Plushenko intends to restart career | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Plushenko intends to restart career

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
I actually don't think Plush is delusional. When he says he wants to win gold at oly 2018, I think he is trolling and he is well aware he probably couldn't beat Hanyu, Chan, Ten and the likes. But i think he is going for the record in the number of participations and also maybe for the team gold like in Sochi.
Let's be honest, if he really comes back he will probably place on the podium at Europeans, hell even maybe win. And then at Worlds he'll be at least in the top ten, earn several spots for Russia so he can participate at the olys without the criticism of stealing spots of others...

Or maybe he really believes he can win gold lol and why not, go big or go home i guess

peg

Medalist
A couple of months ago, I read an article written by a former Olympic athlete (I can't remember who, because it was in a sport I don't pay attention to) who basically was saying that transitioning out of elite sports and into a post-sport life was the hardest thing many athletes have had to do. They're used to working hard, being ultra-focused on success in their sport, and much of their sense of self and self-worth is tied up in performing well in their sport. When that phase of their life is over, they often feel lost. I suspect that it might be all the more difficult for someone who has basically become a legend in their sport, and has been at or near the top in the world from a very young age. So I agree with those who have suggested that Plushenko should seek a therapist's help in getting through that hurdle.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
+ Running physical education programs and master classes, playing golf, football, Airsoft, kickboxing...skating in other shows in Asia and Europe, etc.

This is why I'd rather him not return. It seems like he's doing a lot of very cool things, and it would be a shame if he couldn't do them a few years from now because of injuries he sustained or aggravated by competing too long.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I actually don't think Plush is delusional. When he says he wants to win gold at oly 2018, I think he is trolling and he is well aware he probably couldn't beat Hanyu, Chan, Ten and the likes. But i think he is going for the record in the number of participations and also maybe for the team gold like in Sochi.
Let's be honest, if he really comes back he will probably place on the podium at Europeans, hell even maybe win. And then at Worlds he'll be at least in the top ten, earn several spots for Russia so he can participate at the olys without the criticism of stealing spots of others...

Or maybe he really believes he can win gold lol and why not, go big or go home i guess

He didn't say he wants to win Oly gold. He said he wants to win medal. Big difference.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
A couple of months ago, I read an article written by a former Olympic athlete (I can't remember who, because it was in a sport I don't pay attention to) who basically was saying that transitioning out of elite sports and into a post-sport life was the hardest thing many athletes have had to do. They're used to working hard, being ultra-focused on success in their sport, and much of their sense of self and self-worth is tied up in performing well in their sport. When that phase of their life is over, they often feel lost. I suspect that it might be all the more difficult for someone who has basically become a legend in their sport, and has been at or near the top in the world from a very young age. So I agree with those who have suggested that Plushenko should seek a therapist's help in getting through that hurdle.

You are wrong. He was out off competitive sport for three years before Vancouver. If the Russians didn't call back probably didn't come back to the skating never. He didn't need therapist he did it easily. And now he has a great life, he can do whatever he wants, he finds many interesting tasks for himself. I follow him closely but I also don't understand him.

LRK

Record Breaker
He didn't say he wants to win Oly gold. He said he wants to win medal. Big difference.

In fairness, though, it's easy to make that mistake, as for instance because of this article:

http://sputniknews.com/russia/20150417/1021029855.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

which has a very misdirecting title: "'I Feel100% Healthy and I'mGoing for Olympic Gold':plushenko is Back"

when, in fact, in the article itself, what Plushy says is:

"I feel 100 percent healthy now, that’s why I decided to resume my sporting career and try to take part and win medals in my fifth Olympic Games.”

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
To return to the competitive ice will definitelly do harm to his health, but he has such a fighting spirit that no other top skaters can compete against, so we have to wait and see to avoid jumping to conclusions.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
To return to the competitive ice will definitelly do harm to his health, but he has such a fighting spirit that no other top skaters can compete against, so we have to wait and see to avoid jumping to conclusions.

Yes! this is what I'm thinking..
Voronov about his comeback:

Sergei Voronov: "Near Plushenko, you alone becomes stronger" http://www.sport-express.ru/figure-skating/news/866950/

"Q: Evgeni Plushenko announced that he started traning. How do you feel about it?
A: It's great. When you are next to an extraordinary person, and Plushenko is an extraordinary person, it's not just a compliment, you start to feel different. It's another atmosphere, another energy, another attitude. Strong competitors make you stronger. The most important thing is health. If there is health, there is desire. What Plushenko is capable of, it is for him to decide." ( by quiqie on FSU)

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
"Q: Evgeni Plushenko announced that he started traning. How do you feel about it?
A: It's great. When you are next to an extraordinary person, and Plushenko is an extraordinary person, it's not just a compliment, you start to feel different. It's another atmosphere, another energy, another attitude. Strong competitors make you stronger. The most important thing is health. If there is health, there is desire. What Plushenko is capable of, it is for him to decide." ( by quiqie on FSU)

Voronov is one of the classiest skaters around. He's loved everywhere he goes. Especially in Japan.

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
Voronov is trully a great person. He seems to be friends with everyone and he always congratulates people very warmly for their success! I am really happy the public loves him because he deserves it!

As for Plushy, if his body holds up, he can win Euro and GP medals for sure. And worlds, who knows? Most of the top skaters are pretty inconsistent so you never know!! But I still think that if he goes for the 2018 olympics, his focus will be more on breaking record of attendance and on the team event.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Awww, Sergei, what a class act!

Go the Old Men of Russia! :love:

Esopian

Final Flight
Guys, just let him go for 2018. If not, he'll try again in 2022.

I was afraid of thinking that, :laugh:

In all seriousness, this news is quite confusing about his comeback. Plushenko has already accomplished so much, why would he want to comeback again? :confused: (is it just his personality?)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
In all seriousness, this news is quite confusing about his comeback. Plushenko has already accomplished so much, why would he want to comeback again? :confused: (is it just his personality?)

Michael Schumacher was already a seven-times World Champion when he came back to Formula 1 at the age of 43 (very ancient for an F1 driver). He had accomplished so much. But he could not live without racing. I think the same is true for Plushy. The ice is so much a part of him, he can never leave it, and his spirit is that of a champion, who will always be competitive.