2024 Worlds: Ice Dance thoughts and comments | Golden Skate

2024 Worlds: Ice Dance thoughts and comments

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

When asked about the possibility of competing in Milan in 2026, Bates said: “I think as long as we’re in this state of mind and healthy, we’re going to keep going as long as we can.” :cheer2:

There were so many great performances! What are your thoughts? Which programs were your favorites and why? Did you agree the results?

slider11

Medalist
I dunno...when he became ill this year at Nationals, Evan said," what if this is our last Nationals?" Maybe that was just the moment and they go back and forth. I still predict maybe a 2024-25 pause for them, at least with GPs.

Chock and Bates deserved the gold. They made a small error right at the beginning of their free dance which allowed a strong program by Gilles and Poirier to edge them in that segment.

My favorite was Fear and Gibson. Most entertaining, to me. The Finnish couple gave a charming performance.

I greatly enjoyed Ben Agosto's commentary on U.S. TV. I found it insightful without being intrusive.

noskates

Record Breaker
I'm American through and through and always thrilled when one of our skaters/teams wins a medal, but I honestly favored Gilles and Poirer. I'll admit I don't know the finer points of ice dancing and I'm sure the judges got it right, but Piper and Paul were ethereal. I just got lost in that program.

icewhite

Record Breaker
There are many programs I liked, ice dance this season had some really nice programs (mostly free skates).
Some I liked best didn't even make it to worlds though because the competition in the US and Canada is so strong in ice dance.
Both Czech teams are great and it was a pity the Taschlers could not really show their strengths. The Swan Lake choreo for Mrazkova/Mrazek is amazing, truely ballet like, very Swan-ish, original and expressive. The Taschlers are just super.
I love the French teams and really hope Lopareva/Brissaud will keep their style and be appreciated for it instead of changing to programs that might be more crowd pleasing. They stand out.
Wuthering Heights was delivered at its best.
The Italians also really moved me with their free dance and I think they or G/P should have won due to their skating skills. C/B skated their programs very well, but it's just too much posing, too slow for me in comparison to deserve the win, and most of all to deserve the win with such scores and such a difference. Their skating skills are just not what the scores want to make me believe and although the elements are original, the programs overall lack complexity (in comparison to G/P and G/F). So, people might say they are intrigued by them, but there's a reason the scoring system splits all these different numbers and bullet points so that things become comparable.
Lim/Quan just spread this great energy and work together like a true team. Their programs are also strong.
I also enjoy Turkkila/Verluis' free dance a lot.
Yeah, overall this would have been a great event if the scoring was just not so ice dance.

Oh, and I'm glad the 80s are over. As much as the decade offers musically, the programs were mostly just not it.
Although I'm fearing next season's RD theme.

Andrina

Rinkside
I have been rooting for Chock and Bates because of the high level of creativity in their free dance. And I am happy they won the gold medal.

In their entire career, I've liked only one single dance from Piper and Paul - the one from 2015 about mirrored people. I've never really been their fan. But yesterday's free dance (and quite frankly, the short dance, too) deserved a gold medal. It was just so perfect. The choreography, the emotion, the technicality of their movements. And of course, their style. I loved that mirror dance because it was original in 2015. And I loved how they stood out of the crowd yesterday, too.

As for Italians, I am sorry, but they are not my cup of tea. They have amazing skating skills and are very good technicians. But they have zero style, and Barbara does not seem to want to change it. I often judge performances from this perspective: what will skaters leave after them? Well, Chock-Bates will definitely leave a lot of creative lifts. Piper and Paul are spreading a message that strangeness on the ice can be classy and medal-rewarding (without speaking of their maple leaf pattern). But what will leave the Italians? Nothing.

Otherwise, I am very happy for Marjorie and Zach! What an achievement. I hope they will continue on that wave.

As for Lilah and Lewis, I adore them and hope they're gonna get their gold medals very soon.

Lithuanians are great but not my cup of tea, either.

I feel nothing for Lopareva and Brissaud. I say kudos for choosing Mylène Farmer, but that's it. Evgenia was portraying a marionette in the short dance and seemed to do the same in the free dance. No emotions, no union with the music. I hope for Loicia and Theo to take the second place in the French team next year (or the first if P/C aren't back).

Last but not least, the Czech siblings couples. Both are wonderful but crucially lack a package. Their dances are just unbearable. Tashlers cosplay P/C, Mrazeks have no wow-effect. I wish for them new choreographers and potentially coaches. In Montréal they would thrive, I am sure.

All in all, I am waiting for P/C to come back. And G/F to retire.

Last edited:

rain

Record Breaker
I will always consider Piper and Paul the rightful gold medallists. Two spectacular programs delivered at the highest level.

It's funny, because when I was looking back at worlds and at this season as a whole, many of my top 10 favourites were in ice dance.

Marjorie and Zach have rightly moved up a tier with two spectacular programs (I actually thought they had the second-best RD of the season, behind Gilles/Poirier, and I don't really like Michael Jackson). Carreira/Ponomarenko, who I've always found very forgettable, really took a step forward as well with two great programs this season. I loved the FD of the Germans, who unfortunately didn't advance here. Lim/Quan continue to be the freshmen of the year with that FD. The two Finnish teams got my attention, and it was great to see Soucisse and Firus again, and I really liked their FD.

All in all, in spite of the judging, which is absolutely infuriating at times and embodies all the worst things about figure skating, dance is just such a pleasure to sit down and watch with the variety and skill of the programs.

FSLover17

On the Ice
Lajoie/Lagha and Gilles/Poirier had the best performances of the Top 10 - choreography, expression, audience reaction obviously! Of the non-Top 10, I'll copy and paste my favourites that I posted on my blog:

Hannah Lim/Ye Quan – for their total commitment to acting out the characters and bringing the magic to their stunning Umbrellas of Cherbourg program. The emotion that they can bring at such a young age is so impressive and they deserved every section of that standing ovation.
Yuka Orihara/Juho Pirinen – in a field of lyrical and dramatic free dances (understandably attempting to contrast the 80s Rhythm Dance), this team’s Chicago FD stood out for its quirky choreographic highlights and commitment to the musical accents. They are both such performers and it was a joy to see such a well-loved FD and team end the season on a high note.
Katerina Mrázková/Daniel Mrázek – their speed and edge depth left me with my heart in my mouth at every moment but the adrenaline rush was worth it. So thrilling to watch, the younger Czech pair embraced their powerful style in their interpretation of Swan Lake. It was a strong effort that made up for their teammates mistakes to ensure that the Czech Republic would still have 2 spots for next year’s Worlds – well done them!
Loïcia Demouget/Théo le Mercier – the contrast between her soft elegance and the extroverted entertainment that he brings makes this team one of my favourites on the circuit. Their rhythm dance in particular is a highlight for how fun the choreography is and I loved the build within their free dance tonight. Another young team with a bright future ahead of them!

Glad to see how clean the free dance performances but sorry for Bratti/Somerville's unfortunate error in the Choreo Rhythm Step - I hope that USFS gives them another shot internationally.

Cutting the ice

On the Ice
Limiting my comments to top 5

I am very happy that Piper&Paul won the free dance and in a rather commanding way (for ice dance) and really delighted with the performance of Majorie&Zach in both the rhythm dance and the free dance. Not sure what P&P did wrong in the rhythm dance (slow?) but clearly they need to address that if they are to move up a spot. But keep doing what they are doing in the free dance! M&Z - stay healthy - you are doing things right.

The rest of the top 5 didn't engage me as much and I have mused as to why. With Fear&Gibson, the Rocky free dance was a juniorish concept skated very well, but my main beef is that they are running the risk of being a one-note (one-trick) team with their year-after-year high energy, pop music choices. I want to see them do something where they need to use their choreography and skating to reach the audience. I am hoping next year, they will make a risky music choice outside their comfort zone and use it to create a story that draws the audience in without a "sing-along". IMO they need to do this if they wish to be the logical successors to the older generation.

Guignard&Fabbri - great technicians but as others have said, are short on making the emotional connection through their skating and programmes. I found that with many other teams' programmes that I enjoyed (and there were many), I was surprised when they were over, but with G&F, I was surprised it was still going. So IMO, until this is effectively addressed, they should not be world champions.

Chock&Bates - I am not an ice dance expert (just a fan) but the free dance programme was a bit flat to me. Perhaps they would have come across better live. They certainly choose esoteric themes for their free dances although the music this time is a bit overused (IMO) so didn't feel as original as it should have. But - except for the first lift where her foot slipped a bit and the last lift which looked shaky to me, the skating was very good. Perhaps if viewed live it would have looked faster and the transitions smoother. Should they be three-peat winners in Boston? That is rarified air indeed and I don't think they are that ice dance team (e.g., Virtue&Moir, Papadakis&Cizeron).

Already looking forward to the 2024-2025 GP series to see how (if) the teams grow.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Chock and Bates did it again. They pull it out when it counts! Their RD and FD were fine. They are decent technicians and wonderful performers but I honestly felt especially in the FD I would have only had them fourth - behind Piper and Paul, LaLa and maybe the Italians who I always have issues connecting. CB lacked the extra sparkle we expect from them especially in the FD. I would have given GP the gold though I may not be the best with the finer details of dance. I love LaLa andI predicted they would make a jump just as I predicted the Danadians would fall out of favour. I thought Cristina and Anthony did the best with what they have. I thought LaLa should have beaten Fear and Gibson. The Danadians were treated a bit harsh after the mistake in the RD but I would have moved them up after the FD. Overall they should be 6th. They appear to have b een dropped to Canada No 3. I did like the Czech teams but they like the Ms. Reed's team are good but not spectacular. I don't know why but i kind of would be okay if the Italians retired. You have not only possibly pc returning but the current French team who are interesting. I honestly feel Fear and Gibson are while entertaining and fan faves should be lower. Really shocked the third American team didn't make the FD but that says how high the level of competition even though the current podium are not superstars like PC, Virtue and MOir.

adhara

On the Ice
Country
Finland
I dunno...when he became ill this year at Nationals, Evan said," what if this is our last Nationals?" Maybe that was just the moment and they go back and forth. I still predict maybe a 2024-25 pause for them, at least with GPs.
I think they are a little bit anxious in the height of competition and all the worst fears come up easily. They know they're getting older and a small injury could completely mess them up or having to recover from an illness might not be worth another title. Those worst fears come up easily when stressed about something else (aka Nats).

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Firstly, congratulations to the medalists!

I'm really happy for Piper and Paul, winning the FD at home.

I think the placements for the top-3 in the RD were correct; however, I don't think C/B should've been that far ahead of either G/F or G/P in that segment. If they'd been closer, perhaps G/P's exceptional FD performance would've overtaken them for the title, but alas, it was not to be.

My heart was in my mouth when Charlene's dress caught on her skate, how they got out of that by only dropping the levels on the lift, I do not know! I thought their RD was great here, but the FD seemed a bit tight and nervous, even before the dress incident. I'm happy they got the bronze, and they certainly seemed pleased with it.

Great performances from LaLa at home! I would've had them 4th, but am pleased they are making a move up the field (and pleased to see them as the 2nd Canadian team here - they're very consistent and it's paying off, even after Marjorie's concussion).

I really enjoyed CPom and L/B too - pleased to see both teams get new PBs across the board.

And Orihara/Pirinen's FD is awesome! Can't wait to see what they do next season.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
As usual I was completely enraptured by Marjorie and Zachary's RD. I still think it's one the best RD's I've ever watched (although Gabrielle and Guillaume's in 2022 is one I remember fondly and rewatch often too).

People don't like the judging much in ID much, but I thought it was okay. I mean Piper & Paul had the best FD in my view, and that part of the competition they won albeit with a not too great difference woth Madison and Evan. But I also think Madison and Evan's RD is wonderful, much better than Piper and Paul's (although theirs is pretty watchable) so that there was a bit more difference there seems tto be alright.

Actually I like all ID, even if I don't get the judging. It's just fun to watch. Mark as a commentor does explain the subtleties very well

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
For me, the fan-cams are more revealing:

Unfortunately I can't link same fancam for all three, as the one I linked for GF and CB only had 480p vid of P^2, so it's not a fair comparison. But for me, it's better than ISU feed cameras.

Yogi

Rinkside
Country
United-States
I really enjoyed the dance event. I was gutted for Bratti/Somerville, they were doing so well and I really wanted to see how they fared against the world competition. I was also so sad for the Taschlers and they got hosed in the free dance.

My favorite performances were LaLa's free, Christina/Anthony's RD, Chock/Bates RD, Pirihara in both programs, and Lim/Quan free. I was happy that Piper/Paul had their moment and that Chock/Bates won overall.

I was underwhelmed by the Brits, I enjoyed them most of the season but they didn't seem as strong in this competition. I would've had them 5th.

slider11

Medalist
I do think this year's ice dance event shows that next year and even the Olympic year is up for grabs. If this year's top 3 stick around, they would have an advantage but not an overwhelming one. La/La, the Czechs, the French and even a US team that was not at Worlds could be contenders. I think it's up to Fear/Gibson to see if they are multi-dimensional and can pull off a more classical dance. And will Papdakis and Cizeron pull a Virtue and Moir and return once more? I like the suspense!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

Unfortunately I can't link same fancam for all three, as the one I linked for GF and CB only had 480p vid of P^2, so it's not a fair comparison. But for me, it's better than ISU feed cameras.
What would be your final conclusions.?

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada

I was surprised to find I preferred these to the version I watched on my computer. Much more of a feeling of actually being there and seeing the performances as the live audience saw them.

And I could hear the music clearly! I don't know what happens when I watch competitions on my laptop, but I hear virtually only the commentators talking (less than they used to, for which I'm grateful). But as for the music, I might as well have it turned to Mute. I thought it was my hearing going, but for these it was just the right volume.

:thank: That was an illuminating experiment!

rain

Record Breaker
I was surprised to find I preferred these to the version I watched on my computer. Much more of a feeling of actually being there and seeing the performances as the live audience saw them.

And I could hear the music clearly! I don't know what happens when I watch competitions on my laptop, but I hear virtually only the commentators talking (less than they used to, for which I'm grateful). But as for the music, I might as well have it turned to Mute. I thought it was my hearing going, but for these it was just the right volume.

:thank: That was an illuminating experiment!
The music versus the commentator feed was calibrated horribly for the world feed. It wasn't just you who could barely hear the music. Even with the sound turned up to maximum I could barely hear it on my computer, and then the commentator track was so loud as to be deafening. Definitely one of my major complaints about the event this year.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The music versus the commentator feed was calibrated horribly for the world feed. It wasn't just you who could barely hear the music. Even with the sound turned up to maximum I could barely hear it on my computer, and then the commentator track was so loud as to be deafening. Definitely one of my major complaints about the event this year.
What was so amazing live was the quality of the sound. Of course, it is expected that it's going to be better than on the feed. But I have been to other events (Nationals, Skate Canada) in bigger venues (compared to ACI for instance) and Bell Centre... WOW ! It's quite unfortunate that the sound was so bad as it truly was great to feel immersed in the programs (when there was a program ;) )