Japanese Nationals 2015-16 Ladies FS | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Japanese Nationals 2015-16 Ladies FS

eta

Medalist
So I passed out in the middle of watching live results page refreshing itself... so sad to see Rika not making the podium. :cry:

But great for Mao! Now to find some videos...

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Here you go. Heartbreakingly beautiful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-sPW4jpF80
Yes, Japan Open performance was great - not fully polished, due to being so early in the season, a couple of doubled/singled jumps... but it was beautiful anyway.

And the camera work was very good for once! (No skycam, close-ups were not the usual I-want-to-punch-the-director affairs, and they even used a couple of nice wide-angle views instead of close-ups during spins)

clippers8200

On the Ice
Judges were very conservative on her GOE marks IMO. Also marked her as UR for the 3A and 2A-3T. This program really has massive scoring potential - it's beautiful and I can't wait to see it clean.

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
Is there a medal ceremony link anywhere?

KweenAsada

On the Ice
Mao might not go to the Olympics at this rate....

The juniors will surpass her by 2018 if she doesn't up her game.

I, like alot of her fans thought Mao was going to return and steamroll over the competition. Unfortunately, that has not happened.

About the Olympics, though. If she doesn't medal or win at the next two Worlds I do not see her going for it. If she DOES do well at Worlds I think her going to the Olympics is a certainty. My God, if she was to win I would cry like a baby.

She is my favorite skater outside of Michelle Kwan, so ya know, a win at the Olympics would mean alot...to put it mildly. LOL!

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Said this before and have to say it again, Satoko has EVERYTHING except for big jumps. Her artistry, lines, spins, spiral, musicality, artistry, is impeccable. I'd put her above Evegnia on those, and second to only Mao (in prime form).

Last edited:

Icey

Record Breaker
I'm sorry but what was the point of this? Someone was asking for a clean version of Mao's Madame Butterfly

No, the requestor wrote:

The skating gods must allow us a clean Madama Butterfly at least once. No mention is made that it was restricted to Mao's, although that might have been implied.

AprilS

On the Ice
No, the requestor wrote:

The skating gods must allow us a clean Madama Butterfly at least once. No mention is made that it was restricted to Mao's, although that might have been implied.

I thought Shizuka skated to Turnadot. Or was it a Madame Butterfly-Turnadot mashup?

AprilS

On the Ice
It is POSSIBLE since she got credit for each element she tries in the LP this season (but in different competitions). Likely? No. Possible? Yes.
3A done more than once
3F-3L done at NHK trophy SP
3Lz - done with full credit at GPF
2A-3T done more than once
3L done more than once
3S done more than once
3F-2L-2L done more than once

Wow, I re-watched her FS and that lutz was totally on the correct edge! :clap: Now I hope she can rotate her X-3L combos and gain some consistency :hap10: (though I must admit I've kinda given up on her and an pleasantly surprised when she does well like at Sochi). As unlikely as it seems at this point, I want her to win worlds this year.

solar

Medalist
Country
United-States
I thought Shizuka skated to Turnadot. Or was it a Madame Butterfly-Turnadot mashup?

Shizuka did skate to Turandot at 2006 Olympics, not Madame Butterfly. Although both operas are by Puccini so I understand the mix up :laugh:

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Wow, I re-watched her FS and that lutz was totally on the correct edge! :clap: Now I hope she can rotate her X-3L combos and gain some consistency :hap10: (though I must admit I've kinda given up on her and an pleasantly surprised when she does well like at Sochi). As unlikely as it seems at this point, I want her to win worlds this year.

I downloaded Mao's FS video from Dailymotion and have been playing back that lutz over and over at 0.1x speed, from both camera angles. I just can't get over it. It is now my "jump of the season."

She learned a new jump at age 25 and has now landed it successfully in competition (rotated and on one foot), after 20 years of skating. I consider it an astounding achievement and I would happily buy up her stock from anyone who wishes to sell.

skatespin

On the Ice
Does anyone else feel like Yuna Shiraiwa was underscored?

I know she's a junior, but she has difficult clean programs and is a well-rounded skater. She even did 3L-3T-2T in second half!!! I don't understand why Wakaba placed 3 spot ahead of her.

What am I missing?

Last edited:

solar

Medalist
Country
United-States
Does anyone else feel like Yuna Shiraiwa was underscored?

I know she's a junior, but she has difficult clean programs and is a well-rounded skater. She even did 3L-3T-2T in second half!!! I don't understand why Wakaba placed 3 spot ahead of her.

What am I missing?

Maybe there were some calls on her jumps? I'll have to look at the scoresheets

jkun

Final Flight
Said this before and have to say it again, Satoko has EVERYTHING except for big jumps. Her artistry, lines, spins, spiral, musicality, artistry, is impeccable. I'd put her above Evegnia on those, and second to only Mao (in prime form).

She doesn't have triple jumps PERIOD. It's not that her jumps are small, it's that they are non-existant. How those are ratified as valid triples is really not fair to everyone who actually rotates ~3 rotations in the air.

randomfan

Record Breaker
I just finished watching the videos right now! I was so busy today and forgot about this competition. I did not post for the SP so I will combine my SP and FS comments here.

1. Satoko: No big surprise here. Satoko is gorgeous AND consistent. She just handles the pressure so well. It's great to see one of my favourite SPs of the season and my absolute most favourite FS of the season being skated so cleanly so many times. I'm very excited for next year!
2. Wakaba: After a disappointing JGP season, it was nice to see Wakaba have two strong skates here. While I do think her SP score was a bit too high, I still enjoyed both programs! She is definitely someone to look out for when she becomes a senior.
3. Mao: She looked very nervous throughout the competition. She had some mistakes here and there but overall, it was a solid showing for her. I'm so glad that she got onto the podium and she is going to 4CC and Worlds! I hope she rests well during the break!
4. Rika: After skating so consistently for a long while, I can't say that I haven't been expecting seeing her struggle. Whenever I watch a consistent skater, it always gets to me that the skater can be consistent all the time and then suddenly give a flawed peformance. Along with Rostelecom Cup, she seems to be struggling a lot right now, but I am supporting her! Like Mao, it's so exciting to see her go to 4CCs and Worlds!
5. Yuna: What a pleasant skater! She was just such a joy to watch. Skating cleanly as the very first skater in the SP and making the final group was already a big accomplishment. But she had a solid FS as well which is beyond impressive. Her skating style kind of reminds me of Zijun Li.
6. Kanako: I wanted to see her go to Worlds so badly so it's saddening that she won't be going to 4CC either. I do think that she should've beaten Wakaba in the SP, but overall it did not really make a difference in the result. Like Yulia Lipnitskaya, I really hope this will somehow not be the last time we see her this season.
7. Yuka: I enjoyed Yuka at SC, and I enjoyed her even more here! I think the belt in the SP dress is a bit unnecessary, but otherwise it's a beautiful dress. And the FS dress looks fantastic as well. So anyways, I'm still don't know how I feel about her using Madame Butterfly for the SP. She has nearly the exact same music cuts as Mao, and it's not like that's the only song in Madame Butterfly. What happened to her original plan of doing Rachmaninoff No. 3? I was pretty excited for that. As for the scores, I think she should have been scored a bit higher particularly in PCS. And it's too bad that like Kanako, she won't be going to 4CCs or Worlds.

Sometimes, I just wish that somehow the maximum number of spots for Worlds available was not limited to 3. It would've been epic to see Mao, Satoko, Kanako, Yuka, and Rika all go to Worlds. :(