Plushenko intends to restart career | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Plushenko intends to restart career

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Poor Kovtun. I don't really care what he says or said, did or does...he seems like a nice enough guy at the present time...

Anyway, I don't get the Plushenko hate either. Who are you to say he should or shouldn't come back; it's his body and life and if skating and competing is what makes him happy, good for him.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
And it's not Kovtun fault that Gachinski and Voronov failed to keep two spots the year prior. No matter how hard you try, this is not all Kovtun fault.

Well if you want to play this game, we could always go to: but it was Gachinski's fault that there were two spots to begin with. (And yes, still peeved that Gachinski got all the blame after Nice and Voronov slipped by without getting much of it.)

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
let's just blame the person or people who made the rule only 1 team/competitor for host country. . . . i think that is much kinder.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Poor Kovtun. I don't really care what he says or said, did or does...he seems like a nice enough guy at the present time...

Anyway, I don't get the Plushenko hate either. Who are you to say he should or shouldn't come back; it's his body and life and if skating and competing is what makes him happy, good for him.

Poor Russian men, period. If they aren't Plushenko, they get trashed for not being as good or consistent as him at all times. If it is Plushenko, he gets bashed for daring to come back.

Why is it so hard for people to move on and quit rehashing things that happened years ago? Isn't the present and future interesting enough?

Naya

On the Ice
It looks like I sowed some discord here. People, don't get me wrong, I like Plushy and it's ok for me if he wants to continue his carreer, but I have no doubt he will be hardly criticized if he doesn't compete at any Worlds before the Olympics. Even if he deserve the olympic spot after all, such scenario would give fuel to his critics (and would have a touch of unfairness).

Last edited:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well if you want to play this game, we could always go to: but it was Gachinski's fault that there were two spots to begin with. (And yes, still peeved that Gachinski got all the blame after Nice and Voronov slipped by without getting much of it.)

Yeah we can play this game since it was Kovtun who ended up getting Russia BACK its two spots that Gachinski and Voronov initially lost. Yeah I'm peeved that Gachinski got all the blame too while Voronov slid under the radar. But at some point you must move on. Voronov managed to pick himself up and has risen these last two seasons, Gachinski........I got nothing. And I have seen him live for the last 2 Skate Americas and I'm ready for another Russian this year, nothing against Gachinski, I like him still somewhat.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Poor Russian men, period. If they aren't Plushenko, they get trashed for not being as good or consistent as him at all times. If it is Plushenko, he gets bashed for daring to come back.
Why is it so hard for people to move on and quit rehashing things that happened years ago? Isn't the present and future interesting enough?
:thumbsup:
The only reason I don't want Plushy to be back is I am worried for his health. I mean people have known and always will know how great he is. Just want him to be careful.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Yeah we can play this game since it was Kovtun who ended up getting Russia BACK its two spots that Gachinski and Voronov initially lost. Yeah I'm peeved that Gachinski got all the blame too while Voronov slid under the radar. But at some point you must move on. Voronov managed to pick himself up and has risen these last two seasons, Gachinski........I got nothing. And I have seen him live for the last 2 Skate Americas and I'm ready for another Russian this year, nothing against Gachinski, I like him still somewhat.

I hope he won't be at SA either...I'd love to see Voronov, Pitkeev, Menshov, and/or (dare to dream) Plushy instead. And yes, I still like Artur as a person, but he's been very underwhelming for several seasons now.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Everyone can come back but the rule should be clear and fair. I would have loved this guy much much more if he retired after Vancouver.

dress

On the Ice
His come back will be fair as long as he qualifies by competing at nationals llike the other men

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
He bombed at Russian Nats though. Hugely.

Although he did rise to the occasion in the team event (not that the gold wasn't already sealed anyways).
Oh come on! He didn't bomb hugely at Nats in 2013. He had a trying free skate, but his short was good when I remember correctly. For me, bombing is popping jumps and falling OR falling more than once. With a landed quad and no falls he didn't bomb his free. And anyway, from 2011-2013 he won Nats two times and finished second one time. And having him there in Sochi must've helped the team a lot, I think they also said that a lot of times.
That one bad skate is an statistical outlier for me. And this was Nats!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
but I have no doubt he will be hardly criticized if he doesn't compete at any Worlds before the Olympics. Even if he deserve the olympic spot after all, such scenario would give fuel to his critics (and would have a touch of unfairness).

Oh please! He got a ton of criticism for that ahead of both Vancouver and Sochi. Meanwhile, Precious Queen Yuna can just turn up at the big events when she feels like it, but no-one will criticise HER for the same thing.

His come back will be fair as long as he qualifies by competing at nationals llike the other men

He's never done anything else! He's always come to Russian Nationals and competed there.

I hope he won't be at SA either...I'd love to see Voronov, Pitkeev, Menshov, and/or (dare to dream) Plushy instead. And yes, I still like Artur as a person, but he's been very underwhelming for several seasons now.

What a shame. I guess you'll miss the start of Artur's Liza-like comeback.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Oh please! He got a ton of criticism for that ahead of both Vancouver and Sochi. Meanwhile, Precious Queen Yuna can just turn up at the big events when she feels like it, but no-one will criticise HER for the same thing.

did she take another skater's spot for the sochi ?? No. because of her Korea got 3 spots for both sochi and worlds, also if it wasnt for injury she was gonna compete at GPS at 2013-2014, i understand you being protective of skaters but you can do it without bashing others

Pika

Final Flight

The fact is that in Korea, no girl can compete at Yuna's level, when Russia does have men at least as competitive as Plushenko

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
did she take another skater's spot for the sochi ?? No. because of her Korea got 3 spots for both sochi and worlds, also if it wasnt for injury she was gonna compete at GPS at 2013-2014, i understand you being protective of skaters but you can do it without bashing others

And if it wasn't for injury Plushenko was going to compete on the GP in 2013-2014. He wanted to do so.

And again, Plushenko didn't steal anyone's spot. Kovtun has proved himself unreliable, I don't blame the federation for wanting to go with the steady rock. It wasn't Plushenko's fault he was unable to do the individual event and was unable to let VORONOV, who deserved it more than Kovtun, skate the individual.

Pika

Final Flight
It may be not it's fault, but can we call plushenko reliable with all his injuries coming back to back ? Maybe Kovtun at the Olympics would have been a disaster, but at least he would have skate and Russia would have been represented.
Plushenko has accomplished everything, he has nothing more to prove, and he's getting old. The new generation must be on the front of the scene, and leaving the others males behind, in Plushenko's shadow won't help them to progress

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
And if it wasn't for injury Plushenko was going to compete on the GP in 2013-2014. He wanted to do so.

And again, Plushenko didn't steal anyone's spot. Kovtun has proved himself unreliable, I don't blame the federation for wanting to go with the steady rock. It wasn't Plushenko's fault he was unable to do the individual event and was unable to let VORONOV, who deserved it more than Kovtun, skate the individual.

i didnt say anything about plushenko stealing spots, but you sound like yuna took others spots because she felt like it, on the contrary it was really difficult for her to be in competetive spirit but she did everything she could and she took 2 teammates with her to sochi, plus comparing Korea and Russia isnt really fair because of the circumstances

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It may be not it's fault, but can we call plushenko reliable with all his injuries coming back to back ?

Absolutely we can, because when his body holds up, he always delivers. No mindless meltdowns from him, EVER.

i didnt say anything about plushenko stealing spots, but you sound like yuna took others spots because she felt like it

YOU were the one making it sound like Plushenko just waltzed in with no intention of competing. I was just returning the favour. Plushenko got huge amounts of criticism for not doing GPs or many comps in the lead up to Vancouver and Sochi, but you simply weren't allowed to voice any return criticism of Yuna.