On Site Reports: GPF 2015 | Page 14 | Golden Skate

On Site Reports: GPF 2015

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Hi everyone. Now it’s time for my small report from GPF. I know I’m late, but late is better than never, right? Also, all I’m going to post is my very own personal opinion, you’re free to disagree with me on ANY points.

The rink is absolutely spectacular, very big and wide, but also have this kinda ‘comfy’ feeling about it. The seats were pretty comfortable, at least better than at other arena’s I’ve been at. Of course after hours and hours of seating on one place my *ahem* lower back was kinda stiff. So I bought flat pillow for something like €13 and took it with me on the second day of competition. The view from my place (13th row on judges side, close to center) was fantastic too. I saw everything, all the steps and turns, little choreo nuances and even faces of the skaters when they skated in front of the stands. But I seated on my seat only on the second day, and during exhibitions. When juniors skated I migrated on the front seats.
The public was awesome too, very supportive of every skater, but especially Havi and Japanese skaters. Sometimes it looked like 50% of the audience had Japan flags, and the competition was in Asia, not in Europe. I’ve seen a lot of Russian fans, Americans, Canadians, Chinese, French, Germans, Italians, Australians (!) and whole lot more people from different countries. Everyone seemed very friendly, talked to each other, laughed and smiled. It felt like a celebration.
The first competition was junior short dance. The thing is, I’m enjoying ice dance way too much more than other figure skating disciplines, and I love Alla Loboda, so for me it was absolute highlight of Juniors event. From both days. I promised myself to forget all about the scores, and just enjoy the art. From six Junior short dances I loved five! The only team I’m cold about is Lauriault/Le Gac, I find them extremely overrated and overscored. But oh well, to each their own I guess. Skoptcova/Aleshin skated very nice, but too juniorish. They looked like two kids next to other teams, but it’s understandable, since they’re youngest couple there.

First memorable performance of GPF for me was Popova/Vlasenko’s dance to ‘Master and Margarita’ soundrack. If I was asked to describe the dance in one word that words would be ‘POWERFUL’. I’m a fan of Betina Popova, but I was not a fan on that dance when they performed it at their individual jGP events, but after watching it live I changed my mind. Their interpritation of the music is maybe over the top, but it’s absolutely brilliant. Absolutely. They don’t have the strongest edges in GPF, the highest speed oe precision in their steps, and I would change some of her arm movements, but for me they won in Interpritation mark. Everything was on point, the wild dark waltz on the ball of witches, warlocks and other mystical creations.
The best pattern showed (once again) Loboda/Drozd. The impressive thing is that they’re the only team from Juniors AND Seniors who hit all the key-points in every competition they skated at this season. Impressive, huh? They haven’t received the GOE bonus they should receive for their pattern, it was airy, very soft and very musical. I would say it was their best pattern of the season. Second part, however, wasn’t so good. Their step sequence was not perfectly executed, and honestly the second music cut doesn’t fit them too much. Especially Alla. It was like Natasha Rostova from ‘War and Peace’ danced on the ball, and then she immediately pulled a sable from under her dress, jumped on the hourse’s back and galloped into the battlefield. But it was very dynamic, and very difficult to skate in such tempo, that’s where the GOE came from. Alla also had birthday at that day

The Parsons skated typical classic waltz from ‘Cinderella’ by Prokofiev. It was the first dance of the season I actually liked at the beginning of the season. Very nice music, strong technical elements, but next to zero interpretation and presentation. The dance looked basic, after Popova/Vlasenko and Loboda/Drozd. Solid, very solid in fact, but not very impressive and interesting. The only mark I would give them higher score for is SS, and probably transitions, in everything else Loboda/Drozd were better. And one more thing, I wasn’t as convinced as other people here that height difference is a problem for them, but after I’ve seen them live I have to agree. The lift looks VERY awkward, when she climbs on him and he tries to keep his balance, she seems too big. But she’s NOT bigger than other girls, it’s just Michael who seems smaller and more compact than other guys. But anyway, solid performance nonetheless.

And finally, the winners of the short dance McNamara/Carpenter. It was the first time I liked this SD, they put their soul in it. Very strong technically and presentation-wise. All music accents were highlighted and emphasized. I don’t have deep connection with them, but deserved first place. They are simply stronger than everyone else. Not sure if they’re ready for Seniors, though. They don’t looke very mature, but still more mature than Parsons.
But juniors free dances were pale in comparison with their short dances. Nothing came close to Yanovskaya/Mozgov’s Argentine tango of last season. I’m glad McNamara/Caprenter done POTO and ‘Carmen’ BEFORE they’re stepped into Seniors, there’s still ‘Romeo and Juliete’ left, though.

I was REALLY impressed by Tsurskaya, she’s like a machine, very strong performance in SP, I’m not a fan of the music, though. Her FP is better for my taste. That 3Lz-3T-2T combo with delayed rotation is to die for! Fedichkina was fan favorite, especially her FP. People cheered for her more than other ladies, at least the people around me. It’s a shame she did not medal.

Don’t have much to say about Pairs SP. Every pair is raw material, they all need to work VERY hard to have any perspectives in Seniors. After last season’s final with Seguin/Bilodeau and Fedorova/Miroshkin, this year’s seems kinda empty. The only pair I want to mention is Atakhanova/Spiridonov, and probably Duskova/Bidar. That’s all. I think both this pairs are more balanced and actually stronger than the winners.

As for junior men, I’d like to mention Daniel Samohin. Chen, Aliev and Yamamoto delivered, but Samohin have something in him (or in his programs) that made me feel his skate. Zhou and Sadovski were visibly weaker than other guys in basic skating. It was obvious in the arena. Anyway, men SP was interesting competition, almost everyone was clean. But FP, the biggest splat fest EVER. And some of the falls looked pretty hard and painful.

Seniors pairs competition was SO good, I don’t remember it being this interesting before. Seguin/Bilodeau is a nice surprise here, I bet in a season or two they’ll try to beat Duhamel/Radford for Canadians #1 pair. They have technical elements and charisma, they need to improve their basic skating and maturity, because there were moments where they looked like Juniors. Charlie seems like a very nice person, I’ve seen him talking with the fans, like, for hour! Their FP is not as good as short, though. And they were kinda reserved in it, probably nervous? Both Chinese pairs with their ultra-C elements looked less interesting for me personally than other pairs, especially Peng/Zhang… their father/daughter Tango looked EXTREMELY awkward. BUT the program itself is very nice.

My heart went to Scimeca/Knierim during their FP, they wanted to skate it clean SO bad, looked very determined, but again, this ultra-c element costed them too much. And usual scary falls from the jumps. This was bad. Duhamel/Radford were solid, and have some little improvements in their artistry/presentation (especially in FP), but their programs are still mostly elements and ‘big tricks’. Big telegraphed elements. But they deserved to be second here, no question about it. Kavaguti/Smirnov have a magnetic theatric FP, which was not clean, but still the effect on the audience is very strong. It was a standing ovation, despite all the falls. And Stolbova/Klimov were just out of this world. I love their FP, I think it’s the best FP of the season, and finally it was executed PERFECTLY. Every single step, every nuance of the choreography, every element, everything came into one place. Their throws are so confident and fast, and Ksenia’s flow is best from all the teams. Very beautiful lines and lifts, very solid 3-3-2 combo, and finally perfect triple Salchow. The audience went crazy. The music is very dark and hypnotic, just the right effect for this contemporary program. Ksenia called the program ‘A Man and a Shadow’, and what a perfect name it is! I’m so happy I’ve seen this performance LIVE. It was absolutely terrific, another standing ovation from the audience.

Ladies event was just as good as pairs. I LOVED Medvedeva’s FP. I’ve seen it at Rostelecom live too, but at GPF she performed it even better. Such freedom and grace in her movements, oh my! Second best free program had Ashley Wagner, I don’t remember her EVER skating this good! I was so impressed by her, you have no idea. She went into her jumps without hesitation, she performed and interpreted the music perfectly, it was a deserved standing ovation. Shame about her SP, she should have been second overall. Satoko also surprised me, yes her jumps are small (it’s just truth, no sense in denying it), but her style of skating is very nice. Besides, she was clean in both programs, which is rare occasion for this GPF. Elena Radionova had difficulties in both her programs, but public still loved her. Her performances on emotional level were weaker than at Rostelecom, unfortunately, I didn’t feel the connection this time around, and I was absolutely sure she’s going to fall from her lutz, but somehow she landed it. Amazing fighting spirit, I hope she will live through her problems, I liked her more when she was more consistent. And Gracie and Mao… well, it was not their best days. A lot of mistakes, but potential is there. I still enjoyed them both, and Mao’s step sequences are just the best on current ladies field.

And finally ice dance. I’m just going to say that I liked every single performance from every single team here. Shame about Zach fall, but I don’t think they would be 5th even without the fall. Bobrova/Soloviev and Hubbel/Donohue’s free dances were different from other teams’ dances, kinda old-fashioned, very soft and smooth. I liked Chock/Bates FD this time around, I think Madison put her soul in it, very emotional. I felt connection with this dance, just as I do with Bobrova/Soloviev’s FD. Igor re-choreografed their Diagonal Step Sequence, and guess what? Waltz/tango hold is visible and clearly recognizable now, I wonder what was he thinking before? Shame about the mistake on twizzles, but other than that it was very good.

Bobrova/Soloviev’s ‘Karenina’ was a fairytale on ice, so emotional. I loved the public, they were so quiet during the dance, especially when the music faded for the combination spin and then translated in piano piece for their Diagonal Step Sequence, it was dead silence. And then when the dance was over everyone started clapping and cheering for them. Very beautiful. They had such genuine smiles on their faces, they’re clearly happy to be back.

As for the judging, in my PERSONAL opinion, this competition was the worst example of reputation judging in the last couple of seasons. Starting order was also the factor. If Bobrova/Soloviev or Hubbel/Donohue skated in second group, they would have received higher GOE and components, same for the Shibs. In my opinion, Cappellini/Lanotte should have been first, not Weaver/Poje. I’ve seen both these teams at Rostelecom cup, and in my opinion Weaver/Poje looked stronger there, while Cappellini/Lanotte skated here better. But oh, well. Anyway, it was very interesting competition, very strong dances, very emotional. I’m so glad I was there.

Also, about synchro skating. I have no idea what it is, the rules, elements, what teams there are etc. But it looks SO COOL! The ‘Carmen’ from ‘Paradise’ was earth-shattering! Spanish public clapped and screamed, so many skaters on ice, and they were skating fast! ‘Rockettes’ also rocked! Very interesting experience for me, and very interesting discipline. Maybe ISU will include it in GP events in the future.

Anyway, too many thoughts in my head now, I’m probably forgot to mention 90% of good stuff. It was a real celebration. I wish everyone would see it live someday. So many emotions left! I will live with them ‘till next year’s GPF. I will definitely look for a way to travel in Marseilles.

And now I have photos with Madison Chock, Even Bates (who’s a very nice guy, by the way), Anna Cappellini, Patrick Chan have autographs from Chan, Gracie Gold, Medvedeva, Cappellini, Fedor Klimov, Evan Bates, Fernandez, Weaver, maybe someone else, I need to check. And I don’t even collect them or anything, I just had a chance, so they signed something for me. So, I guess, I need to start collecting skaters signatures after that..

P.S. Again, sorry for all the mistakes.

Last edited:

Snow63

Record Breaker
Thanks Snow63 for a lovely report:agree: It sounds like you had a fabulous time at Barcelona!

Oh, yes. I'm not even gonna mention the blast I was having with three American friends (Jannette, Derek and Colin) I've met there :laugh2: We owned that night club :dance3: But trust me, you don't want to hear the details :dbana:

Last edited:

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
yeeeeahhh Snooow such a cool report!:bow: haha Im soo jealous!:laugh:

Fedichkina was fan favorite, especially her FP. People cheered for her more than other ladies, at least the people around me. It’s a shame she did not medal.
aw I need to repost in the fanthread!

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Thank you Snow63 esp. for the nice words about Daniel. I agree, he is special. But did you have any impressions of the senior men at all? :)

Alex D

Record Breaker
Hi everyone. Now it’s time for my small report from GPF. I know I’m late, but late is better than never, right? Also, all I’m going to post is my very own personal opinion, you’re free to disagree with me on ANY points.

The rink is absolutely spectacular, very big and wide, but also have this kinda ‘comfy’ feeling about it. The seats were pretty comfortable, at least better than at other arena’s I’ve been at. Of course after hours and hours of seating on one place my *ahem* lower back was kinda stiff. So I bought flat pillow for something like €13 and took it with me on the second day of competition. The view from my place (13th row on judges side, close to center) was fantastic too. I saw everything, all the steps and turns, little choreo nuances and even faces of the skaters when they skated in front of the stands. But I seated on my seat only on the second day, and during exhibitions. When juniors skated I migrated on the front seats.
The public was awesome too, very supportive of every skater, but especially Havi and Japanese skaters. Sometimes it looked like 50% of the audience had Japan flags, and the competition was in Asia, not in Europe. I’ve seen a lot of Russian fans, Americans, Canadians, Chinese, French, Germans, Italians, Australians (!) and whole lot more people from different countries. Everyone seemed very friendly, talked to each other, laughed and smiled. It felt like a celebration.
The first competition was junior short dance. The thing is, I’m enjoying ice dance way too much more than other figure skating disciplines, and I love Alla Loboda, so for me it was absolute highlight of Juniors event. From both days. I promised myself to forget all about the scores, and just enjoy the art. From six Junior short dances I loved five! The only team I’m cold about is Lauriault/Le Gac, I find them extremely overrated and overscored. But oh well, to each their own I guess. Skoptcova/Aleshin skated very nice, but too juniorish. They looked like two kids next to other teams, but it’s understandable, since they’re youngest couple there.

First memorable performance of GPF for me was Popova/Vlasenko’s dance to ‘Master and Margarita’ soundrack. If I was asked to describe the dance in one word that words would be ‘POWERFUL’. I’m a fan of Betina Popova, but I was not a fan on that dance when they performed it at their individual jGP events, but after watching it live I changed my mind. Their interpritation of the music is maybe over the top, but it’s absolutely brilliant. Absolutely. They don’t have the strongest edges in GPF, the highest speed oe precision in their steps, and I would change some of her arm movements, but for me they won in Interpritation mark. Everything was on point, the wild dark waltz on the ball of witches, warlocks and other mystical creations.
The best pattern showed (once again) Loboda/Drozd. The impressive thing is that they’re the only team from Juniors AND Seniors who hit all the key-points in every competition they skated at this season. Impressive, huh? They haven’t received the GOE bonus they should receive for their pattern, it was airy, very soft and very musical. I would say it was their best pattern of the season. Second part, however, wasn’t so good. Their step sequence was not perfectly executed, and honestly the second music cut doesn’t fit them too much. Especially Alla. It was like Natasha Rostova from ‘War and Peace’ danced on the ball, and then she immediately pulled a sable from under her dress, jumped on the hourse’s back and galloped into the battlefield. But it was very dynamic, and very difficult to skate in such tempo, that’s where the GOE came from. Alla also had birthday at that day

The Parsons skated typical classic waltz from ‘Cinderella’ by Prokofiev. It was the first dance of the season I actually liked at the beginning of the season. Very nice music, strong technical elements, but next to zero interpretation and presentation. The dance looked basic, after Popova/Vlasenko and Loboda/Drozd. Solid, very solid in fact, but not very impressive and interesting. The only mark I would give them higher score for is SS, and probably transitions, in everything else Loboda/Drozd were better. And one more thing, I wasn’t as convinced as other people here that height difference is a problem for them, but after I’ve seen them live I have to agree. The lift looks VERY awkward, when she climbs on him and he tries to keep his balance, she seems too big. But she’s NOT bigger than other girls, it’s just Michael who seems smaller and more compact than other guys. But anyway, solid performance nonetheless.

And finally, the winners of the short dance McNamara/Carpenter. It was the first time I liked this SD, they put their soul in it. Very strong technically and presentation-wise. All music accents were highlighted and emphasized. I don’t have deep connection with them, but deserved first place. They are simply stronger than everyone else. Not sure if they’re ready for Seniors, though. They don’t looke very mature, but still more mature than Parsons.
But juniors free dances were pale in comparison with their short dances. Nothing came close to Yanovskaya/Mozgov’s Argentine tango of last season. I’m glad McNamara/Caprenter done POTO and ‘Carmen’ BEFORE they’re stepped into Seniors, there’s still ‘Romeo and Juliete’ left, though.

I was REALLY impressed by Tsurskaya, she’s like a machine, very strong performance in SP, I’m not a fan of the music, though. Her FP is better for my taste. That 3Lz-3T-2T combo with delayed rotation is to die for! Fedichkina was fan favorite, especially her FP. People cheered for her more than other ladies, at least the people around me. It’s a shame she did not medal.

Don’t have much to say about Pairs SP. Every pair is raw material, they all need to work VERY hard to have any perspectives in Seniors. After last season’s final with Seguin/Bilodeau and Fedorova/Miroshkin, this year’s seems kinda empty. The only pair I want to mention is Atakhanova/Spiridonov, and probably Duskova/Bidar. That’s all. I think both this pairs are more balanced and actually stronger than the winners.

As for junior men, I’d like to mention Daniel Samohin. Chen, Aliev and Yamamoto delivered, but Samohin have something in him (or in his programs) that made me feel his skate. Zhou and Sadovski were visibly weaker than other guys in basic skating. It was obvious in the arena. Anyway, men SP was interesting competition, almost everyone was clean. But FP, the biggest splat fest EVER. And some of the falls looked pretty hard and painful.

Seniors pairs competition was SO good, I don’t remember it being this interesting before. Seguin/Bilodeau is a nice surprise here, I bet in a season or two they’ll try to beat Duhamel/Radford for Canadians #1 pair. They have technical elements and charisma, they need to improve their basic skating and maturity, because there were moments where they looked like Juniors. Charlie seems like a very nice person, I’ve seen him talking with the fans, like, for hour! Their FP is not as good as short, though. And they were kinda reserved in it, probably nervous? Both Chinese pairs with their ultra-C elements looked less interesting for me personally than other pairs, especially Peng/Zhang… their father/daughter Tango looked EXTREMELY awkward. BUT the program itself is very nice.

My heart went to Scimeca/Knierim during their FP, they wanted to skate it clean SO bad, looked very determined, but again, this ultra-c element costed them too much. And usual scary falls from the jumps. This was bad. Duhamel/Radford were solid, and have some little improvements in their artistry/presentation (especially in FP), but their programs are still mostly elements and ‘big tricks’. Big telegraphed elements. But they deserved to be second here, no question about it. Kavaguti/Smirnov have a magnetic theatric FP, which was not clean, but still the effect on the audience is very strong. It was a standing ovation, despite all the falls. And Stolbova/Klimov were just out of this world. I love their FP, I think it’s the best FP of the season, and finally it was executed PERFECTLY. Every single step, every nuance of the choreography, every element, everything came into one place. Their throws are so confident and fast, and Ksenia’s flow is best from all the teams. Very beautiful lines and lifts, very solid 3-3-2 combo, and finally perfect triple Salchow. The audience went crazy. The music is very dark and hypnotic, just the right effect for this contemporary program. Ksenia called the program ‘A Man and a Shadow’, and what a perfect name it is! I’m so happy I’ve seen this performance LIVE. It was absolutely terrific, another standing ovation from the audience.

Ladies event was just as good as pairs. I LOVED Medvedeva’s FP. I’ve seen it at Rostelecom live too, but at GPF she performed it even better. Such freedom and grace in her movements, oh my! Second best free program had Ashley Wagner, I don’t remember her EVER skating this good! I was so impressed by her, you have no idea. She went into her jumps without hesitation, she performed and interpreted the music perfectly, it was a deserved standing ovation. Shame about her SP, she should have been second overall. Satoko also surprised me, yes her jumps are small (it’s just truth, no sense in denying it), but her style of skating is very nice. Besides, she was clean in both programs, which is rare occasion for this GPF. Elena Radionova had difficulties in both her programs, but public still loved her. Her performances on emotional level were weaker than at Rostelecom, unfortunately, I didn’t feel the connection this time around, and I was absolutely sure she’s going to fall from her lutz, but somehow she landed it. Amazing fighting spirit, I hope she will live through her problems, I liked her more when she was more consistent. And Gracie and Mao… well, it was not their best days. A lot of mistakes, but potential is there. I still enjoyed them both, and Mao’s step sequences are just the best on current ladies field.

And finally ice dance. I’m just going to say that I liked every single performance from every single team here. Shame about Zach fall, but I don’t think they would be 5th even without the fall. Bobrova/Soloviev and Hubbel/Donohue’s free dances were different from other teams’ dances, kinda old-fashioned, very soft and smooth. I liked Chock/Bates FD this time around, I think Madison put her soul in it, very emotional. I felt connection with this dance, just as I do with Bobrova/Soloviev’s FD. Igor re-choreografed their Diagonal Step Sequence, and guess what? Waltz/tango hold is visible and clearly recognizable now, I wonder what was he thinking before? Shame about the mistake on twizzles, but other than that it was very good.

Bobrova/Soloviev’s ‘Karenina’ was a fairytale on ice, so emotional. I loved the public, they were so quiet during the dance, especially when the music faded for the combination spin and then translated in piano piece for their Diagonal Step Sequence, it was dead silence. And then when the dance was over everyone started clapping and cheering for them. Very beautiful. They had such genuine smiles on their faces, they’re clearly happy to be back.

As for the judging, in my PERSONAL opinion, this competition was the worst example of reputation judging in the last couple of seasons. Starting order was also the factor. If Bobrova/Soloviev or Hubbel/Donohue skated in second group, they would have received higher GOE and components, same for the Shibs. In my opinion, Cappellini/Lanotte should have been first, not Weaver/Poje. I’ve seen both these teams at Rostelecom cup, and in my opinion Weaver/Poje looked stronger there, while Cappellini/Lanotte skated here better. But oh, well. Anyway, it was very interesting competition, very strong dances, very emotional. I’m so glad I was there.

Also, about synchro skating. I have no idea what it is, the rules, elements, what teams there are etc. But it looks SO COOL! The ‘Carmen’ from ‘Paradise’ was earth-shattering! Spanish public clapped and screamed, so many skaters on ice, and they were skating fast! ‘Rockettes’ also rocked! Very interesting experience for me, and very interesting discipline. Maybe ISU will include it in GP events in the future.

Anyway, too many thoughts in my head now, I’m probably forgot to mention 90% of good stuff. It was a real celebration. I wish everyone would see it live someday. So many emotions left! I will live with them ‘till next year’s GPF. I will definitely look for a way to travel in Marseilles.

And now I have photos with Madison Chock, Even Bates (who’s a very nice guy, by the way), Anna Cappellini, Patrick Chan have autographs from Chan, Gracie Gold, Medvedeva, Cappellini, Fedor Klimov, Evan Bates, Fernandez, Weaver, maybe someone else, I need to check. And I don’t even collect them or anything, I just had a chance, so they signed something for me. So, I guess, I need to start collecting skaters signatures after that..

P.S. Again, sorry for all the mistakes.

Wonderful read!

Will post my review tomorrow too, but ya

Also, about synchro skating. I have no idea what it is, the rules, elements, what teams there are etc. But it looks SO COOL!

I so hear ya! :agree:

As for the judging, in my PERSONAL opinion, this competition was the worst example of reputation judging in the last couple of seasons. Starting order was also the factor. If Bobrova/Soloviev or Hubbel/Donohue skated in second group, they would have received higher GOE and components, same for the Shibs.

Yes, yes and so yes!

You really reflect a lot of things that I felt as well, makes me more confident I was not clouded in my judgments and I might get less "hate" for my words tomorrow :dev2:

Thank you very much for your review, now back to work with the IHF.

Snow63

Record Breaker
Thank you Snow63 esp. for the nice words about Daniel. I agree, he is special. But did you have any impressions of the senior men at all? :)

OH MY GOD!!! I KNEW I missed something, but coundn't put a finger on what exactly :laugh2: I'm so stupid :laugh2:
Yes, LOTS of impressions. I think I will post them tomorrow, though. My eyes are so tired, I was at my PC the whole day.

Snow63

Record Breaker
You really reflect a lot of things that I felt as well, makes me more confident I was not clouded in my judgments and I might get less "hate" for my words tomorrow :dev2:

Thank you very much for your review, now back to work with the IHF.

:hap10: Can't wait for your post. :) I didn't know you were there! I hope you were having a great time too.

desertskates

Medalist
Thank you all so much for posting these on site reports! They almost make me feel like I'm right there! Really adds enjoyment to the event :)

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
So, I made it back home from Barcelona, and I have complete after-event-depression! I think we can rewind to last week, no? :biggrin: Anyway, here's the first part of my GPF report, and I'll focus on the men - the discipline I follow most anyway, and the absolute highlight of the GPF!

Overall it was just an amazing field. Every skater had at least one good skate that I enjoyed a lot, and they were all so different. Of course all those following comments are just my opinion, and everybody is free to disagree.

Dice: had a lovely SP, even with that one mistake. He has gorgeous lines, nice carriage and attention to details, he creates beautiful pictures on the ice. Combined with a good connection to his music, it made the more somber parts of his SP magical for me. But on the other side, he needs to get a little more oomph into the more powerful/dramatic parts. He does differ between these moods, but it needs a little more highs & lows for me, that alone would give his performances more of an impact. Right now, he his lovely to watch, but he doesn't have something that makes him stand out in a field like this. His jumps are good, his speed is okay (he's a little slower than the others besides Boyang, but not slow per se), his flow over the ice is good... but there is someone better in all those regards here. I still liked him a lot though, and was happy when he actually seemed in pretty good spirits when he came back to the hotel after the LPs, despite coming in 6th.

Boyang: was also better in the SP (duh). IMO, he is a lot more than his jumps. Right now, he nearly looks like a different skater between programs, but you can always see glimpses of potential in different areas for a moment. Of course there are the well known complains about shallow edges, not enough speed, and so on, but overall I had a really good impression from him. His SS look actually a bit better in practices, and the jumps are not the most elegant but powerful with good height. My favorite part was his EX - I have no idea what that was, but I love it! He can be such a great performer! His main selling point for me is his love for skating, and when that really shines through, he's just fun to watch. In general, he just seemed to be happy to be there at all. I actually thought his PCS were fine, and his LP looked better live to me than on TV. Yes, he was exhausted, but he never forgot to perform for the audience. I'll be looking forward to how he develops in the next years.

Patrick: This is actually the hardest to comment on for me. He was completely different between SP and LP (again - like he's the Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde of the season). That SP overall wasn't good, it were not just the jumps. After the 3T, I was sure he'd just do the 3Lz3T and zayak - not because I knew he didn't know the rules, but because he looked so unfocused. For me, he never got into the program and performance, and looked kind of rushed, as if he was chasing his music. I think some people complained about Javi beating him in PCS, but I thought that was very much deserved. Yes, his SS are still outstanding, and he has many great qualities, but in this SP he didn't manage to make any of them gel together and make them work. It's a shame, because I think this SP has potential, and whatever it is, I think it's mainly in his head. Obviously, he made it work in the LP. Great flow, speed, edges and carriage. I have to admit though, this was a case of the infamous "it didn't move me". He was way more into the music than in the SP, but compared to some of the other skaters, his timing is that one millisecond off, and I don't see anything "spontaneous" in it - it looked more learned than felt, so to speak. The end was better than the beginning though. His jumps are still powerful and have good height/ice coverage, but they look a little wild/uncontrolled in the air compared to 'clean' jumpers like Yuzuru. I don't think it was always like this? I think my problem is that Patrick looked better to me in Paris 2013. I mean obviously he wasn't making a comeback back then, but it's still an impression I can't change. His LP was a great skate from one of the greatest of all time, but it wasn't as much my cup of tea as I hoped it would be.

Shoma: in case my ramblings haven't made that clear enough: Shoma was my REVELATION of the competition, and if it wouldn't be for Yuzu, he'd be my all event highlight. And boy did I not see that coming. I went into this being pretty much neutral on his skating, but after the first 20 seconds of his SP my jaw was on the floor. He might be tiny, but he looks 10 ft tall on that ice. He has really good speed, edges, flow, carriage, and most of all he is so into his music. An amazing performer. He sold every single second and movement to me. I just can't throw around enough praise for him, and the audience ate him up. The best moment was his cantilever - when he went into that sequence, it was as if you could feel the audience slide closer to the edge of their seats, the build-up was great. Everybody knew something amazing was coming - and it sure was amazing. I had the impression people were only waiting for him to finish at this point so they could jump up. That great impression of him is also carrying over in practices - after Yuzu, he was the only guy that really caught my eye (even when I was trying to watch another skater). He had a lot of attack and I hope he can keep that approach instead of worrying too much about expectations and pressure. And I have to admit that his jumps are kind of scary. They are nice regarding height and ice coverage, and he exits them with great speed, but they look so uncontrolled. The landings (especially on the 3A) look more like accidents sometimes, and his free leg is so swingy. But I hope he can improve on it - given how much he improved his jumps in the last seasons, I think he can do it. Welcome to the absolute top senior ranks, you adorable little bambi :luv17:

Javi: A big YES to Javi for keeping it together on his home turf! I thought he looked really nervous before his SP, and it showed in the jumps. It took him a little to get into the performance, but the second half was great IMO. He has improved tons in his basic skating in the last seasons. He's not on Pat/Yuzu level, but he's not that far off. The choreo of his SP is amazing, and I don't think anybody else could have sold that program like he did. His LP is not as special, but it still works for him. How he kept it together during his LP I don't know - but he had good energy, speed, and really worked that crowd. At some point I thought it looked so natural how it happened, it was clear he'd skate clean(ish). Did he get a bit of a home town boost? Yes, I think so. But not as much as some people make it sound. If he continues to skate like a world champ, and dang he did here, I don't expect his PCS to sink again. Better get used to Super Javi, hehe (and that completely smooth *lol* transition was only there to say YAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYY I saw Aerobics class live! He needs to keep that program for forever and ever and ever! I laughed so hard, my belly hurt!).

Yuzu: I'm not 100% sure that really happened yet. I was sure he would skate really well - but clean again?! His SP is just magic beyond words. That 4S is PERFECTION. And so is the 3A. And actually the 4T3T too. The choreo on his spins nearly made me forget that they are mainly technical elements. I'm trying to find words to explain his presence on the ice, how his "nothing" is already pulling you to the edge of your seat. There is this casualty about it, it's natural and confident. No hesitation into any jumps. And they're THE best jumps, because he doesn't just have better height and coverage than the others, he looks so clean in the air. Everything is neat and tidy, and he goes into those jumps as if there was no chance he could miss them.
Maybe the best example for what sets him apart is the "PrimaDonna Axel" - was that broadcasted in any streams? After Javi skated his LP, the crowd went nuts. NUTS. His score was huge, people shouted "Javi! Javi!" and stomped heir feet on the ground. It was close to scary, and I was terrified for Yuzu, who was already on the ice. But then Yuzu went circling around the ice and came back doing a 3A, probably the biggest 3A I ever saw. And he had a stare when he landed, that gave me a shiver. It said "You will shut up, you will watch me now and I will deliver!". And that was the moment I thought "OMG, he'll skate clean again!" (not that that didn't keep me from being nervous and shaky and fearing I might faint :laugh: ). And then he just went out and did it. I don't even want to say too much about that LP, because it was beyond words. The jumps weren't all perfect, but that's just how great he is, still getting quality in there when it's not just a "everything flows today"-day. And compared to 2 years ago, he is so improved. Seeing him in practice, I don't think he's maxed out. I don't even know what his limits are supposed to be. Guess I'm just too excited and emotional and should stop rambling now ^^"
(Oh, but as a last comment: IMO Yuzu's SS are so much improved, he's on Pat's level. Deal with it :p)

And that podium was perfect. The medal ceremony was a big, happy celebration and I felt everyone was ecstatic. Afterwards, I actually felt like "Dang, I need to quit FS, it will never get better than this!". But of course, I could never ;)

Alex D

Record Breaker
Barcelona Column

Table of Contents:

1.0 Introduction

2.0 The story of a world record

3.0 The firebird at Moulin Rouge
  • 3.1 Gracie
  • 3.2 Ashley

4.0 Welcome to the jungle
  • 4.1 Evgenia
  • 4.2 Satoko
  • 4.3 Elena

5.0 Who´s next?
  • 5.1 Witchcraft
  • 5.2 Pairs on a run
  • 5.3 No jumps

6.0 Flaws in a system, the Ice Dance Seniors
  • 6.1 Dima & Katya
  • 6.2 Change when you´re winning
  • 6.3 Thoughts

7.0 The brilliance in Russian pair skating
  • 7.1 Ksenia & Fedor
  • 7.2 General thoughts

8.0 Season highlights
  • 8.1 Alaine Chartrand - Pina
  • 8.2 Rika Hongo - Riverdance
  • 8.3 Kailani Craine - Interview
  • 8.4 Mitchell Islam - Best Quote
  • 8.5 Nebelhorn - Best Event
  • 8.6 Mao & Laurine - Best Axel´s
  • 8.7 Ladies - Best oufits
  • 8.8 Yulia Lipnitskaya - Best Exhibition
  • 8.9 Alexander Majorov - Best guy

9.0 Final Words

1.0 Introduction:

Everything we hoped for and more, came true during the first half of the season. We had the return of former champions with Mao Asada, Patrick Chan, Adelina Sotnikova and of course the double Olympic champions, Maxim Trankov & Tatiana Volosozhar, who decided to become husband and wife, over summer.

At the same time, we had many future champions on the rise, such as Evgenia Medvedeva, two "Cowboys" from Canada and of course Shoma Uno – all in their first season at the seniors and with quite some impact and one of them, even won the gold medal at Barcelona.

While world records were broken by Hanyu, something else stood out – the quality of the programs regarding strong choreographies, creative elements - performed with huge passion, like of Elena Radionova. In my opinion, all these skaters have a chance, a chance to bring back the fame and glamour, the stuff, that we lost over the years, which lead to the lack of popularity and low media coverage, that we currently face.

Figure Skating sure is sport, but if you ask me, it needs the artistry back. Just look back a few years.... How many do really remember the jumps of Katharina Witt or Sarah Hughes when they won their Olympic gold, I for sure do not. But, everyone will remember Carmen or the huge smiles of Sarah and how she laid down the flowers at “Ground Zero” during the Gala. These things need to come back, not the terror but the glamour and the stories, things which we will all remember even if we are old and gray and can no longer identify an outside or count to three.

From my point of view, the skaters understand this very well, as we have much more creativity and story lines on the ice this season than ever before. You do not need to be a medalist to present good stories, just look at Rika Hongo and her Riverdance or Alaine Chartrand with Pina and the Americans Cannuscio & McManus with Beethoven, all four not qualified for the GP Final and yet, everyone knows their programs and most fans love them, I certainly do!

While I am not sure yet how the next years will look like for me and if I will keep writing about the events, I do not see that black as some others always do who constantly complain about skaters, like those who even see a silver medal by Gracie as a loss or who do not want to understand that a skater like Lipnitskaya might also need a break and doesn't want to always smile to them or the flower kids for that matter.
While some people made fun about skaters, like those at Eurosport who created a video of Kaetlyn with just six of her falls or those at T&L who just had to laugh about the unlucky Anna Pogorilaya– Figure Skating is serious business and it is a tough job for everyone on the ice and a lot of things involved, you do not see at home on your TV screens. It isn't just going to the ice rink, skating for five minutes, smiling to the photographers while waving to the fans and then you are done, no there is a lot more involved and I wish that people would learn to respect this more and not write or commentate as rude as they do at times, even if they feel it was justified.

In the end, most people who are less nice, never did competitive sport or even stepped on the ice, so maybe they should just be quiet!

Quiet, we all were when Paris was under attack, I myself had my friend sitting there at the stadium, not knowing about her whereabouts and it is a very bad feeling I tell ya. Because of the terror, the Free Skate of TEB was canceled and big names such as Liza or Max Aaron, lost any chance for the GP final. In the end, however, I still think it was a good and bad decision. Good, as it let those of us, who had their beloved ones at France, take a deep breather, knowing they are safe... on the other hand, we let the terror win, at least for those few days.

The show had to go on, as Ashley Wagner would say and it did and we closed the first half of the season, with the event at Barcelona, an event of which I want to tell you now, just a few things.

2.0 The story of a world record

Just recently, the ISU asked for higher scores, to push the sport, to make it more popular and famous, to give the sport a headline or two. Hundreds, maybe even thousands of headlines, feature a 21 years old from Japan. A skater, who seems to dominate every men's competition these days and looks in much better shape now, than back in Sochi, where he won the gold medal.

Just recently, Hanyu scored 330.43 by offering the crowd, a total of five quadruple jumps, two in the short with Salchow & Toeloop and another three in the long program. While, I am not the big jump fan as many others, you really need to give credit where credit is due, as his programs offer a lot more, than just the jumps. As example, his free skating program, featured elements of the Noh Theater, a show of acting that goes back to the 14th century and is usually performed only by men in Japan, who wear masks, something that, however, changed over the years, as also women are allowed to take part there these days.

In general, Hanyu is not the typical jump hero as others, I like to compare him with Plushenko who also was much more, even if a lot of people didn't want to see his show potential and downgraded him, to just his jumps. No, it does make click if you see these skaters on the ice, they have personality and that is what the sport really needs.

Hanyu himself, felt quite some pressure after NHK, as he said and he must have felt at home for sure, when he went on to the ice at Barcelona, as it was pretty much a skate on home soil, with thousands of Japanese in the crowd. He was looking into an ocean of Japanese flags and he absolutely had to dive after his skates, to not get hit by flowers, teddy bears, posters and pillows which were thrown to him or at him?

Anyways, this young man made history and it seems unlikely that anyone can stop him on his mission to become the first, double Olympic Champion in a seniors men event, since the US American, Richard Button who won in 48 and 52.

3.0 The Firebird at Moulin Rouge

Not yet with a gold medal around their necks, are these two American Ladies and quite often, they are treated with a lot of expectations and if they can not fulfill them, their “fans” write them off, some even with pretty harsh comments. But, as I always say, the darkness can only exist if there is light and both of them, offered exactly this at Barcelona.

3.1 Gracie

While her 5th place, might look bad, after all, we only had six ladies and the FS was a bit on the problematic side, it does not tell the true story, a story, of a young lady in a red dress, who became a firebird while lighting a little fire in everyone´s heart, with her strong desire and will.

Gold's Free Skating program, was choreographed by Lori Nichol and it is in my opinion, one of the best programs Gracie ever had. It is completely different to everything we see this season, or saw by her before. It features a skater, who really slips into the role of said bird and she mimics it´s behavior incredible well, so well, that you could even place her in one of these shows on stage.

The original story of said firebird, is a capture, the plea for life, the release and later the assist. From my point of view, said story was shown on the ice. Gracie, interpreted various parts of the story, proud, threatening and insecure but also happy, when “she” got her freedom back. While the jumps let her down and sure the timings were a bit off compared to Skate America, I still believe in this young lady and I enjoy how she portrays and interprets her programs.

A lot of things that you see in a skaters program are of course also, what you want to see and if you only want to see the negative then no matter how good a skater is, you will never see anything else. Therefore, I wish the haters on YT & co. would actually give this lady a fair chance and not write her off, before she was even on the ice. But ya, as I always say, it sure is easy to sit on your coach with a bag of chips while rambling about a sport you never did and a person, you never met.

3.2 Ashley

I do not think I met her before, at least not recently and yet, I always want her to do good. Yes I know, what you guys will say now, Alex always wants skaters to do good and yes, that's true of course! But, it is also true, that this young lady here, just like Gracie is living in a country that in my opinion, doesn't respect her enough and quite often, writes her off and I bet, after the short, the social media haters were once again very active with their fingers on the keyboards and inside their chicken wing baskets.

Therefore, I am incredible happy, that she could really kick their asses, with a brilliant FS. A FS to Moulin Rouge that opened up with a double Axel, followed by a triple Flip - triple Toe combination and oh boy, was she a class of her own, the absolute best lady on the ice. What a huge performance and superb interpretation skills, at times I thought she was really pulling out a box to fix her make up – so in character she was. Honestly, just look at her afterwards, it meant so much to her and she knew people paid a lot to see her skate and she did not want to disappoint them once more.

Her facial expression and the elements, always aligned to the phrasing of the music, it was a real joy to see, a real woman was on the ice. Figure Skating is not a cheap profession, it takes a lot to be in such a final, but it is also not cheap for the fans, who travel to events from all around the world and if both sides understand this, then we have a start and a connection to each other, that we can build on.

A skater should be proud to have that opportunity, just like fans should be grateful to have the money and time, to visit an event and therefore support them all and cheer them forwards.

I tell you Ashley and Gracie, if your fans at home, do not want you anymore, there will always be a free bed at my home, even if I then have to sleep on the kitchen floor and an ice rink we have in town as well and a zoo too, with cute little monkeys and some snakes – sounds good to ya?

4.0 Welcome to the jungle

Maybe, not so good was the temperature at the venue and if you looked into the faces of skaters, they really had to fight very hard at Barcelona. Not sure if it came across on TV, but the surface of the ice, was pretty soft which required more force by the skaters, to keep up with their choreographies, quite visible with Gracie and Elena, who could not attack their elements as good as necessary towards the end.

As more impressive it was, what Hanyu, Uno and Javi did, but also the Ladies had some really impressive girls on the ice.

4.1 Evgenia

I said it before, you do not know what is more impressive. The fact, she is just 16 years of age, but so musical and mentally strong like a 20 years old, or is it the superb construction of her programs, a short which has all the difficult elements at the end, or the long with that wonderful interpretation by the Russian and that huge step sequence or the part where she goes into the split, during one of her turns. It really is hard, to find an error in her performances, she seems to be incredible strong and determined and guys, she was still a junior last season, isn't this incredible? Just like Yulia a few years ago, she has a strong team that goes for great artistry and a more traditional approach to Figure Skating, while still keeping the sport alive, using additions like the tano, to the already hard elements such as Flip which she combined with a triple Toe or the Axel, that she combined with two double toe´s.

From a choreographers point, both programs are extremely well done, the people in charge there (Alexander Zhulin for the short and Ilia Averbukh & Igor Strelkin for the Free), really know what they are doing, it is a steady flow, with the right skating elements and emotes in combination, making you as a person in the audience fully focus her and you just love every minute of it. Music and acting, is pretty easy if you think about it, but the execution is so hard.
In music, you want to give your audience a constant change, while not throwing them out, after each phrase. If you look at the music arranged of Evgenia´s free, then you see three different types of music used, two from the Wall E OST. The first part – dance for me Wallis, has the change of loud and quiet, to get peoples attention, while she is also acting and then skating backwards, a key element, to make the connection with the crowds, give them an entry point to your programs, it is so important!

From my point of view, a fantastic opening sequence, followed by a more playful second part – the Allegro by René Aubrý where she can go all out with her musical talent while skating the step sequence and then we have the grand final, with the beautiful strings – a more uplifting part on her program and she really seems to float over the ice, perfectly aligned with the music, graceful, with smooth footwork.

For me, it is brilliant and not hard in theory, therefore it makes you wonder, why some skaters still have so many cuts and off key arrangements these days, you just do not do your skater any favors with that. Not everyone can be as talented as Evgenia, but from my point of view, you can win a lot even as a not so talented skater, if you get the right people for your choreographies.

4.2 Satoko

Talking about choreographies, she is a very positive surprise this year, the silver medalist from worlds last season and just like Evgenia, she can really put a show on to the ice. With just 17 years, the Japanese does not feel any fear – she can hold eye to eye contact like no other, so you better never do one of those look me in the eyes contests with her, you can not win there.

As her skating goes, it is very passionate and emotional and she is presenting every element so proud and full of confidence. At every second you can see that she is skating for the audience and while her jumps might not be the highest – she rotates very fast and leaves no doubt about the landings. Her program was choreographed by Lori Nichol and her “a sigh” by Franz Liszt really helps her a lot I think.

She is a quiet skater, not making any noise, so give her a piano and some backup strings and let her float and this Lori understood well if you ask me and yet, she added those little emotes, like the kiss or when she pauses for a moment. Her spins, especially the layback are fantastic, also because of the fact, that she can spin into two directions – no other skater at the top, does this right now and she really stands out from the masses this season.

From my point of view, a well deserved second place and a very talented skater from Japan.

4.3 Elena

Talent she has plenty and she is everyone´s darling who unfortunately, sailed her Titanic into the iceberg again, poor Jack, but hey, dating the best girl on the ship, will have it´s price, you could have gone for Molly too..., right?

In the end, while crashing the ship, she sailed to a bronze medal, with a very gutsy performance and especially for her, the conditions were hard, as she is the tallest of all three girls on the podium and therefore soft ice is not the best to skate on for her. But every cloud has a silver lining and lets face it, figure skating is not a sport for athletes that get bruises like a peach, so she really kept going for it until the end and I so loved her exhibition skate, this was the Elena that I so enjoy.

A very touching performance to imagine, she is just such a darling and she will go her way and we can absolutely expect many more years of high class skating from this young talent and her natural appearance on ice.

5.0 Who´s next?

If we look into the future, then we also have to look at the junior's competition at Barcelona. While I honestly, did not have as much time to follow the juniors this season, as I had last, there were a few skaters that I really enjoyed, like Betina the ice dancer, who is such a classy girl and acting talent, coming 4th with Yuri or of course Alisa Fedichkina, who also came 4th – but oh boy, this girl is so cute and lovely, I love her outfits, she even performed a twizzle and she was definitely the fan favorite and is already walking on Radianova´s path.

5.1 Witchcraft

Following the path of last years' winner Medvedeva is a young talent from Russia, originally born at Omsk and now in the famous figure skating group of Eteri Tutberidze - Polina Tsurskaya. Said skater is very much, on the look for details in her choreographies, like in the short to Albinioni, where she performs accordingly to the sound of the castanets whenever they appear and in general, she was clearly the best girl on the ice and I love her variety!

Each program was different, also in the exhibition, where she all of a sudden, became a witch and afterwards a sexy lady who put a spell on us! I really loved her darker side and would like to see such a dark and spooky program in competition some day, I really think it fits her well, that said, I never found out, what the apple was for! Did she bewitch it or try to breed a frog out of it, hmm a mystery!

Not much of a mystery was her huge talent for the big jumps, as she went for the really tough stuff like the triple Lutz – triple Toe – double Toe and she is skating with huge confidence and you kind of wish Russia would have 10 spots at worlds and Olympics, as they got so many amazing skaters, it is just fantastic and I love the choreographies so much, this is where they have a huge edge over many other nations.

5.2 Pairs on a run

If we look at the pairs, then again, so many Russians – the invasion has started my friends! But, on a more serious note, there actually were only two pairs, not from Russia and one of them, even scored so high, that they came second in the whole competition! Anna & Martin, the Czech who I wrote about already at NRW, I just love this couple and they were so happy, but not less strong – the only pair with a triple throw Lutz, not even the winners of the senior pairs, had that element!

Yes, Ladies and Gentlemen, a Czech pair did the toughest element, not the Russian, not the Americans or Chinese (who did not even have a pair qualified at the Juniors).

Said Junior competition was won by Ekaterina Borisova and Dimitry Sopot, who did really well, I like their outfits, their harmony but my favorite pair was Anastasia Gubanova & Alexei Sintsov with their MJ performance to “heal the world”. They had a lot of Michaels dance moves incorporated in their performance and it was really lovely to look at, a very musical couple with great choreographies and in my opinion the most challenging ones.

As for the winners, Ekaterina and Dimitry convinced with confidence in their elements, I really enjoyed their throws in the free, very far and high the best quality for me this season, if we talk about landing it clean and without any doubts, while she is really in the air and not just hovering over the surface.

It was great to see her smile and happy, both were really pleased with their performances, but they need to work on their side by side jumps.

5.3 No jumps

There are no jumps present at ice dance (thank god) and while I missed the junior men, I saw some really entertaining performances by the dancers. To my surprise, the Americans were really strong here and Lorraine and Quinn convinced with really difficult elements and good transitions. If we look at their FS to Carmen, they actually used four pieces of music by Biszet and most of the transitions were very smooth, similar to Chock – Bates this season. One example is the move from “Changing of the Guard” into “Dance”, I love that, right on beat, greatly interpreted by both skaters or later the move into the second intermezzo – it is really well done, great flow. Another aspect was their twizzle, which not only covered a lot of ice, no it also came out of nowhere, I really enjoyed this as it was not telegraphed, great entry.

Both skaters understand the various phrases of the music well and act accordingly, very talented couple from Maryland.

Their Exhibition dance, was a trip into the past for me, as men of my age will know how it is to have a girlfriend being totally into things like Backstreet Boys or Take That and we as a gentleman of course had to accompany them when they went to the concerts to let them sit on our shoulders, bring them water so they don't faint and watch how they undressed the guys on stage with their eyes. Ya, it was a time to remember for sure and she was exactly such a teenager, only having eyes, for her idol in said program.

Great variety, also if you consider their Peer Gynt performance and I am always a fan of bringing something new to the table.

6.0 Flaws in a system, the Ice Dance Seniors

Before we start, I want to make clear, that this is more an issue of the score and not so much the placements. As for the scores, I would love to have more variety, I would love to see skaters judged based on what they actually did and not so much on when they skated. Again, dance couples who were put into the first group, faced a massive disadvantage again – we saw the typical going higher in scores after each couple and I wish this would finally change.

6.1 Dima & Katya

These two lovely dancers, most likely suffered most from this lack of variety in the scoring system. Ekaterina and Dimitri showed once again, what it means to skate in character, to interpret every phrase of music, accordingly and perfectly aligned and still, they lost a lot compared to the couples in the final group.

I do not even demand, that they get higher scores, as a lot is of course also a subjective judgment, but if we look at what the ISU wants (timings, unity, a concept and story, relationship between both skaters...) then are you really telling me, that this was not as present with the Russians as with those later?

Cmon, I just don't see it!

They were these two people, they had a strong relationship and difficult story elements to portrait and they nailed everything, you could see how they felt, by a look into their eyes and all of this was supported by very hard elements, such as the first lift in the Ina Bauer position and did you see how Katya softly touched Dima´s face during the circular step sequence, most pairs only skate these steps, but the Russians also interpret them and stay in character and add choreographic elements there, while always making it look effortless, like the entries and exits to their elements.

Why is this not rewarded properly? I just wish it would finally be shown at the CH and INT or TR score, but it seems like skating early as they did – is not very rewarding these days.

Together with LaNotte & Cappelini who came second in the Free, the highest posted TES and yet – they lost in PC´s – while not performing worse in my opinion, I so wish that we could find a way to make this sport more fair, as right now, it just doesn't seem to work properly and you must be one of the last three on ice, to have a chance on a medal.

6.2 Change when you're winning

The Canadians, but also Madison & Evan, doctored around quite a lot at their programs this season, with Chock Bates, completely reworking their SD, making it to my absolute favorite “short” performance this season, I just love their Ballroom dance, so strong and effortless in the transitions, always going with the music, a unity and so nicely balanced pair – in my opinion, the best “dancers” on ice this season and Madison recovered amazingly well in the free, when the Twizzle was out of balance. In the end, the second place – and while a battle was lost, the "war" is not yet.

Said "war", Kaitlyn and Andrew won, with their second consecutive gold medal and just like the Americans, they changed a few things this season like in the Free with the first lift, where she is on his back now and later rolls over. I still would love to know why they changed it, maybe I can ask them someday – I am very curious about that decision!

Anyways, in general, I am a very big fan of how they skate to music and their FS to “On the Nature of Daylight” & “Run” is high class, it progresses all the time, with a more uplifting second part, a part in which the change of hold with his hand on the back, is a real eye candy.

I am not sure if this can be seen by everyone, but wow – this is so strong in my opinion and afterwards they go completely smooth into the diagonal step sequence – it is world class ice dancing if you ask me, it has so many difficult entries and transitions, very well done and it looks so effortless and easy to do, big performance by the Canadians and compared to a few months ago, they really worked hard on a program, that needed some time to grow for me, but now I love it!

6.3 Thoughts

For me, ice dancing is really progressing into a direction which I love and don't worry, I will not give you pages to read now where I talk about why and what I see and how important it is ... I did this so often this season and I might bore some of you with it already. That said, I really think that based on the programs, we have an incredible amount of stories on the ice these days. Many couples go for minor details, that can make the difference between an awesome skate and a brilliant performance and I love to watch programs all over again and again, to find these little details.

If you have anything to do with music or dance, you will love what they do and I really mean all of them. There is so much passion in ice dance these days and nowadays, not just by the top five in the world, no you really see it by so many couples, that it warms my heart and at times I just watch these programs while I sit in the train with a huge smile and everyone around me, must be thinking I am nuts, but maybe I am indeed, nuts!

Big thanks to everyone who is creating these beautiful programs, the sport is progressing and this also in artistry, it´s not only about the technical elements, no you also do a lot in the ballet room in front of the mirrors and it really shows, just great stuff!

7.0 The brilliance in Russian pair skating

Pairs skating is great stuff as well and it can be found everywhere in the world, even though that discipline usually has the fewest sign ups of all. It is as Maxim Trankov said, understandable, as it is not only hard to find a partner, either one who has the guts to throw you or one who has the guts and trusts in you, to throw them and by all these quads around, it can be a bit “freighting” for young skaters, to actually try out pairs skating.

Still, we do have a few brave pairs and I already mentioned a few of the future heroes above and while we had many amazing skates again, I want to focus on the winners, Ksenia and Fedor.

7.1 Ksenia & Fedor

What they create on the ice these days, is just from the perspective of art, a perfect example, that quads might be fun and good for the sport, but it can not win you a medal alone. There is a reason, why people always stand up when these two Russians skate, they connect to the audience, with dark programs, but also with a lot of sex appeal like in the short. You see Nina Mozer everywhere, it is her baby and for me, she has an incredibly lucky hand for teaming up skaters, even though these two were brought together by Ludmila Velikova in 2009. That said, Mozers pairs, usually have a very strong balance and both partners, are equally present on the ice and you really have to give Fedor a big applause there, Ksenia is a tough girl, with a very strong feminine side and he is still present and together they create a strong unity – just fantastic.

A lot about this pair, can be found in the details, like the Deathspiral – where she has an incredibly amazing position, I don't think that any other pair, can reach that quality in details, this season. Look at what she does with her arms, especially in the short – she is actually acting during the DS, talk about effortless skating and strong interpretation, also at the Free.

In general, I am a big fan of their FS music by Danny Elfman (Man and Shadow) – it works brilliantly for them and you just can't take your eyes from them for a single second as you would miss out on something. Their skating skills are unreached by the other couples, huge ice coverage and variation in their skating directions – very strong entries into their elements like the last lift and effortless speed – they look so cool on ice, it just makes click for me, every time I see them.

If they can be consistent, then I see them on the podium at worlds.

7.2 General Thoughts

A podium at worlds, is still possible for Meagan and Eric, who showed their quad Sal again in competition and their program has a lot that I like. They really relate so well to each other and I love the music by Adele and I still think that Eric has improved a lot over the years regarding artistry and after landing the quad, they smoothless transitioned into the next part of their program, like it was nothing!

In general, they have a great unity and strong expression and good synchronicity in their turns and movements. Especially the exit from the Lasso lift into the choreographic sequence, that looked ace.

Another couple from NA, but this time Canada is making me very happy these days. Charlie and Julianne do amazingly well in their first senior season. She is such a bubbly young lady and he is incredible charming, they have so much talent – their short is right on the money for me and the Free just needs more consistency I think.

Alexa & Chris, oh boy – she reacts like no other to scores and they really are, a fantastic union on the ice and she is such a beautiful lady and he looks so handsome, I always want them to do good, fantastic couple and they have so much power on the ice and their music to “Elizabeth the golden age”, supports their passion and power so lovely, it was so sad to see them struggle and I was just glad nobody got hurt there, as nobody wants to have a leg in plaster at the wedding ceremony, right?

They will come back, Alexa is such a tough cookie and she will react to scores soon again and everyone will love it!

Same sadly has to be said about Yuko & Sasha and oh boy, he really helped her through this, poor girl and Alex was such a gentleman as always and they recovered so well after the not so pleasant start, securing a medal.

8.0 Season highlights

As I said before, I am very pleased with the current season and how strong the artistry is right now at Figure Skating. It is what we need to get back, make people remember your stories, your expression, make them connect to your skates and I think that a lot of skaters do understand this very well this season.

So who were my favorites and why?

8.1 Alaine Chartrand - Pina

With or without the Axel, this girl is so on fire, her Pina is my absolute favorite short this season, it is sexy and naughty – I love it! I so hope for this girl at the Canadian Nationals, she has got it in her, it only needs to be let out.

8.2 Rika Hongo - Riverdance

Her Free Skate is a beast, what a joy to see her Riverdance, so much fire, the choreography by Kenji Miyamoto is incredibly well done, he understands the essence of the Irish Dance beautifully, all elements perfectly timed on beat, while Rika is able to interpret it with huge expression – I am a huge fan of this girl!

8.3 Kailani Craine – Interview

She was my absolute favorite interview partner, I love her accent and how naughty and full of passion her answers were. She won juniors and seniors at nationals, a huge talent that really skates for the heart!

8.4 Mitchell Islam - Best Quote

During Nebelhorn, I asked the Ice dance ladies “Madison, Anastasia and Alexandra” about their partners and how important it is for them, to have a charming guy on their side. Mitchell, jumped in and said “none of them knows, how that´s like”. Everyone was on the floor laughing and it is one of these moments, that you just won't forget. Skaters can be quite a joker at times and it is impressive, as they got so much pressure and so few time for themselves.

8.5 Nebelhorn - Best Event

I love going to Nebelhorn every year, you can sit right at the ice rink, I love that! Besides that, you can just hang around with skaters, you can do interviews, no annoying security – it´s just a hell of fun over there and I always get my press ID.

That said, I was very pleased with the GP series this year and the NRW Trophy as well.

8.6 Mao & Laurine - Best Axel´s

Mao is doing her triple Axel, with such confidence, that it seems like everyone could do it and I am very pleased to see her back on the ice. I love how sexy her SP is! Truth about the Axel, however, is – that many ladies try it, but struggle, as it is causing them some huge problems this season. Courtney is working on one, Alaine tried a few, Mirai prepares one and Liza landed one again at her victory at Warsaw last week, a competition however, where the girls once again showed their sympathy for each other, by falling and falling to not make the lady who skated before, feel alone.

Anyways, as mentioned – Mao has a great triple Axel and then, there is Laurine with just a double – but a huge one! How she goes into the Axel, skating backwards, making a turn and instantly vaulting up, landing it and then going into a ballet hop in her short, is brilliant and it shows, that you can make a lot with a very good double Axel, it does not necessarily need to be a triple, at least from my point of view.

8.7 Ladies - Best outfits

I make it myself easy this time, by just saying that the ladies have the best outfits and you all rock them! But seriously, they can dress up like for the red carpet as Kalina Lewicka and Gracie Gold do or like some vampire like Sofia Samodurova, a beautiful ballerina like Anna Duskova, a witch like Polina or a ballroom dancer like Madison who has the best hair in the business, Elena Radianova with her elegant dresses, Yulia with the sexiness, .... the list just goes on and they always look fantastic.

8.8 Yulia Lipnitskaya - Best Exhibition

Her “dance for you”, is something I can not really get out of my head. She did it so lovely, wow! What an emotional piece of art, she did lay her soul on the ice with this one, just magnificent!

8.9 Alexander Majorov - Best guy

Alex, does face a very hard time right now and he is a wonderful person. His latest blog entry made everyone once again realize, that it is not about the money, medals, how many houses and cars you have or how many girls you date a night, no! What matters is your family, your friends and to be with those who you love and I believe that I speak for everyone here, when I say that we all wish you and your dad, that he can recover from this and that you will still have many more years together!

9.0 Final words

That´s it, just like Michael once said, that´s it – at least for this season and from me with my columns. It was a real joy to travel to the events, especially in Germany where I get a lot of support from the OC´s and it was great meeting all the skaters and to see that Figure Skating is evolving so nicely these days. While, I was unable to put as much time into this column here I still hope it was entertaining and that you found something to smile about.

While I do not know yet, how the next year will look like, I am incredible grateful for the huge support and open community that figure skating has. I was allowed to dive into this beautiful sport and it is just fun to watch skaters practice and perform, as you always notice something new in their programs.

Thanks everyone, and good luck for the second half of the season and maybe, we will run across each other again! Sorry, for any spelling mistakes with your names and that I could not write as much this time, Merry Xmas and thanks for reading!

Last edited:

FS_rrb

On the Ice
So, I made it back home from Barcelona, and I have complete after-event-depression! I think we can rewind to last week, no? :biggrin: Anyway, here's the first part of my GPF report, and I'll focus on the men - the discipline I follow most anyway, and the absolute highlight of the GPF!

I understand you soooo well!!! And I didn't even have to make it back home since I live here but...boy, I feel incomplete now without the GPF LOL. It's been so amazing it's sad it's over. And I agree with you on everything, especially on what you said about Shoma. He's sooo great!!! Did you see him live last year in the JGPF? He was brilliant too!

BTW, I started a report in another thread. Now I regret not having written it here since it's easier to comment and share the experience with others. It looks like it will take some time because I started writing too much about each event, but now I want to finish it. It's a way to feel a little less depressed :hap85:

Pamigena

Record Breaker
I don't really know where to put this. This seems as good a place as any :) if I'm wrong about that, feel free to move my post.

Since I got my hands on a program book after all :yes2: I made a couple of scans.

JavierYuzuruShomaBoyangPatrickDaisuke

Do not trust any of the information in this book, though :laugh: we've spotted a couple of mistakes (pretty sure Javi and Yuzu don't have the same FS music and also that they don't share the same birthday)

Interview with Brian Orser:
[1][2][3][4][5]

Cover of the timetable booklet

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
^ Shoma is also older than any of them according to that book... he really doesn't look his age! ;)

Since it's too late for me and my head to work properly, I'll save the 'important' stuff for tomorrow and just continue with the fun side stories that happened more or less off ice.

Apparently, Nathan Chen is a bit of a Shoma Uno fan. A friend of mine was sitting in the Boca right next to the skaters seats, and during the men's LP she was less than 2 meters away from Nathan. So she understood some of what he said. Before Shoma started, Nathan turned to the other guys and said "If Shoma lands 2 quads and 2 3As, he can beat Patrick!". And after Shoma finished he jumped up and yelled "SHOMA, I LOVE YOU!!" :laugh: Sota went nuts too (probably to nobodys surprise).

Meanwhile, Shoma just looks constantly embarrassed by attention. After the practice on Saturday he was an extra clever young man and didn't leave through the regular exit, but the elevator closer to the street, thus avoiding the waiting masses. But we were close to the street and saw him, and a friend of mine called him. He looked a little surprised, and didn't seem to be sure if he should wave or hide his face - so he ended up kinda doing both. It was extra cute, because he was running, or more hopping to hurry! We were also at the hotel after the competition was over (talking to some people who stayed there) and when Shoma came people started clapping (I'd say he got the biggest response out of everyone I saw?), and he just ducked like he always does and looked completely surprised. He should really know better by now, hihi.

Also, yes he got a bigger response than Yuzu. Why? Because Yuzu went so fast through to the elevator, I didn't even see him, and so did many others I guess. It was crazy! He even took a cap(!) to get from the CCIB to the hotel, and it was just a black mass hurrying through the room. Ninja skillz.

Javi on the other hand was really brave. After saturday practice, he left through the main exit all on his own. Guess what happened? Ladies latching on to him, calling his name. And he was like "oh oh, what do I do? Keep going, stop?". He ended up stopping for a bit and looked just bewildered. You could see he wanted to give people autographs and stuff, but it would have taken foreveeeeer. But his expression was so cute!

Talking about cute, I already bragged about having a pic with drunken Mama (=Brian), but apparently he even photobombed a selfie attempt by a girl in the hotel lobby, mimicking her pose. Oh Brian! <3

And the "Biggest Rockstar" Award goes to... Ekaterina Bobrova! (Who is also simply stunning, wow!) She was in the lobby signing autographs and a lady went over with the official booklet... confusing her with Ashely. But Ekaterina gave her the smily version of :roll5:, said "Oh no no!" and laughed it off. And she signed her own pic afterwards. +3 GOE for being awesome!

One of my favorite moments in practice was also during the last Men's practice... Yuzu was doing his run through, and then came to the ChSq.... and left out the Ina Bauer. People stayed silent. But you could practically feel the disappointment everywhere! :laugh:

And I guess the best for last, a story 2 friends told me.... (at least for those who know a certain interview from this summer). It was during practices on thursday, and they were coming out from the restrooms. Suddenly, a small man with a huuuuuge bag on his back passed them, rushing through to the toilet... a japanese lady behind him, shouting something. He turned around, continued running sideways, folded his hands as an apology gesture and went "Sumimasen! Sumimasen!". Want to guess who that was? It took them a while to realize... it was Nobunari Oda! they laughed so much, in memory of that interview he did with Yuzu and Shoma, when he just suddenly jumped up and had to go to the toilet. Since then, when one of us needed to go to the restrooms, we called it a "Nobu break" :biggrin:

Edit: Of course I forgot something! During the gala, when "Don't stop me now" was playing, Yuzu was constantly dancing like crazy, imitating Tatsuki Machidas EX program to that music. And once his and Shomas eyes met, and he started imitating the moment Tatsuki thrust his hips, singing along and pointing his finger at Shoma! And Shoma was just like *tries not to see that, tries not to exist*. It was pretty hilarious! #perpetuallyvictimizedbyHanyu

Last edited:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
I understand you soooo well!!! And I didn't even have to make it back home since I live here but...boy, I feel incomplete now without the GPF LOL. It's been so amazing it's sad it's over. And I agree with you on everything, especially on what you said about Shoma. He's sooo great!!! Did you see him live last year in the JGPF? He was brilliant too!

BTW, I started a report in another thread. Now I regret not having written it here since it's easier to comment and share the experience with others. It looks like it will take some time because I started writing too much about each event, but now I want to finish it. It's a way to feel a little less depressed :hap85:

No, I couldn't go to the GPF last year, so it was my first time seeing Shoma. I can only imagine how amazing he must have been last year too! :love:

If I was living in Barcelona, I'd probably still run over to the CCIB, hammer at that door and be like "let me in, let me! Somebody has to be there!" :laugh:

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
Apparently, Nathan Chen is a bit of a Shoma Uno fan. A friend of mine was sitting in the Boca right next to the skaters seats, and during the men's LP she was less than 2 meters away from Nathan. So she understood some of what he said. Before Shoma started, Nathan turned to the other guys and said "If Shoma lands 2 quads and 2 3As, he can beat Patrick!". And after Shoma finished he jumped up and yelled "SHOMA, I LOVE YOU!!" :laugh: Sota went nuts too (probably to nobodys surprise).

My body is ready for Shoma+Nathan as #nextFSpowercouple after Yuzuvier

Seruleane

Final Flight
LOL, love the stories of embarrassed Shoma trying to avoid attention and crowds. Poor Shoma! He better get used to it soon :laugh: