2024-25 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2024-25 Canadian Figure Skating

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I'm still disappointed. I'm glad for Conrad that he's got such a good career opportunity and wish him every success with it. I still feel that there is so much untapped potential in his skating, though, and am annoyed with Skate Canada for not giving him the chance to develop in lower pressure international events. Had he been able to build confidence, rather than being thrown straight into high pressure major events, I believe he could have become a top 10-12 skater at the World level. Are Lukas Britschgi, Denis Vasiljevs, Nikolaj Memola, Aleksander Selevko and Mark Gorodnitsky more talented than Conrad was? No. They were sent out to international competitions more and this has helped them learn to deal with the pressure at major events. I don't think Gorodnitsky would have got as far if he had opted to represent Canada.
💯 % correct

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The irony : I was looking forward to seeing Conrad live at Nationals this year...because, there were rumours they would be in Laval.

Confirmed today by Skate Canada that they will be in Laval , Jan 14-19, and without my boy.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
If anyone remembers the show Til Debt Do Us Part, old episodes have been uploaded to Youtube. I've been watching them and Carol Lane appears in this episode. She teaches the couple an ice dance routine to learn teamwork. Her segment starts around 17:44 if you only want to watch that part.

Judging from the comments though, apparently ice dance didn't help 😬

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
found her

wow... another American partner for Thierry.... which means no chance for Olympics in Milano... even the next ones look difficult.... Hopefully she gets her release from the US Fed but it looks like she didn't compete for a long time.... a bit of a Deanna vibe.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
found her

wow... another American partner for Thierry.... which means no chance for Olympics in Milano... even the next ones look difficult.... Hopefully she gets her release from the US Fed but it looks like she didn't compete for a long time.... a bit of a Deanna vibe.
From what she said about needing to get her 3T and 3S more consistent for jumps, it would've been hard to make it to Milano even if she could get her citizenship in time. I'm interested in how they'll do together, her lifts looked good from the performance I watched.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
From what she said about needing to get her 3T and 3S more consistent for jumps, it would've been hard to make it to Milano even if she could get her citizenship in time. I'm interested in how they'll do together, her lifts looked good from the performance I watched.
Her throws like nice room. Twist is okay. The jumps are a no go.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Was having some thoughts about CAN lady skaters lately. What do you think Maddie has to do this coming season to get back in top form? I really think that if she had skated at worlds like she could she could have easily made top 10, yet she didn't. Is it possible that her best days are behind her and she may not get back as CAN champ? Might we be going back to the way it was back in the 80s and 90s when we had a different Champ almost every year? I mean Sara-Maude beat her at 4CC last year and this year Kaiya beats her at Nationals. And if the Tec mins are lowered we just might have a few CAN ladies who can go to worlds if they win Nationals. And knowing that they may have this chance might just have them trying harder to make it, and have Maddie try harder to be the one. Cause this year I think she gave up at Nationals. After a few errors instead of fighting she just let her skate go knowing that she was it for worlds no matter what.
I think she is still our most viable option for the upcoming two seasons as our Canadian Senior Women representative. She doesn’t have issues with under rotations or edge calls. Her potential is there as I believe she can score 200+ (like she did in the team event at 2022 Olympics). But, Maddie recently just seems to over analyze at competitions all during last season. I think she actually suffers from wanting it too much. She also just doesn’t seem as prepared for competitions, as before.

Nationals will be interesting this season. Kaiya seems to peak there. She is actually the best Nationals skater from the past two seasons. But, I’m interested to see how Lulu matches against Maddie. Lulu won Juniors Nationals and placed tenth at Junior Worlds. Also, her training mate Hetty, seems determined to improve her jumps heading into this season. Also, Uliana can be a factor due to her technical content (I hope she works on her skating skills and presentation over the break).

Also, after watching the Novice competition in Slovenia, I just have to mention that these ladies may actually just have one more shot at a Senior Ladies National Title, in 2025, cause ice Princess, Lia Cho, is moving up to Junior competitions domestically, and if she wins there, she would then be competing domestically, at Seniors Nationals during the Olympic year (despite still being only a Novice girl in 2026).

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Patinage Quebec posted lists for 2024-25:
Equipe Excellence-A-NextGen
Equipe B-Recrues

From B-Recrues, Joy Weinberg/Thierry Ferland are a new pairs team. Audra Gans/Gabriel Liu and Olympia Kalaganis/Emile Deveau are new ice dance teams.

Also Edward Vasii is listed for Excellence-A-NextGen :)
Happy to see this list.

I can’t wait to watch Anthony’s new programs this season. I don’t care if he never learns the 3A. I just want to see what he will come up with.

Also, I need to watch @4everchan Edward. I don’t remember his skating from two years ago. But, I’m intrigued.

Also, is it weird that I clapped when I saw Fee Ann and Audreanne on this list? I had a weird feeling they were going to be left off the list…

Go Quebec!!

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
If anyone remembers the show Til Debt Do Us Part, old episodes have been uploaded to Youtube. I've been watching them and Carol Lane appears in this episode. She teaches the couple an ice dance routine to learn teamwork. Her segment starts around 17:44 if you only want to watch that part.

Going to watch this tmrw!!

@saine with you on this forum, I’m always up to date on Canadian skating. I love how you are so informative on the rules, latest lists, and even random TV shows. Thanks for the posts, and for sharing, like always.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
found her

Also, thanks @4everchan for sleuthing your way to any potential new stars for Canada. With you and Saine, I can just sit back and read on the latest news. Thanks!!

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
found her

She seems to be the same height as Lori-Ann, so a good height for Thierry. Also they are well matched in age - she is about a year older than him, which is negligible at their ages.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

I do remember the show. I always thought the challenges were hokey and didn't really address the couple's issues, but the ice dance idea was not bad and it was really cool to see Carol. Did anyone recognize the real ice dancers at the beginning of the skating segment? The man might have been a very young Paul, but that may be wishful thinking by me. According to IMDB, the episode was broadcast July 2007.

Edited to add: I looked up a picture or Vanessa Crone, and it just might have been Crone and Poirier.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Happy to see this list.

I can’t wait to watch Anthony’s new programs this season. I don’t care if he never learns the 3A. I just want to see what he will come up with.

Also, I need to watch @4everchan Edward. I don’t remember his skating from two years ago. But, I’m intrigued.

Also, is it weird that I clapped when I saw Fee Ann and Audreanne on this list? I had a weird feeling they were going to be left off the list…

Go Quebec!!
this is a patinage quebec list... they wouldn't leave audréanne and fée ann off the list ;) skate canada on the other hand...

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
I do remember the show. I always thought the challenges were hokey and didn't really address the couple's issues, but the ice dance idea was not bad and it was really cool to see Carol. Did anyone recognize the real ice dancers at the beginning of the skating segment? The man might have been a very young Paul, but that may be wishful thinking by me. According to IMDB, the episode was broadcast July 2007.

Edited to add: I looked up a picture or Vanessa Crone, and it just might have been Crone and Poirier.
I thought it could've been Paul there, but I'm not the best with faces. If it is them, good for them for getting money by going on a show about money (y)