State of Australian Skating 2016 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

State of Australian Skating 2016

Spinning

On the Ice
why do you say this ?

I have no ill intention toward any skaters. But whatever the scores judges threw out here are not legit at all to count. I might misinterpret that the other poster said it counted for minimum TES for 4CC (or Worlds).

I like watching small competitions because you can see more skaters who actually show the joy of skatings. But looking at those score sheets sometime buffles you to no end.

skaterfan2501

Rinkside
I have no ill intention toward any skaters. But whatever the scores judges threw out here are not legit at all to count. I might misinterpret that the other poster said it counted for minimum TES for 4CC (or Worlds).

I like watching small competitions because you can see more skaters who actually show the joy of skatings. But looking at those score sheets sometime buffles you to no end.
Yes at this competition the marking was erratic. Some of the european skaters were marked very hard.

skaterfan2501

Rinkside
Quite a statement, not sure who the strong skaters are that you mention other than Holly and she is a good few years away from senior competition. No one in junior at Aus Nationals was anywhere near Kailani.
A few in Qld - Corina ormston in novice has good 2a and working on triples and Amelia Jackson got junior world SP tech at 13 and got both 4CC scores at nationals!! She got over 122 in Bratislava at 13 years. Shes had a bad season with injury but is also close to three triples and at least attempting them in competition . There is quiet a few good skaters other than Holly and Kailani and everyones pretty sick of the nastiness and blatant favouritism . No one is saying Katie is not doing well but she has had many times this season to get marks having done quiet a few internationals and only securing 2A this year. I think this person is being realistic not mean.

GF2445

Record Breaker
A few in Qld - Corina ormston in novice has good 2a and working on triples and Amelia Jackson got junior world SP tech at 13 and got both 4CC scores at nationals!! She got over 122 in Bratislava at 13 years. Shes had a bad season with injury but is also close to three triples and at least attempting them in competition . There is quiet a few good skaters other than Holly and Kailani and everyones pretty sick of the nastiness and blatant favouritism . No one is saying Katie is not doing well but she has had many times this season to get marks having done quiet a few internationals and only securing 2A this year. I think this person is being realistic not mean.

Im not really connected with the skating community inAustralia. Thankyou for your in sight into this issue. At the end of the day, if the 'less favoured' skaters end up skating better and more aggressive than the 'favoured' skaters, the ISA would invest more in them. But again, that is my speculation.

edwinaskater1943

On the Ice
Let's not forget Amelia Sadler also working on triples . All these girls are significantly younger than Kailani and Katie. It's obvious already that in typical fashion the next generation is a done deal without even results

edwinaskater1943

On the Ice
Im not really connected with the skating community inAustralia. Thankyou for your in sight into this issue. At the end of the day, if the 'less favoured' skaters end up skating better and more aggressive than the 'favoured' skaters, the ISA would invest more in them. But again, that is my speculation.

Like Brooklee it must be daunting when these skaters have to face nationals when they go into competition knowing the favourites already have an advantage. But as Jackson proved at nationals she is a strong competitor and has always done well internationally under top 8 according to ISU bio. Emma Carr is another one that has lots of potential. I think Pasfield, Ormston, Jackson are only ones on squad though and of the two young ones Corina and Amelia have the most potential

skaterfan2501

Rinkside
I'm so over this [emoji14]almf:
I didn't start this thread 2 years ago for bickering over issues of nationality or the nasty side of ISA politics. The Brooklee issue and now the David issue...and now something about ignoring other skaters in favour of others. :sarcasm:

This thread is about celebrating the accomplishments of Australian Figure Skaters on and off the ice.
Just think they wanted to know whether he would get to worlds.

If ISA make decisions that may seem shady they have to expect a little heat. Seems if anyone attempts a bit of honest discussion they are immediatly shutdown.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The Men's event is the only event where there is a cut off.
25 skater compete the short. 1 will miss out on the Free Skate. I just hope it's not one of us.

Oh, gah, don't say that. The look on Andrew's face last year when he got cut broke my heart.

edwinaskater1943

On the Ice
Fair point but the thread is about Australian skaters and skating - isnt it a good thing people are talking about a few others who may also have potential. good luck to every one of them

sk8ingcoach

On the Ice
I know we want to send as many people as possible to 4CC, but how on earth are Matilda and Williams able to go to 4cc when they have never competed senior. I know they achieved the scores in junior but now they will go to taipei and compete a new short dance they have never competed before. Doesn't seem right imo.

edwinaskater1943

On the Ice
I know we want to send as many people as possible to 4CC, but how on earth are Matilda and Williams able to go to 4cc when they have never competed senior. I know they achieved the scores in junior but now they will go to taipei and compete a new short dance they have never competed before. Doesn't seem right imo.

potential Results dont seem to be a concern for this sport in Australia with kids being sent to repreresent the country without even double jumps to enjoy funded holidays with entertainment leaders. We will forever remain and be considered a third rate country while the current adminstration continue to lower standards and bend rules. Its actually really dissapointing as under previous HP results statistically started to lift

Ekm

On the Ice
Fair point but the thread is about Australian skaters and skating - isnt it a good thing people are talking about a few others who may also have potential. good luck to every one of them

The thread should be a positive (as it is a fan fest) place to discuss any/all Aussie skaters, but it does seem a lot of negativity has seeped in lately and I can see how that would be frustrating for those who want to keep things positive. Perhaps creating a "current state of Australian figure skating" thread in the main forum and having those types of discussions there would be more appropriate.

Urucubaca

Rinkside
I'm sure if he were to do just a 3t and 3s program he would go clean easy.

He has way more potential than someone like bore face Charlton

Doesn't he score higher than Jordon Dodds anyway? With less elements? Your point of Jordon as superior is null if you look at Nationals results. Jordon landed 50% of his planned triples. All well and good to look at 'maximum potential', but it almost always differs from actual results.

People forget that Figure Skating is not all about the jumps, and that they're just one part of it. Australia has such a small skating community. Way too small to allow politics to affect it, let alone direct attacks on skaters not apart of your obvious posse.

edwinaskater1943

On the Ice
Doesn't he score higher than Jordon Dodds anyway? With less elements? Your point of Jordon as superior is null if you look at Nationals results. Jordon landed 50% of his planned triples. All well and good to look at 'maximum potential', but it almost always differs from actual results.

People forget that Figure Skating is not all about the jumps, and that they're just one part of it. Australia has such a small skating community. Way too small to allow politics to affect it, let alone direct attacks on skaters not apart of your obvious posse.

I agree. It seems in Australia certain skaters are funded and pushed by a small number of dominant alliances consisting of family members- obviously very active on this forum.they choose to ignore, belittle or make light of results other than the ones who they favour and want the spotlight to be on. I

sk8ingcoach

On the Ice
I agree. It seems in Australia certain skaters are funded and pushed by a small number of dominant alliances consisting of family members- obviously very active on this forum.they choose to ignore, belittle or make light of results other than the ones who they favour and want the spotlight to be on. I

I don't know who you are referring too here. No one family dominates who gets funding and who doesn't ??

Seems Urucubaca is a new member trying to stir more about issues that we have already moved passed from

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
:rolleye::rolleye::rolleye::rolleye:

Yes, obviously I'm the Dodds' long-lost sister. Obviously, it's completely impossible that I could just be an over-excited fan who adores 100% of Team Australia and wants to support them all and hopes they all do well, and gets excited for them. And yeah, has soft spots for certain skaters that she's interacted with personally in the past.

It is disgusting and frankly embarrassing that the Australian skaters' FAN FEST devolves into these petty, sniping, nasty little cat-fights seemingly every page. We have two men, three ladies, and a dance couple competing next week at Four Continents and you lot would rather be sniping and snipping at each other and making nasty insinuations.

There's a reason I generally steer clear of this thread nowadays. Apparently, I'm what's wrong with Australian skating, even though all I want to do is see them all do their best. If you lot are what's "right" with Australian skating then it has a scary future.

GF2445

Record Breaker
I really hate that the thread that i made has been turned into a big mess.
To those who turned the page into this, all i can say is 'How dare you do such a thing'
And 'how dare you make accusations against honest casual fans (and not connected to any one in my country's skating community- like me) conspiring to belittle other skaters'

And thankyou for those who keep it positive.

Last edited: