Ban on Carolina Kostner Over | Page 38 | Golden Skate

Ban on Carolina Kostner Over

Alba

Record Breaker
The article has been updated:
http://www.gazzetta.it/Sport-Invern...-novembre-potra-gareggiare-130370030531.shtml

According to latest news:

• as of 1st november: she can train and do exhibitions without any restriction;
  • as of 1st january: she can compete.

So, this means no Nationals and obviously no Euros? I don't get this. Why 2 different dates, one for shows and one for competitions? If the ban ends by the 1st of November she should be able to compete after that date.

Last edited:

Alba

Record Breaker
And people say the doping police are not completely corrupt and without ethics.....

Well in her case they are right to say that since she does not have a doping offense on her record.

deneb

On the Ice
So, this means no Nationals and obviously no Euros? I don't get this. Why 1 different dates, one for shows and one for competitions? If the ban ends by the 1st of November she should be able to compete after that date.

If those dates are correct, yes, no nationals and no euros. I agree it's weird, I don't know why. But tomorrow we'll have the CAS official statement about the agreement.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
(Just jumped in at the end here....so C. was banned for helping her lover evade detection? So many moral questions...a certain US pairs lady was banned from competition for refusing a drug test....yet how about if a hypothetical Olympic judge was caught cheating and allowed to come back and judge? Should a certain pairs coach who worked for the East German Stasi be allowed to coach? Should a hypothetical Pairs coach who solicited underaged girls be allowed to coach? Should cheating quarterbacks be allowed to return to the game? Should the USFS have turned in a certain junior dance person wearing a US Team jacket at Greensboro 1 for "allegedly" setting off the fire alarm at the event hotel? And Banned that person if convicted?

OK, I think in C's case, if she came clean and did her suspension and debt to society, she should be allowed to come back.....

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
And people say the doping police are not completely corrupt and without ethics.....

Mafke, I have already pointed out in a subsequent comment that I worded the first part of that particular sentence you quoted badly.

So, please do not be using it to make allegations against the authorities.

(I think I'd need to go back and edit that comment before somebody else jumps on it!)

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
So, this means no Nationals and obviously no Euros? I don't get this. Why 2 different dates, one for shows and one for competitions? If the ban ends by the 1st of November she should be able to compete after that date.

Agree full-heartedly!

But, at the end of the day, in any compromise agreement, both sides have to get something out of it. So, what Carolina is getting is being allowed to do shows without getting into trouble. Meanwhile, what the authorities are getting is for Carolina to effectively miss all of major competitions this season. And I say that because the FFSG would have to come up with some really good excuses to select Carolina over an in-form Roberta Rodegheiro for Worlds, when Caro has only had a couple of the higher-ranked Senior B's under her belt (all the other higher-ranked Senior B's are before Christmas; the other Senior B's in the period where she is eligible only attract lower-ranked skaters).

So, if Carolina does intend to go to the Olympics in 2018, she is going to have only half an Olympic-cycle to build up to it! :eek:

There again, look at what Pang / Tong did in Sochi after only being back competing for 22 months. Or what Plushenko did in the Olympic Team competition in Sochi, having only done 1 international competition in that entire Olympic cycle (and that was 2 years earlier!)

So, she could still pull it off in that time scale! ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
(Just jumped in at the end here....so C. was banned for helping her lover evade detection? So many moral questions...

No. She was banned for lying to the authorities about it, and continuing to lie even when they knew darn well she was. And she has shown zero remorse and does not even seem to understand why what she did was so wrong, so IMO she should have been forced to serve out the full term of her ban.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Hohoho... Would love to have her back, and see more potential farce at Europeans Championship. As much as often over marked as she is, at least I kind of understand it, compare to the current crop of ridiculous inflated young skaters who never had to earn it on their own through years of hard work and proven results (Liza aside ish).

Proportional punishment ... proportionate response. I think she has been through enough for a silly mistake protecting a love(d) one. How often have we been guilty of it on whim and only regret it afterwards? Loyalty over common sense, urge to tell white lies to cover up for love ones. She should have confessed after brain catches up with heart, especially for being a professional athelete, but that is why she has been punished. But enough is enough...

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Hohoho... Would love to have her back, and see more potential farce at Europeans Championship. As much as often over marked as she is, at least I kind of understand it, compare to the current crop of ridiculous inflated young skaters who never had to earn it on their own through years of hard work and proven results (Liza aside ish).

Proportional punishment ... proportionate response. I think she has been through enough for a silly mistake protecting a love(d) one. How often have we been guilty of it on whim and only regret it afterwards? Loyalty over common sense, urge to tell white lies to cover up for love ones. She should have confessed after brain catches up with heart, especially for being a professional athelete, but that is why she has been punished. But enough is enough...

I remember that one time I posted a reply in this thread to say that somebody's comment was the most balanced and fair assessment of the situation that I had read in a long time. So, I just looked up my list of past posts in this thread, and found that it was way back in January that I said that!

Well, you have now taken that over the ownership of that honour! What a brilliant summary! Completely balanced and completely fair.

Well done, os168!!! :bow: :clap: :points:

CaroLiza_fan

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
No. She was banned for lying to the authorities about it, and continuing to lie even when they knew darn well she was. And she has shown zero remorse and does not even seem to understand why what she did was so wrong, so IMO she should have been forced to serve out the full term of her ban.
She will not compete for over 1 year and 4 months, so she's actually serving the full ban. I don't think that she would have been prepared to compete this season (if she wanted to, we don't know) anyway. I must say that I'm a little disapointed now, because we don't get a CAS ruling.
I think she knows exactly what she did and the question still is wether what she did was wrong or not. Morally wrong, yes, but did she really violate the anti doping code? You cannot hold it against her that she hasn't shown remorse, her lawyers must have told her not to.
I don't think that she will compete again, it would be great to see her but she's had a very very good last season and can be satisfied with how her competitive career ended.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I don't think she seriously was going to come back to competitive skating she ended on a high with oly and world bronze She is a beautiful skater but prone to disastrous skates worse than Hanyu or Chan competing against the Americans Russians and Japanese ladies as they now stand I think she knows it would be tough - she might not say it out loud though. If those 9 skaters beat her and add a Korean, Chinese, Canadian and Kaz she could be out of the top ten if marked fairly. I wish her the best and hopefully she and everyone can move on - she definitely made a mistake and it wasn't good but hopefully it is behind her now.

deneb

On the Ice
End of ban confirmed on 31st December. As of 1st January she can compete.

http://www.ansa.it/sito/notizie/fla...re-_57145d8e-05bc-44f5-8d17-16d2cb5fdad3.html
http://www.coni.it/it/news/primo-pi...troversia-con-la-wada-e-la-nado-italiana.html
http://www.tas-cas.org/fileadmin/user_upload/Media_Release_3940_II.pdf

And on her website it's also confirmed that she can start the official training as of 1st November.
Press conference tomorrow at 11 am CEST in Milan.

http://www.carolina-kostner.it/I-Home.htm

Last edited:

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
End of ban confirmed on 31st December. As of 1st January she can compete.

http://www.ansa.it/sito/notizie/fla...re-_57145d8e-05bc-44f5-8d17-16d2cb5fdad3.html
http://www.coni.it/it/news/primo-pi...troversia-con-la-wada-e-la-nado-italiana.html
http://www.tas-cas.org/fileadmin/user_upload/Media_Release_3940_II.pdf

And on her website it's also confirmed that she can start the official training as of 1st November.
Press conference tomorrow at 11 am CEST in Milan.

http://www.carolina-kostner.it/I-Home.htm

So she still is guilty, just went soft in her penalty ? Anyway, I don´t think she will compete again

Lys

Match Penalty
So she still is guilty, just went soft in her penalty ?

No, the funny thing is her sentence is now harsher than the original one (21 months vs 16 months), but they back-dated it from January 2015 to 1st April 2014.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
No, the funny thing is her sentence is now harsher than the original one (21 months vs 16 months), but they back-dated it from January 2015 to 1st April 2014.

So if her penalty now applies from 01/01/2014, she wasn´t avalaible to compete in Sochi, so she will lost her medal ?

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I don't think that making this deal is the wisest thing she ever did, but she would be beyond stupid to jeopardize her medals with it. ;)

When I realised that it meant that the ban still stood, I was wary as well, because it will still be on her record. And there is a good chance that if she had gone ahead with the appeal, that it would have been overthrown.

On the other hand, there was also the chance that she would have lost the appeal and the sentence could have been increased.

So, with that risk in mind, it was probably the best thing to do the deal, get the ban ended earlier, and get back to normal as soon as possible.

I still would have liked to see the ban overturned, but I'm just happy that this saga is over.

CaroLiza_fan