Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 64 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Why didn't Haruka Imai get any points for her StSq in TEB FS?

There is no longer a required pattern , but a step sequence must fully utilize the ice surface. It must be visible and identifiable and should be performed by using almost the full ice surface either in it length from short barrier to short barrier (e.g. straight line, serpentine or similar shape) or twice in its width from long barrier to long barrier (e.g. circle, oval or similar shape). Failure to achieve the above description will result in no value.

My best guess isvthat, according to the tech panel, Haruka did not fully utilize almost the full ice surface. If she did not do enough features for level1, she would get a base value StSqB, not zero.

Johar

Medalist
Does falling on the rink hurt more or less than falling on an icy sidewalk? Those skaters tend to pop right up after they fall. My friend on black ice this past week--not so fast.

Amei

Record Breaker
Does falling on the rink hurt more or less than falling on an icy sidewalk? Those skaters tend to pop right up after they fall. My friend on black ice this past week--not so fast.

Skaters do it so much - falling on the ice - in practice that their instincts probably help them pop up.

concorde

Medalist
I think the difference is when you are skating, you are somewhat expecting that you could fall (especially when you are landing a jump). Hence, there is some mental prep. Sometimes you see skater fall at an unexpected time, they look shaken.

When you are walking down the sidewalk you are not expected to fall so there is no mental prep time.

bebece

Rinkside
3A-3L or 3A-2L or 2A-3L possible

basically Loop as second jump in combination with Axel

what is the hardest 3-3 jump ?
3lutz-3loop?

Meoima

Match Penalty
^I think combo 3A-3T is the hardest for women (if they can pull it).

Last edited:

Icey

Record Breaker
Spins seem to be judged ineptly. Why? Some are so slow that even labeling them a "spin" is ridiculous.

kinoriH

Final Flight
Question- Why do female pair skaters rarely skate with loose hair? They usually skate with a bun/ponytail.
i guess it's more comfortable, but is there an actual rule for that?

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Question- Why do female pair skaters rarely skate with loose hair? They usually skate with a bun/ponytail.
There isn't a rule, but I think it would be distracting for the guy to continually be smacked in the face with flying hair (think about wild hair in a 3twist or a lift?).

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Meryl Davis often skates with her hair down and dance lifts are even closer to the guy than pairs.

I thought about that, but KinoriH asked specifically about pairs skaters. Ice Dance is difficult, but I wouldn't want to be lifting my partner high above my head and getting slapped around with long hair, since pairs is so dangerous in the first place.

penguin

On the Ice

Pairs skaters have to do multiple-revolution jumps, and you don't want hair flying in your face for those. Sometimes I wonder if the ice dancers get distracted by loose hair in all their lifts, but I assume that it's not nearly as in the way as when you're jumping. (Even in a ponytail, I dislike the feeling of my hair whipping around when I jump, and I don't do triples. But I don't mind it with spinning.)

rollerblade

Record Breaker
I think the difference is when you are skating, you are somewhat expecting that you could fall (especially when you are landing a jump). Hence, there is some mental prep. Sometimes you see skater fall at an unexpected time, they look shaken.

When you are walking down the sidewalk you are not expected to fall so there is no mental prep time.
Yep this. There's also something I like to call a "controlled fall". When I used to snowboard a lot, if I know the fall is coming, I learned how to fall instead of trying to fight it. Fighting the fall was how I caught the other edge and slammed down even harder.

But of course I'm not trying to gain points for a super sketchy landing vs a guaranteed fall deduction. :laugh:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Going back to a question I asked a few pages back, re: the correct pronunciation of "Ngyuen," I spoke to a Vietnamese teachers' aide @ my school whose last name is "Nguyen." She confirmed for me that the correct way to prounce it is "win." She is not offended by the fact that lots of people still pronounce it as "Nu-yen," but she would prefer that it be pronounced as "win." So, I'll go with her judgment, since she is from Vietnam.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Can a technical whiz explain why Yuilia got a 3f<<-REP at TEB. I know it was downgraded 70% but how is this rule best explained? Here are the protocols from this event. Any help is appreciated and NO...I'm not disputing it :) http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpfra2014/gpfra2014_Ladies_FS_Scores.pdf

I am no technical whiz, but this is just the Zayak rule. Julia did two triple flips, both in the bonus (and hence, if done properly, with a base value of 5.83) The second was severely underrotated, and so was downgraded. Neither jump was in combination, so the second one is considered to be part of a sequence,and the scoring for a sequence is 0.8 times whatever she would have for a severely underrotated triple flip done in the bonus.

So there are three adjustments to that flip, whose nonbonus base value is 5.3
x1.1 for the bonus
x0.8 for the Zayak sequence rule
x0.3 or whatever the factor is for the downgrade

Depending how & when/whether rounding is done, and whether it is done after each step, and in what order the steps are done, you get the 1.46 base value the protocol reports.

Last edited:

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Going back to a question I asked a few pages back, re: the correct pronunciation of "Ngyuen," I spoke to a Vietnamese teachers' aide @ my school whose last name is "Nguyen." She confirmed for me that the correct way to prounce it is "win." She is not offended by the fact that lots of people still pronounce it as "Nu-yen," but she would prefer that it be pronounced as "win." So, I'll go with her judgment, since she is from Vietnam.

At the SA gala, Rusty interviewed him during an intermission and Nam introduced himself as 'Nam Nu-yen'. Guess it varies.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
At the SA gala, Rusty interviewed him during an intermission and Nam introduced himself as 'Nam Nu-yen'. Guess it varies.

Thx, gravy. Appreciate the definitive word on how Nam himself pronounces his own name.

(But nothing wrong with other Nguyens choosing a different pronunciation for themselves. As you say, it varies.
Leonard Bernstein and his brother used different pronunciations of their last name, IIRC.)

Females from the Ice Dance and Ladies disciplines usually compete with a bun/ponytail as well, I would say.

Loose hair could be problematic for skaters from all disciplines -- including Men's :yes: (see Elladj Balde, Jason Brown, etc.).

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks Doris....so kind of you to answer. I knew there were a few issues at play. :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

I agree with your teacher friend. :) That "Ng" sound is so hard to master! I always get tripped up when I have to pronounce words that start with "Ng."