Yu/Jin replaced by Peng/Zhang at Worlds | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Yu/Jin replaced by Peng/Zhang at Worlds

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
They need to post videos from test skates. Too many "closed door test skates" -- i.e. politicizing amongst federation officials to get whoever they want at major competitions while shortchanging those more deserving.

Test skate videos were linked twice in the previous page.

Regarding Zhang being "selfish" - I disagree... it's thanks to his experience and clout that she has the career she's having. When he retires, he will simply be leaving her to pick a lesser partner than him. Zhang could have retired pre-2012, and Peng would have been left trying to make it with Zhang Tianci or whoever.

True. OTOH, Peng was carefully selected from many young female skaters so they must have seen her talents and potentials. She was quite intimidated to be skating with a star, one who was also much older. Zhang was acting also as a coach and a baby sitter at the beginning as young Peng left home for the first time. But she has shown herself worthy of the nurturing after the first season or two. Surely the Chinese fed wants to keep her after her older partner retires and they will search for her a new partner as diligently as they did for him.

eta

Medalist
I'm very grateful to be able to watch some of the test skates - thank you very much poster - but I do wish they are /all/ available. I'm very disappointed that Yu/Jin are not going to Worlds but I can't be angry at the Chinese Fed when I don't know how they did in their SP test skate relative to the other teams.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I'm very grateful to be able to watch some of the test skates - thank you very much poster - but I do wish they are /all/ available. I'm very disappointed that Yu/Jin are not going to Worlds but I can't be angry at the Chinese Fed when I don't know how they did in their SP test skate relative to the other teams.

Yes I don't understand why on earth they don't make all the skates available. I feel like how Yu/Jin did during the SP is potentially crucial information.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i hadn't watched W/W before... I was pleasantly surprised by them.... from the little we saw of Y/J there, it seems like they struggled with refinement... rough lift, etc.... I think it's always a tough choice for a federation when there is that much depth... so I wouldn't throw them under the bus, especially since we don't have information about the SP and about everyone's health....

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker

Yes I don't understand why on earth they don't make all the skates available. I feel like how Yu/Jin did during the SP is potentially crucial information.

i think same tumblr user said Y/J has problem with SBS jump at SP but otherwise clean

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
i think same tumblr user said Y/J has problem with SBS jump at SP but otherwise clean

I always felt peng and zhang sadly had an aesthetically uncomfortable look about them. The age difference is the problem. Figure skating is one of the most selfish sports we see it all the time. People dropping partners look at the Canadian pairs, the Russian pairs, Rachel Flatt not dropping out and Gabby Daleman not dropping out when injured, years ago I think it was susan humphreys from canada who wouldn't drop out and she already i beleive had put canada in trouble with not qualifying for the olympics and then she would let someone else compete and at the time the Canada had several potential top ten ladies. Savchenko is another example call selfish, assertive, going for what you want, Kristi dropping pairs and Rudi Galindo to go after oly gold, rarely do you have a Liam Firius situation who magnanimously gave up his sport to allow another skater with a better chance to do better.. Call it being a competitior or whatever it is in an athletes heart to be competitive. I remember reading about sport scandals and years ago at the olympics it was clear that a judge made an error with pressing the computer keys and it allowed the Amerian girl to win gold in sycnhro swimming over a Canadian. it was obvious and the judge admitted it was an error pressing the wrong button or whatever but the results were not changed i believe for years. That American swimmer didn't offer the gold; its a sport. people train for titles. That being said it is hard to see how y/j didn't get a spot over at least one of these two teams p/z or wsquared. in the end China has a strong team still. But I do thinkn y / j had a better chance. But such is life.

Poice

Final Flight
I love Yu/Jin! They had good season, great programs (I love their SP!) and for me are clearly number 2 team in China. Too bad that their own federation can't appreciate Yu/Jin talent.

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
It is so unfortunate for Yu/Jin to stay home twice in a row even though they had great two seasons so far after moving up for seniors.
The circumstance contrasts S/B, the young Canadian pair team who competed with Yu/Jin in JW last year.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It is so unfortunate for Yu/Jin to stay home twice in a row even though they had great two seasons so far after moving up for seniors.
The circumstance contrasts S/B, the young Canadian pair team who competed with Yu/Jin in JW last year.
I am confused how this contrasts with Seguin and Bilodeau unless you mean yu and jin are healthy scratches???? No matter, it is still disappointing nad a lot of us can't see the logic. But who are we.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I am confused how this contrasts with Seguin and Bilodeau unless you mean yu and jin are healthy scratches???? No matter, it is still disappointing nad a lot of us can't see the logic. But who are we.

I mean both S/B and Yu/Jin did great both at Nationals and international competitions two season. However, S/B was initially chosen as the World team for Canada based on their competition results, while Yu/Jin has been left out at the last minutes due to some politics. It must be really frustrating for them not to go to Worlds! I don't know why you're referring to healthy scratches as the two teams are very competitive in competition. It is also sad for me to see that S/B withdrew from Worlds because of injuries.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Who chill crossover, don't get your quasi suv in a rut lol. Sorry it was nothing meant derogatory. I just didn't know where you are coming from. Politics are sad i guess we have to live with it don't we? But they are both young; we will see them again hopefully.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Who chill crossover, don't get your quasi suv in a rut lol. Sorry it was nothing meant derogatory. I just didn't know where you are coming from. Politics are sad i guess we have to live with it don't we? But they are both young; we will see them again hopefully.

I wasn't offended but just puzzled. Of course, we will see them again. They are still in early 20s.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There are videos of the test skate here

The overall results of the test skate was:
1st Sui/Han
2nd Peng/Zhang
3rd Wang/Wang
4th Yu/Jin

This decision should earn a big thumbs up from folks who are always carrying on about how USA should conduct test skates and/or rely on only a qualifying event score, rather than taking recent international body of work into consideration.

I love Yu/Jin and was looking forward to their Worlds performance. They have qualities as a pair that are hard to quantify, but definitely lovely, and definitely what I want to see in pairs skating.

QuadThrow

Medalist
I always felt peng and zhang sadly had an aesthetically uncomfortable look about them. The age difference is the problem. Figure skating is one of the most selfish sports we see it all the time. People dropping partners look at the Canadian pairs, the Russian pairs, Rachel Flatt not dropping out and Gabby Daleman not dropping out when injured, years ago I think it was susan humphreys from canada who wouldn't drop out and she already i beleive had put canada in trouble with not qualifying for the olympics and then she would let someone else compete and at the time the Canada had several potential top ten ladies. Savchenko is another example call selfish, assertive, going for what you want, Kristi dropping pairs and Rudi Galindo to go after oly gold, rarely do you have a Liam Firius situation who magnanimously gave up his sport to allow another skater with a better chance to do better.. Call it being a competitior or whatever it is in an athletes heart to be competitive. I remember reading about sport scandals and years ago at the olympics it was clear that a judge made an error with pressing the computer keys and it allowed the Amerian girl to win gold in sycnhro swimming over a Canadian. it was obvious and the judge admitted it was an error pressing the wrong button or whatever but the results were not changed i believe for years. That American swimmer didn't offer the gold; its a sport. people train for titles. That being said it is hard to see how y/j didn't get a spot over at least one of these two teams p/z or wsquared. in the end China has a strong team still. But I do thinkn y / j had a better chance. But such is life.

I think that is part of Figure Skating´s nature. Figure skating is about presenting itself during a period of 4 minutes. IMO this skill correlates with a selfish and a bit arrogant character but also with musicality and will power. On and off the ice big and strong personalities crash into each other. Especially pairs and coaches can get into huge troubles. IMO Robin Szolkowy, Fedor Klimov and Tatjana Volosozhar managed this private problems very well in the past.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
While I'm really sad for China losing its 3 spots, at the same time I like the karma. It's like a slap to tne Chinese federation. Hope it'll show them how to choose teams.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Yes, I feel their decision to send Peng/Zhang was right (as demonstrated by the fact that even with major errors they did finish ahead of Wang/Wang) but they definitely should have been sent as the #3 team, behind Yu/Jin. I agree the fed deserved what happened, though it is a pity since honestly they do deserve 3 spots, it's just they didn't send the right 3 teams to demonstrate that.

Giselle

Medalist
While I'm really sad for China losing its 3 spots, at the same time I like the karma. It's like a slap to tne Chinese federation. Hope it'll show them how to choose teams.

My prediction is that next year at Worlds we will see Peng/Zhang and Sui/Han, unless either is seriously injuried :sarcasm:
And Yu/Jin will miss the World Team a 3rd time in a row...

At least Yu/Jin are getting new programs by David Wilson for next season.

caitie

Medalist
I'm so bummed for Yu and Jin. They caught my eye in a major way last season, but this season they had the exact same programs and costumes and it stagnated them in people's eyes and was really a waste of a season IMO. They always do their job and win medals so it was shocking to me they were cut from the World team after placing at 4CC and making the GPF two years in a row and winning the JWC two years in a row. It's hard to understand what more their federation wants from them.