PJ Kwong interviews Carol Lane on Gilles/Poirier, Solo Dance and more | Page 4 | Golden Skate

PJ Kwong interviews Carol Lane on Gilles/Poirier, Solo Dance and more

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
You are right, it was PJ.
I keep saying I am always right in these threads but nobody ever believes me LOL (just kidding around)
I do not see a difference between selling a story and telling a story. Then again, I *like* Lilah and Lewis, not just for performance factors but for skating, and too darn bad if that makes me a cheese fan.:biggrin:
Not all cheese is equal :)
Madi and Evan had an involved take about time and what it meant and how it changed and that was their FD. I'm not sure it worked, but that was their take. Then again, I don't see where Piper and Paul told a story. Beautiful skating, but not a story.
That's a question of perception. Some people watched the total solar eclipse yesterday and told me it was the most amazing thing they had seen in their lives. I am pretty sure other people would say otherwise.
I agree with them (both PJ and Carol in this instance) that patterns and ODs are a good way to compare teams. No need for a story. ;)
:) So you have listened after all :)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I keep saying I am always right in these threads but nobody ever believes me LOL (just kidding around)

Not all cheese is equal :)

That's a question of perception. Some people watched the total solar eclipse yesterday and told me it was the most amazing thing they had seen in their lives. I am pretty sure other people would say otherwise.

:) So you have listened after all :)

Oh, we believe you, maybe we don't want to admit it. :)

I didn't listen to all 50 minutes, but much of it on and off. It was interesting, I like PJ and I can see where Carol would make a great coach, calm and analytical.

Of course, the story telling part is subjective. Fun fact that I hope is not too off topic (and believe it or not, not because I want to drag my fav into every thread, but because I think it is relevant): Jason had a difficult time figuring out how to skate Riverdance. Not the steps (although that too) but because he didn't know how to present it. He made up a story for himself (his words) about the Irish warrior coming to battle, winning, and celebrating. So the stories help the skaters too. :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Oh, we believe you, maybe we don't want to admit it. :)

I didn't listen to all 50 minutes, but much of it on and off. It was interesting, I like PJ and I can see where Carol would make a great coach, calm and analytical.

Of course, the story telling part is subjective. Fun fact that I hope is not too off topic (and believe it or not, not because I want to drag my fav into every thread, but because I think it is relevant): Jason had a difficult time figuring out how to skate Riverdance. Not the steps (although that too) but because he didn't know how to present it. He made up a story for himself (his words) about the Irish warrior coming to battle, winning, and celebrating. So the stories help the skaters too. :)
Some musicians like to invent stories when they play pure music (as opposed to programmatic music). So yeah... a strong narrative can be helpful.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Another skill that is deemphasized now is the ability to be spot on the beat while maintaining unison, no matter how fast the beat is. Not every team excels at music with a quick beat. Davis & White were particularly good at it. This is a skill that in the past was key in Original Dances, Short Dances, and Rhythm Dances. And it is still a skill that I value highly. The dancers become a visible expression of the music to me. I still remember D&W's Giselle/ Yankee Polka SD with great fondness
Thank you for mentioning the ability to be on the beat. It is such an important part of interpreting the music and requires a command of one’s movement. Meryl & Charlie used their speed, understanding of music and technique to bring new life to many often used pieces. Their dramatic pieces and the happiness of Giselle and their waltzes brought me great joy. My most often watched piece is Samson & Delilah which showed them off so perfectly. Klimova and Ponomarenko along with Torvill & Dean were masters of staying on time. Dance in general owes a lot to Pakhomova & Gorshkov for inventing the Tango Romantica. One of the things lost with CD is the awareness of and the ability of executing unique and musical steps of the Argentine Tango and Paso Doble. I remember watching lower level skaters doing these really cool steps and wanting to be able to do them too. We need more steps unique to skating that make skaters and laypeople want to try them to grow the sport.

Last edited:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Thank you for mentioning the ability to be on the beat. It is such an important part of interpreting the music and requires a command of one’s movement. Meryl & Charlie used their speed, understanding of music and technique to bring new life to many often used pieces. Their dramatic pieces and the happiness of Giselle and their waltzes brought me great joy. My most often watched piece is Samson & Delilah which showed them off so perfectly. Klimova and Ponomarenko along with Torvill & Dean were masters of staying on time. Dance in general owes a lot to Pakhomova & Gorshkov for inventing the Tango Romantica. One of the things lost with CD is the awareness of and the ability of executing unique and musical steps of the Argentine Tango and Paso Doble. I remember watching lower level skaters doing these really cool steps and wanting to be able to do them too. We need more steps unique to skating that make skaters and laypeople want to try them to grow the sport.
OMG, this recalls Torvill and Dean's Paso Doble. Off to a rewatch!