Is The Idea Of American Figure Skating's 'Ice Princess' Dead? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Is The Idea Of American Figure Skating's 'Ice Princess' Dead?

Sk8erGeek

Rinkside
The idea is very much alive based on this article. But the actual American "Ice Princess" has never existed. The term American "Ice Princess" is a misnomer. The Olympics and World Championships are not principalities. The selection process of the Gold Medalist is more democratic than monarchical via judging and applause (popular). If the gold medal was awarded to a certain American skater no matter how poorly she performed then said skater would be a an American "Ice Princess". The only other definition of a princess is "a spoiled or arrogant young woman". I really hope that definition of princess is not what any of these women and girls are striving to be. The article should read "Is The Idea Of American Figure Skating's Olympic Gold Medalist' Dead?".

On another note, most of my friends and acquaintances who do not regularly watch figure skating think that Ashley, Gracie and Polina are very similar despite Figure Skating's futile attempts to brand them as polar opposites. America has had many sweethearts in Hollywood other than Grace Kelly, like Jessica Alba, Julia Roberts, Gabby Douglas etc... Some serious rebranding is needed to bring in "new" fans.

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
The idea is very much alive based on this article. But the actual American "Ice Princess" has never existed. The term American "Ice Princess" is a misnomer. The Olympics and World Championships are not principalities. The selection process of the Gold Medalist is more democratic than monarchical via judging and applause (popular). If the gold medal was awarded to a certain American skater no matter how poorly she performed then said skater would be a an American "Ice Princess". The only other definition of a princess is "a spoiled or arrogant young woman". I really hope that definition of princess is not what any of these women and girls are striving to be. The article should read "Is The Idea Of American Figure Skating's Olympic Gold Medalist' Dead?".

On another note, most of my friends and acquaintances who do not regularly watch figure skating think that Ashley, Gracie and Polina are very similar despite Figure Skating's futile attempts to brand them as polar opposites. America has had many sweethearts in Hollywood other than Grace Kelly, like Jessica Alba, Julia Roberts, Gabby Douglas etc... Some serious rebranding is needed to bring in "new" fans.

I think with the term "princess," people aren't using in the monarchical sense of the word, but in the feminine, sugary-sweet, and polite connotation of the word.

Sk8erGeek

Rinkside
I think with the term "princess," people aren't using in the monarchical sense of the word, but in the feminine, sugary-sweet, and polite connotation of the word.
The term princess does not invoke the feeling of sugary-sweet to everyone. But if feminine and polite are the specific connotations the article is referring to all figure skaters are princesses.

louisa05

Final Flight

Young women can be feminine and polite and still be strong and competitive. Being feminine does not mean someone is weak or second class. When we decide to make it mean that by any connotation, we are being misogynistic.

andromache

Record Breaker
Young women can be feminine and polite and still be strong and competitive. Being feminine does not mean someone is weak or second class. When we decide to make it mean that by any connotation, we are being misogynistic.

I agree completely. However, based on the article, it seems as though women demonstrating their strength and competitive spirit is not necessarily feminine or "princess-like." Because we live in a misogynistic culture, unfortunately, where outspoken women are not viewed as the feminine ideal (and perhaps may be part of the reason why Ashley gets a lot of negative comments for saying she wants to win or beat the other ladies, whereas skaters like Plushenko tend to be applauded for their competitive fire.)

Sk8erGeek

Rinkside
:thumbsup: The feeling this article gives off is that any figure skater who does not fit "their" definition of princess is not ideal. If a skater is masculine but still able to put together crowd pleasing performances. People will watch said skater and not be turned off.

The article's characterization of "pricessy" is either "caste and elegant like Peggy Fleming" or "perky and cute as a button like Dorothy Hamill." In this sense, yes, the idea of the American Ice Princess is dead and has been replaced by the meem of the outspoken and gutsy competitor.

Sk8erGeek

Rinkside
I agree completely. However, based on the article, it seems as though women demonstrating their strength and competitive spirit is not necessarily feminine or "princess-like." Because we live in a misogynistic culture, unfortunately, where outspoken women are not viewed as the feminine ideal (and perhaps may be part of the reason why Ashley gets a lot of negative comments for saying she wants to win or beat the other ladies, whereas skaters like Plushenko tend to be applauded for their competitive fire.)
That may be true but current western culture is a bit more progressive than this article implies.

:thumbsup: The feeling this article gives off is that any figure skater who does not fit "their" definition of princess is not ideal.

I got the exact opposite feeling from the article. I think they are saying that the old definition and ideal of "ice princess" is dead, and now there is a new ideal.

mnm464

On the Ice
I guess the term is a bit dead, but it has been brought back to life again with new meaning to the American people. A newer generation of skaters that want themselves to be portrayed as fierce competition.. Also, western culture sometimes is a bit more ruff around the edges compared to say, Asian countries. For example, Kim Yu Na is very "quiet" compared to Ashley or Gracie. It's just a matter of perspective really.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
For example, Kim Yu Na is very "quiet" compared to Ashley or Gracie. It's just a matter of perspective really.

Yuna may be more quiet but she comes across as a much fiercer competitor when she skates. She doesn't usually look like she is thinking about choreography or the next technical element, she just executes her programs and makes it look easy. Ashley and Gracie seem to be concentrating a bit more when they skate and that may be why people view them as fierce competitors.

Sk8erGeek

Rinkside
Yuna may be more quiet but she comes across as a much fiercer competitor when she skates. She doesn't usually look like she is thinking about choreography or the next technical element, she just executes her programs and makes it look easy. Ashley and Gracie seem to be concentrating a bit more when they skate and that may be why people view them as fierce competitors.
I agree. Yuna is so fierce when she is skating.

I guess the term is a bit dead, but it has been brought back to life again with new meaning to the American people. A newer generation of skaters that want themselves to be portrayed as fierce competition.. Also, western culture sometimes is a bit more ruff around the edges compared to say, Asian countries. For example, Kim Yu Na is very "quiet" compared to Ashley or Gracie. It's just a matter of perspective really.
Yuna's personality is Universally likable. Based on other people I know (that usually don't watch Figure Skating) Ashley and Gracie are more polarizing. And, it's not because they aren't quiet.

cooper

Medalist
I agree. Yuna is so fierce when she is skating.

Yuna's personality is Universally likable. Based on other people I know (that usually don't watch Figure Skating) Ashley and Gracie are more polarizing. And, it's not because they aren't quiet.

eh. yuna got a lot of hate during the orser fiasco too during her infamous tweet and post on her korean site. but she learned from it. that's why she's more careful of her words plus after winning everything she just didn't care.

in terms of skating, well it's a matter of preference. yuna's favorite skater is kwan. she doesn't skate similar to kwan though.

as for the americans, well am i the only who thinks that most americans are criticial with their own athletes? regardless if she's skating like an american princess or dominating.

Last edited:

Sk8erGeek

Rinkside
eh. yuna got a lot of hate during the orser fiasco too during her infamous tweet and post on her korean site. but she learned from it. that's why she's more careful of her words plus after winning everything she just didn't care.

in terms of skating, well it's a matter of preference. yuna's favorite skater is kwan. she doesn't skate similar to kwan though.

as for the americans, well am i the only who thinks that most americans are criticial with their own athletes? regardless if she's skating like an american princess or dominating.
I'm not sure. What I do know is Americans like to have a star on every team. Also our TV stations like to have an athlete that can sell products by increasing viewership. Americans may purchase products based on the recommendation of a favorite athlete. The criticism of the female Figure Skaters is because viewership for the women's events are falling whilst the viewership for the men's events are on the rise. Less viewership means less advertisers are willing to pay the network leading to less money for USFSA. Several millions of people know of Gracie Gold and I saw many commercials advertising for The US Figure Skating Championships yet people chose not to watch.

PullingForSasha

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Class, not Crass

Her programs at Nats were nothing less than STUNNING, and I yelled like the (cough) Bears just won the Super Bowl. – And she is not even my favorite skater. I also get tired of skaters with polite, smiling pat answers during interviews. Gracie doesn’t bother me with that, because I think she has the :cool: factor, and during interviews she strikes me as expecting us to know that she is just going through the motions, doesn’t like the SILLY questions, and simply wants to get back to practice. LOL

What I DO expect is at least a modicum of class, not crass. I was in complete agreement with last year’s decision to send Ashley instead of Mirai. What I did NOT like was Ashley’s constant whining and complaining about the whole situation when she was CHOSEN to be there, with a broken hearted skater and her fans left behind. During that time, I had about five people thrown off of her Facebook, and three BANNED from all of FB for their HORRIBLE comments about this woman. – A couple of which were downright threatening.
I agree that the term. “Ice Princess” is so yesterday, and delivered by the proper ignorant announcer or interviewer, it is simply demeaning.

All of that said, after watching the post LP interview on Ice Channel, this woman is an I guy, and sounds like somebody from Celebrity Apprentice. LOL
Let’s hope that at worlds, she can back 70% of it up, and will not get blown all the way off the pewter podium by the Russians.

Last edited:

Sk8erGeek

Rinkside
Her programs at Nats were nothing less than STUNNING, and I yelled like the (cough) Bears just won the Super Bowel. – And she is not even my favorite skater. I also get tired of skaters with polite, smiling pat answers during interviews. Gracie doesn’t bother me with that, because I think she has the :cool: factor, and during interviews she strikes me as expecting us to know that she is just going through the motions, doesn’t like the SILLY questions, and simply wants to get back to practice. LOL

What I DO expect is at least a modicum of class, not crass. I was in complete agreement with last year’s decision to send Ashley instead of Mirai. What I did NOT like was Ashley’s constant whining and complaining about the whole situation when she was CHOSEN to be there, with a broken hearted skater and her fans left behind. During that time, I had about five people thrown off of her Facebook, and three BANNED from all of FB for their HORRIBLE comments about this woman. – A couple of which were downright threatening.
I agree that the term. “Ice Princess” is so yesterday, and delivered by the proper ignorant announcer or interviewer, it is simply demeaning.

All of that said, after watching the post LP interview on Ice Channel, this woman is an I guy, and sounds like somebody from Celebrity Apprentice. LOL
Let’s hope that at worlds, she can back 70% of it up, and will not get blown all the way off the pewter podium by the Russians.
Do you think that turned some people off so much they didn't watch?