'The Evolution of Compulsory Dances' (article) | Golden Skate

'The Evolution of Compulsory Dances' (article)

Weathergal

Medalist
Just saw an interesting essay on the role of compulsories/patterns in ice dance today. It's a timely publication now that next season's ice dance theme/rules have been released. :)

Interesting article - thank you for sharing it! I noticed the author's name is Morgan Matthews Pennington, and I thought, "Oh I remember her! She was a US ice dancer who skated with Matthew Zavosin." Of course it's Maxim Zavosin. LOL I shouldn't have mocked those Prevagen ads. LOL

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Interesting article - thank you for sharing it! I noticed the author's name is Morgan Matthews Pennington, and I thought, "Oh I remember her! She was a US ice dancer who skated with Matthew Zavosin." Of course it's Maxim Zavosin. LOL I shouldn't have mocked those Prevagen ads. LOL
Yes, Morgan! She was a very good ice dancer. Famously, she had tried to get a release to partner with a Canadian skater, I believe. The U.S. fed refused to release her, and her career ended. I think her case and others led to changes in the release rules.

Since her last name is 'Pennington,' I'm wondering whether she is married to Parker Pennington, a former U.S. men's skater who has been affiliated with Lakewood, Ohio's Winterhurst rink where he was trained by his former coach, Carol Heiss Jenkins. Parker founded the annual Skate Dance Dream benefit skating show.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Yes, Morgan! She was a very good ice dancer. Famously, she had tried to get a release to partner with a Canadian skater, I believe. The U.S. fed refused to release her, and her career ended. I think her case and others led to changes in the release rules.

Since her last name is 'Pennington,' I'm wondering whether she is married to Parker Pennington, a former U.S. men's skater who has been affiliated with Lakewood, Ohio's Winterhurst rink where he was trained by his former coach, Carol Heiss Jenkins. Parker founded the annual Skate Dance Dream benefit skating show.
no idea but she did start a partnership with Elliot Pennington before retiring due to injury...

Weathergal

Medalist

I had thought of Parker as well and did some searching, and there didn't appear to be any connection there. Additionally, as you mentioned, he's based in the Cleveland, OH area - at least he was - and I think she might be based in Boston, MA, but I don't know for sure.

no idea but she did start a partnership with Elliot Pennington before retiring due to injury...

Perhaps he's the Pennington she's married to?

Either way, it was fun to take a stroll down memory lane. Getting back to the article, I really appreciated her succinct "history of the CD/SD/OD/RD." On a lighter note, I never thought about the logistics of carrying so many costumes like the dancers had to do when there were more programs, especially when they didn't know which compulsory rhythm would be used until shortly before the event!