The biggest transformation within one year | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The biggest transformation within one year

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

hanca

Record Breaker
Pogorilaya. Huge difference between her year at junior level, and then coming to senior level. It was as if she improved over the summer. From the awkward untidy girl grew up more elegant version.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Angela Nikodinov yet. Sure her results weren't that much better in 2001 then 2000 but her skating and overall appearance took a huge leap forward from 2000 when she looked like a throwback to 1980's fashion with the hair and costumes and she suddenly became elegant.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
nam has improved a lot last year but of course, perhaps we are all waiting for him to climb the last step? i think with him, what's amazing is that every year he seems to step it up higher and higher...

I would definitely have to go with Michelle Kwan. She went from being a little girl to a siren and a grown up woman in one year.

Honestly, for me the bigger change was from 1996 to 1997. I thought that in 1996 she was basically the same skater with more make-up and no pony-tail. In 1997 I thought she really felt the music more.

There must be a lot of little girls that grew up to big girls in a year. Here is Naomi Nari Nam in 1998:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab4O0Q6o7uY

1999:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S7EEHAM6nU

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
How about within the same year?

Adam's performance at Skate Canada last season.:slink:
No way did I see him making the team & finishing eighth in the World.

Very, very impressed with Misha all last season.

I never saw Rudy Galindo skate singles before the season he won Nationals, but I suspect it was a pretty dramatic turnaround for him to go from not making the team to gold at Nationals and bronze at Worlds.

Of course, if we want to do transformations heading downhill, those might be a bit more prevalent. And depressing.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Angela Nikodinov yet. Sure her results weren't that much better in 2001 then 2000 but her skating and overall appearance took a huge leap forward from 2000 when she looked like a throwback to 1980's fashion with the hair and costumes and she suddenly became elegant.

:points: I completely forgot about Angela and you're right. Huge improvement. I loved her SP that year.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just want to say I was not trying to diminish Misha accomplishments or hard work this year, he clearly is a hard worker. I just think that his skating last year was better than his placements indicated. I don't know how much his progress has been logically linear and how much as been leaps and bounds. I guess i was just looking for transformations where the before was a bit worse. :slink:

Well, I guess I don't know so much either, because I thought exactly the same as you. I :love: Misha at the 2014 Olys: the program, the choreo, the purple hair. Since I didn't "come back" to skating until 2014 US Nats, I did not see Misha skating that season.

But the Misha of 2015 seemed so much the same, in style and performance, that I didn't understand the giant leap in scores. Now, since I didn't see Misha in 2014 except for the Olys, he could have been doubling all his jumps, or falling, or not finishing .... whatever. But the esprit de Misha was there in 2014, which I remember because it reminded so much of the esprit de Jason. And I was glad to see it rewarded in 2015.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sergei Voronov made a pretty big transformation when he went to Eteri in the 2013-14 season. His results have been pretty solid ever since and he has become far more consistent. Not sure if it's the biggest transformation as the title suggests but I think there was a noticeable difference in him and even his likability amongst fans.

Last edited:

Imagine

Medalist
Shizuka 2001-2002 vs 2002-2003. Of corse, things only escalated from there...

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Sergei Voronov made a pretty big transformation when he went to Eteri in the 2013-14 season. His results have been pretty solid ever since and he has become far more consistent. Not sure if it's the biggest transformation as the title suggests but I think there was a noticeable difference in him and even his likability amongst fans.

I did think about mentioning him, but he actually had some significant success before Eteri, unlike Misha. Sergei just had a lot of bad luck and injuries over the years, and that unfortunate stint with Morozov after he left Urmanov. Eteri definitely brought out the best in him, but I don't know if it was quite as much of a dramatic "overnight success" story as Misha's.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I did think about mentioning him, but he actually had some significant success before Eteri, unlike Misha. Sergei just had a lot of bad luck and injuries over the years, and that unfortunate stint with Morozov after he left Urmanov. Eteri definitely brought out the best in him, but I don't know if it was quite as much of a dramatic "overnight success" story as Misha's.

Yeah..it's probably not the biggest transformation but look at his career placements. Starting in 2013-14 he really became more consistent and made GPF for the first time and not only medaled there he placed twice on the Euros podium.

Oh well...just thought it worthy of mentioning him.

rugbyfan

On the Ice
Browning 86-87 when he was a virtual non-entity and 87-88 when he landed the first quad and started his move towards becoming world champion?

lyverbird1

Final Flight
Of course, if we want to do transformations heading downhill, those might be a bit more prevalent. And depressing.

I don't know if there's any rules against that kind of discussion but I'd like to hear more about those transformations. And no, not for reasons of schadenfreude or to gloat at anyone's misfortune but to maybe discuss the reasons that some skaters seem to decline, be it coaching or federation difficulties, declining physical condition, injuries or maybe not wanting to acknowledge that the peak of their level is no longer enough to keep up with growing standards. I understand why some may be reluctant to take part in such a discussion but if it was kept away from the territory of gloating or nastiness, I think it could be a worthwhile discussion...

ioanna

Record Breaker
The biggest transformation within a few months: Shoma Uno

2014 Jr World Championships - March: scored a total of 206.50 points, couldn't land triple axels, had no quads and flutzed all the time. Placed 5th.
2014 Jr Grand Prix Final - December: scored a total of 238.27 points, landed 2 triple axels and a quad in the FS and his 3Lz had a clear outside edge. Won the gold medal and became the Jr World Champion 3 months later.

Shoma has always been a consistent skater, has always had great skating skills and spins but his jump technique has never been the best. It still isn't; he's still prone to flutzing and can still get some more height on his jumps. But he learned the quad and the triple axel within just a few months, worked to fix his lutz and won almost every junior competition last season.

Last edited:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Misha Ge, Papadakis/ Cizeron, Liza Tuk!! They have undergone great transformations within one year.

Voronov had two succesful seasons but not so dramatic transformation as gallavich wrote.
Javier at 2012/13 season
Tatsuki Machida after he started to work with Lambiel

and just for fun! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0BtVPavDR0 :laugh:

anyanka

Record Breaker
That was my first thought as well, but then is started actually thinking about it. Did he really transform as a skater that much, or did the community finally start respecting him?

I would say it is his growth. There's more subtlety and difficulty and pure presentation. His Cherbourg FS was magnificent and he transformed into a showman. That orange hair he had during Sochi was fun but he hadn't truly grown artistically then, not yet. I'm looking forward to his programs this year.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker

She was the first one who came to my mind when I read the threat title.

She went from Dick Button calling her a refrigerator break at 2000 Nationals:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXKJLvxt5nI

To everyone gushing about her at 2001 Nationals:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGsMDXLyXxs

pohatta

On the Ice
Stefan Lindemann in 2004, getting bronze at Worlds when his previous best was 13th. I wish he could have kept that standard a little longer.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
She was the first one who came to my mind when I read the threat title.

She went from Dick Button calling her a refrigerator break at 2000 Nationals:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXKJLvxt5nI

To everyone gushing about her at 2001 Nationals:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGsMDXLyXxs

Her transformation was overrated. She was already a strong, relatively attractive skater and should have placed 2nd at Nationals all the way back in 1997. Her 2000 LP was not good (mainly the last third of it, up until that point it was fine) but it wasn't entirely representative of all her skating up until that point in time. 80% of the extra praise she got in 2001 was because she was working with a ballet legend, skated to more classical music, and dressed more elegantly. Her extension improved slightly and her overall expression improved somewhat, but it wasn't some kind of masterful level and everything else was as it had already been. It does show much details matter, though, and how a couple little changes can push a solid skater forward into being considered a contender for a world medal.