Junhwan Cha sets eyes on Skate America | Golden Skate

Junhwan Cha sets eyes on Skate America

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Asked if he is already looking ahead to the next Olympic Games in Milan in 2026 he said, “Of course, I can already see Milan 2026 in the far distance and would love to be there, but there is still a long way to go and I will take one step at a time!”

What are your thoughts on his programs this season? Where do you think he will rank in the GP series?

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I hope he will get to compete in the GPF, if only to be able to watch his incredible Ina Bauer again and again (it never bores me). This interview in my view also shows him having a very healthy attitude towards the sport and his place in it. good for Junhwan!

Weathergal

Medalist
I hope he will get to compete in the GPF, if only to be able to watch his incredible Ina Bauer again and again (it never bores me). This interview in my view also shows him having a very healthy attitude towards the sport and his place in it. good for Junhwan!
Every time I see him do his Ina Bauer, I think "THIS is what they're supposed to look like!".

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Junhwan is definitely one of my favorite skaters these days. He made a big impression on me at the 2018 Grand Prix Final (to the point where my opinion of him did a complete 180!) and I've enjoyed seeing him to this day. There's no other currently active men's skater with that kind of flowy, graceful style and presence that he has.

He seems to have grown a lot as a skater since the pandemic hit, perhaps due to the struggles he had in finding rinks to train at in Korea during that time. If Junhwan hadn't had boot issues, I definitely think he would have gotten a medal at Worlds this year!

I'm kind of surprised he took a departure from his usual classical music programs, as they suit his style very well, but I'm glad he's trying new things and really enjoying his music. Definitely didn't expect him to be a James Bond fan. 😲

I'm a little sad that I can't see him at Skate America this year, but I'll definitely be cheering him on from home and hoping he does well this season. :cheer:

And last but not least, I still really enjoy that Ina Bauer into a spiral choreo sequence from his "The Fire Within" program. 🥰

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
For me it's the layback spin that I find the most amazing... i also like his +3loop combo, It's good to see a man with skating skills. I don't think I can easily put a ranking on him.. we will have to see.

Warwick360

Medalist
Fingers crossed he finds consistency and finds the lowest number of UR this season, compared to his previous ones where he's had to struggle with it.

Also, I wish he was working on bringing in Quad Flip like he was doing/attempting few seasons ago. I'd like to see him increase his technical arsenal. At least he's going two quads in the short.:clap:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Fingers crossed he finds consistency and finds the lowest number of UR this season, compared to his previous ones where he's had to struggle with it.

Also, I wish he was working on bringing in Quad Flip like he was doing/attempting few seasons ago. I'd like to see him increase his technical arsenal. At least he's going two quads in the short.:clap:
Junhwan doesn't need a quad flip for now.
His jump layout features the 4s and the 4t, repeating the 3lutz and 3a. In both of his challengers he did pop an axel.

If he wants to optimize his score, he needs to
1) secure his second 3a
2) he could potentially ditch a 3lz and repeat+combo either the 4s or the 4t.

Once he has a stable 3 quads and 2 3axels program, if he still feels he needs a 4th quad in his LP (and very few are able to do this... ) then, he can look at acquiring another quad... however, if it means queues and carrots, I am not so sure it's worth it.

Junhwan is a full package kind of skater. He has it all, quads ( some good combos) and skating skills. He has a nice presence as well and a style of his own. I believe his best course of action is to stabilize his current content rather than hope he can built in even more difficulty in his programs.

Consistency is key and could mean much more for him than another quad.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I have been waiting for Cha to medal at worlds for like a quadrennial. So much promise and then disappointment and then glimmers of hope. It helps that there are retirements, injuries and skaters sitting out or unable to compete (War, school and the many contemplating returning possibly in future) right now that increase the chance of a world medal. He does have it all though perhaps not the super number of quads of the Americans or Chen.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
^^ Well.. it's hard to medal at worlds when in that last quad, he only participated at 2 WC... 2020 was canceled. 2022, where he could have perhaps medaled, he WD.

At the Beijing games, he placed ahead of everyone but Chen and the 3 Japanese skaters... ONLY one point behind 4th place (Hanyu).

I don't think he has under-performed at all, especially when his first and only two world championship appearances where in his teenage years. Many male skaters peak in their early to mid-twenties. Considering how he is skating right now as well as his development path, I would believe that this is his time to shine now. However, let's also not forget he won 4CC.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
He is a gorgeous skater!!! For me he can sell any program and make it look good. I've never really appreciated the skaters who people say are the best PCS skaters but I can appreciate it with Junhwan. Everytime I watch his performance I think "Ahhh I get it now. Ok now I see what the PCS fuss is about."

He's the only skater who makes me feel like that though! 🤣

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy almost everyone but when people say "X should have been 15 points higher in PCS than Y" I never really get it. They all seem fine to me. But I feel the magic with Junhwan.

Looooooove his programs this season. I squealed when he did the moonwalk on ice. It was so much fun!!!

yesterday

Record Breaker
^^ Well.. it's hard to medal at worlds when in that last quad, he only participated at 2 WC... 2020 was canceled. 2022, where he could have perhaps medaled, he WD.

At the Beijing games, he placed ahead of everyone but Chen and the 3 Japanese skaters... ONLY one point behind 4th place (Hanyu).

I don't think he has under-performed at all, especially when his first and only two world championship appearances where in his teenage years. Many male skaters peak in their early to mid-twenties. Considering how he is skating right now as well as his development path, I would believe that this is his time to shine now. However, let's also not forget he won 4CC.
Love your commitment, wonderful 4everchan :clap:it's a match :biggrin:
and it's true!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Love your commitment, wonderful 4everchan :clap:it's a match :biggrin:
and it's true!
do you mean i should switch my username to 4evercha ?

I almost went for 4everphan... then 4everchen ....

I first read this from a tiny screen... I see that you had crossed the n now...

You also forgot that in my avatar... there is a very special someone... 4everhan here :)

I am not a cha fan the way i am a chan phan :)

Last edited:

yesterday

Record Breaker
do you mean i should switch my username to 4evercha ?

I almost went for 4everphan... then 4everchen ....

I first read this from a tiny screen... I see that you had crossed the n now...

You also forgot that in my avatar... there is a very special someone... 4everhan here :)

I am not a cha fan the way i am a chan phan :)

No, not suggesting, it's just funny :biggrin:
But if you do, it would be easy

why not go for 4ever[c]ha[n] :party2:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
No, not suggesting, it's just funny :biggrin:
But if you do, it would be easy

why not go for 4ever[c]ha[n] :party2:
and what do i do with the P and the E

4ever{(p)/(c)ha/e(n)}
I think that's a bit much :)

I will stick to my very favourite, greatest skater ever and 4ever : chan :)