Mirai Nagasu to try triple Axel @ nationals | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Mirai Nagasu to try triple Axel @ nationals

Krislite

Medalist
The 3Axel in that clip was surprisingly good, but it was only one. How consistent is she at rotating it in practice?

KweenAsada

On the Ice
I think she should GO FOR IT!!!! No matter how beautiful she skates the judges see her as a step below the top ladies. If she lands the 3A, maybe the judges will open their eyes and if she fails..their opinions of her will remain the same. She has improved the last two seasons and it has gotten her nowhere. She may as well shoot for the stars. I'm with her.

R.D.

Record Breaker
If she really wants to do it and it's her choice, then more power to her.

My one concern is that by posting that message, even if she gave him the OK, Coach is putting unnecessary pressure on her to at least attempt one in the practices, if not the competition itself, and I'm not sure that's the wisest strategy from a coaching perspective...

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think she should GO FOR IT!!!! No matter how beautiful she skates the judges see her as a step below the top ladies. If she lands the 3A, maybe the judges will open their eyes and if she fails..their opinions of her will remain the same. She has improved the last two seasons and it has gotten her nowhere. She may as well shoot for the stars. I'm with her.

Mirai improved last season, but this season has been a bit disappointing. After a bronze at Lombardia and a win at the Canadian Challenge, she bombed at SC and was 5th at NHK. She really needs to do well at Nationals to maintain a good competition record leading up to next year's Olympics. Including a 3a in a program that has been getting multiple URs doesn't seem a reasonable way to ensure a good Nationals placement.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Including a 3a in a program that has been getting multiple URs doesn't seem a reasonable way to ensure a good Nationals placement.

It doesn't make sense. Maybe the thought is that including the 3A, a jump in which she cannot hold back at all, will force her to attack the other jumps in the same manner. However, I could see her playing it safe for the rest of her program after landing a 3A too, which would inevitably lead to < calls.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mirai cannot hold back on her 3f+3t, but she's been doing that this season and getting 3f<+3t< because she tenses up when she starts her program. She is apt to tense up before a 3a as well, which is a much bigger deal than a 3/3.

Gullygirl84

On the Ice
Mirai rotated one 3-3 in her long at Lombardia and one 3-3 in her short at the Autumn Classic this season. I agree that I would rather see her focus her energy on that, since she can do it, though maybe if all hell breaks loose and she has a Skate Canada type short at Nationals (and is behind enough that there is little chance of making the World team), maybe she would want to go for broke in long and try to make history. But Mirai and Tom are experienced enough to know the risks, and they will have to live with whatever decision they make.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And why would going for a 3a in the FS "make history"? Even if she landed it, it wouldn't make up for other URs in the program, so it wouldn't help much to make up for the SP deficit. Subtracting out the value of a 2a, it really only adds maybe another 5 points. That's not enough to make up for other failings.

The 3a is not the key to fame and fortune for anyone. It certainly hasn't been for Liza Tuk, who doesn't fluz or lip and isn't prone to multiple URs like Mirai. Even Mao Asada has relied on it much too much and it has failed her again and again, especially once she passed her teen years. And Mirai is no teenager.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
she's worked on those all her life. Do you think she's been sitting?
If she can do a 3A, go for it.

I am not usually an ambivolent waffler on just about anything but this one I am, maybe cause I am a big MN fan for many reasons. If Polina, Gracie and Ashley, et al were skating well, I would say "Go For it" It would be a nice feather for her in her cap/record book if she lands it. And what does she have to loose? But no one is super consistant now and the world team spots could go to anyone. But still, as we have all found out long ago, falling on a hard jump or mucking it up can still produce points. If she thinks it wont effect her mentally if she mucks it up for the rest of the program ,then go for it. Waffle Waffle Waffle. OK, I wanna see her land it! If she comes to the FOFS breakfast, I will ask her what her thoughts were in making whatever decision she makes. You GO girl!

Gullygirl84

On the Ice
Ok, the "making history" thing was probably the wrong phrasing, but it is mine and not Mirai's. I can't get into her head, and neither can anyone else here.

But I seriously doubt Mirai has delusions of "fame and fortune" (nor that Liza thought a 3 axel would bring her that either), my personal perception is that it would be more of a personal goal for Mirai at that point.
Mirai can invoke such strong...opinions from people, would they care so much if this were Courtney Hicks?

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
I have long suspected that Mirai is trying to give me a heart attack...

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Liza probably felt the 3a would bring in the extra points to help her win more competitions, and she was right. That one year, she won everything in sight. But the next year, the 3a didn't work any more and neither did anything else, and that's where things are for her now.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Mirai can invoke such strong...opinions from people, would they care so much if this were Courtney Hicks?

Courtney Hicks has almost no issues with edge calls or under rotations. As chuckm has alluded to, the issue is that she isn't doing her easier jumps well in competition, so if she hopes to make the world team her focus should be maintaining the full BV of the 3 and 7 triples she plans in her programs.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
she's worked on those all her life. Do you think she's been sitting?
If she can do a 3A, go for it.

No, I don´t think she has been sitting...., but that work has not been fully successful so far, and if she has problems in rotating some ordinary triples in competitions, how can anyone expect her to be able to rotate a much more difficult jump, a triple axel?

Last edited:

Gullygirl84

On the Ice
I still maintain that Mirai seems to invoke strong opinions, both good and bad, in the figure skating fandom unlike others that I have seen! hahaha.

It would be great to see Courtney live up to her full TES potential at Nationals. I think she was underscored in 2015 Nationals SP and even had a case for getting 1st in the SP, but she needs to maintain her focus in the long. She didn't do herself favors in the 2015 long or 2016 short and long. I think she realized that her focus should be consistency and that is why you don't see her 3 Axel attempts on video anymore. Mirai and Tom have both spoken publically about how it was a mistake to include a 3 axel attempt in the short at Nebelhorn, so this decision is...interesting.

Last edited:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I still maintain that Mirai seems to invoke strong opinions, both good and bad, in the figure skating fandom unlike others that I have seen! hahaha.

Duhamel/Radford? Medvedeva? Patrick Chan? Paulina Edmonds? Mirai may invoke strong opinions, both good and bad, in the figure skating fandom, but so do lots of other skaters!

There are few skaters who don't have both rabid fans and equally rabid haters, and they're mostly fairly new on the scene, showing promise but not top-tier type success.

Nigel

On the Ice
Actually, you're absolutely right. Ladies are way better than they were in the past. One the reasons Yuna/Mao/Carolina dominated was because there was no one to challenge them. Now lots of ladies have similar content and have pushed the ladies field as a whole forward, rather the just a few top skaters.

I hadn't thought about it that way before, so thanks for this perspective. I think I got so frustrated that skaters like Boyang and Shoma are making history, while we ladies haven't done any new jumps since 2002. However Rika did land an 8 triple program in September...

Going back to the 2010 Olympics, (IIRC, this is the last time I remember seeing the NYTimes summarize the top ladies in this manner)

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/02/23/sports/olympics/0223-downgrade.html

This gives you a feel for the consistency and ability of the skaters to complete fully rotated jumps, UR (which now either have < or <<, which was not the case in 2010 IIRC), use the correct edges, etc.

Anyone want to look at the top 10 ladies right now and pull together a similar summary? ;-)