Parts of warhorses that should be used more | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Parts of warhorses that should be used more

mrrice

Record Breaker
It's not a Warhorse program but, I'd love to see Joshua Farris skate to "Fanfare For The Common Man" It's powerful and strong without being too "dramatic." In fact, it might actually be better for Max or Keegan Messing. It's a great piece of music for someone, maybe Plusy.

ribbit

On the Ice
It's not a warhouse but I'd like more skaters to use Mozart and Bach:)

I'd love to see someone use the overture to Mozart's Marriage of Figaro for an LP--not an excerpt as one cut among several, as has been done before, but the whole thing. It's exactly the right length, has changes of mood and "breathing space", but is unified and builds to a terrific crescendo. It would take a skater or pair with great stamina, but it could make a really triumphant program. And it would be really interesting, if a bit more cerebral, to see someone use several Bach variations (three of the Goldbergs, perhaps?) for a program whose choreography would also involve variations on a theme--something along the lines of the old original set pattern dance, where the skaters had to skate exactly the same steps three times, but allowing for substantial variation to match the variations in the music.

samm22

On the Ice
The piece from the Nutcracker that Sasha Cohen used ("Pas de deux") is some of my all time favorite SP music. The spiral sequence toward the end worked spectacularly with the music.

I don't know if the piece was ever used by anyone else.

This is a piece of the nutcracker that is slated to most often...it is some of the best music in the ballet, but I would prefer skaters to skate to snow for example, (or even Arabian like the Chinese pair team this season). I like the grand pas, the pas, flowers, and sugar plum are used way too often in my opinion.

samm22

On the Ice
From Swan Lake, I wish more skaters used both Odette's variation music and this pas de deux from the second act. More programs I've seen have used music from the third act, and the main melody of the ballet (if we could call it this way), maybe because the melodies are full of contrast and fire, and work well as competitive programs. I also don't remember programs with the music of the pas de trois and the pas de quatre.

I agree, and probably would add the mazurka and Spanish dance as well

Edit: and just to friendly point something out...Scheherazade Is a ballet, not an opera...sorry, that was bothering me...

Last edited:

actualrealliveanna

On the Ice
From Phantom of the Opera - I'd love to see more people use All I Ask Of You! Such a beautiful piece of music. And I'd also like to see more of the 2013 Romeo and Juliet OST. Such beautiful music and H/B's FD to it ended up being one of my favorites last season!

Layback11

Record Breaker
From Phantom of the Opera - I'd love to see more people use All I Ask Of You! Such a beautiful piece of music. And I'd also like to see more of the 2013 Romeo and Juliet OST. Such beautiful music and H/B's FD to it ended up being one of my favorites last season!

Yes to both! :cheer2:

veneresplende

Rinkside
There's other parts of Turandot that are interesting besides Nessun Dorma, and for Madame Butterfly why not the love duet instead of Un bel dì?

Manon is a definitely something that should be used more, has anyone used it at all? There's the music from the Puccini opera, the Massenet opera, and the Massenet selections used in the Macmillan ballet, all quite stunning in my opinion.

Last edited:

ribbit

On the Ice
Hardly a warhorse, but, veneresplende, your username makes me think that Verdi's Otello (especially the love duet) should definitely be used for a program!

veneresplende

Rinkside
Hardly a warhorse, but, veneresplende, your username makes me think that Verdi's Otello (especially the love duet) should definitely be used for a program!

Big Verdi fan here, haha.

I would hate to see that music cut badly though, the love duet is one of my all time favorites!

Layback11

Record Breaker
All I Ask of You is one of the most beautiful songs from Phantom and for a pairs or dance team I think it would work perfectly. Did Caitlin Yankowskas and Hamish Gaman use it for their SP? And 2013 R&J is everything!

IT IS :love:

Who would you want to see skate to AIAOY?

actualrealliveanna

On the Ice
IT IS :love:

Who would you want to see skate to AIAOY?
I'd love to see Meryl and Charlie skate to it. They're just so wonderful and I feel like they could really portray the emotion and just :love:. Out of the current crop of teams competing, probably Hawayek/Baker. Funny, considering they also skated to R&J.

What about you??

Layback11

Record Breaker
I'd love to see Meryl and Charlie skate to it. They're just so wonderful and I feel like they could really portray the emotion and just . Out of the current crop of teams competing, probably Hawayek/Baker. Funny, considering they also skated to R&J.

What about you??

:jaw: THAT'S WHAT I WAS GOING TO SAY!!!!! :eek:

Wow, it's like we read each other's minds...I was going to post that before, but I didn't want to bias your response, and funnily enough, it was the same! What an odd coincidence! :laugh: Especially because I just had a dream where they were doing an interview where Kaitlin said she was in love with him, but he didn't reciprocate, and vice versa (I think he has a girlfriend). :laugh2: Although, I suppose the very warhorsey "On My Own" would fit that dream better. :laugh:

actualrealliveanna

On the Ice
:jaw: THAT'S WHAT I WAS GOING TO SAY!!!!! :eek:

Wow, it's like we read each other's minds...I was going to post that before, but I didn't want to bias your response, and funnily enough, it was the same! What an odd coincidence! :laugh: Especially because I just had a dream where they were doing an interview where Kaitlin said she was in love with him, but he didn't reciprocate, and vice versa (I think he has a girlfriend). :laugh2: Although, I suppose the very warhorsey "On My Own" would fit that dream better. :laugh:

Seriously? Well, great minds think alike! How funny about your dream. I had two dreams about WeaPo's FD - Titanic and the Wicked OST.

I'd love to see a dance team use On My Own. I can't think of any that have, just ladies and pairs (also unsure about the men). It's my favorite piece from Les Mis!

Layback11

Record Breaker
Seriously? Well, great minds think alike! How funny about your dream. I had two dreams about WeaPo's FD - Titanic and the Wicked OST.

I'd love to see a dance team use On My Own. I can't think of any that have, just ladies and pairs (also unsure about the men). It's my favorite piece from Les Mis!

Really? Well, you should post it in the skater dreams thread in Le Cafe!

Cannuscio/Lorello used On My Own in a Les Mis medley for their 2011-12 FD:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b0gbcsYLT_o