeah... so they charge more to the kids in the Learn to Skate program... but are they able to redirect that money to elite skaters or are they just dealing with inflation like everyone else ?

I mean, I raised my fees a lot in the last 2-3 years.. but I am not really any richer right ? Because everything else is more expensive. But at least, let's be reassured that it's not getting any worse.

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
But you already have lots of domestic events!! What your skaters need is more experience of slightly less pressurised international events so that they have the experience needed to deal with the large international events. Extra domestic competitions cannot provide international experience.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Does anyone know the dates for the next Canadian Nationals? We know it's Laval because Ted blabbed on a live stream, but I couldn't find any official announcement or dates.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
Does anyone know the dates for the next Canadian Nationals? We know it's Laval because Ted blabbed on a live stream, but I couldn't find any official announcement or dates.
According to this article, the announcement was supposed to be towards the end of April. The only major domestic event with dates announced so far is Skate Canada Cup/Skate Canada Trophy (Trophy replaces Novice Nationals and Novice/Pre-Novice Challenge). That's February 6-9 in Edmonton.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Are you planning to come visit?

WarmCheers

Rinkside
Kicking off the new season, NextGen Competition this year is also in Quebec. Gatineau is just cross the river from Ottawa. Quebec is very popular this year, starting with the Worlds in March... @4everchan

NextGen Team Competition & Camp
26-28/07
Gatineau QC

Sackie

Medalist
Was having some thoughts about CAN lady skaters lately. What do you think Maddie has to do this coming season to get back in top form? I really think that if she had skated at worlds like she could she could have easily made top 10, yet she didn't. Is it possible that her best days are behind her and she may not get back as CAN champ? Might we be going back to the way it was back in the 80s and 90s when we had a different Champ almost every year? I mean Sara-Maude beat her at 4CC last year and this year Kaiya beats her at Nationals. And if the Tec mins are lowered we just might have a few CAN ladies who can go to worlds if they win Nationals. And knowing that they may have this chance might just have them trying harder to make it, and have Maddie try harder to be the one. Cause this year I think she gave up at Nationals. After a few errors instead of fighting she just let her skate go knowing that she was it for worlds no matter what.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
Was having some thoughts about CAN lady skaters lately. What do you think Maddie has to do this coming season to get back in top form? I really think that if she had skated at worlds like she could she could have easily made top 10, yet she didn't. Is it possible that her best days are behind her and she may not get back as CAN champ? Might we be going back to the way it was back in the 80s and 90s when we had a different Champ almost every year? I mean Sara-Maude beat her at 4CC last year and this year Kaiya beats her at Nationals. And if the Tec mins are lowered we just might have a few CAN ladies who can go to worlds if they win Nationals. And knowing that they may have this chance might just have them trying harder to make it, and have Maddie try harder to be the one. Cause this year I think she gave up at Nationals. After a few errors instead of fighting she just let her skate go knowing that she was it for worlds no matter what.
It's hard to say. Tinkering with her layouts to maximize TES for Worlds didn't work. I think figuring out a layout she can land consistently would help more. Challenging herself with new choreographers is good, but she seemed more consistent in the short with Asher Hill.

Also she's in university, so she's balancing skating with school. It's not easy and the way she talked about her schedule with travel between London and Scarborough to work on her programs in top of school sounds exhausting.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
It's hard to say. Tinkering with her layouts to maximize TES for Worlds didn't work. I think figuring out a layout she can land consistently would help more. Challenging herself with new choreographers is good, but she seemed more consistent in the short with Asher Hill.
she may have tried to tinker with her layouts but until she adds a second lutz in the LP, there is not much she can do with repeating toes and loops/salchows
Also she's in university, so she's balancing skating with school. It's not easy and the way she talked about her schedule with travel between London and Scarborough to work on her programs in top of school sounds exhausting.
that's the real kicker... look at Conrad... I feel that this is the issue with many Canadian athletes... when at University, it gets really difficult... I think some have it easier than others, I guess Zach Lajoie (isn't he in Dance at Concordia?) But yeah... I wish some of our really top skaters put their studies on pause or were very part-time students. It's just too hard to do both.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
awwww... my son.... :( he was surprised at the attention his linkedin post made... but come on, he was so appreciated by those of us who liked him ! I am glad he took the time to write his speech... and not got into a weird random banter... Smart son. Proud GS daddy here.

I needed this for better closure.

We love you Conrad ! 💕 Thanks for everything !

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
I'm still disappointed. I'm glad for Conrad that he's got such a good career opportunity and wish him every success with it. I still feel that there is so much untapped potential in his skating, though, and am annoyed with Skate Canada for not giving him the chance to develop in lower pressure international events. Had he been able to build confidence, rather than being thrown straight into high pressure major events, I believe he could have become a top 10-12 skater at the World level. Are Lukas Britschgi, Denis Vasiljevs, Nikolaj Memola, Aleksander Selevko and Mark Gorodnitsky more talented than Conrad was? No. They were sent out to international competitions more and this has helped them learn to deal with the pressure at major events. I don't think Gorodnitsky would have got as far if he had opted to represent Canada.