Yuma Kagiyama | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Yuma Kagiyama

Figskater23

Final Flight
Oops, never mind on my last post. I looked at some from the past and I realized I asked that before. I forgot.

figureskatingandrainbows

It's Oka ShinnosuSLAY Season!
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
The stress fracture is (almost) healed, and Yuma is slowly returning to the world of skating! He participated in Prince Ice World in May, debuting the new program "Werther", choreographed by Carolina Kostner/Lori Nichol. The program was created at a training boot camp in Varese, Italy, in which Yuma worked with Lori and Caro to develop skating skills and performance. This was done in part to look at venues near Milan to prepare for the 2026 Olympics. He then went to the United States with Kao to brush up on the short program choreography with Shae, during which he managed to land a 4S for the first time since December. Yuma is still avoiding 4T because he wants to avoid aggravating the fracture, so is instead training a 4F. He held an open practice recently in which he attempted the 4F for the first time since December, and landed it first try! He will be competing on the GP this season, as he is eligible for the Injury Comeback rule, but the number and location of assignments is currently unknown.

Sources:
https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/0005cce436097017a2cf55dd3a5e5e409f7b2f9f?page=1

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20230513/k10014066181000.html

https://www.nikkansports.com/premiu...m_medium=social&utm_campaign=nikkansports_ogp

figureskatingandrainbows

Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
I'm worried because it's still not healed entirely. Of course as an outsider you never know what's the best, but I would prefer him to not jump quads when it's not really healed.
It's definitely concerning, but I think Yuma really wants to make sure that the fracture heals and he stays healthy based on interviews. He clearly dislikes sitting out of competition, but I think he dislikes being injured even more. Also, has dad has been doing a fantastic job as coach and father, as he encouraged Yuma to WD from Nationals last year and focus on recovery, which is a good sign of his father focusing on health over results. While the circumstances aren't ideal, based on all of the information made public I do think Yuma and his team are prioritising injury recovery over anything else right now.

figureskatingandrainbows

Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Yuma has been scheduled for the Grand Prix de France and NHK Trophy for the GP series (since I saw some people confused as to how he got two spots, he likely used the returning from injury rule). Yuma attended the Japanese National Team Training Camp in mid-July, where he said he was happy to attend and skate with everyone again. On the media day, he had some issues with his quads but emphasised focus on presentation over jumps this season. He plans on skating before his GP assignments with just one quad, and adding more in towards the GP series and possibly bringing back the 4T for Nationals and beyond. In regards to earlier competitions, Yuma will have to compete at Regionals and Sectionals in order to qualify for Nats, but he may choose to do a Challenger event or other international instead during those dates in order to be exempted. In regards to the injury, it is still healing. Yuma got medical clearance to return to the ice in February, and is still receiving regular MRI checks to make sure the injury isn't getting worse. He agrees with his dad that he shouldn't have competed at last year's Nationals, but they have both agreed that it's not worth dwelling on the past. His no. 1 focus this season is avoiding injury. Beyond that, he want to qualify to the GPF and make the Worlds team.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Last edited:

icewhite

Record Breaker
Some interesting details about Yuma and his work with Carolina. I'll look forward to seeing them at Lombardia Trophy.

It certainly won't do damage to get advice from Kostner, but actually I think he already has it all, his expressions are very fine in my eye. He just needs to be healthy and do the jumps.

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
Yuma Kagiyama did rather well at Lombardia Trophy! His 4S was in a breeze, his 3A wasn't big but looked effortless, only his 3Lz combo wasn't all right:

Above all, I was very pleasantly surprised: not only he has an original, intricate program with lots of transitions, original jumps, fast twizzles... but he was much more expressive than what I expected.
He's first with 91.47.

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yuma Kagiyama did rather well at Lombardia Trophy! His 4S was in a breeze, his 3A wasn't big but looked effortless, only his 3Lz combo wasn't all right:

Above all, I was very pleasantly surprised: not only he has an original, intricate program with lots of transitions, original jumps, fast twizzles... but he was much more expressive than what I expected.
He's first with 91.47.

Thank you for posting the video! It certainly appears that Yuma has improved his expressiveness since he last competed internationally! I too am pleasantly surprised and hope Yuma can continue to come back like this! :cheer:

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Yuma Kagiyama for his Gold Medal at Lombardia Trophy!
I don't find any video, but from the score sheet, his 4S must have been as good as at Short Program, then he popped his 4T into a 2T, his 3A + 2A sequence was good, and his triples too; and his spins and step sequence all got a Level 4:

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
Here's the video:

Indeed the 4S was really good, and the 3Lo as an entry to the Flying Camel, wow! But then, watching the score sheet before the video, I had supposed that this 3Lo was there with the project of a 4Lo before the end of the season. I can't imagine this spin just after a 4Lo! And the absence of a combination with a triple as the second jump, makes me fear that his injury isn't healed yet. I wish him a complete recovery!
Another most impressive highlight, at about 3:45, is a spiral inspired by Yuzuru Hanyu's "physically impossible" spiral in his If program, at Fantasy on Ice Tour A this year, of which here's a drawn decomposition:

He doesn't go as far as Yuzuru Hanyu in this position but of course, he can't in a competitive program rather full of difficult transitions! It's really impressive as it is.
He didn't show as much expressiveness as in the Short Program, but we're so early in the season.

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
Yuma said after his SP to Goldenskate that his injury is fully healed, I think he's avoiding the 3-3 to skate cleaner

I'm really happy if his injury is really healed! In fact I was starting to worry at his having a 4T in his Free program. I'm now rather relieved that he's retrieving his jumps and combinations one after the other, without too much hurry. His skating skills have always been very good! But if he keeps improving, it's all the better.