2016 Four Continents Mens SP | Page 27 | Golden Skate

2016 Four Continents Mens SP

liv

Record Breaker
One judge gave Patrick an 8.5 for Skating skills. Wow. So, who deserves higher? Patrick made mistakes and got knocked down for them, etc., but I never question his skating skills.

sarama

Medalist
Yes if you look at it it has light and dark spots. The darker spots are thin and going to the cement underneath. So it is probably not even and very thin in places meaning they have to keep it very hard to keep it cold and then you can't get into the ice well. It gives no spring.
No excuses skaters know how to use it but the ISU is suppose to be monitoring that and it seems they don't give a crap. Like it or not good ice makes a difference and it can cause injuries especially in pairs.

Thanks for enlightening me.... poor skaters:(

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
One judge gave Patrick an 8.5 for Skating skills. Wow. So, who deserves higher? Patrick made mistakes and got knocked down for them, etc., but I never question his skating skills.

yeah and Patrick also received 9.5 for interpretation!!! I mean I don't get it.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just looked at the protocol. While yes I am sad for Kevin as this was to try to get more redemption, I must say those are some mighty fine GOEs on the StSq!

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
If they want Boyang Jin to win this they had to prob him up in the SP, and that's exactly what they did, but he should be first that's certain, imho. I still have my doubts about the long. Right now I can see each of the top 5 winning, although I doubt Han Yan performing another clean program. It's not boring though, much more interesting than Europeans, imho. Great stuff.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Wow, so many spin errors. I know the jumps are king, but i miss having someone like Jason around to show nice spins...

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Ok, so Han wasn't as clean as I thought :( But I agree that Han should get some program that is not jazzy, he's done enough of them already.

sarama

Medalist
Just looked at the protocol. While yes I am sad for Kevin as this was to try to get more redemption, I must say those are some mighty fine GOEs on the StSq!

I think Kevin has never been super consistent and right now just needs some time to put everything back together, but I am confident he will eventually.... and I still think he would have been a better choice for worlds than you-know-who

Kutien

Final Flight
1 Boyang JIN CHN 98.45 1 video
2 Shoma UNO JPN 92.99 2 video
3 Han YAN CHN 89.57 3 video
4 Takahito MURA JPN 89.08 4 video
5 Patrick CHAN CAN 86.22 5 video
6 Grant HOCHSTEIN USA 75.79 6 video
7 Keiji TANAKA JPN 74.82 7 video
8 Max AARON USA 69.48 8 video
9 Michael Christian MARTINEZ PHI 69.15 9 video
10 June Hyoung LEE KOR 67.35 10 video
11 Nan SONG CHN 66.04 11 video
12 Jin Seo KIM KOR 65.13 12 video
13 Andrew DODDS AUS 61.88 13 video
14 Liam FIRUS CAN 61.81 14 video
15 Julian Zhi Jie YEE MAS 59.70 15 video
16 Se Jong BYUN KOR 58.30 16 video
17 Ross MINER USA 58.27 17 video
18 Denis MARGALIK ARG 57.71 18 video
19 Brendan KERRY AUS 55.83 19 video
20 Kevin REYNOLDS CAN 55.14 20 video
21 Leslie IP HKG 54.81 21 video
22 Chih-I TSAO TPE 51.83 22 video
23 Harry Hau Yin LEE HKG 42.54 23 video

Last edited:

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
Some really good skates tonight :dance3:. I hope Chan and Max can recover in th free, and I really hope Han or Mura can get a medal.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Some comments from the Japanese Broadcast, Kevin Reynolds was interviewed in Japanese and they did a little special blurb for him. His Japanese is quite good! Better than Chris Reed by miles! He said he'd do his best in the free.

Patrick spent most of his interview saying how bad the ice was...that he felt like he had never skated before.

Shoma said 'My performance wasn't so bad' I'll concentrate on the free.

That's all I remember for now.

My favorite performances were:

1.Han Yan. 4CC seems to be the place where the unexpected do well, Kanako and Han, my heroes. Thank you for at least skating your SP well! Loved it.

2. Boyang, again, tango is not the best dance for him but he's doing his best for this tango, and going clean and jumping like a kangaroo in a whirlwind. What's not to love about that?

3. Shoma, is only in third because he's done this SP better on the performance side and I missed a bit of the sass.

4. Muraaa! YES thank you for not popping ANYTHING. You are coming into form. Aim for the podium!

The last group was pretty good by and large. :hap57:

P.S. Respectable performances from Keiji and Grant. -hit it out of the park in the FS you two. :yahoo:

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Kevin has never been super consistent and right now just needs some time to put everything back together, but I am confident he will eventually.... and I still think he would have been a better choice for worlds than you-know-who

Except that Kevin will have to do another international competition in order to get the SP TES minimums.

I think when I let go of my worries, I stopped being afraid of failure. That or I knew I needed to calm down. I'm trying to find positives here. And mostly +2 and +3 GOEs for the StSq? I consider that something positive to look at.

Comeback are never going to be perfect. That's fact of life. And I'm still proud of how he redeemed himself at nationals. I know he's not consistent and that's what worried me throughout the past 2 years of being a fan of him. Now, I feel like I need to let go of being worried for every competition and be excited.

Eclair

Medalist
looking at the detailed result scores:

Boyang got 7.96 in SS with both Kevin Reynolds and Max Aaron getting also 7's
Shoma, Han yan, and Mura in the 8's and
Patrick having 9,14.

I actually think that's reasonable and not that far-off.

Transitions:
Boyang and Han yan got 7's
Shoma and Mura 8's
and Patrick 8.93 the highest

Not that unreasonable either though I would haven given Patrick 9's.

Presentation:
Boyang getting high presentationsscores: 8.43 with
Shoma, Mura, Han yan and Patrick getting higher presentation scores than him, but all being in the 8's.

Boyang brings the sex and sells that lacking choreo, so I'm OK with that.

Choreo
Boyang getting 7.93 for choreo is definetly too high,
with Shoma, Mura, Han yan in the 8'
and Patrick: 9

Hochstein, aaron and Keiiji all have choreo marks in the 7's but lower than Boyang, which I find not appropriate.

Interpretation
Boyang getting 8.04
with Shoma, Mura, Han yan in the higher 8's
and Patrick 9's

I'm actually OK with htat too, since I think Boyang did interpret his music well. maybe a tad too high.

So overall I would have given Boyang around 38 pcs instead of 40.

One has to remember, too, that Boyang was clean as a whistle while Shoma, Mura and Patrick had minor or major flaws. I expect their pcs (esp Patrick's) to rise, once they skate clean as Boyang.

andyjo24

Medalist
Some comments from the Japanese Broadcast, Kevin Reynolds was interviewed in Japanese and they did a little special blurb for him. His Japanese is quite good! Better than Chris Reed by miles! He said he'd do his best in the free.

Patrick spent most of his interview saying how bad the ice was...that he felt like he had never skated before.

Shoma said 'My performance wasn't so bad' I'll concentrate on the free.

That's all I remember for now.

My favorite performances were:

1.Han Yan. 4CC seems to be the place where the unexpected do well, Kanako and Han, my heroes. Thank you for at least skating your SP well! Loved it.

2. Boyang, again, tango is not the best dance for him but he's doing his best for this tango, and going clean and jumping like a kangaroo in a whirlwind. What's not to love about that?

3. Shoma, is only in third because he's done this SP better on the performance side and I missed a bit of the sass.

4. Muraaa! YES thank you for not popping ANYTHING. You are coming into form. Aim for the podium!

The last group was pretty good by and large. :hap57:

Oh Patrick! Stop with your excuses. The ice was bad for EVERYONE, and did not pose a problem to Boyang, Han, Shoma, or Mura.

Just please get yourself a jump coach, or you'll get buried in the standings. :drama:

Interspectator

Record Breaker

He fought till the end! I was so sad for him but he never gave up till the final fall on the spin knocked the wind out of him. :( With that kind of determination, I think he can make it back. It'll just take some time.