2014 Skate America Men's FS 10/25 | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2014 Skate America Men's FS 10/25

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
Machida still in character as he bows at the medal ceremony. Hair check as well. That's hysterical !! :laugh:

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
I'm not sure of his layout, but maybe he figured he didn't need it, so why bother? :think:

I think you're right. He could have done that 3A without Zayaking so maybe he downgraded for your reason?

peg

Medalist
Nam was the only one to skate two completely clean programs. He needs to increase his power (speed, height on jumps) and his spins definitely need work, but for a sixteen-year-old, that was pretty impressive. A well-deserved bronze.

And Machida was indeed in a class by himself in this competition.

LisaS

On the Ice
Ngyuen is much taller then Machida and looks about the same height as Jason Brown on the Podium, so I think his height is correct in his bio.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So another point in the Nam Nguyen height debate: Looking at the podium video -- he's taller than Jason! I believe Jason is 5'7", so Nam is at least 5'8".

Last edited:

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
MEN'S FREE PROGRAM - VIDEOS & RESULT

1. Tatsuki MACHIDA (JPN) - 269.09 Free Skate
2. Jason BROWN (USA) - 234.17 Free Skate
3. Nam NGUYEN (CAN) - 232.24 Free Skate
4. Denis TEN (KAZ) - 224.74 Free Skate
5. Jeremy ABBOTT (USA) - 219.33 Free Skate
6. Adian PITKEEV (RUS) - 212.07
7. Chafik BESSEGHIER (FRA) - 208.70 Free Skate
8. Douglas RAZZANO (USA) - 204.48 Free Skate
9. Artur GACHINSKI (RUS) - 200.13 Free Skate
10. Michael Christian MARTINEZ (PHI) - 197.58 Free Skate
11. Alexei BYCHENKO (ISR) - 185.98 Free Skate
12. Jorik HENDRICKX (BEL) - 177.43 Free Skate

That was quick thanks! I didn't catch Nam's skate so will watch that first.

caitie

Medalist
I picked Nam as my Men's B guy in USFS's fantasy figure skating thing, yay!

Too bad I don't watch any Pairs so my Pairs picks were horrible, tho...

mjj

Rinkside
Congrats to all the winners :clap:

I am thinking if there is 3 Japanese competing here, they will take the podium...like what Kozuka, Yuzu & Machida did once :biggrin:

bekalc

Record Breaker
Macida clearly was the best but sadly is a second tier skater next to Hanyu or the old guard like Chan and Takahashi. He has improved a lot but he isn't there yet as to style - good jumps (not great - Kozuka had better knees, Chan had better quads) Brown was lucky; poor Jeremy. I feel for him General notes about costume since there has been much talk - experts need to look at costumes from a distANCE Ie Dennis' outfit that detailing in beading does not register from a far whereas Jeremy's Banana Republic Raspbery top with elephant grey slacks registers well from the audience (his sp outfit sadly looked like a Sears Clearance outfit - you know when you go those sales and get an additonal 50% off stockthat is a few years old.

Dai is retired, Chan is out.. I actually think Machida has better posture than Hanyu. Besides he is more consistent than those three. Can you remember a two fall Machida performance? The judges are starting to reward him. As for second tier every country in the world would Kill to have him..

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nam was the only one to skate two completely clean programs. He needs to increase his power (speed, height on jumps) and his spins definitely need work, but for a sixteen-year-old, that was pretty impressive. A well-deserved bronze.

And Machida was indeed in a class by himself in this competition.

Nam was clean but I'm so disappointed for Adian. He could have beat Nam in the battle of the boys IMO given their current abilities. Oh well. Nam won fair and square and deserved that medal. Hope he picks up the speed so I can jump on board as a fan.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I wish Machida would stop playing with his hair so much. He seems obsessed with it. Is it cultural that the Japanese Hipsters spend a lot of time on the hair because they like anyone come of as self consumed and a bit arrogant.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
I think it's just Nam's slight frame that's throwing people off. You'd think Yuzu would be shorter than Patrick, but their bios say Patrick's actually an inch shorter.

Mao88

Record Breaker
MEN'S FREE PROGRAM - VIDEOS & RESULT - updated

1. Tatsuki MACHIDA (JPN) - 269.09 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
2. Jason BROWN (USA) - 234.17 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
3. Nam NGUYEN (CAN) - 232.24 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
4. Denis TEN (KAZ) - 224.74 Free Skate
5. Jeremy ABBOTT (USA) - 219.33 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
6. Adian PITKEEV (RUS) - 212.07 Free Skate
7. Chafik BESSEGHIER (FRA) - 208.70 Free Skate
8. Douglas RAZZANO (USA) - 204.48 Free Skate
9. Artur GACHINSKI (RUS) - 200.13 Free Skate
10. Michael Christian MARTINEZ (PHI) - 197.58 Free Skate
11. Alexei BYCHENKO (ISR) - 185.98 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
12. Jorik HENDRICKX (BEL) - 177.43 Free Skate 2nd Copy

caitie

Medalist
Dai is retired, Chan is out.. I actually think Machida has better posture than Hanyu. Besides he is more consistent than those three. Can you remember a two fall Machida performance? The judges are starting to reward him. As for second tier every country in the world would Kill to have him..

ITA! Machida may be second tier in an imaginary skating hierarchy of some of the best skaters of all time, but as far as this season goes? No way.