Wagner's world medal and her legacy | Page 30 | Golden Skate

Wagner's world medal and her legacy

Layfan

Record Breaker
She has a legacy. She has shown what skating can be when you are around long enough to develop your own style and voice. I see both her strengths and weaknesses but when she skates well she always sweeps me in and gets me into her corner. With two U.S. championships and now a world silver medal she has a place in the skating history books. We'll see what's to come!

karlowens2

On the Ice
This. So much.

The not-so-talented comment is ridiculous. Reminds me of that poster who suggested Javi is a mediocre skater.

Agin, it's mind boggling when people try to bash skater, particularly when they've just skated lights out with a personal best. I've heard of kicking people while they're down, but it seems asinine to kick them while they're up. :laugh:

I imagine these people as being someone whose great accomplishment in life is a B+ on an Algebra test. Social media has taken pot-shots to a new level.

One thing I'v learned from 2 years on GS is that everyone mentioned here are at least very talented and dedicated. Someone like Myahara I don't like but I know she is temendously driven and is overcoming her own obstacles. I have compassion for how she must feel dropping form 2 to 5. Maybe fighting feelings of being cheated.

Let's try to remember these skaters and each other are people with feelings, insecurities, mis-steps they need to forgive themselves for, etc.

karlowens2

On the Ice
That is a conspiracy theory though. There is no rule that says judges must weigh PCS based on starting order. It is an accusation that judges don't observe the merit of skaters' PCS.

I agree with Ashley's placement. But, I'm shocked that professional judges can be swayed by the crowd. Th whole last group I though overscored.

I have a business and when it comes time for raises I certainly don't care whether others will like it or not. I deliberate hard and give what is deserved.

moriel

Record Breaker
Also everybody who complains about exagerated facial expressions.
It looks weird on TV close ups, but looks way better when watched from some distance (as it happens in real life).
Some thing with theater frequently. Its just not supposed to be watched that closely.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I never understood the concept of "natural talent" when it comes to a complex sport such as figure skating. Yes, some skaters will rapidly pick up the skills and progress at a rate much quicker than others, but to me, when you say "natural talent", I equate that to being born with it, and let's face it, nobody is born knowing how to do a double axel. ;) Even if we're talking about flexibility, yes, some bodies are more limber than others, but I doubt very much that someone without coaching and training and many hours of practice could just bang out a biellman or I-spin position.

Truly great athletes take many years worth of hardcore training, blood, sweat & tears, extremely high highs and extremely low lows, and incredible perseverance to develop their talent, regardless of whether or not it comes easier to them than it does in comparison to other athletes.

:yes:

moriel

Record Breaker
I think that "Genius is one percent inspiration, ninety nine percent perspiration" applies to FS very well.
Yeah, some people are born more flexible than others, for example, but its not like you will do Lipnitskaya tricks if you were just born flexible and never did anything to develop it.

narcissa

Record Breaker
I dunno, some people are just more talented than others. Like Yuna Kim never being off her music vs. Gracie who seems to not be able to hear her music. It seems innate.

moriel

Record Breaker
I dunno, some people are just more talented than others. Like Yuna Kim never being off her music vs. Gracie who seems to not be able to hear her music. It seems innate.

There is some innate stuff, and some stuff which is hard work.
You can feel the music and never be off, or you can train hard to never be off your music even without feeling it. The result will be similar in both cases, and you cannot always tell which is innate and which is hard work.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I imagine these people as being someone whose great accomplishment in life is a B+ on an Algebra test. Social media has taken pot-shots to a new level.

One thing I'v learned from 2 years on GS is that everyone mentioned here are at least very talented and dedicated. Someone like Myahara I don't like but I know she is temendously driven and is overcoming her own obstacles. I have compassion for how she must feel dropping form 2 to 5. Maybe fighting feelings of being cheated.

Let's try to remember these skaters and each other are people with feelings, insecurities, mis-steps they need to forgive themselves for, etc.

Totally. It goes without saying all the skaters mentioned are fundamentally talented, otherwise they wouldn't be elite skaters.

I felt bad about Miyahara too. Certainly she should have been ahead of Gold, and Pogorilaya's PCS was quite generous in both segments compared to hers. But Pogo was clean in both segments and she deserved bronze in 2014, so I'm glad she was able to medal here.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I didn't want Miyahara to win - and she didn't - so I'm cool with that result.

If I had my choice of only one US lady on the podium, I would have picked Gold over Wagner* - but I'm glad the drought is over regardless.

As for Pogorilaya, I have no issue with her PCS. I thought she had a presence and performed well, better than Med (and Miyahara too), but I only got that vibe from watching her live in the arena. For some reason, it does not translate to TV.

*To clarify: Only based on wishes. Given the actual performances of both, Wagner absolutely deserved the podium spot and I have no issues with the result

Last edited:

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Pogo should've been been leading or almost leading after the SP. Gracie does not perform AT ALL.

russianbratz

Match Penalty
You asked so what components does "star power" fall under? Ashley's star power that night ELECTRIFIED the whole building and through the roof. You have any idea what that's like? I was at the Staple Center when Michelle and Evan did it. If I were a judge, I may have just pushed all 10s or 6.0 there is to push. It's rare but it's so real when you're in there. That's why I can't be a judge. Sometimes even commentators doesn't want to be on their seat. I can just imagine how tough it would be in that moment to give your score for such a small window of time. I'd be lost to what component belongs to what component. Heck, some of them even cries while judging.
If we're judging Worlds by who "electrified" the crowd the most, then Mirai Nagasu should have probably medaled. The most powerful reaction of the competition was probably a toss up between her short program and Javier Fernandez's long program.