Polina Edmunds Withdraws from Worlds | Page 16 | Golden Skate

Polina Edmunds Withdraws from Worlds

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Wait…Isn't it Canada that people like to hate on the most on this forum? We have even had threads about it: "Why does GS hate Canada?" ;)
Frankly I think that lyndichee has the better part of the argument here. Hiding behind the anonymity of the Internet does not, in my opinion, excuse boorish behavior.

As for "criticisms of her packaging," many of these remarks come off like "you're ugly and your mom dresses you funny; you can't sit at the cool kids' table." No matter how "thick-skinned" we wish the targets of our cleverness to be, I think it is worth the couple of extra seconds that it takes to word a critical observation more constructively.

JMO, of course.

Fair enough, but no one has used boorish words wrt Polina's packaging. There's been no "You're ugly" but I agree with her mother dresses her funny. And I'm sure no one thinks any words we write on this forum are meant to get back to the skater. It's a skating forum, what else are we to talk about, if not praise the things we like and critique the things we don't? We rail Miyahara on her miniscule jumps, is that boorish? Considering this sport is a performance sport, her packaging and choregraphy are fair game IMO. I mean, when Polina came out at Nationals with those ringlets my first reaction was "Oh dear god, NO!" I don't think that is boorish behavior. Anyway, some people have different sensitivity levels. We try to accommodate each other in that respect. You want boorish behavior go to that other skating forum where it is constant putdowns, personal attacks, and total rudeness. I don't see that here at all.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Fair enough, but no one has used boorish words wrt Polina's packaging. There's been no "You're ugly" but I agree with her mother dresses her funny. And I'm sure no one thinks any words we write on this forum are meant to get back to the skater. It's a skating forum, what else are we to talk about, if not praise the things we like and critique the things we don't? We rail Miyahara on her miniscule jumps, is that boorish? Considering this sport is a performance sport, her packaging and choregraphy are fair game IMO. I mean, when Polina came out at Nationals with those ringlets my first reaction was "Oh dear god, NO!" I don't think that is boorish behavior. Anyway, some people have different sensitivity levels. We try to accommodate each other in that respect. You want boorish behavior go to that other skating forum where it is constant putdowns, personal attacks, and total rudeness. I don't see that here at all.

This is a good point. I don't think we ever talk about a skater's looks on this board, and any discussion of weight and body type is shut down pretty quickly (and rightfully so). Costumes are fair game, as is choreography. I'd be upset if I couldn't vent on here about how much I dislike some of these costumes, such as Julia's tie-dye SP dress.

This is a good point. I don't think we ever talk about a skater's looks on this board, and any discussion of weight and body type is shut down pretty quickly (and rightfully so). Costumes are fair game, as is choreography. I'd be upset if I couldn't vent on here about how much I dislike some of these costumes, such as Julia's tie-dye SP dress.

This? http://cs540103.vk.me/c7002/v7002733/e3d2/fyjXuTHO9mI.jpg

Aw, she's pretty as a rainbow. (Lose the gloves, though. ;) )

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I think it's more that the dress didn't go with Elvis. Maybe I'd like it with a Grateful Dead program?

True. Or even The Beatles. Tie-dye usually equals 1960s psychedelic hippy culture, not 1950s.

Personally I would've loved it if Yulia wore a red and white polka dotted rockabilly style dress for her Elvis program.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I love that dress of Julia's, but not for Elvis. It's anachronistic for Elvis. (As everyone is saying.)

Amei

Record Breaker

The costume wasn't bad, it just didn't seem to go very well with the program, with the exception of that dress her costuming has been pretty on point - mostly age-appropriate and for the most part fit her routines.

Amei

Record Breaker

I remember thinking in her SP at nationals that she looked more like a mature young lady, then for the FS I feel like her team tried to subtract 10 years from her age with the ringlets, not only were they childish but inappropriate for competition - a) her hair was flinging around when she jumped/spinned which looked bad/distracting and b) the ringlets were not properly done with hairspray to keep them in place, and they got messy.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I think we have to be honest about body type and height and weight because it gets judged. Skaters are getting thinner and shorter across the boards except maybe for the male half of a pairs team. I looked at Anna P in her closeup and wondered did she have lip injections. It sure looked like it. She is very pretty and of course blond. To deny that looks don't matter most especially in women's skating and that a certain body type is promoted and rewarded is just to ignore the truth or not mention the elephant in the room. Long ago a certain pretty Oly gold medalist had a nose job after turning pro and got many face lifts as an announcer. To deny that Peggy was always thin and maintained her look is to deny how,she stayed at the top,for years. Glamour began with Sonja Henie. Dorothy wasn't a button but really so naturally pretty. Witt was stunning. Did it help? Of course it did. And now it's having as perfect a body as you and your trainers can manage.

Little Julia could not eat. Triple triples are much easier for shorter thin girls. Russian teens and Asians dominate men's and ladies singles. 5'8" is a tall skater in men's. Look at at the US men even. Adam is short, Maxx is shorter it seems. Jason Brown is the only top male who has a taller thicker body. I think he won't do quads ever like Shoma or very thin Hanyu and Boyang. If multiple rotations are the name of the game then short and thin seems the needed body type. We don't see Joshi able to compete with her build very effectively. I think Mae is at times undermarked because of her body type. I could be wrong but many times people say she wasnt scored well and I think it is because she does not fit the mold.

The sport has changed. Asian men dominate with the exception of Javi who isn't very tall either. We will not likely see any more guys as big as Boitano,was or Petrenko, nor Plushenko and Lysacek. He didn't have a reliable quad. Robin cousins was fast on his feet but could such a tall man do all these quads and speedy crazy footwork? I would love to see it but I don't think we will again with the sport having changed a great deal and the winning body types changing with the demands. Why should it not be truthfully discussed? Look at Mirai 2010 and Mirai now. Totally different skater and the body changes are a big part of it. I think she looks great but everyone wants long lean muscles and her legs are not that.

I am very happy she skated as well as she did and think her scores should be higher in the sp. but then I don't pick apart protocols and I guess the sp scoring was fair. I haven't read the huge thread since I can never get those feeds to stream but I'm sure there will be many a scoring discussion after the Lp is completed.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
The costume wasn't bad, it just didn't seem to go very well with the program, with the exception of that dress her costuming has been pretty on point - mostly age-appropriate and for the most part fit her routines.

I think that probably made the costume choice even more jarring. Her Schindler's List dress was one of my all time favorites.