Yu/Jin replaced by Peng/Zhang at Worlds | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Yu/Jin replaced by Peng/Zhang at Worlds

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I'm so bummed for Yu and Jin. They caught my eye in a major way last season, but this season they had the exact same programs and costumes and it stagnated them in people's eyes and was really a waste of a season IMO. They always do their job and win medals so it was shocking to me they were cut from the World team after placing at 4CC and making the GPF two years in a row and winning the JWC two years in a row. It's hard to understand what more their federation wants from them.

"You're still way too young, so be patient and wait until your turn comes to you." I think this is a message which the federation gives to the team unfortunately regardless of their success from international competitions. AND a little bit of karma got the federation.

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
"You're still way too young, so be patient and wait until your turn comes to you." I think this is a message which the federation gives to the team unfortunately regardless of their success from international competitions. AND a little bit of karma got the federation.

Right, and I don't think that's a bad message in all circumstances, and I know too that we have to accept some societal differences in attitude, at least to some degree, but seriously, this is just stupidity at this point. Last year I understood what happened, and I thought a legitimate argument could be made that the federation did make the right choice, and if they didn't, it was true that they were a very young team and if that's something they wanted to factor, particularly with the decision IMO being less clear cut than this year, so be it, it's their choice. But this year it was very obvious that they were a much stronger team than Wang/Wang, I'm sorry. This is shown in their results and is not debatable. I honestly just can't understand it, nor can I understand how they placed 4th in the test skates, which I am forced to conclude were extremely biased, for what reason I don't know. If the fed wants to push Peng/Zhang because they think Zhang is a legend, okay, that's their choice and at least Peng/Zhang make the GPF and win some GP medals, but what possible justification could there be for pushing Wang/Wang? It just makes no sense.

I'm done ranting now, sorry,but I continue to feel very frustrated about this.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Dumb of the Chinese Fed to do this. I hope the Worlds results convince them to not pull this crap again. They didn't mention injury or illness, so I'm assuming Yu/Jin were fine to compete. Even though this hasn't been their best season ever, they are more consistent than both Peng/Zhang and Wang/Wang and Yu for sure has the edge on both Peng and Wang when it comes to landing her SBS jumps. PCS wise, Wang/Wang are the lowest internationally and Yu/Jin are comparable with Peng/Zhang and can potentially be better in PCS due to their better track record. Yu/Jin rarely bomb the way the other 2 pairs did at Worlds and very likely would have kept the 3rd spot for China. I hope they receive the opportunities they deserve in the future.

silverlake22

Record Breaker

Really it's silly though, since Yu, Peng, and (She) Wang are all around the same age, Yu is actually the oldest of the 3, but because her partner is actually close to her age as opposed to 10+ years older, they get passed over. Yu also has more experience than both girls in the other partnership and is probably the strongest skater of the 3 (easily the best SBS and throw jumps, great lift positions too), so really Chinese Fed is pulling all this nonsense because Jin happens to be quite young. Most of the pairs at Worlds didn't skate that great, Yu/Jin had a realistic shot at placing as high as 6th or 7th if they skated well. It's just unfortunate because now with only 2 spots, I fear they could get passed over for Worlds AGAIN regardless of how strong their season is leading up to Worlds. Blah

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Yes, I feel their decision to send Peng/Zhang was right (as demonstrated by the fact that even with major errors they did finish ahead of Wang/Wang) but they definitely should have been sent as the #3 team, behind Yu/Jin. I agree the fed deserved what happened, though it is a pity since honestly they do deserve 3 spots, it's just they didn't send the right 3 teams to demonstrate that.

This season made it pretty clear that Yu/Jin are the "real" #2 pairs team in China, the Fed favors Peng/Zhang but looking at scores and placements at internationals this season, Yu/Jin are better, they have a higher SB and beat Peng/Zhang at the GPF despite both teams making a number of mistakes. Yu/Jin also have a lower floor when it comes to scoring compared to P/Z and as far as a ceiling goes, I'm not sure there's much difference there either. P/Z have a higher PB, but that's from when Worlds was in China and over the past season their trajectory seems to be downward as opposed to upward.

I feel like China would be better off finding Peng a new partner closer to age and have her work on jumps in the meantime. Yu/Jin being around the same age gives them more longevity for the future as opposed to P/Z because you can assume Zhang will be done after 2018, and at this point he may not even make the team. I feel like P/Z are getting held up because of Zhang's good results in the past with a different partner....it really has nothing to do with them as a pair.

lyndichee

Medalist
I think the Chinese Fed has just been an absolute mess this year.

None of the teams except Wang/Wang showed up to Nationals.
They were only able to get 2 teams to 4CC when it is guaranteed that you get 3 spots anyways.
They decided the Worlds team using results from just one test skate.

After dominating the junior level for so many years, they also only have 1 spot left at Junior Worlds for pairs too.

Wake up and get your skaters to competitions. I don't see any excuse for them not to get them to nationals; you invested the time and money to hold an event, get your top competitors there. A national title in China literally means nothing if none of the top competitors take it seriously.

sses1

On the Ice
I think the Chinese Fed has just been an absolute mess this year.

None of the teams except Wang/Wang showed up to Nationals.
They were only able to get 2 teams to 4CC when it is guaranteed that you get 3 spots anyways.
They decided the Worlds team using results from just one test skate.

After dominating the junior level for so many years, they also only have 1 spot left at Junior Worlds for pairs too.

Wake up and get your skaters to competitions. I don't see any excuse for them not to get them to nationals; you invested the time and money to hold an event, get your top competitors there. A national title in China literally means nothing if none of the top competitors take it seriously.

And get your skaters new programs, even if its just one!!! If Lori is too expensive then find someone cheaper.

Giselle

Medalist

I don't get this comment. As far as know Wenjing Sui, Hao Zhang and Xiaoyu Yu were all injuried at the end of december and that's why they didn't show up at Nationals, not because they didn't feel like it. Sui/Han and Yu/Jin regrouped for the National Winter Games and 4CC (but didn't look 100%) and Peng/Zhang made it to Worlds.

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
I don't get this comment. As far as know Wenjing Sui, Hao Zhang and Xiaoyu Yu were all injuried at the end of december and that's why they didn't show up at Nationals, not because they didn't feel like it. Sui/Han and Yu/Jin regrouped for the National Winter Games and 4CC (but didn't look 100%) and Peng/Zhang made it to Worlds.

It's also worth noting that Chinese Nationals are taken a lot less seriously than nationals in countries like Japan, US, or Russia. It's common that top skaters skip the competition. Sui/Han and Peng/Zhang both skipped nationals last year too. Although I agree that Wang/Wang and Yu/Jin deserve more competitive experience.

LRK

Record Breaker
If I recall correctly, were Wang/Wang NOT sent to 4CC - even though they had a spot available for them? Then they were sent to Worlds' - but Yu/Jin were not? It all is very puzzling... :scratch:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
If I recall correctly, were Wang/Wang NOT sent to 4CC - even though they had a spot available for them? Then they were sent to Worlds' - but Yu/Jin were not? It all is very puzzling... :scratch:

That's the biggest head scratcher. An extra spot available and yet they couldn't fill all the slots.

And then they send a 30th ranked team to Worlds over a 10th ranked team?! :unsure:

Giselle

Medalist

IIRC Wang/Wang had visa issues that's why they were not sent to 4CC...