Alexander Petrov: Plushenko Ready to Compete! | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Alexander Petrov: Plushenko Ready to Compete!

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Incorrect. He was asked, after Russian Nationals, by a journalist, "If you could choose, which event would you do?". So he gave his answer - that he would choose the team event. Of course, the part everyone latched onto was his answer, and not the question. A nice little set-up, don't you think?

"I think that I will select the team event and cede my spot in the men's competition to a young athlete," Plushenko told Russian news agency R-Sport after finishing second to Kovtun.

"It will be enough for me to take part in the team event."

http://www.insidethegames.biz/artic...hi-2014-after-defeat-in-russian-championships

Could it be that it would be "enough" for him to take part in the team event because he had a better shot of getting gold than in singles?

Valentin Piseyev had to backtrack on Plushenko's comments about only competing in the team event because "Plushenko’s comments were spoken “out of emotion” and were not logical". Doesn't sound like it was only a hypothetical scenario if the federation general director had to apologize on his behalf after people criticized him for not knowing the rules.

http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/20...-team-event-sochi-olympics-russian-nationals/

Do you have any articles on what the journalist actually asked him?

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
http://www.insidethegames.biz/artic...hi-2014-after-defeat-in-russian-championships

Could it be that it would be "enough" for him to take part in the team event because he had a better shot of getting gold than in singles?

Valentin Piseyev had to backtrack on Plushenko's comments about only competing in the team event because "Plushenko’s comments were spoken “out of emotion” and were not logical". Doesn't sound like it was only a hypothetical scenario if the federation general director had to apologize on his behalf after people criticized him for not knowing the rules.

http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/20...-team-event-sochi-olympics-russian-nationals/

Do you have any articles on what the journalist actually asked him?

If you have time you find everything here http://evgeni-plushenko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=354&hilit=whitebamboo This is whitebamboo's work she is a great and smart American Plushy fan. She is a mathematician, she was very thorough when processed the story. :yes: scroll down the page,please

Last edited:

GS Forum Staff

Record Breaker
Please stay on topic and refrain from conspiracy theories as well as insulting posters.

Last edited:

qazwsx

Rinkside
For him, he always can find another level in competition, but it is patently obvious that he loves the ice, and can't tear himself away. He seems to genuinely love the challenge of competition, and the harder a situation is, the more he loves it, the more he fights for it.

...and that's why he prefers the nerve-wracking-pressure-cooking team competition than the same ol', same ol' boring individual event..:)

Last edited:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
...and that's why he prefers the nerve-wracking-pressure-cooking team competition than the same ol', same ol' boring individual event..:)

hm..you didn't read the whole thread... he didn't choose, he didn't prefer anything . Happened what happened.
And yes, he loves the ice. He can't live without it.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Incorrect. He was asked, after Russian Nationals, by a journalist, "If you could choose, which event would you do?". So he gave his answer - that he would choose the team event. Of course, the part everyone latched onto was his answer, and not the question. A nice little set-up, don't you think?

Isn't it a little suspect that he would choose to compete in the team event instead of the much more prestigious individual event that he has always competed in, against the entire men's field?

After all, his rationale for Kovtun not being sent was that he had the experience to compete at a higher level. So, wouldn't that mean he would be more suitable for the higher level event and let the younger athlete compete in the event where it wasn't as critical to perform at one's best in order to medal?

And it's not like Plushenko would have had to skate more programs by competing in the individual versus the team - both were two programs. It's painfully obvious that Plushenko wanted the easier competition/easy medal from the get-go; his interview answer could have silenced that notion had he responded, "As the more experienced skater I will compete in the individual competition, and give an up and coming young athlete an opportunity to win a medal with team Russia." *That* would have been the classy answer.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Considering the monetary rewards from the government were the same for a gold medal in team versus individual, I cannot see anyone at all handing the better chance for car, apartment, $100k over to someone just to look noble. Nor can I see the other team members wanting the risk of having on their team a guy that had failed to secure two spots at worlds, which is why Russia/Plushenko was in this predicament at all.

Last edited:

qazwsx

Rinkside
hm..you didn't read the whole thread... he didn't choose, he didn't prefer anything . Happened what happened.

It's precisely after I read the whole thread, that I discovered the genuinely-love-the-challenge, harder-a-situation-more-the-fights plushy DOES have a preference:

He was asked, after Russian Nationals, by a journalist, "If you could choose, which event would you do?". So he gave his answer - that he would choose the team event.

Too bad he doesn't get to choose his preferred way. No matter, in the end it happened as he preferred, fate or not.

qazwsx

Rinkside
Considering the monetary rewards from the government were the same for a gold medal in team versus individual, I cannot see anyone at all handing the better chance for car, apartment, $100k over to someone just to look noble. Nor can I see the other team members wanting the risk of having on their team a guy that had failed to secure two spots at worlds, which is why Russia/Plushenko was in this predicament at all.

ITA, human nature at work, who doesn't want better chance for easier money? this preference is nothing to be ashamed of, no need to deny it or glorify it.