High fashion awards: Preparation and prediscussion | Golden Skate

High fashion awards: Preparation and prediscussion

icewhite

Record Breaker
In order to create a high fashion award for figure skating I'm looking for members with (practical) knowledge in sewing/fashion/design and especially figure skating - because I'm strong in opinion and weak in knowledge.
If you would like to form an awards committee team with me, please contact me. :pray:

I was thinking that the categories and criteria need to be rather clear, so that the whole event does not, as labgoat feared, become a subject of endless fan wars.

My thoughts so far:

I would only consider competitive outfits since otherwise it's just too much.

It makes sense, in my eyes, to have these two categories for "overall costume" no matter gender or discipline:
Best costume 20th century fan voted
Best costume 21th century fan voted

In addition there would be awards in the following categories purely for the IJS era (for better comparison and because we have better/more detailed pictures)
Best costume female singles
Best costume male singles
Best costumes ice dance (duo)
Best costumes pairs (duo)

Criteria that need to be met in my eyes:
- well crafted
- unity and harmony of concept and details
- looks well in both stillness and motion
- fits the music and program idea
- if nude mesh is included it fits the skin tone; if other illusions are part (e.g. jeans) they look real
- iconic look – I am hesitant to include „creativity“ as a necessary criterion, but instead I would like to use this term: „iconic“. It means the look needs to stand out, it needs to be memorable.
- enhances the program and movements, does not destract from them
- does not change the proportions or the look of other body features in an unflattering way
- works as sports wear in figure skating: does not put the skater at special risk of tripping, is not very likely to tear or shift, does not hinder movement
- classy: this might be the most controversial and difficult to define, but at the least it means the costume is not overtly vulgar or offensive
- fits the personality of the skater or at least does not go against it

Teams' costumes need to work together and they must both have the quality: they can look exactly the same, can be variations of the same concept or complement each other in a completely different way, but they need to be one in the same way that for instance hairstyle, gloves and dress should fit together, and it is not enough if one of them is outstanding and the other is rather forgettable.

Thoughts about these criteria? Additions?

Then I would give out
Special prices:
For the original idea
For creativity

(since both would not be included as necessary criteria)
Any other special prices you would absolutely need?
(I do not want to give out special prices for hair or specific parts of the costume since I think it would become too much.)

Also I would give out a jury award.

Process: I have not yet come up with a really good idea for how this could work. I will think about it a bit more and later post a suggestion. However, if you have ideas or even the solution, please feel free to share!

Since everything is rather vague by now I am really welcoming your advice and help, but please think of this as a fashion award. It's not about your favourite skaters. If you prefer a certain style, please think about if and if yes why this should be a general point of value. Please don't come up with criteria just to fit your most favourite skaters' costumes. ;)

I am also thinking about including an award for simply the most "popular" costume, but fear that this one would require an even more difficult process of evaluation. What do you think?

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I like much of this, but can we have just one show and one gala, separate from the rest, as the most beautiful - and character pitch-perfect - costume of all time never saw competitive ice?
GBOrZCyasAAAn4e.jpg

I also have my nom for the best female competitive costume all ready to go...

Magill

Record Breaker
In order to create a high fashion award for figure skating I'm looking for members with (practical) knowledge in sewing/fashion/design and especially figure skating - because I'm strong in opinion and weak in knowledge.
If you would like to form an awards committee team with me, please contact me. :pray:

I was thinking that the categories and criteria need to be rather clear, so that the whole event does not, as labgoat feared, become a subject of endless fan wars.

My thoughts so far:

I would only consider competitive outfits since otherwise it's just too much.

It makes sense, in my eyes, to have these two categories for "overall costume" no matter gender or discipline:
Best costume 20th century fan voted
Best costume 21th century fan voted

In addition there would be awards in the following categories purely for the IJS era (for better comparison and because we have better/more detailed pictures)
Best costume female singles
Best costume male singles
Best costumes ice dance (duo)
Best costumes pairs (duo)

Criteria that need to be met in my eyes:
- well crafted
- unity and harmony of concept and details
- looks well in both stillness and motion
- fits the music and program idea
- if nude mesh is included it fits the skin tone; if other illusions are part (e.g. jeans) they look real
- iconic look – I am hesitant to include „creativity“ as a necessary criterion, but instead I would like to use this term: „iconic“. It means the look needs to stand out, it needs to be memorable.
- enhances the program and movements, does not destract from them
- does not change the proportions or the look of other body features in an unflattering way
- works as sports wear in figure skating: does not put the skater at special risk of tripping, is not very likely to tear or shift, does not hinder movement
- classy: this might be the most controversial and difficult to define, but at the least it means the costume is not overtly vulgar or offensive
- fits the personality of the skater or at least does not go against it

Teams' costumes need to work together and they must both have the quality: they can look exactly the same, can be variations of the same concept or complement each other in a completely different way, but they need to be one in the same way that for instance hairstyle, gloves and dress should fit together, and it is not enough if one of them is outstanding and the other is rather forgettable.

Thoughts about these criteria? Additions?

Then I would give out
Special prices:
For the original idea
For creativity

(since both would not be included as necessary criteria)
Any other special prices you would absolutely need?
(I do not want to give out special prices for hair or specific parts of the costume since I think it would become too much.)

Also I would give out a jury award.

Process: I have not yet come up with a really good idea for how this could work. I will think about it a bit more and later post a suggestion. However, if you have ideas or even the solution, please feel free to share!

Since everything is rather vague by now I am really welcoming your advice and help, but please think of this as a fashion award. It's not about your favourite skaters. If you prefer a certain style, please think about if and if yes why this should be a general point of value. Please don't come up with criteria just to fit your most favourite skaters' costumes. ;)

I am also thinking about including an award for simply the most "popular" costume, but fear that this one would require an even more difficult process of evaluation. What do you think?
I would rather add a category of "most recognizable" than "most popular" as this is what I actually value a lot in FS costumes which are stage outfits serving different aims than just styling yourself for a night-out which should be remembered when we talk of them. If "most popular" means "best liked", the vagueness of this category will make it easily slip into just another fan war with groups of fans voting in fact for their favourite skaters rather than costumes,. "Most recognizable" is better defined, has a touch of objectivity in it and sends our thinking into a different alley, it just means that a costume makes you know at once, at a first glance, who, what and why - i.e. who is skating, what programme and why wearing this costume. You could also say "most iconic" but I think "most recognizable" is just better defined, less subjective and therefore less fan-war-inducing. Still I would rather have "most iconic" than "most popular", for reasons given above. Just a suggestion :)

icewhite

Record Breaker
I would rather add a category of "most recognizable" than "most popular" as this is what I actually value a lot in FS costumes which are stage outfits serving different aims than just styling yourself for a night-out which should be remembered when we talk of them. If "most popular" means "best liked", the vagueness of this category will make it easily slip into just another fan war with groups of fans voting in fact for their favourite skaters rather than costumes,. "Most recognizable" is better defined, has a touch of objectivity in it and sends our thinking into a different alley, it just means that a costume makes you know at once, at a first glance, who, what and why - i.e. who is skating, what programme and why wearing this costume. You could also say "most iconic" but I think "most recognizable" is just better defined, less subjective and therefore less fan-war-inducing. Still I would rather have "most iconic" than "most popular", for reasons given above. Just a suggestion :)

The "most popular" would be exactly to have a purely emotional voting for your favourite, no objective arguments needed... to "outsource" this from the more objective awards. But I don't know how it would work out.

Magill

Record Breaker
The "most popular" would be exactly to have a purely emotional voting for your favourite, no objective arguments needed... to "outsource" this from the more objective awards. But I don't know how it would work out.
I am pretty sure at least substantial portion of the vote, if not all of them, would be votes given in fact for skaters and not so much for their costumes so this would be the popularity vote you would get and not the one you seem to be interested in. TBH, the probability is high it will go this way anyway, no matter what you call it. That's why I am highly skeptical.

icewhite

Record Breaker
I am pretty sure at least substantial portion of the vote, if not all of them, would be votes given in fact for skaters and not so much for their costumes so this would be the popularity vote you would get and not the one you seem to be interested in. TBH, the probability is high it will go this way anyway, no matter what you call it. That's why I am highly skeptical.

I don't know, can people be so biased? These are awards for the designers, not for the skaters, unless that is one and the same person, but there aren't many skaters who do that.

Magill

Record Breaker
I don't know, can people be so biased? These are awards for the designers, not for the skaters, unless that is one and the same person, but there aren't many skaters who do that.
Well, fans are biased. This is what being a fan is about - partly and not necessarily intentionally but factually anyway. :)

Last edited:

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
I think people would be biased towards the skater over the designer.

I'd like an award for a seasonal body of work for a designer. They work with so many skaters who may not be as well known and wouldn't necessarily be nominated.

Arigato

Final Flight
Country
United-States

Unfortunately, yes. I am not one of them, though. There is a Japanese designer by the name of Satomi Ito. She also wrote a book on costume design. Her designs are for both men and women and many skaters have sought her out for her skill, attention to detail, and creativity. Many of hers are stunning, I couldn't even pick just one. Has she designed for some of my favorite skaters? Sure. But not all her designs hit me as great just because they're being worn by someone whose skating I like. That would make no sense to me. If something looks like crap, I don't care if my favorite skater was wearing it. Crap is crap. And believe me, over the years I have said out loud "Who is responsible for putting this crap on their body? So, no, I look at the costumes in isolation. Now, will a good-looking person help a design? Sure. But not enough to say it's a great design. Not in my book.

icewhite

Record Breaker
I think people would be biased towards the skater over the designer.

I'd like an award for a seasonal body of work for a designer. They work with so many skaters who may not be as well known and wouldn't necessarily be nominated.

Okay, I'm thinking about a process that reduces the impact of fan voting... but if anyone has input... I'll take it!!

I have thought about naming the designer instead of the skater, but honestly it would be too much work for me... so unless someone knows where to find this info, willing to help out, that's not possible for me.

Mathematician

Pilgrim on a long journey
Medalist
Is this a seasonal competition or an all time consideration?

Also where/how are costumes nominated

icewhite

Record Breaker
Unfortunately, yes. I am not one of them, though. There is a Japanese designer by the name of Satomi Ito. She also wrote a book on costume design. Her designs are for both men and women and many skaters have sought her out for her skill, attention to detail, and creativity. Many of hers are stunning, I couldn't even pick just one. Has she designed for some of my favorite skaters? Sure. But not all her designs hit me as great just because they're being worn by someone whose skating I like. That would make no sense to me. If something looks like crap, I don't care if my favorite skater was wearing it. Crap is crap. And believe me, over the years I have said out loud "Who is responsible for putting this crap on their body? So, no, I look at the costumes in isolation. Now, will a good-looking person help a design? Sure. But not enough to say it's a great design. Not in my book.

I also don't really get it. For instance I love Kaori and that's why I have been especially disappointed with her packaging this season - because I thought she deserved better. I would not think all her dresses are great, just because I really like her as a skater and person.
But maybe that's because I'm not a super fan, not even of Kevin Aymoz, who is now my favourite active skater, and maybe the problem also becomes worse in cases where the costume is actually very good- and as a fan we might then think its superb.

I'm definitely trying to take this into account.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
Okay, I'm thinking about a process that reduces the impact of fan voting... but if anyone has input... I'll take it!!

I have thought about naming the designer instead of the skater, but honestly it would be too much work for me... so unless someone knows where to find this info, willing to help out, that's not possible for me.
Instagram tags are a source, either from the designer or the skater. I'd be happy to help out with finding the designers for this :)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think fans would favor their favorite skater. It is the nature of fandom. :)

Jason is my favorite skater, but I would not nominate his costumes. Of late (some misses in the past :biggrin:) they have been great, showing off his lines and extension, fitting his esthetic, enhancing his programs. But I still would not nominate them. He uses the same designer, so it would be easier to nominate his designer.

I would for example nominate Donovan Carrillo. He has a style that is all his own, you could probably recognize a Donovan costume even if he wasn't wearing it, and They. Are. Gorgeous. He also incorporates his Mexican heritage into each one. He does not use one designer, so the nominee would be Donovan.

But of course Donovan is also one of my faves. I would know my fav's costumes the best, as would any fan.

icewhite

Record Breaker
I think fans would favor their favorite skater. It is the nature of fandom. :)

Jason is my favorite skater, but I would not nominate his costumes. Of late (some misses in the past :biggrin:) they have been great, showing off his lines and extension, fitting his esthetic, enhancing his programs. But I still would not nominate them. He uses the same designer, so it would be easier to nominate his designer.

I would for example nominate Donovan Carrillo. He has a style that is all his own, you could probably recognize a Donovan costume even if he wasn't wearing it, and They. Are. Gorgeous. He also incorporates his Mexican heritage into each one. He does not use one designer, so the nominee would be Donovan.

But of course Donovan is also one of my faves. I would know my fav's costumes the best, as would any fan.

Actually I have made a list of my favourite costumes in the past, and there are skaters on it I like, skaters I don't like... most of them are from the past... when I only losely followed skating... I really find this hard to understand... although I would not call myself completely unbiased I think it would hurt my heart more to let a costume win that does not "deserve" it than to not give it so my favourite skaters, lol... but maybe that's also because I'm really an irrational fan of fashion. :hap10:

Instagram tags are a source, either from the designer or the skater. I'd be happy to help out with finding the designers for this :)

Thanks!! I don't think I would like to give out an award for a season's work or such (or only in addition) it would be about the individual costume. But that would help massively, if we could name the designer.

icewhite

Record Breaker
Okay, so how about this: each member is allowed to nominate 3 costumes per category. The committee (which will hopefully grow because right now it's just me) will decide whether to put these on the list of final nominees. We will decide which costumes to put on the final lists. Members can then give points to 3 of these costumes (per list/ category): 5 points- 3 points - 1 point.
In any case not more than 3 outfits per skater will be allowed on the lists.
Outfits with most points win.

In the best case the designer is already named in the first nomination, if not, we will try to find out.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I've been a fashion designer, tailor and costumier for a long time. A loooooooonnnnnggg time. And yes, these days I mostly do figure skating costumes, which is enormous fun, especially when I get a skater who is willing to think "outside the box" and be a bit brave.

I think asking for nominations and people to vote is an invitation to all out fan wars. Which could be entertaining but is more likely to be, frankly, tedious and unpleasant for those not invested in defending their favourite skater at all costs.

I tend to award a Golden Cabbage award each season to the skater with the costume I consider the least attractive/most ghastly. Occasionally I award two Golden Cabbages, as I find disagreeing with myself to also be tedious and conducive to indigestion.

I also have a "Who Knew Knickers Were Optional?!" award, which usually goes to the same skater every season.

I'm not up for being on a panel, though, despite being perfectly qualified, as I don't like confrontation and war.

If anyone wants me, I'll be in my studio under a ton of Spandex and crystals... :cool:

Magill

Record Breaker
Okay, so how about this: each member is allowed to nominate 3 costumes per category. The committee (which will hopefully grow because right now it's just me) will decide whether to put these on the list of final nominees. We will decide which costumes to put on the final lists. Members can then give points to 3 of these costumes (per list/ category): 5 points- 3 points - 1 point.
In any case not more than 3 outfits per skater will be allowed on the lists.
Outfits with most points win.

In the best case the designer is already named in the first nomination, if not, we will try to find out.
I wonder why insist on doing it while so many people think it will go wild and end up as a successful invitation to another fan war?
Maybe we could just have a celebration of what we think best costumes the way we had celebrated best spins, best step sequences, best choreo etc. without any rankings and votes which seems so much safer way to do that? And by safer I also mean more fun and less meanness for everyone. Just because they added such a feature as voting does not mean you necessarily need to make use of it.
Myself I don't even see what such a vote would represent in the end of the day as we all know perfectly well that this forum is not representative of any wider population, by no means for figure skating fans or anything like that. So what's the use?