This and That: NHK Trophy | Page 10 | Golden Skate

This and That: NHK Trophy

qwertyskates

Medalist
Late to party, but while we're on the subject of throwing shade, can we make it a point not to criticize skaters' looks?

I really hate those Satoko's face is so old and Patrick has weird eyes posts...:rolleye:

... 'Jenny is weary of message boards from her competitive days, but I may be able to get her to post on here if we are having fun'? Yeah, well, I think somehow she won't be popping in... ::rolleye:

Jennifer was the second prettiest girl in skating. If she will pop in I will tell her who the first prettiest is.

(OK, I'll tell it anyway -- Jenifer's sister, whom I had the pleasure of meeting when she was chaperoning Jennifer at 2002 Skate America. :)

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
uh uhmm... so does anyone actually want to talk about NHK? :bed:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
uh uhmm... so does anyone actually want to talk about NHK? :bed:

There was an event thread for that in the edge and there was lots of discussion. Am I wrong to assume we are supposed to comment on TSL's take of the event in this thread. Or are we to repost and recycle our earlier thoughts. :confused2:

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
:laugh2::laugh2: I needed that laugh. That is not how it worked back then. Jenny could have landed a quad and they likely will would have found a way to put Michelle and possibly Sasha over her. People still get still get their panties in a wad for Tara beating Michelle, and Tara was reigning world champion and a former US National champ. The backlash to Jenny beating Michelle would have been on par with... you I am not going to name other skaters and backlash... pick your favorite. In fact it was not that long ago where this forum was talking about the audience being upset at Sasha beating Jenny at Skate America one year.
It was frustrating being a fan of Jenny's especially once she moved to Callaghan and then she started falling all the time. She used to be a machine. But she was always going to be bridesmaid when Kwan and Cohen, and even Hughes skated. Though she was the most beautiful in the competitions (well, I also thought APMcD was stunning) her Scotvold Kerriganish choreo and skating just weren't enough. I'm tired of these comments about the motivations or lack of class accusations whenever J and D say something not congratulatory or blowing smoke up the wazoo. Stop complaining and just don't watch. It's like every post Dave posts here it turns into a "I don't approve of this comment" followed by a jab at their characters. Some of us "get" their comments and enjoy watching them and understand where they are coming from.

Eclair

Medalist
:laugh2::laugh2: I needed that laugh. That is not how it worked back then. Jenny could have landed a quad and they likely will would have found a way to put Michelle and possibly Sasha over her. People still get still get their panties in a wad for Tara beating Michelle, and Tara was reigning world champion and a former US National champ. The backlash to Jenny beating Michelle would have been on par with... you I am not going to name other skaters and backlash... pick your favorite. In fact it was not that long ago where this forum was talking about the audience being upset at Sasha beating Jenny at Skate America one year.

I never said Jenny beating Michelle was possible :laugh: Just said she could have done better than 17th or 18th with a clean skate ;)

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To get back on topic....

Does Ashley need to be the underdog?

How will Ashley and Gracie rank at the final?

Can Hanyu replicate that performance again this season?

Should Duhamel and Radford ditch the quad lutz?

Can the Shibutanis upset Chock and Bates at the Final?

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I don't know why but I'm trying to quote someone and two other quotes are showing up instead. Let me try again.

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I'm tired of these comments about the motivations or lack of class accusations whenever J and D say something not congratulatory or blowing smoke up the wazoo. Stop complaining and just don't watch. It's like every post Dave posts here it turns into a "I don't approve of this comment" followed by a jab at their characters. Some of us "get" their comments and enjoy watching them and understand where they are coming from.

Like I tried to say before, there really needs to be a BRAVO icon for comments like this.

Yeah we get it. Some people like snark and some people want unicorns and rainbows. All the time. And if they don't get 'em they'll surely let you know about it.

ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Skatingcat

Final Flight
I still think the Shibs' free skate was one of the highlights of the NHK competition. For whatever reason, I was underwhelmed by the women's event.

And obviously, Hanyu. Wow.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
There was an event thread for that in the edge and there was lots of discussion. Am I wrong to assume we are supposed to comment on TSL's take of the event in this thread. Or are we to repost and recycle our earlier thoughts. :confused2:

I am just annoyed how hypocritical some of the discussion went. Jenny doesn't deserve that, just as Anna doesn't deserve what is 'perceived' as cruelty laughing matter (which I don't think was the intention). I may just be one of the odd ones who thought it was absolutely amazing Anna never give up and attack each of her jumps as fearlessly as her very first big combo - thus fall as hard. That is one tough cookie that deserve my absolute respect for her bravery, courage, sportsmanship even pure foolheartedness. It is a quality I admire in many of my fav skaters. She can easily give up or takes things a bit easier and no one can blame her, but she never did, and that is awesome!

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
In terms of U.S. politics, "PC," whatever it's original intent, has become a rallying cry for demagogues who profit from stirring up hatred toward various dispossessed and marginalized segments of the population. Politicians brag that they are "not PC" because they despise Hispanics, LGBT, Muslims, disabled people, Black protesters, you name it. If you call them on it, they say, "I'm not PC. I tell it like it is. You voters hate these groups, too, but you are afraid to say so."

To me, the issue that the term raises is one of social maturity. Some people never learn the social skill of imagining themselves in the situation of someone else. They are incapable of understanding the Golden Rule. People on the autism spectrum have a severe form of this malady.

(That's what I think, anyway.)

Never mind. I'm too angry right now to comment rationally. Nothing personal.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Late to party, but while we're on the subject of throwing shade, can we make it a point not to criticize skaters' looks?

I really hate those Satoko's face is so old and Patrick has weird eyes posts...:rolleye:

Here's my problem with the negativity. As one of Patrick's biggest fans, I definitely remember seeing him and thinking, "He has weird eyes" and I thought maybe he had a glass eye. So, I asked someone if Patrick had a glass eye and I don't remember the exact answer but, I think one of his eyes doesn't move up. Or something like that.

The thing is, Commentator's should now the answer before they mention it on air. In fact, maybe they could do a short story on how Patrick was able to overcome his problem and become World Champion. They're professionals and there are ways to get your point across without having to get personal about a skater. Especially when you're trying to build an audience for the sport.

Last edited:

qwertyskates

Medalist
Here's my problem with the negativity. As one of Patrick's biggest fans, I definitely remember seeing him and thinking, "He has weird eyes" and I thought maybe he had a glass eye. So, I asked someone if Patrick had a glass eye and I don't remember the exact answer but, I think one of his eyes doesn't move up. Or something like that.

The thing is, Commentator's should now the answer before they mention it on air. In fact, maybe they could do a short story on how Patrick was able to overcome his problem and become World Champion. They're professionals and there are ways to get your point across without having to get personal about a skater. Especially when you're trying to build an audience for the sport.

I didn't follow closely, but I think Patrick had an accident when he was very young, and the eyes stayed this way. I think his eyes are cute.:luv17:

Their skating flaws are of course fair game, I'm critical of Satoko's jumps myself, but I love how she isn't the cookie cutter type of beauty, it makes her more alluring and memorable. Unique and flawed features can become a mark of one's personae, they should build on them, I say.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I didn't follow closely, but I think Patrick had an accident when he was very young, and the eyes stayed this way. I think his eyes are cute.:luv17:

Their skating flaws are of course fair game, I'm critical of Satoko's jumps myself, but I love how she isn't the cookie cutter type of beauty, it makes her more alluring and memorable. Unique and flawed features can become a mark of one's personae, they should build on them, I say.

I agree 100%. All my favorites have had flaws and I can't think of any of them who were universally popular. Except maybe Joshua Farris. He seems to be quite popular and was humble and very sweet when I met him.

You know who else didn't have flaws at least in the looks department. Jamie Sale' and David Pelletier. Seriously they are both good looking. I know they're not together anymore but, don't they have a child together?

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
Yes David and Jamie had a little boy- I think his name is Jesse but not sure. Jamie is remarried and has had 1 or 2 children with her new husband. I loved David and Jamie as a couple and as a pairs team. The chemistry between them was incredible. A lot of pairs teams could profit by watching their programs.

slider11

Medalist
Now, we're talking-NHK! Yes, Hanyu was magnificent! That skate was a show-stopper! I, too, was not overly enamored with the ladies skate. The Shibs, for me, were the other bright light of the competition. They have a great package this year. The Copelia SD is mature and quirky. The Fix Me FD is really modern and cool incorporating all the strong elements of good dance. They took a real leap by not emulating Papdakis and Cizeron's classic and soft style from last year. The Shibs went their own direction and Peter T. delivered a winner! Can't wait to see how they fare with the others next week in the GPF.
I still think the Shibs' free skate was one of the highlights of the NHK competition. For whatever reason, I was underwhelmed by the women's event.

And obviously, Hanyu. Wow.