Pick the music for your favorites | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Pick the music for your favorites

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Karen Chen "Life of Pi", very surprised nobody has picked this OST yet to skate to. Think Karen can get inspired from the visual imagery and paint a fantasy world with deeper reading of the complex and unusual material. Something fantastical, but with a dark undertone some how (not unlike Requiem of a dream).

So Youn / Zi Jun "A thousand years" Christina Perri. These two are my fav lyrical skaters for the moment and I want them to try something more modern. The fact they are constantly overlooked by the judges and undermarked in PCS made me love them even more. They are also evidence of why PCS are not marked correctly in various categories. They are the right age, particular Zijun to try delve outside the classics box Lori seems determined to pigeonhole her. So Youn would be a natural extension from her Romeo and Juliet program. I'd love even if they skate something respectively in Mando pop, and k pop (edit in a way more orchestrals than words like how Dornbush has done for Cold play Viva La Vida), there are many great ballads/ost to choose from.

Liza, something non Eastern European or Latin. Try a classic modern European film OST, something like Zbigniew Preisner's sound track for Kieslowski's trois color series. She is sophisticated enough able to deliver... probably the only one from Russia... and frankly she can really can do with a bit of a stretch artistically. May be one for short (White), one/two for long (Blue or/and Red). These are also the color of the Russian flag. Nice package. Russian french :)

Julia "Mulan"... i am really intrigued on her first instinct and what happens if she really follow through. I'd love to see if she can some how manifest her gut reaction with greater improvement than last try. I honestly think it a good concept that is suited to her skating and personality but perhaps choreography need improved than last time? Maybe thinking of different music edit? Less Disney, but more into the essence of the character and her journey.

Gracie - She need to skate to Eric Serra's "Nikita" OST at some point of her career (Or something like it) preferably choreographed by Shae Lynn. It is seductive, sensuous, moody, edgy, empowering, bluesey, push her to display killer instinct on ice literally. She need to broaden her image as she gotten older and be seen a bit different from the typical princesses to the judges and separate herself from the young Russians like Ashley have done. If Parisianne Walkaway can do wonders for Hanyu, I don't see why she can't do well with this image/ost. It may also add an extra bit of sophistication to her presentation since she doesn't need to fake smile all the time... I am also thinking of dark make up, heavy eye liner!! (Yuna in Danse Macabre mode.)

Ashley - "Sunset Boulevard" (1950s one Gloria Swanson one / optional Loyd Webber west end show one), playing up to the fact she is the ageing skater of the sport. Totally satire her public image. Live up to the most absurdly glamorous old Hollywood delusion of grandeur. It will add hilarious irony to her performance, heightened reality, making fun of herself while ham up to the old Hollywood glamorous starrr image, ie/ 300% Diva Wagner than the real wagner. "I am BEEG, it iz the rink that got small!!!" (Think of the sponsor opportunities. She might as well bank as much as possible before the big R)

Last edited:

salchowx4

On the Ice
I'd like to see a lot more art music from the 20th and 21st centuries. Skating needs more Stravinsky, Adams, Ligeti, Glass, Jolivet, etc.

I'd also like to see more originality in music selection in general. It's gotten so bad that I'd take most recent pop crap over hearing that Phantom trash one more time.

And better music cuts. Always better music cuts.

As for specific choices, I'll have give it a bit of thought.

Last edited:

rollerblade

Record Breaker
I wonder these Phantom, Carmen, Schindler, Les Mis, Princess, Warriors... and other dead-obvious character music choices are selected, to be "interpretation-friendly". I honestly don't know how judges score interpretation... and don't know why Mao's IN marks for 2014 Chopin aren't higher. (one judge gave her 8.25 IN for her SP at worlds last year... wut!)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'd like to see a lot more art music from the 20th and 21st centuries. Skating needs more Stravinsky, Adams, Ligeti, Glass, Jolivet, etc.

I'd also like to see more originality in music selection in general. It's gotten so bad that I'd take most recent pop crap over hearing that Phantom trash one more time.

I think we can all agree on that, and that was kind of the purpose of the thread.

New... or at least not overused... music for our favorites to consider.

I've seen some excellent suggestions, and I've been introduced to some new music I hadn't heard before.

LRK

Record Breaker
LRK, I agree about LOTR. I cut a program for a local skater to it, and it should be used more. I don't know why some soundtracks are used over and over and some, much better ones, used not at all. I'm in favor of a list of songs that no one can use for at least one season, and I have a lot of that list in my head...

The exception - if you want to skate to Carmen, you have to use the Gilligan's Island versions from their musical verion of Hamlet. ;-)

Ooo - that's so intriguing to me! Out of curiosity, if I may ask - what pieces did you use? I know it's a bit OT to the thread perhaps, but I'd really like to know.:)

Sunny Little

On the Ice
Joe Hisaishi produces most of Studio Ghibli's music.
Bear McCreary = Battlestar Galactica, Outlander, Walking Dead etc
Cloud Atlas = one of the most underappreciated movies with an outstanding score.
Alexander Desplat = The King's Speech, Argo, HP: DH Part 1, Benjamin Button

These composers are really good and I do hope other people would consider their music. I would have put Ramin Djawadi in the list as well but Brezina's use of the Game of Thrones music for his SP is a nod to Djawadi.

+50,000 Brownie Points for Cloud Atlas. Definitely an underrated movie. Not gonna start fangirling about the scores here because I have too much feelings towards it. :drama:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Miyasaki is getting an Oscar fellowship for life time achievement coming Academy awards... Joe should also go and get honoure too. It is impossible to separate the two maestros work. AND yes a skater should do a tribute to the best of studio Ghibli but none of the current lot have the complete range... so that only leaves a skating show where Daisuke, Mao, Hanyu et Al need to go....

Ooo - that's so intriguing to me! Out of curiosity, if I may ask - what pieces did you use? I know it's a bit OT to the thread perhaps, but I'd really like to know.:)

LRK I wish I could remember - it was over 10 years ago. It was from Fellowship, some of the lighter Shire music, IIRC.

I wish we could have a ban on some of that overused music. Then the ISU would actually be accomplishing something.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Agree. I watched the video of Josh Farris' SP from 4CC where British Eurosport were commentating on it, they said something about choosing songs with lyrics and I TOTALLY 100% agree with them on what they say. Here's the link on what they said. http://youtu.be/1FyUIfXKyHI

Seems like they spot on know my opinion.

Skaters should choose what music THEY like. NOT music that's over-popular, what their coaches like, or what others think they should skate to.

If the skater chooses the songs, and they LOVE the song, then the program feels more real.

So as previous people say, Gracie should be able to skate to Taylor Swift if she loves Taylor Swift. Like the song "15." Ever since I was about 13-14, when I heard that song, I always thought it would be cool for someone to skate to. And that was even before the Vancouver Olympics. Ever since I was 13 I've been making a list of songs that would be great for figure skating.

Jeremy Abbott seemed to enjoy his SP because he skated to Sam Smith and he seems to like Sam Smith.

So basically, my point is, that if skaters like a certain artist or song, and it's appropriate to skate to, then by all means give it a shot.

LRK

Record Breaker
LRK I wish I could remember - it was over 10 years ago. It was from Fellowship, some of the lighter Shire music, IIRC.

I wish we could have a ban on some of that overused music. Then the ISU would actually be accomplishing something.

Thanks for replying though - and I think it was really cool of you to use it.:thumbsup:

dna5019

Final Flight
Not sure if anyone would agree with me on this, but I think Lindsey Stirling would be an interesting choice for the right skater. Particularly:

Shadows
Take Flight
Elements

Also, Nobuo Uematsu (composer for most of the Final Fantasy series) has written some very beautiful work. I'd love to see a skater do a routine to one of his songs, or perhaps even a medley.

Agree about Lord of the Rings by the way. :)

chasingpolaris

On the Ice
For no specific skater but I'd wish there were more people using music by/of:
Joe Hisaishi
Bear McCreary
Cloud Atlas
Alexander Desplat

I think Joe Hisaishi's music would be wonderful for a program. Just not sure why no one has attempted to use it. (Correct me if I'm wrong?)

I can see the Spirited Away soundtrack being used.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
I think Joe Hisaishi's music would be wonderful for a program. Just not sure why no one has attempted to use it. (Correct me if I'm wrong?)

Its been used a few times by lower ranked/younger skaters. There's one junior skater who's using his OST but her music cuts doesn't do it justice :p

chasingpolaris

On the Ice
Its been used a few times by lower ranked/younger skaters. There's one junior skater who's using his OST but her music cuts doesn't do it justice :p

Ah, thanks for the info. I don't pay attention the juniors much. Now if we could get the seniors to start using his music.

burntBREAD

Medalist

Howl's Moving Castle's been done occasionally by Junior skaters.

Mirai Nagasu's 2009-2010 SP's first half was "Fragile Dreams" by Joe Hisaishi (before the Pirates of the Caribbean cut).

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Liza Tuk-Samson and Delilah
Elena Radio-I Got Rhythm
Yulia Lip-Reflection
Gracie Gold-Cabaret Medley
Samantha Cesario-West Side Story Medley(hat tip to previous poster who suggested--brilliant!)

beabstress

On the Ice
Depending on the short dance pattern for next year, I'd like to see Kaitlin Hawayek and Jean-Luc Baker skate to something like Pride and Prejudice theme or Clair de Lune. Or maybe they need to show their versatility with something more modern and upbeat at least for the next year or so, But I think that dramatic lyrical Romeo and Juliet piece they picked this year was a perfect entre to Seniors. Maybe the Pride and Prejudice or Clair de Lune could be kept for the Olympic year.

The Short Dance pattern for next year is the Ravensburger Waltz.