2014 Cup of China Ladies Short Program 11/07 | Page 29 | Golden Skate

2014 Cup of China Ladies Short Program 11/07

Alba

Record Breaker
Yes, she performed her POTO LP at Japan Open. And believe me, I recommend you don't watch it. Hopefully tomorrow we well see a much better version.

She is doing 2 POTO? I thought it was one. :confused:

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
I thought Yulia's SP was good but not great but after watching it again it's grown on me to the point where I think she was easily the best of the bunch... the camera angles used were horrible and I think that had a lot to do with my initial impressions.

A lot of that was definitely the camera angles used. Have you seen the video from the test skates, other than the type of jumps it's the same program but this one was filmed much better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YaVfbMwtO0

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
Fair point, but the 3lz and 3loop is only 0.9 apart, 3flip 0.7 apart and Carolina can easily compensate that with greater GOEs and vastly superior PCS. Not sure how much the 1.1 multiplier works out, another half point bonus? If you rate them against Carolina, they'd be lucky to clear 60, 61 on relative terms even with slightly greater tech content.

But are you taking into account that Yulia has the halftime bonus plus the best steps and spins (BV and GOE).

Not to mention scores change so much that I only count the scores given out in the current season and the previous season. Since it's difficult to compare scores from the same season but different competitions it's almost impossible to compare a program in this season with one from two full seasons ago.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
This is the first time I watched Kanako's POTO after hearing so many bad things about her program, has it changed much through the season?

I thought the program is fine, and some lovely details in it, particularly the final 20 seconds with Brightman's playful vibrato, unusual and creative way to finish the program. Kanako should been alot closer to the first 2 than 7 points apart.. she should have beat them in interpretation, performance and and may be at least equal to transition. She is clearly much more refined skater than the other two. Much more lyricism in her skating and expressions (nice use of arms). Surprising and lovely! Ohh.. and Happy Birthday!

She is. The Japanese ladies have that in common for their skating.

Icey

Record Breaker
I hate, hate, hate how people are doing an illusion turn going into their Laybacks this season as a level feature. It is so ugly and disconnected from the entire shape of a Layback! There is no meaning in the movements people do anymore!

And very few are able to do an attractive illusion. Anna's at skate canada was awful.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I would not say "awful" may be "not very elegant". But Yulia's one in the middle of the step sequence was very nice and appropriate.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Quick question: in a LSp, do you have to get into layback/sideways-leaning position right away? I noticed Liza does about 2 rotations in an upright spin and then goes into her actual sideways leaning position (Sasha Cohen used to do this too for her layback). I'm wondering if that's something that Liza needs to watch out for, because I know skaters in the past have had spins negated for not getting into position (or is that just after a flying entrance?).

Icey

Record Breaker
*shrugs* Liza at 16 was doing much more mature programs.

It's really hard to believe, watching them one after the other, that Liza is only two years older than Yulia.

Everybody doesn't have to go down the same road. The theme of Julia's program might have been "immature", but the program itself and the skating certainly weren't.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
I would not say "awful" may be "not very elegant". But Yulia's one in the middle of the step sequence was very nice and appropriate.

I think Pogo's illusion spin merits an "awful". She looked like a drunken sailor lurching about. The only one who can do a good illusion spin is Sotnikova.

mustafakent

On the Ice
Julia's flip looks a little bit outside to me.If I were a judge, I would give "!". And her presentation scores should be lower than Liza's.

Americans look bad on GP's but they will shine at their nationals, as usual...:disapp:Looks like only Ashley has a chance to make it to the GPF, that is usual too.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Her tech score is objective. She has the spins none of the former "queens" were capable of and she gets her GOE for that. She did not even have all +3. The only one where I could agree is the unnecessary plus on axel. But it gave her just +0.26. Then pcs. I think, one cannot compare different seasons. This season Wagner had higher pcs at SC than Yulia now. Then we may talk about overall pcs inflation rather than specific one because I do not see Ashley as a better skater than Yulia in any of the components.

Not all 3+ in GOE hardly makes it any more objective. SP is suppose to be THE technical program of figure skating. What is the purpose of it if the winners don't have every intention to deliver the highest difficulty technical goods but choose to compete on their 'subjective' wishy washy 'acceptable' inflated PCS that seems to ignore their deficiencies and neglect others merits?

The fact is 9+ points gap for Yulia and 7+ Points between Liza and 3rd place makes it such an imbalanced competition with overly generous GOEs.

The 9 point difference means Yulia could have completely mess up of her 3F AND step sequences, or omit her 2A all together and still have won over a good Kanako with a 3F< and much better PE/IN.

Same with Liza, she could have omit a whole 3lz from her jumping element, she would have still beaten Kanako. Likewise what if Kanako produced a 3lz3T+ 3A. Is it even enough to catch up Yulia? There seems something seriously wrong with the scoring system. Others might as well pack their bags now.

MiRé

Match Penalty
Just watched the programs, and my favorite is Liza's and Kanako's. However, how in the world are these girls getting 30+ PCS with these programs? :confused:
Yulia needs to change her dress or onesie or whatever it is. It's hideous and needs to be changed ASAP. I wouldn't say it's Waldo, more like Wendy's ......
I like the step sequence, but her dress is making me look over the program. Can't focus on her or any program when the dress is hideous. Polina is getting taller and taller, but hopefully she'll adjust to her (another?) growth spurt. HaeJin doesn't look promising for the future, but she's getting there....hopefully for Pyeongchang. Shame about Li's loop, otherwise, it's perfect to me :love:

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
Polina landed the flip well, but she didn't add a second jump: maybe she was afraid to mess the jumping pass, she was nervous because of the previous fall or something.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Polina landed the flip well, but she didn't add a second jump: maybe she was afraid to mess the jumping pass, she was nervous because of the previous fall or something.

Silly mental error. Frustrating! I really appreciate your taking the time to answer my question! will watch later when Ice Network gets the archive up.