Who are the skaters you respect most and why? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Who are the skaters you respect most and why?

TartanSk8ter01

Rinkside
^^ This whole post!

I was going to say just Yuzuru Hanyu for having to deal with asthma, but I noticed others with problems too.

BlackPack

Medalist
I respect almost all skaters. Keeping a strict diet, not having much time to experience life beyond figure skating, so many sacrifices, living in a fishbowl, wearing tight clothing, constantly watching the scales, being judged very harshly all the time, astronomical costs.... It's not an easy life.

Spiral

Final Flight
I respect almost all skaters. Keeping a strict diet, not having much time to experience life beyond figure skating, so many sacrifices, living in a fishbowl, wearing tight clothing, constantly watching the scales, being judged very harshly all the time, astronomical costs.... It's not an easy life.

Indeed! And add to that a high risk of injuries, training through pain, a chronic lack of sleep, combining rigorous and time-consuming physical training with regular schooling, ungracious behavior from rivals and their parents, subjective judging... the list goes on and on. Personally, I can't imagine just the determination it must take to learn the elements and skating skills while one is still a child. I mean, when I was a child if I fell on the playground while running or playing games with the other kids and scraped a knee, I cried like I was being operated on without anesthesia. So just the fact that figure skaters exist amazes me.

mnm464

On the Ice
I have so much respect for all elite figure skaters. Although while we're saying specific skaters

Kim YuNa-Her dedication to her country and charity. She has such a great sense of kindness despite her success, meaning her success and fame in Korea hasn't corrupted her at all. She is a saint!

Yuzuru Hanyu- for his dedication and will to his skating and other areas of his life, as well as his kindness. He stays true to his roots and remembers what is important. I think that he is very wise for his age, but who am I too judge as I'm quite young.

Meryl Davis/Charlie White-They're ability to stay humble even when a nation's attention paid to them. They are really great people and the dedication they put towards their skating is inspiring.

Carol Heiss- Living in Cleveland she has contributed to many young skaters, passing her knowledge to others.

Scott Hamilton-Also living in CLE area, has raised so much money for cancer research. He's truly made a difference in the skating and medical fields

Johnny Weir- for being confident in who he is and his technical/artistic view in his commentary.

Patrick Chan-his quality of component(edges, artistry, and performance skills). There's no other like him and his quality of skating

Joannie Rochette for skating as fantastically as she did with her loss at the 2010 Olympics

Mao Asada- and her bravery at trying the triple axels on the largest stage in the world!

So many others I could name....

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I like cadaver-boy because I know how much he loves this sport and still has a dream.

Ehm....of you don't mind my ignorance, who is cadaver boy? :confused:

Daniel Eaton. He once had an ankle injury repaired by implanting a bone from a cadaver. Didn't seem to slow him down any. :)

I think "like" must be a vast understatement ;). Cadaver boy Daniel is lucky to be the son of the very devoted Turbo-Mom :).

blargmonster

Rinkside
Yuna Kim

I feel like in many ways she was the ultimate underdog coming from a weak federation with no political clout. I recently saw a video of her explaining how before the 2008 worlds she had to practice in public rinks in Korea and deal with large crowds yelling at her to jump lol whereas her competitors had private rinks to practice in.

"looking back how hard I have disciplined myself for my dream, I just cant always be happy. But if I go back when I was seven, Id still choose figure skating. Figure skating is everything in my life."

i found this quote to be really inspirational :thumbsup:

Last edited:

ajdesasha

Spectator
I respect Sotnikova for handling with class all of the vitriol she received. I remember going on her instagram even a full year later and still seeing comments calling her a wh*re and a b*tch. I can't imagine having to deal with that, and she did it so gracefully.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Liza Tuk never was my fave until I got to know more about her and her story. I won't go and say that she is the best for me even now, but I got HUGE respect for her comeback last season..You had to see my face when she won Euros:) :cheer:Or when I got information from my mum about her short program score at Worlds 'cause I couldn't watch it or see any information on that! I was VERY nervous, to put it mildly:hopelessness:

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think "like" must be a vast understatement ;). Cadaver boy Daniel is lucky to be the son of the very devoted Turbo-Mom :).

Huh, so is Turbo-Mom really the mother of Daniel Eaton. If it helps I can give up my name to Daniel. Cad :aver boy sounds so morbid.:)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Yuna Kim

I feel like in many ways she was the ultimate underdog coming from a weak federation with no political clout. I recently saw a video of her explaining how before the 2008 worlds she had to practice in public rinks in Korea and deal with large crowds yelling at her to jump lol whereas her competitors had private rinks to practice in.

"looking back how hard I have disciplined myself for my dream, I just cant always be happy. But if I go back when I was seven, Id still choose figure skating. Figure skating is everything in my life."

i found this quote to be really inspirational :thumbsup:
Yuna is the epitome of class and grace. though Certainly by 2010 she was no underdog. She and Michelle Kwan in my opinion earned respect for being hard workers, classy and consistently great skaters with the complete package. Carolina and Mao never had the consistency.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I like cadaver-boy because I know how much he loves this sport and still has a dream.

Daniel Eaton. He once had an ankle injury repaired by implanting a bone from a cadaver. Didn't seem to slow him down any. :)

Huh, so is Turbo-Mom really the mother of Daniel Eaton. If it helps I can give up my name to Daniel. Cad :aver boy sounds so morbid.:)

Me neither... are you sure Mathman the bone wasn't taken from the donor while he was alive?

Turbo-Mom has given every indication in her previous posts on GS that she really is Daniel's mother.
And I think his mother would know the details of his medical procedure :yes:. She is the one who calls him "cadaver boy."
See also Turbo-Mom's 2013 GS post that mentions "cadaver boy" and his bone transplant:

Daniel's cadaver bone transplant is mentioned also in Aldridge/Eaton's bio that is still up on icenetwork:
Received a donor cadaver bone for his left ankle after injuring it in April 2007
http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/team/aldridge_eaton