Third spot Japanese men on Olympic team. | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Third spot Japanese men on Olympic team.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Obviously it will be a battle royale between Yuzuru and Shom for the first two spot. I will go with Mura for the third. But who knows.

That doesn't make any sense. A Battle Royale between Yuzuru and Shoma? Battle Royale means there is only one winner. And Yuzuru as World Champion, and Shoma as Silver Medalist, did their best to get the three spots for Japan. They don't have to fight for their own spot, and definitely not against each other. Or what did you mean?

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
How about Kazuki Tomono? I think he could be a dark horse for the team. He's all around solid, and he's got the 4S. Unless, of course, he's staying junior. I'm unsure of that.

Kazuki is definitely moving up to Seniors next season. And I agree with you that he could be a dark horse.

Does anyone have any updates on Daisuke Murakami's injury or if he's back training? I miss him.

Last I've heard, Dice was training again. On March 19, he posted a video clip on his blog of him landing a 4T. If I'm not mistaken, the only quad he's jumped in competition was the 4S (I remember he was messing with the 4F in practice). This could mean an additional jump for him to work into his programs and possibly higher BV.
http://www.diceskates.com/?p=661

ioanna

Record Breaker
If you think about it, both Oda and Machida could have been strong contenders for that 3rd spot. If Machida had continued his career until next season like he once intended to, he would have made it to his 2nd Olympics without the bloodbath he had to survive and overcome in 2013.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
That doesn't make any sense. A Battle Royale between Yuzuru and Shoma? Battle Royale means there is only one winner. And Yuzuru as World Champion, and Shoma as Silver Medalist, did their best to get the three spots for Japan. They don't have to fight for their own spot, and definitely not against each other. Or what did you mean?

I think they just meant it would be a battle between the two, especially since they just traded victories at Worlds and WTT so it's hard to say for certain which of them will prevail next season. Now that Uno's PCS has pretty much caught up to Hanyu's and he has three different quads, it will be close to call.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
If you think about it, both Oda and Machida could have been strong contenders for that 3rd spot. If Machida had continued his career until next season like he once intended to, he would have made it to his 2nd Olympics without the bloodbath he had to survive and overcome in 2013.

It's a real shame Machida didn't continue. He arguably should have won the 2014 World title and that could have maybe motivated him to continue this quadrennial - although his education is way more important and I'm glad he was able to give us the skates he gave us. Oda had that amazing comeback (last season was it?) and if not for Zayaking he'd have a World medal himself. On the other hand them leaving has allowed Mura to continue having opportunities and pave the way for Murakami and especially Uno to emerge, so it's not an entirely bad thing that they retired.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
It will depend on how the contenders perform during the season for the "3rd spot". My preference would be Mura. I have a feeling
that this will be his last season and his struggles with injuries kept him from Worlds this past season. I would like to see him
on the Olympic Team.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
It will depend on how the contenders perform during the season for the "3rd spot". My preference would be Mura. I have a feeling
that this will be his last season and his struggles with injuries kept him from Worlds this past season. I would like to see him
on the Olympic Team.

Me too. He's had some ups and downs but he's had a solid career (two GP wins, a 4CC win), and he's always a hard worker. My only issue is that his tech content hasn't significantly changed, and I'd love to see him challenge himself (at least another type of quad... quad axel maybe? :biggrin:).

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Mura landed 4T-4T in practice, but his biggest issues are inconsistency and chronic injuries stemmed from over-training. Therefore, I don't wish he goes for another type of quads. I think this is his last chance for Olympics considering his age. As long as he stays consistent and healthy as well as performs two GOOD programs in GOOD costumes, I'm sure he can safely land on the Olympic Team. He has good SS and decent presentation skills but never received PCS scores that he deserved because of inconsistency. He may try new quads AFTER the Olympics for fun.

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

perhaps we will see a comeback soon... i would not be surprised.

As for who I think will get the third spot. I think it will be a young skater... something like either Sota or a first year senior who has a break out season.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I'm daddy Mura supporeter too :biggrin: But I'll be fine with whomever get that 3rd spot, as long as it's done fairly.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
I'm daddy Mura supporeter too :biggrin: But I'll be fine with whomever get that 3rd spot, as long as it's done fairly.

For you Japanese speakers, an article about Mura and his team (with video). I didn't realise he has two kids (a girl and a boy). He's a normal family man, giving the kids a bath before bed and helps with the housework and cooking. Charlie White is his choreographer again. His daughter is four and is always cheering him on. Awww....:luv17:

http://digital.asahi.com/articles/ASK7335NCK73UTQP00F.html?rm=330

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

a battle for the gold, for the national title. To be top man in Japan (and lady) is a huge accomplishment.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
SP
1T、A、1T (or 1S)

Does this mean he won't be able to go to the Nationals? :sad46:

Don't think so. For Chubu Regional, Sr. men's division has a quota of 7 entries to advance to Western Sectional. Right now there are only 4 competitors for Sr. men's at Chubu regional, which means that Sota will be able to advance to Western Sectional anyway, as long as he finishes the whole competition. The only thing to worry about is that, given that the Western Sectional is just 1 month away, will he be able to recover by that time to make it through the competition, and eventually getting a ticket to Nationals? It was also reported from twitter that the audience and competitors at Chubu regional yesterday were all cheer for Sota when he finished skating.

NB: For Sr. men's at Western sectional, skaters placing top 11 will be able to advance to National eventually.

yude

Record Breaker
Don't think so. For Chubu Regional, Sr. men's division has a quota of 7 entries to advance to Western Sectional. Right now there are only 4 competitors for Sr. men's at Chubu regional, which means that Sota will be able to advance to Western Sectional anyway, as long as he finishes the whole competition. The only thing to worry about is that, given that the Western Sectional is just 1 month away, will he be able to recover by that time to make it through the competition, and eventually getting a ticket to Nationals? It was also reported from twitter that the audience and competitors at Chubu regional yesterday were all cheer for Sota when he finished skating.

NB: For Sr. men's at Western sectional, skaters placing top 11 will be able to advance to National eventually.

Thank you so much for your all information!! :bow: Now I'm glad to know that he has a chance to get to the Nationals, I hope he finishs in top 11 in Western sectional :pray:

ranran

Zamboni time
On the Ice

I hold my breath when I read Yude post and relief when reading yours. I wonder if its injury or mental issues related to growth but he seems to be struggling of late. I hope he pulled through this hard time!

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
I'm just happy that Sota is back on the ice and competing again. I'd rather he get out there and execute only single jumps than not skate at all. Hoping the cheers and support from the audience will encourage him to keep fighting.

The single jumps in his SP seemed intentional. We'll see what he can do in the FS happening in about 3 hours.