Share your Skating Competition Stories | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Share your Skating Competition Stories

jcoates

Medalist
I'm from the DC area, so I've been fortunate enough to attend several World Pro Championships from its years in Landover, Maryland at the old Capital Center.

1. World Pros, 1991, Landover, MD (Capital Center)
2. Men, Ladies, Pairs, Dance
3. This was my first competition. I'd watched skating on TV casually as an kid in the 80s, but really fell in love with it during the 88 Olympics. NBC broadcast the event each year and I watched religiously. However, this was my first chance to go. The Capital Center was the venue for almost all the the event's history. It was a very bland concrete structure by today's standards, but the acoustics were fantastic and amplified the enthusiasm of crowd dramatically. Nevertherless, because it wasn't cavernous, it had an intimate feeling. There wasn't a bad seat in the house.

Much of the crowd were regulars who really knew their skating. The skaters knew that and really took the event seriously. For those who weren't around back then and never experienced pro skating, this was major competition. It was invitation only (from Uncle Dick who was the overlord of pro skating at the time) and if you bombed, you probably wouldn't be invited back for a while.

Brian Boitano was at the peak of the untouchable period of his pro career. His jumps were brilliant. I remember the speed he carried over the ice and just how powerful he seemed. He hit the crescendos of his music so beautifully, especially with his spread eagles and that monster of a death drop. He obviously won easily and the crowd adored him. Robin Cousins and Brian Orser also competed. Orser skated to My Buddy as a tribute to Rob McCall who had passed away the month before from complications of AIDS . Tracy Wilson was on the judging panel (two facts I learned when watching the NBC broadcast. It was extremely poignant for me as a not-yet-out gay teen growing up in very scary time and given that we now know that both Brians were gay as well. Remember this was the height of a period when gay skaters (Ondej Nepala, Shaun McGill, Dennis Coi, Brian Pockar, and later John Curry) and gay men in general were dying in quick succession.

Debbi Thomas won her final World Pro title after losing it the previous year to Denise Beillman. Debbi and Denise were both crowd favorites. Denise has finally won the year before. Everyone knew Debbi wanted to close out her pro career with another win before retiring to focus solely on medical school. My mother and grandmother were really pulling for her.

G &G won their first world pro title that year. They skated their Nutcracker technical and Pagliaci artistic programs. Speed, grace, unison. Their technical program was perfection is still one I'll pull up online to rewatch.

Bestemianova and Bukin won the dance event. To be honest, my clearest memory of them is confusion. Their pro programs were really heavy on theatric and not very accessible to me or most of the audience.

I'll post about the other events later.

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Thank you for your story Jcoates! It's amazing you were able to see all these Greats at a pro competition.

-I really wish there were more of those around today.

jcoates

Medalist
Thank you for your story Jcoates! It's amazing you were able to see all these Greats at a pro competition.

-I really wish there were more of those around today.

Thanks Newbiespectator. I'll post about the others (World Pros 1992, 1993, 1999 and Worlds 2003) later today. Kristi, Midori, Wylie, Plushenko and Kwan.

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
I went to see TEB twice. In 2006, I saw ladies and men. I can't remember much to be honest. It was quite uneventful. Yu-Na Kim won in front of Miki Ando and Kimmie Meissner. I wasn't a big fan of anyone -though I think I was rooting for Miki and Valentina Marchei- so it didn't leave a lasting impression on me. Men, Brian won and I was really happy. Alban Préaubert did a quad and his dad (i believe it was his dad or someone from his family) who was just a few rows in front of me swore super loud when he landed it cleanly. Patrick Chan also had THE WEIRDEST fall on the entry jump of a spin. Everyone gasped and was really confused. But I remember we agreed with my sister that he was very promising (LOL).

In 2008 I saw pairs and ladies LP. S/S won and Maxim Trankov with Maria Mukhortova were second. I was sat next to a few photographers and they all grunted and said her outfit was ugly. It was the year they did their program to the lady and the hooligan and Maria had a red/pink dress with fluffy white feathers on her chest. I liked it personally and was of course rooting for diva Maxim Trankov :)
The ladies, I saw Mao :love: and died. I was such a huge fan of her (still am!!!) that I couldn't find the will to care about other skaters. She finished second and she fell on triple axel and maybe something else but she was magnificent still :biggrin: Also it was the LP to Khachaturian waltz, I am just so happy i got to see her skate even if it wasn't her best. I remember that Caroline Zhang skated as well and that I really enjoyed her performance. I got to meet Florent Amodio who was in the public for a few programs. He was nice and cocky.

Last edited:

keasus

On the Ice
US Nationals 1998, Philadelphia. I was about 5-6 rows from the ice. Some memories:

Seeing a young Matt Savoie, all gangly arms and legs with an ugly Last of the Mohicans costume. Yet, there was something about him that just told me that he would someday become one of my favorite skaters (and he did)!

Tara Lipinski:rolley: Tiny, whippy jumps with a lot of two-foot stroking. Not impressed.

Todd Eldredge: Powerful, fluid stroking; fast, centered spins; text-book jumps with great height, distance, and speed going in and out.

Michelle Kwan: As Terry Gannon called it "two performances for the ages." Unbelievably fast on the ice, yet she never looked rushed. She just galvanized the audience. And she does everything with pure edges, no toe picks or scratchy skating.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^ We were so lucky to be able to attend 1998 US Nationals in Phila., PA. It was our "vacation" without the hotel bills that year, and so memorable. During the ladies' practice, I had to go to the ladies' room. While walking through the concourse, I thought I saw Danny Kwan (I recognized him during the practice through my binoculars, plus seeing him on TV). I walked up to him and asked him if he was Michelle's dad. He said, "Yes." He was worried about Michelle, saying something like "I don't think she's quite ready." This was the season of her stress fracture. I tried to reassure him that she looked fine during the practice session. The rest is history from that week! :biggrin:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Paolo Borromeo especially stood out to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqG3UPgU7as

Paolo Borromeo's competitive skates winning the novice men's competition were AWESOME. I'm not sure I've ever seen a standing ovation for a novice performance before, but definitely not one on par with the one after his free skate.

However, if I'm going to pick a memorable event to share about . . .

2002 Skate America--Spokane, WA--The first event in the season after the Salt Lake Olympics.
I watched everything.

We saw . . .
1. Alexei Yagudin's last competitive skate. The "racecar" short program. He withdrew before the free skate. I remember him sitting in the audience, signing autographs through the wait time and motioning at the autograph seekers to stop & sit down whenever someone skated.

2. Brian Joubert in his FIRST senior international win. His clock short program was fabulous. And even though we were all so sorry Alexei withdrew, Brian skated wonderfully and earned his own standing O's.

3. The first TWO triple axles in the ladies' event since Midori Ito. We (those of us in the audience) knew Nakano was going to try it, and everyone was impressed. I never had any idea the Russian girl did a triple axle as well until after I returned home and saw the tv coverage.

4. Tanith & Ben's Elvis program. That's when I realized Ben was actually the star of the team:)

5. Navka & Kostomarov on their way up. (They weren't on there way up much longer).

6. Yuko Kawaguchi skating with her previous Russian partner for Japan. We (again the audience) were very impressed with her.

There were lots of athletes there who were well-known at the time, but what was memorable was seeing so many of these future stars really at the beginning of their rise to far greater heights. And having the chance to watch them throughout the following decade.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Vancouver, 2008, Canadian nationals.

They had all of the long programs except ladies on the Saturday, the ladies long and the gala on Sunday morning. I bought two passes that gave us entry to all the weekend events and went with my adult daughter, who lived in Vancouver. We watched almost every skater on Saturday, and there were a lot of them! Went to a diner for lunch and then to the Vancouver Public library branch to decompress a bit.

The competition was really great, but very tiring. We saw Patrick Chan win his first Canadian championship. Wasn't too impressed by the top pairs, but did like Megan Duhamel/Craig Bunton and Dylan Moskovitch skating with his sister. We were really tired by the time the last skaters of the day finished - Virtue and Moir winning their first Canadian ice dance championship. Unlike many here who describe hanging around for autographs, we looked at each other, said "these guys are going to win" and high-tailed it for the car before they were done taking their bows. We could still hear the roars of applause coming from the arena as we sped from the parking lot, avoiding the inevitable traffic jams.

Am I about to be expelled from Golden Skate?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
The thing of it is, I cant remember one of the 20 or so events I have attended that DIDNT have its emotional high moments, as well as its lows. And for me, its all about the emotion.
But I will mention a few...
1. 2013 Worlds. London Ont. CA. Yuna's long program..emotional music , emotional skate.
2. 2009 SkateAm, Lake Placid. Yuna's short program...that dress, that music, that Bond girl!
3. 2002 SkateAm, Spokane. My first comp. I was hooked. No more ice shows for me...this was the place.... Lots of good skating but to see MK show up (cause the Hughes girl decided to not show up) and win the event was a thrill.
4. 2009 Worlds LA,,,my first worlds....best event ever when taken in total.....

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The thing of it is, I cant remember one of the 20 or so events I have attended that DIDNT have its emotional high moments, as well as its lows. And for me, its all about the emotion.
But I will mention a few...
1. 2013 Worlds. London Ont. CA. Yuna's long program..emotional music , emotional skate.
2. 2009 SkateAm, Lake Placid. Yuna's short program...that dress, that music, that Bond girl!
3. 2002 SkateAm, Spokane. My first comp. I was hooked. No more ice shows for me...this was the place.... Lots of good skating but to see MK show up (cause the Hughes girl decided to not show up) and win the event was a thrill.
4. 2009 Worlds LA,,,my first worlds....best event ever when taken in total.....

Chris, meeting you @ several comps has been a personal highlight! :cheer:

karlowens2

On the Ice
2006 Oly ladies short program in Torino. I was living in Nice at that time. I could not get a room in Torino so I had to drive up the day of the competition. Did a little sight seeing. That night attended the event. I was pretty far up but believe me Sasha projected up to the rafters. The ovation after her skate blew the roof off. I still consider it one of the best shorts of all time. Without a room I had to drive back through the Maritime Alps in the snow. There was some problem with the highway so I traveled zig zaggy mountain roads half the night. Long, day but worth it.

Tutto

Record Breaker
2006 Oly ladies short program in Torino. I was living in Nice at that time. I could not get a room in Torino so I had to drive up the day of the competition. Did a little sight seeing. That night attended the event. I was pretty far up but believe me Sasha projected up to the rafters. The ovation after her skate blew the roof off. I still consider it one of the best shorts of all time. Without a room I had to drive back through the Maritime Alps in the snow. There was some problem with the highway so I traveled zig zaggy mountain roads half the night. Long, day but worth it.

Thank you so much,how wonderful to hear such stories! Ohh Sasha, Sasha why?! What a wonderful Oly champion you would have made- just a fall short... a deep sigh...
Would be great to hear from someone who was there on the night of LP.

ruffledgrouse

Record Breaker
The only competition I have been to was US Nationals in Boston (2014).

I watched the ladies lp only, because tickets got expensive :cry:

The skaters that stood out especially to me (and my Dad) were:
- Samantha Cesario: she skated first in the third group, and most of the performances before that were underwhelming. She went out and sold her carmen program, landed every single jump, and the choreo sequence at the end had everyone in the building holding there breath. Most of the people at the TD garden stood up after she skated (I think she got more applause than ashley tbh). It was amazing, and the crowd was itching for something to stand up for.
- Polina Edmunds: I wasn't expecting very much from her...but she nailed almost every single one of her jumps (fell on the second flip I believe). She skated the program well, but the art of samantha's program was not there. Polina still had many people stand for her really solid performance though.
- Ashley Wagner: Everyone gasped when she fell, and groaned when she fell again...it felt like the air was sucked out of the building (especially after Christina Gao's heartbreaking lp). Everyone was shocked; we felt so bad for her. The life was gone from her skating in those four minutes...it was really hard to watch
- Gracie Gold: It was really cool to see her go out there and do the jumps and sell the program and to see frank smile! You definitely got the "I'm here to win vibe," and you could tell that Gracie was focused on the jumps. She did so well, and it was really a climax to the evening (she skated last in the final group)
- Mirai Nagasu: I've always been a supporter of Mirai, and to see her go out and do what she's capable of and smile, and enjoy her program was so amazing! People stood before she finished because we all knew what she had gone through. It was a beautiful moment in the kiss and cry when her scores came up and she realized that she was going to be on the podium.

Not sure if this belongs here but...
I also saw the exhibition for Nationals (same competition), and it was all really cool, as I got to see a lot of cool younger skaters; Paolo Borromeo especially stood out to me. They announced the Olympic team before the show started and it was bitter sweet. I was so happy for Ashley and Gracie, but I felt horrible for Mirai (I thought they should of sent Mirai instead of Polina, but that's for another thread :p ). When Mirai came out she was in tears and they had to wait to play her music because she couldn't skate, and then I think one of the most powerful moments of those nationals happened...as Mirai stood crying, trying to get the courage to get out her exhibition, people in the crowd began to stand up one by one, and eventually, she had the entire building giving her a standing ovation BEFORE she skated, recognizing what she was going through. She skated a perfect, emotional and beautiful exhibition, and afterwards a lot of people, including myself, were crying, and she received another standing ovation. When Ashley came out, you could tell it was tense. She skated well, and did her program beautifully, but when she finished, she was also crying, and people in the stands didn't know what to do...she received a half-hearted partial standing ovation, and everyone was relieved I think when she left the ice, because it was such an awkward moment. I will never forget Mirai's exhibition from that day though; the announcer saying "that was beautiful" after she skated, to the crowds reaction after she landed a huge triple toe, and her little smile when she finished.

In searching I found a video of Mirai's exhibition on youtube: It doesn't get close to showing all the emotion, and the stupid commentators are yapping away, but her skate is beautiful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqG3UPgU7as

Sorry I'm late, but here's a fancam without commentators https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSxzN3Aga9g

It's one of my favorite exhibitions

skatesindreams

Rinkside
Here's something I wrote after US Nationals 2014:

A Very Special "Void".

I was always somewhere on the Loge platform in section 9 -Row 16.
However, the ushers would ask me to move up and down the section, as needed, as I was able to do so; while others did not have that option.
Sunday afternoon, I was at the opposite end from where I usually was and found myself next to a lovely lady.
We began to chat. She asked what/why'who I was interested in. I told her. More chat.
I asked her how she became involved...She said, "I'm Jason's Grandmother!

I said "May I hug you"?
I told her that many sophisticated people I knew had been following Jason's progress for years and were impressed by everything we knew about him.
(His blog, demeanor, love for/evident joy in skating, etc.) She said that he is very much as he appears to be.

She said that he works so hard. I told her that we were looking forward to watching him for many years to come.
She was extremely nervous; so, I assumed the task of keeping her calm as possible for the duration.

We watched each skater, with little comments back and forth.

Then, Jason.
As special as I thought it would be; nothing prepared me for the reality.
The intensity, of both Jason and the crowd, increased with every element.
They couldn't wait to stand. .What an explosion of cheering that went on and on.
I've been at these events for many years and never heard anything like that,

His grandmother looked at me; and said: "Well"! I said :"He's going to Sochi"!
We cheered more and waited for the score,
Jason doesn't skate with his glasses; so had no idea of his score until the announcer gave it.
Sheer pandemonium ensued

I told his Grandparents that Jason's performance was everything I hoped for, and more.
We were all overjoyed!

It was an honor and privilege to be there; and to share such a wonderful experience with them,
I am forever grateful.

momrk

Medalist
Country
United-States
In 2003 my daughter who was in high school at the time, and I attended the World Championships in D.C., ladies long program. Both Michelle Kwan fans, you can imagine how thrilled we were to see her win her fifth and last world title.

We watched and cheered for every single skater that day. I remember what a rough fs Carolina Kostner had, and how badly we felt for her. It was the first time we saw Sasha Cohen in person, and I was struck by just how tiny she was and how lovely her spins were. So many skaters we had followed were there- Fumie and Yoshie, Elena Sokolova- oh, it was also our first time seeing Sarah Hughes. But for us, the highlight was seeing Michelle. I still can remember our tension and excitement and how we held our breaths with every jump, cheered her every move and were so excited she won. It was a magical day with my daughter, and we both still have the tee shirts we bought that day.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
How fun to read these stories! I used to go to so many competitions. I'll share some memorable ones:

1. 1993 Olympic Festival, San Antonio TX. The only thing I remember was seeing Michelle Kwan for the first time, and she won the event..
2. 1993 Skate America, Dallas TX. I was dying to see Oksana Baiul, but she bombed. Her presentation live was amazing. Also Tonya had it in the bag, but typical Tonya had some kind of equipment failure, I think it was her blades this time.
3. 2003 Nationals, Dallas, TX. This was a BLAST. I met so many from the old skating boards and we hit it off. A friend of mine introduced me to Tai Babilonia, and during one practice session my new skatefan friends were all siting there and Tai comes running down and comes up to me said "William, have you seen XX????" They asked me if I really knew Tai, and I said "Oh sure, we go way back!!!" LOL
4. 2003 GPF, ColoSpgs. I won't mention which event, in fact I can't remember. But I was sitting near the judges. Well, one of the judges looked up and made eye contact with me, and I think I winked back. Well throughout the event this judge kept looking back at me, even during a program. Anyway, yada yada and I spent the night with the judge at the Broadmoor Hotel.. Fun times!!!

There's more but I want to think some more.