Third spot Japanese men on Olympic team. | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Third spot Japanese men on Olympic team.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
The single jumps in his SP seemed intentional. We'll see what he can do in the FS happening in about 3 hours.

This is the impression I had as well. His injury was obviously major and if they saw there was no need to risk it, he may have singled it all on purpose. Fingers crossed he does just enough in the FS so that he keeps that door open.

I think Olympics are a out of his reach, but as a goal, placing well at J Nats would be excellent to strive for and give him something to push him on mentally. In any case, I think he's a wonderful skater so please take care of yourself and come back strong! He's young enough that 2022 is his time anyway.

yude

Record Breaker
It seems Sota singled the jumps on purpose in LP, too, according to the fan's reports. And I read on twitter he had three surgeries in total (sorry, don't know the official source). I hope he takes step by step to get the sense of competition back (I'm sure that is what he is doing) and stays healthy to aim for the Olympics in 2022.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
2015 JWC bronze medalist, Yamamoto Sota, who’d been on a two-season hiatus due to a right ankle fracture, has made his return to the ice. Jumping only singles for a combined score of 109.06, [Yamamoto] was showered with huge applause both during the SP on the day before yesterday and the free skate. “Although I think it’s 99.9% impossible, I wasn’t able to give up on the Pyeongchang Olympics.” Although he'd decided to participate the day before the event, he’d only just resumed training jumps a few days ago, the affected area where he’d suffered a third fracture last October still not fully healed. Although he obtains the right to enter in the west Japan regionals in November, it’s undecided whether he will enter.
https://twitter.com/yuzuporuko/status/914595732727853056
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x62xc9q

Yamamoto was JGPF silver medalist 3 years ago, finishing first-and-second alongside Shoma Uno. It had been a smooth-sailing figure skating career––having mastered quads early on, he was a viable contender for a spot on the Pyeongchang Olympic team. [Clip from before injury:] “…I would like to work hard and aim for gold on the Olympic stage.” Yet, about to turn senior, he fractured his right ankle during practice in March 2016. In his second year of rehabilitation, yet more trials came down on him––his right ankle fractured for a second time. It was frustrating day after day––he wasn’t even able to skate, all the while his rivals were rushing toward the top of the world. Over a year went past without his having achieved full recovery. The Pyeongchang Olympics is but 4 months away.

“If it were myself before the injury, I would absolutely have wanted to take part, and I think it would have been, to me, something that I must attend. But having (injured myself) arrived at this point, I’m by no means resigned… although by this stage, it’s normal to give up.”

An Olympic dream that, despite being fully aware of the near-zero possibilities, he is unable to give up on. Yamamoto resolved to participate in the Chubu regionals, a first-round qualifier for the Pyeongchang Olympics. [Footage of the free skate] Greeted with loud cheers at the rink after 1.5 years’ absence. Because he still isn’t fully recovered, he jumped singles. Even so, as he savors the joy of skating in a competition, step by step… Friends and comrades who’ve seen him through the painful rehabilitation, too, cheered and yelled for him.

“Having received the warm cheers and support from the audience, I was able to skate enjoying myself.”

What he’s able to do at the moment, he completed with all his might.

Returning to the ice after a year and a half, setting into motion once more. As long as there is a chance to participate in the Olympics, Yamamoto advances forward. (Caption: gains entry rights to the west Japan regionals, a second-round qualifier for the Olympic team)

“I think it's still the period/time where I must persevere, so I want to work hard in such a way that answers/meets the support of fans and everyone."
thanks to gladi once again

yude

Record Breaker
After watching Japan Open, I thought Oda was able to get the third spot on Olympic team :laugh: I can even say this is the biggest chance for the Olympics in his skating career.

I know he said he would not be in the competition anymore, but I just wanted to say this :biggrin:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Japanese Men seem to be in a bit of a lull in terms of depth. Five years ago they had Takahashi, Oda, Kozuka and a young Hanyu coming up with along with Machida and Mura but now beyond Hanyu and Uno they have little in terms of top men.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
After watching Japan Open, I thought Oda was able to get the third spot on Olympic team :laugh: I can even say this is the biggest chance for the Olympics in his skating career.

I know he said he would not be in the competition anymore, but I just wanted to say this :biggrin:

I always liked Nobu and his great quads, but I'd rather see someone who actually competed the last 4 years and brought medals for Japan, like Mura. He hasn't been to the Olympics and I think he deserves it most. It also seems to me that Nobu doesn't want to return, like you said. I'm rooting for Mura.

Japanese Men seem to be in a bit of a lull in terms of depth. Five years ago they had Takahashi, Oda, Kozuka and a young Hanyu coming up with along with Machida and Mura but now beyond Hanyu and Uno they have little in terms of top men.

It's a bit worrying, that huge gap. But then, Yuzuru and Shoma are so young, Yuzuru has another quad in him and Shoma perhaps even two. That's 8 years - who knows there might be a future Olympic Champ in the making who we just didn't get to see yet. And if not, well this is a sport that comes in waves. Other than Honda the japanese men weren't historically the strongest anyway, that 'dominance' was a pretty recent thing of the last decade. Might be there is a draught coming, who knows. But I also believe that Yuzuru's popularity helps young mothers bringing their boys to the rink. And the more boys there are, the better the chances.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker

It happens. There are ups and downs for every discipline. At the moment the Japanese ladies are full of talent and they can carry the sport easily until another male or few can help carry the burden. Who knows, another 11 or 12 yo may be lurking as we speak, ready to say here I am. But IMO right now it's not really worrying, it's just life; now if we are in the same situation come 2022 then that'd be a problem but for that we have to wait and see.

yude

Record Breaker
Since GP events (except for GPF) were ended, I bring this thread back!

I think Mura, Tanaka, and possibly Tomono aim for the third spot. Considering of the placements and the scores this season so far, the result of Japanese nationals is going to be highly valued IMO.

According to this article (https://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/201711260000171.html), the scores they had in GP series are

Tanaka 247.17 (CoC)
Tomono 231.93 (NHK)
Mura 212.77 (SA)

Word standings (http://www.isuresults.com/ws/ws/wsmen.htm)

Tanaka (16)
Mura (28)
Tomono (52)

Tanaka looks strong here but anything can happen in the nationals (there is also Murakami). What do you think?

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
What do you think?

Keiji was coming back from injury, and still not fully fit, and he gave us a fantastic SP, plus a good FS, so considering all of it, that is still by miles ahead of the others. It will depend on how they perform at Nats but right now, Keiji looks like he has the best shot.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Daddy Mura needs to be 100% clean to win that spot over a clean Keiji. And we haven't seen a clean Mura since a while.

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
Since it's likely the last chance for both, I'm still hoping for Mura and Dice to impress at Nationals resulting in one of them earning that 3rd spot.
Of course, if that doesn't happen, I'll be more than happy to see Keiji get it and deservedly so.

I know Kazuki is also working hard, aiming for a chance to compete at the Olympics, and as his fan I support his dream. However, even if he were to unexpectedly podium at Nationals, I feel it would probably benefit him more to be assigned to 4CC where he could potentially place higher, raising his world ranking and standing.
Kazuki often has trouble with his SP, and if he was to compete in the upcoming Olympic games, there's a real possibility of him not advancing to the FS.
He's young and I believe he'll continue to improve and have another chance in 2022 as a much stronger skater.
For now, I'd be happy enough to see him assigned a GP (or two) next season.

Praying for a better, cleaner Men's event at Japan Nationals than what we've seen the last couple of years~:drama:...:pray:

GF2445

Record Breaker
I worry about depth in their men's skating outside the top 2.
This national championship is going to be very important.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Honestly, with the way Nobu landed those 4T3T combos at FaOI and JO, he could return to competition and make the Team...

Globetrotter

Medalist
I miss Nobunari Oda. This thread has made me all sentimental.

Actually, the one I miss most is Tatsuki Machida who was always playing second fiddle behind first, Daisuke Takahashi and the eclipsed by Yuzu after Dai retired. Among the Jpn men then, Tatsuki had IMO the strongest basic SS, smoothest bladework and solid technique.