Men's Short Program | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Men's Short Program

gold12345

Medalist
I can't believe there was no live feed anywhere on non-US tv. It was so easy to find them last year. :/

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Wow, KVDP.. when was the last time he was 4th in a GP event? (I know the FS is yet to come, but he's in a good position and he struggled the last few seasons).

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Protocals!

Brenzia clean up with lots of +GOE.
Surpsingly, the 4T was only underrotated for Kozuka, thought it would have been downgraded. Second 3T in combo also under rotated. PCS saved him here.
Daisuke M. was solid, that combo was 11.80 points--whee! Otherwise not a ton of +GOE.
KVDP has a solid program just slight -GOE for his combination spin.
Richard got a underotation the 3A --WHAT? Also an edge call on the flip.
Denis got an edge call and an under rotation on the 3Z that he fell on.
Armin got a UR on his Axel, and he lost some levels on his his combo spin.
Florent got an edge call on his flip...
Douglas did OK, but got totally hosed on that 2T ---lots of minus GOE. But actually his levels were decent on his nonjump elements...
Samuel got lots of minus GOE all over the place...

Very strict tech panel it seems (except for Koz's quad?!?!?) lots of URs and edge calls.

jettasian

Match Penalty
Wait! So based on the reports, Brezina's clean, but Kozuka's not right? So can Kozuka beat Brezina in PCS? If it were Chan, many would have a hissy fit about it :rolleye:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Wait! So based on the reports, Brezina's clean, but Kozuka's not right? So can Kozuka beat Brezina in PCS?

He didn't beat him by much. I think if Koz skated clean his PCS would have been through the roof. That program has potential.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Kozuka just demonstrated the risk of doing a quad in the SP. LP is a different story. He needs to at least rotate his 4T though. Brezina has awesome jumps but stamina is often an issue with him. Maybe he's recovered from last season. Kozuka can depend on his PCS no matter what.

Kozuka didn't need that 4T in the SP, but he must be preparing for the battle at the end of the season. Just taking some chances here for practice.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Kozuka just demonstrated the risk of doing a quad in the SP. LP is a different story. He needs to at least rotate his 4T though. Brezina has awesome jumps but stamina is often an issue with him. Maybe he's recovered from last season. Kozuka can depend on his PCS no matter what.

Kozuka didn't need that 4T in the SP, but he must be preparing for the battle at the end of the season. Just taking some chances here for practice.

I agree it's a good strategy. He wants to be World Champion. He's already won GPs (though I'm sure it would have been nice for him to win the GPF...) but yeah his eyes are on Worlds.

And I love the program. Seriously. I think it is really out-of-the box and when he gets it under him WITH THE QUAD it will be hard to beat.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I can't believe there was no live feed anywhere on non-US tv. It was so easy to find them last year. :/

As I mentioned earlier, when NBC gets its rights, everybody else is out of luck. They will geoblock and take down youtube videos too. Just you wait and see.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Really think that Richard Dornbush was slightly underscored here. How was that 3A UR?!

ETA: Although he was less than a point from his personal best at Worlds....so this fares well for him in future competitions.

Last edited:
Dornbush and Brezina were the standouts for me here. Maybe this just reveals my ignorance, but I can't get on the Kozuka bandwagon. To me he skates in miniature. I like my boys to have power and amplitude... or else a sinuous beauty (Weir, Amodio, Mahbanouzadeh).

ivy

On the Ice
My IN feed was choppy so I missed a bunch. Really glad to see Brezina do well. Hope he puts 2 clean programs back to back. Consistency would be such a relief for his fans.

Sad to see Kozuka wobble. My fave, love his skating, but deserved 2nd (or part of the almost tie for 2 - 5th).

Just don't get Amodio. 3rd in PCS? He's charismatic but too much posing and flash and not enough edges.

Always have a soft spot for Kevin VDP, and glad to see him. Wonder how many more seasons we'll have him around

Looking forward to watching again - hopefully without stalls and stutters & onto the LP! Go Kozuka!

gold12345

Medalist
As I mentioned earlier, when NBC gets its rights, everybody else is out of luck. They will geoblock and take down youtube videos too. Just you wait and see.

Oh I've seen them take down videos. But there have always been live foreign feeds available to watch, especially for people in other countries. Hopefully one surfaces.

On another note, the fact that people have to run to the protocols to understand what the heck just happened at a skating event is really troubling. The people in the audience who aren't diehard fans and don't even know what a protocols sheet is must be so confused. They should at least put it up on the scoreboard when a skater underrotates a jump or something so that the audience can follow along better.

Last edited:

herios

Medalist
Oh I've seen them take down videos. But there have always been live foreign feeds available to watch, especially for people in other countries. Hopefully one surfaces.

On another note, the fact that people have to run to the protocols to understand what the heck just happened at a skating event is really troubling. The people in the audience who aren't diehard fans and don't even know what a protocols sheet is must be so confused. They should at least put it up on the scoreboard when a skater underrotates a jump or something so that the audience can follow along better.
It depends on the audience. I stayed below some spectators 2 years ago at 4CC and from the comments I was hearing, of 2 young ladies in their twenties I figured they must have just started watching skating recently, but when the marks were popping up, they were quickly starting to count what kind of deductions the skaters might have gotten and on which elements. They were very aware of how COP works. I was more than impressed, hearing they were fans only for 2-3 years, basically they never saw skating under 6.0!

periperi

On the Ice

I've wanted something like this done in competitions, and I think it would also help if the commentators were to call out jumps that aren't fully rotated. It is done occasionally but the only commentator really that I've heard be consistent with this has been Tara.

As for Takahiko, it certainly doesn't sound like his best performance, but I really liked his rendition of Inner Urge at The Ice so I'm looking forward to seeing it (hopefully I'll be able to.) I really love his skating. I hope he can get it together for the long.

Happy to see Dice make the top 3! I was having a feeling that he would be a threat for a medal.

It'll be quite a fight for bronze, I think.

Last edited:
Hi Spun Sikver. That Michal is my best choice of any field. As you are aware, I care about blade to ice with all the virtues of music. Just not into blade off the ice and barrel jumping air rotations. However, I do think there is a Sport for Air Rotations and Barrel Jumping without music. (Change SP to Sport)

BREZINA, the way to go for Figure Skating.