ISU proposals: Jumps, spin for 2024-25 | Page 5 | Golden Skate

ISU proposals: Jumps, spin for 2024-25

Fans must like jumps the best because skaters get enthusiastic applause after each one, right?

Right... but... the loudest and longest applause comes at the end for the whole program. Does this mean that what fans really like are wonderful programs? Does this mean that we should increase the value of the Program Components vis-a-vis the individual elements? Wjhat conclusions should we draw when Yuzuru Hanyu or Michelle Kwan stop the competition for minutes while the sweepers gather up all the flowers and Winnie-the-Poohs from the ice? What about a gentle program to Moonlight Sonata that is so haunting that the audience sits on its hands while the skating if going on, before erupting in ecstasy at its conclusion?.

On the other hand, people complain about Malinin because he is not Jason Brown, But if you watch his performance with an open mind, Ilia does a lot of skating besides the jumps, with a nice selection of edge moves (I spotted not one but two short transitional spread eagles and goo-gobs of turns that I can't identify, but most readers of this forum can). Plus the quads were not just point-grabbing but flowed together and built steadily through the program in a resounding chporeographic crescendo.

I even liked how he stalked and telegraphed the opening quad Axel, just to let the audience knpw that they were about to witness something of truly epic splendor.

I really don't think that minor changes in the element requirements or scoring conventions will change the character of the programs that we see -- nor the outcomes of competitions.

Last edited:

Yogi

Rinkside
Country
United-States
I continue to have mixed feelings about the backflip. which still seems more appropriate to professional show skating than to a competition. The higher you get off the ice the less you are actually skating. Any gymnast can do a backflip on a tumbling mat that is of a quality that no figure skater can touch.
I, too, would prefer to see backflips in exhibitions only. I can see that it's not all that different from Kevin's aerial. But I would rather see the aerial banned, too, then add the backflip in. I like there being some things you can only see in shows like headbangers and Detroiters. I also agree there backflip doesn't require any skating skill.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Since you basically just accused me of lying, here you go:

Time-stamped. Hit play.

Haha.. i didn't mean it like this. Will watch this later but wanted to clarify. Sometimes, skaters say something but it is not quoted with full context. ;)

Arigato

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Haha.. i didn't mean it like this. Will watch this later but wanted to clarify. Sometimes, skaters say something but it is not quoted with full context. ;)

There's nothing to "watch" later, had you simply hit play you'd hear Nathan saying exactly what was in the quote marks.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
There's nothing to "watch" later, had you simply hit play you'd hear Nathan saying exactly what was in the quote marks.
I cannot simply do this at this precise moment and that's why I thought I'd be nice and just clarify what I meant... But I see that my attempt to be polite was not worth it.

Arigato

Final Flight
Country
United-States
A jump preceded by telegraphing—which should negatively impact GOE if the rules are being followed—is suddenly construed as 'epic splendor'? Uh, no. It isn't. It's annoying and juniorish skating.

Arigato

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I cannot simply do this at this precise moment and that's why I thought I'd be nice and just clarify what I meant... But I see that my attempt to be polite was not worth it.

I really appreciate your apology. Thanks.

Remove all jumps, you'll be skating more.
I know how much you enjoy logic. ;) If your post is intended to read: "If you remove all junps,[/i]then[/i] yu'll be skating more," that implication is true.

The imperative "Remove all jumps" or even "therefore we should remove all jumps -- um... a different kind of sentence, actually. ;)

Arigato

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I know how much you enjoy logic. ;) If your post is intended to read: "If you remove all junps,[/i]then[/i] yu'll be skating more," that implication is true.

The imperative "Remove all jumps" or even "therefore we should remove all jumps -- um... a different kind of sentence, actually. ;)

My post was made that way for a reason. I have no intention of changing it.

A jump preceded by telegraphing—which should negatively impact GOE if the rules are being followed—is suddenly construed as 'epic splendor'? Uh, no. It isn't. It's annoying and juniorish skating.
:( I had to Google synonyms for "amazing" to come up with "epic spendor." :(

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I finally was able to watch this... yeah... this is what I thought though... I wouldn't give much value to this... a marketing fluff stunt... nothing very meaningful in there. ... So yeah... Nathan said it... but just even the tone in his voice is making this HA ! :)

cailuj365

On the Ice
I don't like allowing a skater to repeat 3 jumps. Seems way too redundant and doesn't encourage skaters to work on their weaker jumps. Just watch, Ilia Malinin will do three quad axels to compensate for the other proposed rules that could potentially hurt him. :laugh:

Agree that spins and steps could be worth more.

Arigato

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I don't like allowing a skater to repeat 3 jumps. Seems way too redundant and doesn't encourage skaters to work on their weaker jumps. Just watch, Ilia Malinin will do three quad axels to compensate for the other proposed rules that could potentially hurt him. :laugh:
I thought the exact same thing. lol.