ISU Figure skating Awards | Page 8 | Golden Skate

News ISU Figure skating Awards

News
Impossible to predict what her involvement would or wouldn't do..She got a bunch of kids to watch the Super Bowl which is no small feat. At this point, why not try anything?

Just for fun I Googled "Taylor Swift Ice Skating. 8.8 million returns. It seems that every skating rink has a "Taylor Swift night" or a "Taylor Swift competition." Here is a typical one:

As for making young kids watch the Super Bowl, I guess they figure, "Hey, there must be something to this football thing if Taylor Swift likes it. I thpught only my parents did."

cailuj365

On the Ice
Canada is "rebuilding." It hapens in sports.

As for Nathan, I think your assessment is right. He had an outstanding competitive career and received the amount of attention and media coverage that was available. He also benefitted from being personable and "cool." The 2010 Olympic champion, on the other hand -- bet you had to think a minute before you recalled who it was. :)

Did not have to think about it! I got into figure skating because of Johnny Weir, and so of course I remember his mongoose rival. Though I was less enamored with Weir as the years went on, Johnny obviously did way more to bring media attention to skating (and still does). You don't have to be a winner, but you have be around for awhile and be a personality, and that's what Johnny did.

If Taylor Swift sang at an Art On Ice type televised concert, all of the skaters' social media follower count would explode. Did any young girl even know who Travis Kelce was one year ago?

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
If Taylor Swift sang at an Art On Ice type televised concert, all of the skaters' social media follower count would explode. Did any young girl even know who Travis Kelce was one year ago?
I have no doubt that having her at a show would bring a flood of kids of all ages and some of them might even stick around to watch skating after her. There's just one incy-wincy, teeny tiny problem.............. :laugh:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just for fun I Googled "Taylor Swift Ice Skating. 8.8 million returns. It seems that every skating rink has a "Taylor Swift night" or a "Taylor Swift competition." Here is a typical one:

As for making young kids watch the Super Bowl, I guess they figure, "Hey, there must be something to this football thing if Taylor Swift likes it. I thpught only my parents did."

This is how the Taylor Swift effect is recruiting new fans for the NFL. By having them watch with their parents. To be sexist about it, their dads. Some young Swiftie hanging around the TV hoping to see Taylor at a football game in and of itself might not create a new fan. That same young Swiftie sitting next to dad on the couch may actually end up caring about football.

Now a naturally occurring phenomenon like Taylor and Travis will not repeat itself for skating. Is there another way to bring the generations together?

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
I'll get the Golden Skate Awards started:

Best constume women: Mone Chiba

Bestcostume men Adam Sao Him Fa

Jokes aside, why can't real Golden Skate Award happen? ;)
Forumers could vote for, i.e., "Most Memorable Performance" or "Fan Favorite Program" of the season and then the website might "award" the winner(s) with a very special interview :love: