"Your" scoring of the 2016 Worlds' Ladies | Golden Skate

"Your" scoring of the 2016 Worlds' Ladies

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
There is a large problem of overscoring in ice skating right now. GOE's and PCS are being handed out like candy instead of realistically assessing the quality of what the competitors are doing. This hurts the sport because it moves competitors away from trying as much to do an amazing "WOW" move when they know a +2 or even a +3 GOE can already be obtained fairly easily, same for the artistry of programs and the PCS they will receive. Scoring inflation also creates skewed competition results, with these numbers randomly fluctuating to easily inflate any given competitor for whatever reason.

I will score the top 12 competitors at the 2016 World Championship Ladies event, with detailed breakdown. Feel free to add your own detailed scoresheets as well. I'm starting with the Long Programs in this post since that will probably interest people most. My second post will include Short Program scores and Overall Scores/Placement.

The detailed breakdown here lists the name of an element, the GOE grade, the total score for that element (including a fall deduction where applicable), and then commentary of the element.

Also, this thread has nothing whatsoever to do with Yu-Na Kim's 2010 scores, who was also vastly overscored for what she did, so please don't talk about it.

01.) EVGENIA MEDVEDEVA - 139.98 points

3F+3T +1.5 / 10.65 / Very good Flip and good flow overall, but the Toeloop gets barely any distance and pay close attention to how much she pulls around on her toepick during the takeoff there.
3Lz 0 / 6.0 / Her takeoff edge is not correct, it really almost deserves a full 'e' call.
CCoSp4 +1 / 4.0 / Good entry and very good final position, but otherwise this is totally average.
StSq4 +2 / 5.3 / Good control and edges, good usage of her leg line for the most part, although I'm not at all a fan of the illusion turn she does. Keeps a clear staccato rhythm going, could have more speed.
3F +1.5 / 6.88 / Definitely strong but bends forward a tiny bit and not the biggest jump. Yes, the tano position can make a jump more difficult, but when you are sacrificing amplitude and a clear body line for it? It's not a net gain in the end.
3Lo +1.5 / 6.66 / See, a jump without a tano position, and it's equally as successful to me because of the way it cleanly floats down from the air.
2A+2T+2T +1 / 6.99 / Her questionable axel technique on display. Still, this combination has good flow and tano positions on every jump, so you simply have to give it a little boost for those qualities.
3S+3T +1.5 / 10.62 / Very solid, but that toeloop technique is still not the best.
2A +1 / 4.13 / Again, this axel jump itself is not really good, but it flows and she has the arm position.
ChSq +1.5 / 3.05 / She does a short spread eagle, a somewhat short "Sasha Cohen turning spiral", and a few little toesteps. It's a nice enough choreographic sequence but hardly amazing.
CCoSp4 +1 / 4.0 / Good but not great speed. Mostly good positions, but the last position isn't. The change of foot is slightly wonky.
LSp4 +2 / 3.7 / Excellent, but there isn't an extra special feature here to make it deserve +3 on the GOE.

Skating Skills - 8.5 / Could be faster and have stronger edges on the whole, but she was superbly controlled here.
Transitions - 8.5 / Plenty throughout, not the absolute most difficult and not always more effective than just a long held edge, but very good.
Performance - 8.75 / Best performance of her career. Could still be more animated at times but this was very confident and showed clear usage of the body and outward expression.
Choreography - 8.25 / The construction of the program is rather blocky. Some of the movements are obviously there only to show difficulty rather than an interesting form or idea. Still quite good overall.
Interpretation - 8.5 / Pairs delicacy with power and angular movement quite well, a very good characterization of the music. Many elements timed very cleverly to the music, but the spins are a weaker point in the interpretation and overall it could still be be more extended and varied.

71.98 (Total Element Score) + 68.0 (Total Program Component Score) = 139.98

Differential in my score from what she received at the event: -10.12 points

02.) MAO ASADA - 136.02 points

3A -1.5 / 7.0 / Totally disagree with the underrotation call here, did they even pay attention to where she took off? Some deduction needs to be taken for somewhat two-footing the landing, though, sure.
3F+3Lo< 0 / 8.9 / Yes, underrotated on the second jump, but clean enough otherwise. Not excellent quality, but no GOE deduction is deserved.
2Lz -1 / 1.8 / I don't think a full 'e' deduction is warranted, but there is certainly an edge issue, so a small deduction is necessary.
FCSp4 +1.5 / 3.95 / Very nice, could be faster and slightly better on the positions.
ChSq +2 / 3.4 / A lovely sequence. Taking that spiral even further would be a way to make it truly magnificent.
2A+3T< +1 / 7.63 / This a quality combination even with being a little underrotated on the second part.
3S +.5 / 5.19 / An okay jump.
3F+2Lo+Lo +2 / 11.19 / Maybe her best execution of this element ever? Bang-on with the music, all of the jumps springy and flowing, with the extra arm position at the end to cap it off.
3Lo +1.5 / 6.66 / Very good.
LSp4 +1 / 3.2 / I don't care for the entrance, it's too stiff. Her sideways position can be better. A solid element, not great.
StSq4 +2.5 / 5.65 / The best of the competition on this element. She transfers between the steps and turns better than anyone and makes it all look effortless.
CCosp4 +1.5 / 4.25 / It's a quite good spin but not spectacular. The camel and sit positions are a bit shallow.

Skating Skills - 8.75 / The control she has is unmatched by anyone in this field. Some people have criticized her for having "less speed" than others, valid to an extent, but seem to ignore how effortlessly she gains speed.
Transitions - 8.0 / The entrances into a few of her jumps are perhaps "emptier" than ideal, but she still has some nice subtle inbetweens here and excellent flow out of most movements.
Performance - 8.25 / A good performance but a touch too reserved. Strangely, I need to point out the distracting sleeves of her costume as well. They kept riding up her arm, the left sleeve in particular, and it really took away from her body line at times. I'm not sure why her costume wasn't modified such that the arm-length sleeves stayed in place. In this instance, the movement of the costume almost seemed like a failure on her part to fully control her arms and that's not impression a performance should give.
Choreography - 8.5 / It's a lovely program, focusing on soft movement and straying away from excesses. There are still a few movements that feel a little too "compulsory" or could be more extended, though.
Interpretation - 8.5 / The reserved elegance and operatic crescendos of the music are well-realized. It could be an even higher level of emotion and clarity of movement to the music - grander spirals, more straightforward footwork (as great as Mao's footwork is, it still doesn't feel like every single turn is exactly what the music calls for), spins that aren't so "busy".

69.17 (Total Element Score) + 67.2 (Total Program Component Score) = 136.02

Differential in my score from what she received at the event: +1.59 points

03.) ANNA POGORILAYA - 133.73 points

3Lz+3T +1.5 / 11.35 / Very good combination, just a tiny unsure on the landing edge of that first jump.
3Lo+1Lo+3S +1 / 10.7 / The half loop is a bit short and there isn't good flow out of the last jump, but she keeps this together pretty well.
3Lz +.5 / 6.35 / Gets tilted and has to come down rather forward, but the extension on the end saves it.
StSq4 +1 / 4.6 / She keeps the movement going at a good pace but some of the movements feel rushed and her twizzles and loops are rather weak.
CCoSp4 +1 / 4.0 / A good spin, but the entrance a little jittery and none of it feels seamless.
2A +1 / 4.13 / A fine jump, almost seems like maybe she is too far forward on landing, but that free leg extension makes it look purposeful.
3Lo+2T +1 / 7.74 / A good Loop jump, the second part of the combo is rather small and doesn't carry great flow.
ChSq +1 / 2.7 / This consists of two spiral positions and a bracket turn. It's okay.
2A +1 / 4.13 / Pretty much identical to the other axel in the program.
3F -1 / 5.13 / The jump itself is 0 GOE quality, but deduction needs to be made for the takeoff edge.
CCoSp4 +1 / 4.0 / Her last position is very good but otherwise this is completely average.
LSp4 +2 / 3.7 / Very good speed, especially when she accelerates during the haircutter. The positions themselves aren't the absolute best.

Skating Skills - 8.5 / She has good power in her skating and ability to use edges. She just doesn't use them all the time.
Transitions - 7.75 / Some tighter landings take away here and in general her movement leading into elements tends to be more simplistic.
Performance - 8.25 / Good attack in the program, but she needs to look up and project outward more; she usually looks down at the end of jumps.
Choreography - 8.25 / A nice program, I appreciate her attention to arm positions, but there's nothing spectacular. She needs a more visionary program. And a better back sit spin position.
Interpretation - 8.0 / She does a good job reflecting the general sense of the music throughout, but there isn't enough depth. She throws away the climax of the music that comes at the end of her first spin and several seconds afterward.

68.53 (Total Element Score) + 65.2 (Total Program Component Score) = 133.73

Differential in my score from what she received at the event: -5.98 points

04.) RIKA HONGO - 133.0 points

3F+3T< +1 / 9.0 / The rotation on the toeloop looks good in real-time, it's more questionable under scrutiny, but either way this is a strong jump combination. That Flip was excellent in particular.
3S +2 / 5.8 / All-around strong jump with an arm over the head.
3Lz -.5 / 5.65 / A solid enough jump but the edge isn't totally correct.
FCSp4 +1 / 3.7 / Good enough.
StSq4 +1.5 / 4.95 / A good footwork sequence, but should get more speed and also better transitioning in a couple spots.
2A+3T+2T +1 / 10.49 / Good, but lacks flow at the end.
3Lo +1 / 6.31 / Good.
3F +1.5 / 6.88 / Very good.
CCoSp4 +2 / 4.5 / I love the snap in the flying entrance here and how quickly she gets into a clean position. Nice ending to the spin.
ChSq +2.5 / 3.75 / The best choreographic sequence of the competition. She is fast, exuberant, covers a lot of ice, has a good range of motion, and is right on the music.
2A+2T< -2 / 3.62 / Unfortunately flubs up the second jump.
CCoSp2 +.5 / 2.75 / She's slightly short on the sit position. Overall this is an annoying CoP spin, totally random and awkward combination of weak positions, although the ending is nice.

Skating Skills - 8.0 / Pretty solid.
Transitions - 7.25 / Definitely a weak point for her, quite simplistic movement between elements.
Performance - 8.75 / A wonderfully energetic, enjoyable performance. Just loses some energy before going into the last jump and also needs to get more attitude when performing some of the "hand on the hip" kind of choreography.
Choreography - 8.25 / This is the area where her posture hurts the most, the form of the movement itself sometimes being held back.
Interpretation - 8.75 / Everything is structured exactly to the music and she suits the character very well. Just that last spin of the program and a couple parts in the first footwork sequence are areas where it is a bit disconnected.

67.4 (Total Element Score) + 65.6 (Total Program Component Score) = 133.0

Differential in my score from what she received at the event: +3.74 points

05.) ELENA RADIONOVA - 132.85 points

3Lz+3T 0 / 10.3 / Tight landings on both jumps, not a great deal of amplitude.
3F +1 / 6.0 / Good.
3Lz +.5 / 6.35 / Another tight landing, but I'm giving a small bonus for the fight she shows on that landing, right in time with the music.
CCoSp4 +1.5 / 4.25 / Nice detail with the hand throughout.
StSq4 +1.5 / 4.9 / Back illusion turn to start the sequence actually works here. Good dedication to the movement throughout, although several of these turns are not the cleanest.
3Lo+1Lo<+3S +1 / 11.15 / That half loop is sketchy for me but it's a pretty good combo otherwise.
2A 0 / 3.63 / Work on your axel, gurl.
3Loop+2Toe 0 / 7.04 / Tight landing on the Loop.
ChSq +.5 / 2.35 / The spiral on the music crescendo is good, but it's barely held and the rest of the sequence is totally forgettable.
2A 0 / 3.63 / Seriously, work on that axel, you're pushing -GOE here but I'll be nice because of the entrance.
CCoSp4 +1 / 4.0 / Average flying sit, nice camel, nice upright, sort of a wonky exit at the end.
LSp4 +1 / 3.2 / Traveling a bit, can be faster.

Skating Skills - 8.5 / Undoubtably strong in this area.
Transitions - 8.25 / A bit repetitive but she has them.
Performance - 8.5 / She's a fighter and it shows. Whatever you think of the program, she is out there selling it most of the time.
Choreography - 8.0 / Well, there are some nice movements, but it's more generic and random than it should be.
Interpretation - 8.0 / If only she had let go of that Beillmann position a second earlier in this performance, to be perfectly timed with the "I'll never let go Jack, I'll never let go."

66.85 (Total Element Score) + 66.0 (Total Program Component Score) = 132.85

Differential in my score from what she received at the event: -5.26 points

06.) ASHLEY WAGNER - 131.16 points

2A +1.5 / 4.05 / Not a GREAT jump, but a little extra bonus for being right on the music.
3F+3T< 0 / 8.3 / The flip is fine, the toeloop is very underrotated.
2A+2T +1 / 5.1 / It's fine.
FSp4 +1.5 / 3.75 / Solid spin.
CCoSp4 +1 / 4.0 / Could have better positions and speed, especially at the end.
3Lo+1Lo+3S< +1 / 10.27 / That salchow is underrotated, no question whatsoever. She keeps the flow going through the combo, though.
3F -2 / 4.43 / The rotation is right on borderline, I'll give benefit of the doubt here. Obviously a bad landing aside from the rotation.
3Lo +1.5 / 6.66 / Very good, she can do it even better though.
StSq4 +1 / 4.6 / The quality of the turns here are definitely lacking, but at least she stays in character.
3Lz +1 / 7.3 / A nice big jump, takeoff edge is not textbook but not really on the inside either.
ChSq +1 / 2.7 / Not much content in here. The spiral could be way better.
CCoSp4 +1 / 4.0 / A fine spin, could be more secure at the end.

Skating Skills - 8.0 / Well, she tries.
Transitions - 8.0 / A fair amount of transitions, nothing all that difficult.
Performance - 8.5 / She's been better, but this is still a strength.
Choreography - 8.25 / Too many concessions are made with the overall idea trying to be conveyed. Moulin Rouge is there in starts and fits, with things like busy jump entrances sometimes being given more importance than choreographic vision. Program doesn't have a real ending.
Interpretation - 8.5 / There are a few key moments of the music that are rather wasted or could be more spectacular (skating through the climax of the music before the step sequence is not good) but overall the character is kept throughout.

65.16 (Total Element Score) + 66.0 (Total Program Component Score) = 131.16

Differential in my score from what she received at the event: -11.07 points

07.) SATAKO MIYAHARA - 129.35 points

3Lz+2T+2Lo +.5 / 9.45 / Small jumps, barely rotated on the doubles. I give a little bonus for the elegant arm position at the end.
3Lo +.5 / 5.45 / A small, okay jump.
StSq4 +1.5 / 4.95 / It's all very good but there isn't any particularly great highlight.
3F +.5 / 5.65 / Again, a small jump with questionable technique, but perfectly clean.
CCoSp4 +1.5 / 4.25 / Very difficult, but a bit traveling.
3Lz 0 / 6.6 / Tiny and barely rotated.
2A+3T< 0 / 6.93 / Not a good axel and heavily pre-rotated on the Toeloop, doesn't make enough rotation in the air.
FCSp4 0 / 3.2 / Not a good first position at all, not much speed overall.
3S +.5 / 5.19 / Again small and barely rotated, but a good entrance and clean.
2A+3T< 0 / 6.93 / The same story as the other one she did in the program.
ChSq +1.5 / 3.05 / Elegant, very nice on the second spiral she does.
LSp4 +2 / 3.7 / Could be faster, but a great spin.

Skating Skills - 8.5 / Excellent edges and control, could be faster.
Transitions - 8.0 / Nothing especially difficult.
Performance - 8.5 / She's lovely and presents a clear sense of herself throughout.
Choreography - 8.0 / There is a general sense of elegance in the movement but not nearly enough of an overall strong idea. Too generic and some of the technical point-getting movements are at odds with the simple elegance the rest of the choreography is attempting to convey.
Interpretation - 7.0 / Despite much of her actual movement being lovely, and the music having that kind of a quality to it, almost everything here is pasted-on. There isn't much being presented that feels like it's there because it is trying to express the exact meaning of the music.

65.35 (Total Element Score) + 64.0 (Total Program Component Score) = 129.35

Differential in my score from what she received at the event: -10.54 points

08.) GRACIE GOLD - 124.50 points

3Lz+3T< -3 and fall / 5.9 / She fell. The toeloop was underrotated but not called for it.
3Lo +1 / 5.8 / A fine jump.
StSq4 +1 / 4.6 / Rather tentative in many parts of this.
2A +1.5 / 4.05 / Good spring and flow.
FCSp4 +2 / 4.2 / Very nice to see how instantly she gets into position from the flying entrance. Strong overall.
2A+3T+2T +1 / 10.49 / Not a lot of flow, but good job.
3F+2T 0 / 7.26 / A fine jump, takeoff edge has some issue.
2Lz 0 / 2.31 / Didn't get the lift.
ChSq +1 / 2.7 / It's okay, not much content.
3S +1 / 5.54 / An okay jump, good attack with arm position at the end of it.
LSp3 +2 / 3.4 / Good speed and arm positions but that first position isn't sideways enough to count for level credit.
CCoSp4 +1.5 / 4.25 / A good spin, could be faster and a bit straighter on the positions.

Skating Skills - 8.25 / Solid all-around ability.
Transitions - 7.75 / Not the most demanding transitions out there and it also doesn't help when you fall.
Performance - 8.0 / Goes in and out of the performance.
Choreography - 8.0 / Could have bigger highlights in the choreography, but an interesting enough idea is presented.
Interpretation - 8.0 / The movement generally follows the music and tries to bring out its character, but not the most creative or in sync.

60.5 (Total Element Score) + 64.0 (Total Program Component Score) = 124.50

Differential in my score from what she received at the event: -10.36 points

09.) ELIZABET TURSYNBAEVA - 123.67 points

3Lz+2T+2Lo 0 / 9.1 / Rather wild and uncontrolled lutz.
3Lz +.5 / 6.35 / Better this time, still a bit awkward with takeoff and free foot.
3F -3 and fall / 2.2 / She fell.
FCSp3 +.25 / 3.05 / Rather weak positions and I'm not sure why this was called level 4 when there are clearly only 3 features.
CCoSp4 +1 / 4.0 / Not a good change of foot, but good speed here.
3S+3T +1 / 10.27 / Solid.
3Lo +1.5 / 6.66 / Very good.
2A +1 / 4.13 / A little jerky on entrance, but nice.
StSq4 +1.5 / 4.95 / Surprisingly quick and fluid, could be more musical.
ChSq +.5 / 2.35 / Very little content but at least it is trying to reflect the music.
2A+3T +1.5 / 9.41 / Strong at the end of the program.
CCoSp4 +1 / 4.0 / Not a good spin until the end with an excellent Beillmann.

Skating Skills - 7.75 / Very good speed and ability to hit edges, but needs to control the edges better.
Transitions - 7.25 / A fair amount of transitions but needs to make them clearer and deeper and have better flow out of jumps.
Performance - 7.25 / Good energy but needs to project it more and finish off movements properly.
Choreography - 6.5 / There is a jerky, rushed quality to the movement that needs to be tuned.
Interpretation - 7.0 / Not a great interpretation, the spins are especially ineffective, but she does have some good moments.

66.47 (Total Element Score) + 57.2 (Total Program Component Score) = 123.67

Differential in my score from what she received at the event: +1.68 points

10.) MIRAI NAGASU - 122.44 points

3F+3T+2Toe +1 / 11.6 / Surprisingly good! Never seen her do a fully-rotated 3Flip+3Toe like this.
3Lutz 0 / 6.0 / Tight landing, rotation is not ideal but not too far under for a deduction either.
3Sal +1 / 5.1 / Good.
FCSp4 0 / 3.2 / Very wobbly change of edge.
ChSq +1.5 / 3.05 / Very nice spirals.
2A+3T +1 / 9.06 / Such a good double axel, but the toeloop is barely rotated.
3Lo+2T +1 / 7.74 / Good on the Loop.
3Lo< -2.5 / 2.21 / Very bad landing and a little too much rotation lacking.
2A +1 / 4.13 / Good jump, a bit shaky on the landing but she keeps it under control.
CCoSp4 +1 / 4.0 / Pretty good, had faster and cleaner positions in the short program.
StSq3 +.5 / 3.55 / Really mediocore.
LSp4 +1 / 3.2 / A surprisingly lackluster execution of this element for her.

Skating Skills - 7.25 / Needs deeper edges, more speed.
Transitions - 7.25 / Quite simplistic.
Performance - 8.0 / A nice, lively performance. Loses some verve towards the end and could extend her arm movements better at times.
Choreography - 7.5 / A cute program, but loses a lot towards the end because of a lacking footwork sequence and underwhelming spins.
Interpretation - 7.25 / There are many different musical changes here and she doesn't characterize the different sections well enough.

62.84 (Total Element Score) + 59.6 (Total Program Component Score) = 122.44

Differential in my score from what she received at the event: +1.53 points

11.) GABRIELLE DALEMAN - 120.37 points

3T+3T +2 / 10.0 / Very strong. Sad that the scoring system considers this to be nearly as valuable as a decent Quad, though.
3Lz -1 / 5.3 / Hand down.
3F -1.5 / 3.95 / Hand down again! With more loss of flow than the first time.
LSp3 0 / 2.4 / What a weak layback. That "sideways" position doesn't count for a level.
ChSq +1 / 2.7 / Not much connection to the music, but nice spirals.
3Lz+2T +1 / 8.73 / Pretty good.
3Lo 0 / 5.61 / Good size to it, barely squeaks out the landing.
3S+2T+2Lo +1 / 8.95 / A little weak at the end but good overall.
FCSp4 +.25 / 3.45 / Starts fine, weak ending.
StSq3 +1 / 3.8 / Good midsection to this sequence, the beginning and ending are weak.
2A +1 / 4.13 / Solid enough, not the best flow out.
CCoSp4 +.5 / 3.75 / Good speed throughout but the positions in first half of spin are not good.

Skating Skills - 8.0 / Good edges, can be faster and steadier.
Transitions - 7.25 / A decent amount, needs better flow out of jumps.
Performance - 7.0 / Much too reserved.
Choreography - 7.0 / A fairly random collection of safe movements. Nothing very beautiful at all.
Interpretation - 6.75 / Her interpretation of this Spanish music is about as authentic and evocative as a hard boiled egg.

62.77 (Total Element Score) + 57.6 (Total Program Component Score) = 120.37

Differential in my score from what she received at the event: -7.93 points

12.) ZIJUN LI -118.07 points

2A+1Lo+3S +1.5 / 9.25 / Very crisp and flowing.
2A+3T +1 / 8.3 / Has to pull the landings of each jump a bit, but a fine combination.
3F -.5 / 4.95 / A bit stilted on that landing.
ChSq 0 / 2.0 / Barely anything happening here.
3Lo +1 / 5.8 / Nice.
FCSp4 +.5 / 3.45 / A bit slow and unsteady at the start.
3Lz 'e' -1 / 3.92 / A decent jump but bad edge problem.
3F+2T 0 / 7.26 / Didn't deserve the underrotation call, but a rather weak jump.
3S 0 / 4.84 / Totally average.
StSq3 +1 / 3.8 / She keeps the movement going pretty well but it should be much snappier and extended.
CCosp4 +1 / 4.0 / Needs more speed and better back sit position.
LSp4 +2 / 3.7 / Excellent positions, can be faster.

Transitions - 6.75 / Quite empty inbetweens in this program.
Performance - 7.75 / She does perform, but needs to be more animated about it and engage with more energy.
Choreography - 7.25 / Most of the "happy" movements here need way more full-body commitment. Needs much better highlights in general.
Interpretation - 6.5 / Very superficial movement to the music, doesn't relate hardly any of its depth or textures.

61.27 (Total Element Score) + 56.8 (Total Program Component Score) = 118.07

Differential in my score from what she received at the event: -1.06 points

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
And now the Short Program assessments, along with overall competition results at the end of the post.

01.) ANNA POGORILAYA - 73.23 points

3Lz+3T +2 / 11.7 / Great.
3Lo +1.5 / 6.15 / Great jump, just a slight delay from the required steps.
FCSp4 +2 / 4.2 / Fast and detailed.
2A +1 / 4.13 / Good, could be bigger.
CCoSp4 +1.5 / 4.25 / Very good aside from the back sit position.
StSq4 +2 / 5.3 / Attacks this really well, interesting movement, although the twizzles could be better.
LSp4 +2 / 3.7 / Very good speed, especially when she accelerates during the haircutter. The positions themselves aren't the absolute best.

Skating Skills - 8.5 / Great power, a few edges here and there could be cleaner.
Transitions - 8.0 / Rather simple, but the flow out of her elements is a plus.
Performance - 8.75 / Great attack and energy.
Choreography - 8.5 / Passionate and alluring movement, could be a bit more detailed.
Interpretation - 8.5 / It's all about the way she throws herself into the start of that footwork sequence as the music swells.

39.43 (Total Element Score) + 33.8 (Total Program Component Score) = 73.23

Differential in my score from what she received at the event: -0.75 points

02.) GRACIE GOLD - 72.26 points

3Lz+3T +1 / 11.0 / Tight on the first jump but recovers well.
LSp4 +2 / 3.7 / Very good, although not the best sideways position.
FCSp4 +2 / 4.2 / Good speed, very well controlled.
3F 0 / 5.83 / A fine jump, takeoff edge has some issue.
2A +1 / 4.13 / It's fine.
StSq4 +2 / 5.3 / Very good, nice sharp movements.
CCoSp4 +2 / 4.5 / Good speed, effortless transitions between positions, great upright position.

Skating Skills - 8.5 / Very good all-around.
Transitions - 7.75 / Notably more empty jump entrances.
Performance - 8.75 / Lots of enthusiasm.
Choreography - 8.75 / Not a fan of the entrance into the Flip, but otherwise excellent.
Interpretation - 8.25 / Doesn't quite hit the ending of the music and the first half of the program is more compulsory, but in several areas she brings out the character very well.

38.66 (Total Element Score) + 33.6 (Total Program Component Score) = 72.26

Differential in my score from what she received at the event: -4.17 points

03.) ASHLEY WAGNER - 70.06 points

3F+3T +1 / 10.3 / The best she can do it, still tight on the toeloop rotation, but clean all-around.
FSp4 +1 / 3.5 / A fine spin, not particularly meaningful to the music.
CCoSp4 +1 / 4.0 / Not good on the intermediate position, could end this with more speed.
2A +1.5 / 4.05 / Very solid.
3Lo +1 / 6.31 / Very good jump, a bit of a break after required footwork though.
StSq3 +2 / 4.3 / Super charming movement and expression in parts of this.
LSp4 +1 / 3.2 / Not great speed or positions, but good enough.

Skating Skills - 8.25 / Not the best edges, but solid ability.
Transitions - 8.25 / A good amount, not the most difficult.
Performance - 8.75 / Very lively, just drops that level a bit before a couple of the jumps.
Choreography - 9.0 / Wonderfully playful movement throughout, just a bit weak on the ending and one of the combination spin positions.
Interpretation - 8.75 / Again, the spins are the weak point here, not reflecting the music precisely.

35.66 (Total Element Score) + 34.4 (Total Program Component Score) = 70.06

Differential in my score from what she received at the event: -3.10 points

04.) EVGENIA MEDVEDEVA - 68.65 points

CCoSp4 +1.5 / 4.25 / Excellent final position, the others not as much, but well-controlled throughout.
StSq4 +1.5 / 4.95 / Well controlled, but rather slow.
3F -1 / 5.13 / Bit of a forward landing, not enough required preceding movement.
2A +1 / 4.13 / This axel jump itself is not really good, but it flows and she has the arm position.
3Lo+3T +1 / 10.34 / A fine combination, not especially great.
FCSp4 +1.5 / 3.95 / Could be better on change of edge, but very good overall.
LSp4 +2 / 3.7 / Excellent, but there isn't an extra special feature here to make it deserve +3 on the GOE.

Skating Skills - 8.25 / Could be faster and have stronger edges.
Transitions - 8.25 / A good amount, bit of a problem on the Flip exit.
Performance - 8.25 / Controls herself well, could use more variation of expression and the performance drops for a second after the Flip.
Choreography - 8.0 / A unique start to the program, but cramped elements later on and not enough of a cohesive idea.
Interpretation - 7.5 / The second half of the program doesn't have much to do with the music, it's more about compulsory technical movement. Even in the first half we can see facial expression that is more superficial than conveying the depth of the music and the combination spin isn't trying to characterize the music.

36.45 (Total Element Score) + 32.2 (Total Program Component Score) = 68.65

Differential in my score from what she received at the event: -5.11 points

05.) MIRAI NAGASU - 68.23 points

3F+3T< 0 / 8.3 / Good Flip and noticeably underrotated on the toeloop.
FCSp4 +1 / 3.7 / A bit slow on the second position, but a fine spin.
3Lo +1 / 5.8 / Good.
CCoSp4 +2 / 4.5 / I love the effortless, quick changes of position and how the spin works with the music.
2A +2 / 4.63 / Excellent, best of the competition.
StSq3 +2 / 4.3 / So much passion, great to see.
LSp4 +3 / 4.2 / Best of the competition, good acceleration during the Beillmann and superb attention to detail.

Skating Skills - 7.25 / Could be a lot better when it comes to being able to gain/maintain speed and utilize her edges.
Transitions - 7.5 / A good amount of content here, although not always executed with great quality.
Performance - 8.5 / A very good performance, the stunning emotion in the footwork sequence makes you wish she had given the whole program that same sublime level of openness and confidence. The ending pose also could have had just slightly more commitment to it.
Choreography - 8.75 / The most balanced choreography of the whole event. There is never an instance here of a jump or spin going back-to-back and that allows the program to build really well and make each element stand out. The footwork, despite being easier than what most competitors attempt, was choreographically better because of removing complexity in favor of truly beautiful movement. Loved the split jump. The little section of choreography leading up to the footwork sequence was also very nice. Overall there are just a few little spots here and there in the program that could have been even more refined choreographically.
Interpretation - 9.0 / Yes that's right, this was the best musical interpretation of the competition. I love how the buildup to the Loop and the jump itself are right on with the music. The positions of her combination spin directly reflect the lyrics and go exactly with the phrasing of the music. The footwork sequence was one of the most effective of the entire competition in bringing out the emotion of the music, as was the little section of movement that come before it. The Layback spin was a wonderful highlight and translated the music beautifully, with the haircutter coming on the "Don't get too close" lyric and that final position dropping down right on the "It's where my demons hide" lyric.

35.43 (Total Element Score) + 32.8 (Total Program Component Score) = 68.23

Differential in my score from what she received at the event: +2.49 points

06.) RIKA HONGO - 68.14 points

3F +1.5 / 6.35 / Excellent jump, just a slight break from required steps.
FCSp4 0 / 3.2 / Totally average.
LSp3 +.5 / 2.65 / How on earth did her "sideways layback" attempt get counted as a level feature? LOL. Awful arch in the back throughout this layback, and her free leg is often not good at all either, although she does keep this perfectly centered and have a nice hand movement.
3T+3T +1.5 / 10.51 / Very strong.
2A +1 / 4.13 / Good enough.
StSq4 +2 / 5.3 / Great, unusual movement.
CCoSp4 +1 / 4.0 / A mixed bag. Very good speed but travels some on change foot and a couple of the positions are not good.

Skating Skills - 8.0 / Solid, could get more depth of edge and control.
Transitions - 7.5 / Could transition better into and out of a couple jumps but I love the squatting spread eagle she does before the axel.
Performance - 8.25 / Generally energetic and engaging presence throughout, kind of lets it drop off during the midsection of the program.
Choreography - 8.0 / Much of the choreography is very interesting but those spins hurt her.
Interpretation - 8.25 / Definitely matches the esoteric quality of the music a lot of the time. Ever so slightly behind the music at the very end.

36.14 (Total Element Score) + 32.0 (Total Program Component Score) = 68.14

Differential in my score from what she received at the event: -1.75 points

07.) ELENA RADIONOVA - 67.81 points

3Lz+3T +.5 / 10.65 / Tight landing on the lutz, not a great deal of amplitude.
FCSp4 +2 / 4.2 / Very good in all regards.
CCoSp4 +1 / 4.0 / Bit of a wonky change of foot, but good overall.
3F -1 / 5.13 / Touch down with free foot.
2A +.5 / 3.88 / Not a strong jump for her.
StSq4 +2 / 5.3 / Technically very strong.
LSp4 +1.5 / 3.45 / Traveling a bit, haircutter position can have more speed.

Skating Skills - 8.5 / Undoubtably strong in this area.
Transitions - 7.75 / Doesn't have great flow out of the jumps, no truly striking transitions although a decent amount are there.
Performance - 8.25 / A very active performance but quite one-note in her expressiveness.
Choreography - 7.5 / Not a ton of point to the movement, it all feels rather compulsory.
Interpretation - 7.0 / Doesn't convey the music very well at all. Instead of mature angst and depth of feeling it mainly just feels like frantic movement and pasted-on expression.

36.61 (Total Element Score) + 31.2 (Total Program Component Score) = 67.81

Differential in my score from what she received at the event: -3.80 points

08.) SATAKO MIYAHARA - 66.85 points

3Lz+3T< +.5 / 9.35 / Tiny jumps, underrotated on the toeloop, but very clean.
LSp4 +2 / 3.7 / Could be faster, but a great spin.
FCSp4 +.5 / 3.45 / Travels a bit, doesn't have great speed or positioning.
StSq4 +2.5 / 5.65 / Fabulous footwork sequence.
3F< -.5 / 3.72 / Tiny, underrotated, a bit too long of a break after the required steps before the jump.
2A +.5 / 3.88 / Tiny, but I'll have to credit the entrance a little.
CCoSp4 +2 / 4.5 / Very difficult.

Skating Skills - 8.5 / Great multi-directional ability, all-around strong skills.
Transitions - 7.75 / A bit light on these.
Performance - 8.25 / A good performance, more facial expression would help.
Choreography - 8.25 / Nice detail and change of tempos to the movement.
Interpretation - 8.0 / A mixed bag. Has some really great moments but, aside from the footwork sequence, none of the elements do anything special with the music. That pregnant pause at the end of the footwork sequence doesn't really work. The ending of the program is too safe.

34.25 (Total Element Score) + 32.6 (Total Program Component Score) = 66.85

Differential in my score from what she received at the event: -3.87 points

09.) ZIJUN LI - 65.73 points

3T+3T +1 / 9.3 / Good.
3F +1 / 6.0 / Good.
LSp4 +2 / 3.7 / Excellent positions, can be faster.
2A +1 / 4.13 / Good.
FCSp4 +1.5 / 3.95 / Pleasant flowing movement.
StSq4 +1 / 4.6 / Nice, not the most speed or strongest edges.
CCosp4 +1.5 / 4.25 / Very nice, except for the back sit position.

Transitions - 7.5 / A few nice inbetweens, could use more.
Performance - 7.75 / She does perform, but needs to be more animated about it and engage with more energy.
Choreography - 7.5 / Generally attractive positions and delicate movement throughout. Needs to take it further.
Interpretation - 7.25 / Relates the softness of the music well but not all of its depth.

35.93 (Total Element Score) + 29.8 (Total Program Component Score) = 65.73

Differential in my score from what she received at the event: +0.34 points

10.) GABRIELLE DALEMAN - 65.68 points

3T+3T +1.5 / 9.65 / Tiny bit unsteady at the end, but very strong otherwise.
LSp3 0 / 2.4 / Entirely unremarkable and that "sideways" position doesn't count for a level.
FCSp4 +.5 / 3.45 / Nothing special.
3Lz +1 / 7.3 / Could have better flow on the landing, but it's good.
2A +1.5 / 4.38 / Very nice.
StSq3 +2 / 4.3 / Lots of snap and ice coverage.
CCoSp4 +1 / 4.0 / Good speed, positions in first half of spin could be a lot better.

Skating Skills - 8.25 / Good speed and hits some deep edges, not the best control though.
Transitions - 7.5 / A fair amount.
Performance - 7.25 / Pretty good, could be much more expressive.
Choreography - 7.25 / Needs to extend and finish off some moves better. Better spins would help create a more pleasing picture as well.
Interpretation - 7.5 / It's cute music and she does a pretty good job of conveying it but could have taken it further. The spins aren't very good with the music.

35.48 (Total Element Score) + 30.2 (Total Program Component Score) = 65.68

Differential in my score from what she received at the event: -1.70 points

11.) MAO ASADA - 64.96 points

3A< -3 / 2.9 / Very bad landing and unfortunately also a bit too short on rotation.
3F+2Lo +1.5 / 8.15 / Very good.
FCSp4 +1.5 / 3.95 / Very nice, could be faster and slightly better on the positions.
3Lo -1 / 4.91 / Skidded landing edge.
LSp4 +2 / 3.7 / Very good throughout, I appreciate the high leg on the first position.
StSq4 +2 / 5.3 / Solid throughout and some really great twizzle action.
CCosp4 +1.5 / 4.25 / It's a quite good spin but not spectacular. The camel and sit positions are a bit shallow.

Skating Skills - 8.5 / Obviously excellent ability, slightly lower because of the errors.
Transitions - 7.25 / The jump mistakes hurt here and there aren't a ton of transitions to begin with.
Performance - 8.0 / A pretty good performance, of course the mistakes took some wind out of it.
Choreography - 8.0 / Not the most inspired choreography, aside from parts of the footwork sequence, but quite nice on the whole.
Interpretation - 8.0 / First part of the program doesn't do much for the music and she also ends just slightly behind the music. A nice playful and sultry quality in the rest of the program, could be even moreso.

33.16 (Total Element Score) + 31.8 (Total Program Component Score) = 64.96

Differential in my score from what she received at the event: -0.91 points

12.) ELIZABET TURSYNBAEVA - 64.15 points

3Lz -2.5 / 4.25 / Wild landing and lack of required preceding footwork.
CCoSp4 +1 / 4.0 / Lots of speed but also travels quite a bit.
3S+3T +1 / 10.27 / Solid.
StSq4 +1.5 / 4.95 / Great speed and full-body motion.
2A +1 / 4.13 / A little jerky on entrance, but nice.
FCSp3 +.25 / 3.05 / Slow speed on edge change and I'm not sure why this was called level 4 when there are clearly only 3 features.
LSp4 +2 / 3.7 / Very good.

Skating Skills - 7.75 / Very good speed and ability to hit edges, but needs to control the edges better.
Transitions - 7.0 / Could use more, the lutz landing doesn't help either.
Performance - 7.75 / Very good energy, needs some more maturity.
Choreography - 7.5 / A quite charming program, needs to finish some moves off more.
Interpretation - 7.25 / Reflects the music very well in some spots, can give more depth in others. There's a dead spot of movement to the music after the footwork sequence and she also ends after the music.

34.35 (Total Element Score) + 29.8 (Total Program Component Score) = 64.15

Differential in my score from what she received at the event: +2.52 points

OVERALL PLACEMENT

01. Evgenia Medvedeva (4th SP, 1st LP) - 208.63 points (-15.23 point differential, 0 shift in placement)
02. Anna Pogorilaya (1st SP, 3rd LP) - 206.96 points (-6.73 point differential, +1 shift in placement)
03. Ashley Wagner (3rd SP, 6th LP) - 201.22 points (-14.17 point differential, -1 shift in placement)
04. Rika Hongo (6th SP, 4th LP) - 201.14 points (+1.99 point differential, +4 shift in placement)
05. Mao Asada (11th SP, 2nd LP) - 200.98 points (+0.68 point differential, +2 shift in placement)
06. Elena Radionova (7th SP, 5th LP) - 200.66 points (-9.06 point differential, 0 shift in placement)
07. Gracie Gold (2nd SP, 8th LP) - 196.76 points (-14.53 point differential, -3 shift in placement)
08. Satako Miyahara (8th SP, 7th LP) - 196.20 points (-14.41 point differential, -3 shift in placement)
09. Mirai Nagasu (5th SP, 10th LP) - 190.67 points (+4.02 point differential, +1 shift in placement)
10. Elizabet Tursynbaeva (12th SP, 9th LP) - 187.82 points (+4.20 point differential, +2 shift in placement)
11. Gabrielle Daleman (10th SP, 11th LP) - 186.05 points (-9.63 point differential, -2 shift in placement)
12. Zijun Li - (9th SP, 12th LP) 183.8 points (-0.72 point differential, -1 shift in placement)

3rd to 6th place separated by only 0.56 points! :eek:

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm sorry but someone with terrible posture and hunched shoulders like Hongo should never get near a World podium.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
I'm sorry but someone with terrible posture and hunched shoulders like Hongo should never get near a World podium.

Thanks for your opinion, I disagree. Her posture isn't so bad and her SP especially utilized lots of off-center movement so as to not make it as much of an issue. Also, she should have been on the podium at 2015 Worlds. :)

deedee1

Record Breaker
WHOLE POST

:bow::bow: to BoP.

OVERALL PLACEMENT

01. Evgenia Medvedeva (4th SP, 1st LP) - 208.63 points (-15.23 point differential, 0 shift in placement)
02. Anna Pogorilaya (1st SP, 3rd LP) - 207.36 points (-6.33 point differential, +1 shift in placement)
03. Ashley Wagner (3rd SP, 6th LP) - 201.22 points (-14.17 point differential, -1 shift in placement)
04. Rika Hongo (6th SP, 4th LP) - 201.14 points (+1.99 point differential, +4 shift in placement)
05. Mao Asada (11th SP, 2nd LP) - 200.98 points (+0.68 point differential, +2 shift in placement)
06. Elena Radionova (7th SP, 5th LP) - 200.66 points (-9.06 point differential, 0 shift in placement)

3rd to 6th place separated by only 0.56 points!

Then, let's give them all the bronze medals. :)

Thanks a million, BoP. :thank: Your re-evaluating and re-scoring Ladies event is a comfort to me, indeed (though in my heart Anna's the wolrd champion and Rika's won silver, actually ;)).

As for Rika, she's born to have rather broad shoulders, and to not have a longer neck unfortunately. These are something anyone can't do about, aren't they? But Rika's been working on her posture/bodylines and trying to not hunch her shoulders. We did see some improvements in that area, I think. The truth is no one can be a Maya Mikhailovna Plisetskaya in one day. Let's give her some more time to mature. :yes:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The problem with this sort of exercise is the subjective nature of the second mark (and GOEs to some extent, too). But I definitely agree with the scoring for Mirai's short program! I watched it again on tape. She was so under-scored on the second mark.

ETA: I have to add a couple of other things about Mirai's short program. I loved the little artistic touches in there: the Ina Bauer, the split falling leaf. Those should be recognized in the second mark. I also think Mirai had good speed. I would have scored her higher on skating skills.

Last edited:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker

I agree, artistically is below Pogo: she doesn't have the same speed and the posture, and the jumps even aren't big, often UR. I find these scores good (i would agree for the most part) but subjectives: Zijun Li TES for the SP is overscored to me, or for example Radionova hasn't the best 2a in the world but the entry for that jumps is so difficult and different, or Mirai interpretation in the FS should be 7.0 or even less as well the transitions.

I think the scoring at Worlds was fine for the most part, at least it was coherent with previous events so i don't know why people are always that surprised when you see a skater doing clean and receiving a PB by 2-3 points, it should be fair (i mean, this is the WC). The judging system starts to be less coherent when it comes factors like the home advantage, and that i think explain perfectly Ashley and Gracie's scores: to me is okay, it becomes annoying when a gold medal is decided by this factor (fortunately this is not the case).

Last edited:

andyjo24

Medalist
Thanks for creating this thread.:)

Having watched the event live, I would be more than happy to share my scoresheets. I will post later tonight.

Alex D

Record Breaker
Oh, a lot of time must have been going into this project, thanks for that. I am too nice to do something like that to the Ladies :luv17:, I always point out their strength rather than their weakness, but if you ever do the men, then I will join you :laugh:

I like that you actually use the range of scores, rather than just having it all at the same level. A skater can have a 9 at INT and a 7 at SS, but sadly the judges do not think like that or at least I seldom see a much bigger range than 0.5 between the different PC´s. It is also good that you work with the music in your analyses, I always take a close look there as well so we probably have a lot of consensus there.

Thanks for mentioning Sasha, the queen of spirals and that you appreciated the choreography and interpretation of Rika and Mirai.

Hopefully the thread doesn't lead to skaters being insulted and trashed.

b-man

Final Flight
Thoughtful analysis, BoP. I always look forward to your comments more than any others.

andromache

Record Breaker
I quite like this, though I would've gone a little more with the judges on a few marks. I would've been more generous to Ashley in PCS than to Elena. Moulin Rouge is only worth .25 more than Titanic? Anyway, very interesting.

Cryssania

Spectator
yea i totally thought Rika Hongo would have done much better under 6.0 because the presentation/ performance of her program was wonderful... totally underscored imho... i think all of the russians were overscored and i even thank mevdeva is sort of blah... i must be the only one... again, so much about figure skating is subjective, which is totally why it's both entertaining and frustrating...

andyjo24

Medalist
Btw guys, can someone advise me on how I would factor each of the elements (i.e., jumps, spins, etc)?

gkelly

Record Breaker
Btw guys, can someone advise me on how I would factor each of the elements (i.e., jumps, spins, etc)?

I'm not sure what you mean.

You can find the base values and the values of the plus and minus GOEs in the current Scale of Values in ISU Communication 1944.

Here's a quick link to just the Scale of Values part:
http://usfigureskating.org/content/2015-16 SP Scale of Values.pdf

Did you have something else in mind?

The scoring process is a group effort: the technical committee adjusts the Scale of Values every year or two; the technical panel at each event calls the elements including jump rotations and edges, and levels on non-jump elements; the judges award GOEs (with only 7 options of -3 -2 -1 0 1 2 3; Blades of Passion has made up his own rules that allow him to give +1.5 GOEs but that is not part of the official system) and program component scores in increments of 0.25; and the computer program does the averaging, factoring, and adding up.

Which parts do you want to do yourself?

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Wow, this must have taken a lot of time, but it's very interesting to read! Great thread, so agreeing or not agreeing aside, thanks for posting this :thumbsup:

Overall, I'd agree with your scores more than with the official ones. Anna definitely deserves 1st in the SP for me and 2nd overall (I'll probably try to score her and Evgenia too if I have time, I'd like to see if I might not even have Anna 1st!). How Ashleys 3-1/2-3S didn't get an UR call is completely beyond me.

Also, justice for Rika, yeeees!! :drama:

andyjo24

Medalist
- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure what you mean.

You can find the base values and the values of the plus and minus GOEs in the current Scale of Values in ISU Communication 1944.

Here's a quick link to just the Scale of Values part:
http://usfigureskating.org/content/2015-16 SP Scale of Values.pdf

Did you have something else in mind?

The scoring process is a group effort: the technical committee adjusts the Scale of Values every year or two; the technical panel at each event calls the elements including jump rotations and edges, and levels on non-jump elements; the judges award GOEs (with only 7 options of -3 -2 -1 0 1 2 3; Blades of Passion has made up his own rules that allow him to give +1.5 GOEs but that is not part of the official system) and program component scores in increments of 0.25; and the computer program does the averaging, factoring, and adding up.

Which parts do you want to do yourself?

What I'm not sure about is the factoring of the GOE after the highest and lowest GOE's are taken out and the remaining are averaged. Like for example, just because the average of the judges' GOE (after removing the highest and lowest GOEs) for a 3Lz+3T is +2 doesn't mean that the total score for that element would be 10.30 + exactly 2 GOE = 12.30 total. I believe there is some factor that is multiplied with the average GOE, correct? And I think this factor is different for jumps, spins, and step sequences, no?

That's the part I'm not too sure about.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Check the Scale of Values.

What the computer does (as I understand) is add or subtract the value of the GOE (the lightface numbers to the left and right) to the base value (boldface numbers in the center of the table). What I'm not sure of is whether the program adds the base value plus/minus GOE for each judge and then throws out the high and low and averages, or whether it throws out the high and low, takes the remaining GOEs and inserts the prorated values (whatever +1 or -2 etc. is worth for that element), and adds them up and divides by the number of judges, and then adds that average to the base value.

The base value doesn't change judge by judge. However, the values of the GOEs can't be averaged after they're all added up, because there isn't always a single factor to multiple them by: For many elements the values of the pluses are larger than the values of the minuses. And in at least one case (negative GOE for quads), the -3 value is not simply three times the -1 value.

Of course, if you're only figuring out your own personal scoring, there's only one person's scores involved so there's no throwing out and averaging involved. Just add or subtract the value of the GOE you assign.

If you've got a bunch of different judges' scores that you want to combine, then you need to go through that additional averaging process.

So the question is, do you want to play judge, play technical specialist, and also play computer/accountant for just your own or for a whole group of people's scores?

Last edited:

andyjo24

Medalist
Check the Scale of Values.

What the computer does (as I understand) is add or subtract the value of the GOE (the lightface numbers to the left and right) to the base value (boldface numbers in the center of the table). What I'm not sure of is whether the program adds the base value plus/minus GOE for each judge and then throws out the high and low and averages, or whether it throws out the high and low, takes the remaining GOEs and inserts the prorated values (whatever +1 or -2 etc. is worth for that element), and adds them up and divides by the number of judges, and then adds that average to the base value.

The base value doesn't change judge by judge. However, the values of the GOEs can't be averaged after they're all added up, because there isn't always a single factor to multiple them by: For many elements the values of the pluses are larger than the values of the minuses. And in at least one case (negative GOE for quads), the -3 value is not simply three times the -1 value.

Of course, if you're only figuring out your own personal scoring, there's only one person's scores involved so there's no throwing out and averaging involved. Just add or subtract the value of the GOE you assign.

If you've got a bunch of different judges' scores that you want to combine, then you need to go through that additional averaging process.

So the question is, do you want to play judge, play technical specialist, and also play computer/accountant for just your own or for a whole group of people's scores?

Thank you!

I understand how to factor the GOE's now. I just multiply the average GOE with the +1 factor in the Scale of Values. :thank: