Top 10 Iconic Ladies dresses of all time | Golden Skate

Top 10 Iconic Ladies dresses of all time

skateluvr

Record Breaker
What dress when you see the skater in it makes you think this is what she will forever wear in your heart?

Number1. For me is the perfection of the Vera Wang Lp dress Nancy wore in 94. The best and very timeless. She could wear it today.

Number 2. The blue velour Lp dress Mk wore for her 98 Lyra LP. It was vintage Michelle at her peak. Loved the simplicity.

Other costumes just glued in your head?

noskates

Record Breaker
I have to agree with skateluvr about those 2 dresses. But the one that always gives me a lump in the throat is the gold dress Michelle wore for her Olympics exhition and skated to Fields of Gold with tears streaming down her face.

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
Amongst all of the great dresses she wore, Yuna Kim's Nessun Dorma dress is the most magnificent masterpiece I have ever laid my eyes on.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
ITA about Nancy ann Michelle, they were gorgerous

Katarina Witt's Carmen dress comes to mind for me, as well. It's a bit OTT for me but considering it's Witt's Carmen, the dress is also iconic.
Sasha Cohen's Romeo and Juliet dress :yes:
And Yulia's red coat was iconic for the 2014 Olympics, too.

Though, personally when I think of figure skating dresses this is the first that I picture. Always. It wasn't iconic for figure skating history, perhaps not even for her career, but it's a personal favorite or mine :biggrin:

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Surya Bonaly always had some very elaborated dresses. Probably one of the best dressed ladies of all times if you like that style.

Imagine

Medalist
Yulia's Red Coat
Sasha's Romeo and Juliet dress (the red one, not the gold) & Swan Lake dress (2004 Worlds)
Shizuka's 2006 Turandot dress
Yuna's Danse Macabre & Bond dresses
Mao's 2010 and 2014 Olympic dresses (free programs)

Spiral

Final Flight
Every season I see many fs costumes I love, but the ones that stay in my memory are usually those that express the character (in non-abstract music) so perfectly, that for me it becomes the iconic costume for that piece of music.

For instance, I simply love the vast majority of Mao Asada’s costumes, I think, but the one to Mary Poppins is the one I’ll probably always be comparing to other skaters’ if anybody else chooses to impersonate Mary Poppins on ice.

I can say the same for Yulia Lipnitskaya’s costumes for Schindler’s List, Megapolis, Elvis Presley medley (the first, colorful dress) and Leningrad. They are all beautiful costumes, in different ways, but all perfect for their music. (I know that some fs fans think the colorful Elvis Presley dress didn’t represent the epoch faithfully, but Presley also sometimes wore quite colorful costumes, albeit not always in as good a taste as Yulia’s IMO. As to fabric and treatment, skaters have to use fabrics suitable for the job. All that’s needed is the right overall effect.)

I also find Guignard/Fabbri’s Schindler’s List costumes to be in that category. They are not beautiful, but their stark simplicity is ideal for this piece.

I don’t know how many Firebird costumes I’ve seen in my life, but once I saw Anna Pogorilaya I knew I’ve just seen the one I’ll remember, compare all the subsequent to and, baring another miracle, find wanting.

The same goes for Ilinykh/Zhiganshin’s Carmen costumes (with the red jacket for Ruslan). In the opera and the ballet, Carmen was a factory worker and then a smuggler in hiding. She definitely didn’t dress like an Infanta. And yet she was extremely attractive. I think Elena’s dress captures both. It looks fairly simple, but at the same time very feminine and attractive, especially in motion. And while toreadors today do dress in a way that makes Christmas tress look bare and somber, back when the story takes place this wasn’t the case. Just look at Goya’s picture of a toreador, dressed in a white shirt and a black suit. Ruslan apparently went the middle route: his costume doesn’t look somber, but nor does he look like his ancestors had a key role in plundering Spanish possessions in Latin America, and he’s in the habit of wearing all his inheritance on his bullfighting outfit. Personally, I think of IZ’s Frida and Queen medley costumes as iconic as well.

Astakhova/Rogonov Volland and Margarita costumes were also perfectly fitting and creative IMO. I think Kurt Browning had the best Les Mis costume. Johnny Weir’s Swan costume was also iconic IMO. Ditto Grishuk/Platov Memorial costumes (I like the blue ones a bit better than the black, but the latter are also very good). Personally I also loved their rock-n-roll outfits, so simple, yet so fitting! From my point of view, Anissina/Peisarat had the best R&J costumes. I loved and can easily recall Yagudin’s to the Lawrence of Arabia and the Iron Mask. Ditto Joubert’s to 1492. This season Wang/Liu’s costumes to Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and Hanyu’s for Seimei certainly looked interesting and memorable, although not being familiar with the source, I can’t comment on their authenticity.

lyverbird1

Final Flight
Mao's lilac Madame Butterfly dress this year was so beautiful.
I love Ksenia Stolbova's style, not many ladies could carry off grey garments.
Michelle's dress for her Salome programme was iconic for many given it marked her transition from girl into young lady and was a marker for things to come.
I don't often like white dresses given that they can get a bit lost on the ice but Maria B's was mature, simple and beautiful.

petitebrie

On the Ice
Peggy Fleming's greenish-yellow chartreuse dress for the 1968 Olympics in Grenoble is quite famous – it was chosen because the Chartreuse liqueur is made in the Grenoble region.

Costumes made by famous designers always get a lot of attention, for better or worse. Nancy's dresses at the '94 Olympics were timeless and elegant and wouldn't look out of place today. Then you have Surya Bonaly's Christian Lacroix dresses from 1992 (SP and LP), which were a lot more extravagant and got some flak for that. I'm glad they went out of the box, though. Surya was not an in-the-box skater. (Fwiw my favourite of hers must be the one from the SP in Nagano (or the futuristic jumpsuit from the exhibition in '94) – a mature and sophisticated look).

Last edited:

Tutto

Record Breaker
Caro's Ave Maria's dress was stunning, she was angelic & chic at the same time I am not sure it should be allowed:)

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
Julia's red dress is iconic (her rainbow coloured dress this season is iconic as well, but for a totally different reason)

Mao's Butterfly dress is just heavenly (her Scheherazade pants costume is absolutely gorgeous as well, i saw it in person, it was glittering)

Nancy's dress is timeless ITA

Shizuka's Turandot dress at Torino is beautiful

Miki's Cleopatra dress is imo under-appreciated. There are like several versions of it. I like the one she wore at Vancouver.

http://d1udmfvw0p7cd2.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/so20100227a4a.jpg

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
Last edited:

oriquey

Final Flight
Mao's Olympic 2014 FS costume
Akiko Suzuki's O FS Costume
Elena Ilinykh's Black Swan costume for the Olympics
Elena Ilinykh's pastel pink SD costume for 2013-2014
Yuna Kim's Kiss of the Vampire costume
Yuna Kim's James Bond costume
Anna Cappellini's Skirt for the SD 2013-2014
Shizuka Arakawa's Turandot costume
Sasha Cohen's Romeo and Juliet costume
Carolina Costner's Ave Maria costume

Tutto

Record Breaker
Oh God how could I forget Kiira Korpi? Here we are spoiled for choice - practically every costume was a masterpiece. I remember looking at her 2014-15 dresses for ages just taking in every little detail and admiring:

SP dress:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-TWoC7tNzz...BP18/eAcLcsrToHI/s1600/KiiraKorpi_Finland.jpg

LP dress (unfortunately we haven't got a chance to see it really):

http://www.mtv.fi/sport/muut-lajit/...pi-hurmasi-jaalla-sibeliuksen-tahtiin/4589466

Or how about the tango dress:

http://www.kiira-korpi.net/modules/wordpress/attach/A20801321s.jpg

Last edited:

MoonlightSkater

On the Ice
I feel like So Youn Park is perennially well dressed, but if I had to pick one favorite of hers, it would be her swan dress: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Park_So-youn_(figure_skater)#/media/File:Soyoun.JPG

I agree about Nancy's dress in 1994, and also in 1992 (minus the scrunchie): http://www.tvguide.com/news/nancy-kerrigan-tonya-harding-scandal-documentary-nbc-1078064/ https://www.pinterest.com/pin/229683649720099534/?from_navigate=true

Probably it's because I was 10 at the time, but even though I know the style is really time-bound, I always think of Kristi's 1992 SP dress when I think of skating costumes: https://www.google.com/search?q=so+...q=Kristi+Yamaguchi+1992&imgrc=HxbkGPWXfaxyNM:

MoonlightSkater

On the Ice
Incidentally, I now blame you all for the hours that will be lost due to the fact that I have discovered that you can Pinterest search "skating dress."