Ilia Malinin | Page 32 | Golden Skate

Ilia Malinin

reader3

Chicago Lady
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Ilia leaving soon for SOI Jpn, then later Canada. There's no SOI U.S. this year.

Stars on Ice

dostSpenroa7h74497h76720gf9ahg22lcg197gg619781c2590lif43lglh ·

Ilia Malinin won his first World Championship with a record-breaking free skate score in Montreal on Saturday night. Yuma Kagiyama finished second, and Adam Siao Him Fa pulled up from 19th place in the short program to finish third. Congratulations to all of the men’s medalists! Ilia will return to #SOIJapan next weekend and will tour Canada with #StarsOnIce for the first time later this spring!

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alright. So @reader3 kindly messaged me that at 6 pm EST, there would be a feature on our local CBS station on Ilia. I watched it and will post the link here when it becomes available.

Edit: And here it is.

Last edited:

reader3

Chicago Lady
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Last edited:

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
An epic skate from an epic skater! Enjoy the moment Ilia fans! It's very special. He worked very hard for that medal and he deserved it. That was the definition of skating lights out! The lucky audience got to see Figure Skating history made and see some great skating! Congrats to Ilia!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom

Interesting article about Ilia, in the British newspaper the Guardian (which rarely reports on figure skating).

(However, this paragraph doesn't ring true: "All sports need stars. And the curiously sparse crowds over the first three days in Montreal, as it played host to figure skating’s biggest competition outside the Olympics for the first time since 1932, spoke to a transitional period.")

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Well...now I kind of want to go...LOL

Hitting up my 2 bffs and hope that they'll be free.

Last edited:

Kris135

On the Ice
And just like that, Ilia's World performances from NBC are gone. Unbelievable... The number was still rising at 3.2 million views, and now no one can watch again.
Welcome to the wonderful world of NBC. They are trying to do anything they can to make sure that figure skating does not become more popular again. I am getting sick of this. I am tried of them trying to hide Ilia like some shameful secret. I am sorry that Ilia is not what NBC wants but he is what you have. He is world champion what more could they want. They keep doing this for no good reason. What are they afraid of? Having millions of new skating fans who will watch figure skating which will help NBC bottom line going into the 2026 Olympics where Ilia is going to be your headliner so I wish they would give him the respect and the coverage he deserves. I really want the USFS to take the coverage of Ilia's free skate and post on their YouTube page and then dare NBC to take it back down again.

cailuj365

On the Ice
Well, I don't think it's Ilia-specific for NBC. They took down all of the Worlds skates, not just his. It's just really frustrating that these copyright issues just so happened to start the year Ilia turned senior though so there are really no good quality skating videos of him on YouTube... Ilia has the on-ice charisma and style to pique interest in the sport outside the small, devoted FS fan base, but it's never going to go anywhere if his home country won't even keep online one of the most astounding performances that the sport has ever seen. There were so many posts from major media outlets and celebs who watched this skate and so many comments in the vein of "I don't watch figure skating, but this was incredible."

I suppose we should be happy that he even had so many people watching. To me, it just shows me that people are still interested in figure skating when it's presented to them, and they ARE thrilled by incredible jumps, big tricks, and clean skates. When a video has enough views, you can see the "most viewed" points of the video, and Ilia's was the 4A, the whole 2nd half of the program starting from 4Lz-Eu-3F, raspberry twist (peak views), and when he received his score. If anything, I feel sorry that Ilia himself won't be able to go back and watch and relive the moment in HQ glory! Let's hope he has a good VPN.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don’t understand what these copyright issues are. This is incredibly frustrating. We want to be able to keep it up forever and for others to see. Ilia’s FP was phenomenal and if it was taken down because fears of copyright, NBC has enough money to pay whoever.

I said this since I started becoming a fan of figure skating. The ones who are complaining about copyright that their music is being used or whatever need to grow up and stop acting like a child. You’re being credited. And let’s know this: skaters are being transformative by skating to music. Transforming it into another piece of art. Not happy it’s being used? Then don’t make music.

It started after the 2018-2019 season started pretty much on stuff not exactly being the most available. NBC needs to stop being afraid on copyright. They’re a multi-billion dollar company.

In the meantime, I’ll link a tweet with the archived video of his FP.