2024 U.S. Nationals: General Info and Pre-game chat | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2024 U.S. Nationals: General Info and Pre-game chat

ramurphy2005

Unabashed Mainer
On the Ice
Country
United-States
i put them first but i will probably change that soon ;)
my issue is with the new teams that are not even probably eligible to compete internationally yet... how will they do? will the judges not give them the points they deserve knowing they are not yet eligible to go to worlds for instance? I don't think that's a big factor, but it's been done before... (much better marketing to send your podium winners... than your 4th and 5th place finishers right ?)

how many spots for the USA at worlds ? 2 or 3 ?
3, the only one that doesn't have 3 is women which have 2.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
i put them first but i will probably change that soon ;)
my issue is with the new teams that are not even probably eligible to compete internationally yet... how will they do? will the judges not give them the points they deserve knowing they are not yet eligible to go to worlds for instance? I don't think that's a big factor, but it's been done before... (much better marketing to send your podium winners... than your 4th and 5th place finishers right ?)

how many spots for the USA at worlds ? 2 or 3 ?
The two new teams have achieved good scores at other domestic events so I'm hoping that they won't be held back. Not sure about Parkman's official release but his last international competition was in December 2022, he and Katie could perhaps make worlds if they skate well enough?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I bought the all event pass, but will not be able to attend some of the Junior programs. If anyone is interested, I want to give them to someone who would actually use them. I am giving them away. Anything on Monday and Tuesday is up for grabs.

Appreciate your generous offer of Junior tickets for Columbus. Raising my hand 🙋‍♀️ to say that I am interested, please.
If any of your tix still are available, I hope that you will/can send me a DM.
(I already tried to send you a DM, but GS software will not let me start a DM conversation with you.)

For Tuesday, I would be interested in:
Novice Pairs SP + Junior Pairs SP​
Junior Men SP​
Novice Pattern Dance + Junior Rhythm Dance​
(I do not think you are offering tickets for Wednesday, but in case you are, I would be interested in:
Junior Men FS)​

I will start volunteering in Columbus on Sun Jan 21.
Thanks for any consideration.

Rebecca Moose

toots
On the Ice
Country
United-States
how are ticket sales going? I will die if this competition is more like canadian nationals than europeans.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kaunas was wonderful and the Lithuanians were wonderful, that was quite a show and I was very impressed . Give them all the multi-national comps:clap:

I don't think any North American nationals will come close.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Kaunas was wonderful and the Lithuanians were wonderful, that was quite a show and I was very impressed . Give them all the multi-national comps:clap:

I don't think any North American nationals will come close.
probably not as wonderful as Kaunas but I have been to full house Nationals in Canada with crazy fans ! It's a bit hard to achieve when there is a polar vortex in the Prairies. I am not willing to associate 2024 Nationals with the way it has been and the way it will be in the future.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
probably not as wonderful as Kaunas but I have been to full house Nationals in Canada with crazy fans ! It's a bit hard to achieve when there is a polar vortex in the Prairies. I am not willing to associate 2024 Nationals with the way it has been and the way it will be in the future.

was I correct in reading that the *high* in Calgary 20 below (F)? That is unbelievable. I do hope Canadian Nats has a resurgence.

It has been a while since US Nats had a semi-full house of crazy fans (maybe Boston 2014?) and I don't think Columbus will do it. Although I salute them for trying a new city.

Fun fact: Laval (444 miles) and Columbus (450 miles) are equidistant from me. With unlimited time and money, I could have done/try to do both. :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
was I correct in reading that the *high* in Calgary 20 below (F)? That is unbelievable. I do hope Canadian Nats has a resurgence.
that is without the windchill. i don't know Fahrenheit but I do know that at minus 40 Celsius and F are equivalent... and I think that with the windchill, that's what they got... so driving there becomes difficult because at this temperature you need to plug in your car ;) and so on... @lariko can tell you more about it...
It has been a while since US Nats had a semi-full house of crazy fans (maybe Boston 2014?) and I don't think Columbus will do it. Although I salute them for trying a new city.

Fun fact: Laval (444 miles) and Columbus (450 miles) are equidistant from me. With unlimited time and money, I could have done/try to do both. :)
Laval is a super easy access venue for both locals and visitors... the rink is not even 5 minutes away from the subway stop. It is about 20-30 minutes of public transit to many fun places in Montreal.
The venue is new and comfy.. I was there in 2018 for SCI. However, I got sick on the LP days and I don't remember much of the skating... so I have to go back :)

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
that is without the windchill. i don't know Fahrenheit but I do know that at minus 40 Celsius and F are equivalent... and I think that with the windchill, that's what they got... so driving there becomes difficult because at this temperature you need to plug in your car ;) and so on... @lariko can tell you more about it...
That week was epic even for our normal January cold snap. We usually have that one to two weeks in -30's with a couple of days going to -33 degrees maybe, but it is normally around or just after Christmas, not this late in January. I think in my 25 years in Calgary I don't remember the windchills of, like, -46 degrees, lol.

So, the problem was that the parking lot (despite the free parking, yay!) doesn't actually have plug ins for the battery. That created a potentially really dangerous situation if you left the car for 12 hours of the competition. Just imagine coming out at like 10 pm, it's dark, it's -37, with a windchill that is dangerous for life, and your car doesn't start. Like...what are you going to do? The sports complex doesn't have 24/7 businesses nearby, it is a side road that leads to the skijumps in the Olympic park. So, it is a bit of a walk to the nearest condos.

We always tried to leave a bit early so that we could return to the event building if we had to.

But, it was fine in the end and we enjoyed the competition. This is Calgary after all. We're Hell or High Water city.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Not good, so far. Skate Canada got stuck with the larger venue that they would have filled in 2020, and if they were planning the event from scratch now they wouldn't be using.
I love the venue though :). Suits me... ( I think Rebecca may have been talking about how many tickets for US Nationals though)

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lynn Rutherford with some interesting insights into Ilia Malinin's Nationals prep.

Worked with SLB to increase difficulty in transitions and rework some choreography to be "neater and nicer."

Wasn't completely pleased with his GPF competition and looked for ways to improve. Using nationals to set a baseline for more improvements before worlds.

Admirable comments, and I'm ready for him to show me.

MsLayback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I think it's going to be a pretty full house in columbus. I've been following up on the website on purchasing tickets and there aren't a lot of tickets to be had. Also it's priced very reasonably and that's really important. Plus keep in mind that when competitions are on the East Coast, they tend to be much better attended then west coast events. I was able to purchase 2 all access passes in the first 6 rows pretty close to what it cost for 1 all access at 2022 nationals in Nashville.

MsLayback

On the Ice
Country
United-States

Ava Marie Ziegler has withdrawn and Brooke Gewalt takes her spot.
It doesn't seem like Eva has pulled out of 4 continents yet. I wondering if she is skipping. Nationals to focus on four continents which is something she could absolutely win

ramurphy2005

Unabashed Mainer
On the Ice
Country
United-States

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Ava: this is what can happen when the team gets nominated early. 4CC may add to her BOW and she can, in the worst case only get behind two of her teammates. Attending nationals and not performing well would put more pressure on her 4CC results in order to confirm a world spot. As US nationals are so close to 4CC, I can understand her team's decision. However, I don't like it when skaters do not attend their nationals... just my opinion