2016 World Championships Mens Short Program | Page 73 | Golden Skate

2016 World Championships Mens Short Program

Art&Sport

Medalist
With all the complains about Boyang's score, you would think he was leading by 10 points rather than a measly 0.2 points over Kolyada.

Kolyada is a better skater than Boyang on the components. Kolyada is more well-rounded, but they are both young and each still have a lot to learn. Some of you seem to think that Boyang's scores should always be in the high 90s or higher regardless of how he skates. Well, Boyang is not Javi Fernandez yet, if ever.

Boyang gets a boost simply because of his quads and quad lutz/ triple. He doesn't have the skating skills of Han Yan, but it seems he has a better head for competition and more consistency on the quad-almighty quads. Quad lutz/ triple without being a more complete skater is jumping contest material only. But the sport is so gung-ho crazy over quads, it doesn't matter. The cart is put before the horse. The judges will reward Boyang with boosts on his PCS because of his quads/ quad-lutz, and then he will get help from U.S. coach Frank Carroll. But Boyang is already being given PCS higher than his actual abilities. He should be scored fairly on PCS now, and allow him to learn and improve before boosting his PCS because he can turn fast revolutions.

Last edited:

whatif

Medalist
I wish I knew what Tarasova was saying during Adam's skate. I wonder if she likes it or not.

She did not have a lot to say but was complimentary about his presentation overall, but disagreed with her commenting partner about his technical abilities and the level of success he has with 4lz. She was talking about Arutyunian for the most part and gave most credit to him. She absolutely hated everything about Max Aaron, called him walking on the ice and zero skating skills and no presentation also was not too impressed with jumps. So clearly preferred Adam between two US skaters.

For those who interested what else she said:
1. She spent a big chunk of last group puzzled by Fernandez score going as far as saying that tonight she did not see 6 points worth gap between Jin and Javier in PCS. And could not understand why he had such a high TES score as well. Thought that Javier should have been much closer to both Jin and Kolyada.
2. Thought that Umo also should have been behind Jin.
3. Called Jin's judging shameless
4. Was gushing over Chan's PCS abilities and called them unmatched.
5. Was brutally honest about kovtun's skating and was not a fan at all
6. They turned off mics during Yuzu's skate. And only superlatives afterwards going as far as saying that she is happy and proud to be alive to witness this masterpiece.

EDIT:
7. Was kind of confused who Nam Nguyen is and why he ranked so high and is in the penultimate group. LOL. Her partner in the booth reminded her that Nam is the reigning Canada champ and was 5th in the last Worlds that followed with a lot of snark afterwards. But they did speculate that his growth spurt might be the culprit.

Last edited:

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
:shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

I was unable to watch the Men's competition last night, and let's just say that waking up and finding out that Han Yan and Nam Nguyen didn't make it to the FS was not what I was expecting...
ikr
Im still in shock!:sad4:

& So sad abot Ten:sad21: he's such a great skater:sad21:

But happy for Misha & Deniss!!!!!!!!! :yahoo::yahoo: They better keep it up in the FS!!! So much youthful energy!:luv17:

apple123

On the Ice
She did not have a lot to say but was complimentary about his presentation overall, but disagreed with her commenting partner about his technical abilities and the level of success he has with 4lz. She was talking about Arutyunian for the most part and gave most credit to him. She absolutely hated everything about Max Aaron, called him walking on the ice and zero skating skills and no presentation also was not too impressed with jumps. So clearly preferred Adam between two US skaters.

For those who interested what else she said:
1. She spent a big chunk of last group puzzled by Fernandez score going as far as saying that tonight she did not see 6 points worth gap between Jin and Javier in PCS. And could not understand why he had such a high TES score as well. Thought that Javier should have been much closer to both Jin and Kolyada.
2. Thought that Umo also should have been behind Jin.
3. Called Jin's judging shameless
4. Was gushing over Chan's PCS abilities and called them unmatched.
5. Was brutally honest about kovtun's skating and was not a fan at all
6. They turned off mics during Yuzu's skate. And only superlatives afterwards going as far as saying that she is happy and proud to be alive to witness this masterpiece.

I can't agree more! Everything she said is on point! I don't know how the judges can be so blind to what's happened on ice.

tzazu

Medalist
30 Maxim KOVTUN (RUS)

Music: I Can't Dance by Genesis

Black shirt with guitar, black pants

4S+3T
3T*
FUSp
3A - stepout
CSSp
StSq
CCoSp3p

Really costly pop on 2nd planned quad

SP: 38.35+40.11 = 78.46, 13/30

I forgot some hours a go (it´s soooo late here :hslap:) but go now: THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH for your reportings, are really great sequinsgalore :thank:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Max isn't some sassy eye-rolling "I'm a witch" guy. He's the quiet guy who works his tail off behind the scenes. It's not fair that the crowd punishes him for effectively having a different personality type.

LOL.

This sport is a performance art. If you don't have the "personality type" to be interesting when you're out there on the ice, then perhaps you should get into speed skating or hockey, where it's not about artistry. Crowds are under no obligation whatsoever to be excited about something uninteresting. Exactly the opposite, in fact.

TatiMax

On the Ice
Kolyada was not underscored. He must be very happy to skate in the last group. Such an honor for someone still unknown in the field to skate with legends like Yuzuru, Javier and Chan!

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Where is Sugarpova? I miss her TAT translations :( Fantastic Mikhail...so I guess someone else I like will bomb now
haha I was in bed:yay::cool: miss ya too:agree:
our boys did well!

Last edited:

chairmanmao

Final Flight
Okay, so I have some thoughts, particularly now that I've settled back in my quiet hotel room with the heater going in my fluffy dressing gown and a bottle of cold water for my aching throat.

- There were two BIG scoring travesties tonight IMO. The first - which pretty much the whole TD Garden seemed to agree with me - was Julian Yee's score. That was disgustingly low and I'm thrilled he still made the FS in spite of it. I was glad the crowd booed it. It was the most classic case of little-country scoring ever.

- The other big scoring travesty IMO was Fernandez's score. Oh, are we giving out 98s with a fall now? :sarcasm: Come on judges, that was ridiculous. Especially when it went four points clear of Chan (who also fell). Now you all know I'm no Chan fan, but he is a vastly superior skater in every respect to Fernandez...

- Don't get me wrong. I wasn't expecting Max to get a new SB with that skate. I wasn't expecting (but should have been) to see him get dumped like that either. And I felt the crowd's reactions were totally different. The crowd wanted to see Adam do well. I didn't get the same feeling for Max.

- Han Yan not making the free skate was the absolute shocker of the night for me. I never in a million years would have picked it. I knew he was in trouble from the moment he struggled with that quad, thought he'd be in real trouble when he popped the Lutz but even then I thought he'd get through. So I'm absolutely stunned that he didn't make the free skate.

- I feel quite sorry for Nam Ngyuen, but I also feel like Skate Canada just had their political ******** blow up in their face big time. Are they seriously suggesting Liam Firus couldn't have done better than that?

- You all know how I feel about Kovtun, but I felt bad for him in that last group. First, when they were introducing the skaters for that last group, the crowd went nuts for Hanyu, but barely cheered for Kovtun. Then, after Hanyu's score came up, people started piling out of the arena, which I thought was plain rude. I stayed, I even cheered.

- I just about expired of nerves during Brendan and probably screamed my head off embarrassingly every time he landed something. Which as he landed everything, was a lot. :D I'm so, so happy that he managed to pull that together. Now just hoping good!Brendan shows up for the FS as well and that he hasn't also used all of Team Australia's luck allotment.

- Also, I met Brendan after, he looked relaxed and was smiling and charming. As always. :biggrin:

- I finally, finally, after all this time, "get" Yuzuru Hanyu. I'll never be a screaming uber but I finally understand how he generates that level of love. This was the one thing I was really hoping to achieve during the men's event (the "getting" of Hanyu) and I'm glad I did. I was even out of my seat before he finished that last spin. :clap:

Did you conveniently forget Javier is like 4 points clear in BV to Chan and landed exceptional 4T-3T and 3A. Please don't insult my intelligence and yours as well.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I woke up around 2 am CET to watch the higher-ranker skaters, and obviously missed Kolyada. Didn't get around to catching up with videos earlier, so just watched him on the Eurosport recap. Man, that was quite something. This guy just hits all my happy-buttons. Both his SP and FS are just so much fun to watch. :dance:

Rissa

Record Breaker
Some comments on the Men's performances:

1. Watch out, Javi, because Kolyada seems to be out to usurp your "charming entertainer" designation.

2. Kolayada was fabulous, I'm so overjoyed he's gonna skate in the last group. Hopefully, he goes clean and his PCS go over 80!

3. Omg Nam. The most hearbreaking one for me was Nam.

4. Yuzu.. well. Enough said already.

5. And the Oscar for "nope, it never happned, there was no fall, your eyes were deceiving you" goes too... Patrick Chan. I thought Javi had that Oscar in a bag but then Patrick turned in his submission... I don't think I've ever seen such a quick recovery from a fall. :unsure:

6. D10, sniff. I hope he'll have a good free and a full recovery next season.

8. Deniss Vasilievs made it into top 10. Yeah, you go boy! Hold on to that placement!

9. Somebody earlier said that Shoma's perfromance was "flat". Yeah, I kind of think so too. I love this SP and he was cleanish, but it didn't have the same dancey energy as at TEB.

10. Like everybody, I felt bad for Kovtun. What a nightmare having to skater after Hanyu. I bet he would have done much much better had he skated first in the group.

11. Still like Boyang. It's eerie how he and Shoma are so close score-wise. Here's the next-generation rivarly to watch! I only wish Nam Had been up there with them. And Nathan Chen. Meybe next year.

12. US could actually get the 3 spots! It would require for both Max and Adam to move up a spot which looks like a tall order but they could beat Kolyada (although I really wish for Kolyada to remain at his place, I feel conflicted). I hope they both will do well today!

13. To me the judging seemed good, for the most part. Perhaps a bit too generous for Javi with PCS, but if one looked at the protocol, the GOE seemed ok for what he turned in, and he recovered from that fall remarkably quickly.

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Kolyada was not underscored. He must be very happy to skate in the last group. Such an honor for someone still unknown in the field to skate with legends like Yuzuru, Javier and Chan!

An honor? He worked for it.. Noone gave it for him for free. I think his scores were okeyish.

TatiMax

On the Ice
An honor? He worked for it.. Noone gave it for him for free. I think his scores were okeyish.

Yes an honor for a new boy that comes from the first group to be the first to skate in the last group with legends in the sport :) why do you want to make the competition negative atmosphere? If judges wanted underscore him he not take 89 score.

qwertyskates

Medalist
Kolyada is a better skater than Boyang on the components. Kolyada is more well-rounded, but they are both young and each still have a lot to learn. Some of you seem to think that Boyang's scores should always be in the high 90s or higher regardless of how he skates. Well, Boyang is not Javi Fernandez yet, if ever.

Boyang gets a boost simply because of his quads and quad lutz/ triple. He doesn't have the skating skills of Han Yan, but it seems he has a better head for competition and more consistency on the quad-almighty quads. Quad lutz/ triple without being a more complete skater is jumping contest material only. But the sport is so gung-ho crazy over quads, it doesn't matter. The cart is put before the horse. The judges will reward Boyang with boosts on his PCS because of his quads/ quad-lutz, and then he will get help from U.S. coach Frank Carroll. But Boyang is already being given PCS higher than his actual abilities. He should be scored fairly on PCS now, and allow him to learn and improve before boosting his PCS because he can turn fast revolutions.

You seem to ONLY single out Boyang Jin in almost every one of your posts, is there something particularly personal?
He was scored very low PCS, even when he did put in a visible, appreciable effort in his steps, spins, transitions, etc., and let's not forget it is a very difficult, taxing and challenging SP. He kept up his energy, fight and presentation throughout, he was no slacker.

I was shocked how Shoma was scored such high PCS, at least 6 points clear of Jin's PCS, for a flawed, technically inferior and tentative performance that is very much short of his usual fire, and the same goes for Fernandez. Jin's PCS at 37 were lower than Max's, Brezina, and a good many others in the top tier with flawed skates and falls, so what's the problem here?

Maybe Mathman can help here, but Jin's ratio of PCS:Technical Elements is surely an outlier among the top tier.

Jin's high-ish scores were based almost entirely on his BV and execution of the technical elements, he wasn't gifted anything, he earned every point fairly.

Yet I don't see you up in arms about those scores where PCS:Technical Elements >1, clearly a sign that judges are rewarding skaters for outstanding presentation/skating skills/choreography, etc., over skaters' jumps, but in post after post, you only talked about Jin.

Otoh, I agree judging was really unfair to Julian, Chafik, and a few others...(the Armenian skater?) who didn't have powerful coaches or fed backing, but glad that Vasiliev got his scores right. No doubt the standing ovation helps!

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Yes an honor for a new boy that comes from the first group to be the first to skate in the last group with legends in the sport :) why do you want to make the competition negative atmosphere? If judges wanted underscore him he not take 89 score.

Negative? Do you even know what that word means? If judges wanted to reward him he would score over 90. They didn't and that's okay, but don't say it like he should be thankful to judges. He was one of very few skaters, who had quad in program and all jumps clean. + He performs well and his SS are nice too. So, no, it's not an HONOR. It's just a job WELL DONE. The judges score performance, not the 'seniority'.

TatiMax

On the Ice
Negative? Do you even know what that word means? If judges wanted to reward him he would score over 90. They didn't and that's okay, but don't say it like he should be thankful to judges. He was one of very few skaters, who had quad in program and all jumps clean. + He performs well and his SS are nice too. So, no, it's not an HONOR. It's just a job WELL DONE. The judges score performance, not the 'seniority'.

I am sorry. :)

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
I am sorry. :)

There's nothing to be sorry about, IMO. I agree with you that it is an honor to be in that final group for the FS. A deserved honor, but one nonetheless. When I look at those names, wow. I really hope it carries him along and he produces a fantastic FS so that it goes over to the following years.

And no, saying it's an honor doesn't mean he got it for free, or that he was gifted. WTH. That's not the connotation of the word at all.

Last edited:

da96103

Record Breaker

I think this is just a misunderstanding on the nuance on the usage of honor. Honor is a double-edged sword kind of word.

For example:

It was an honor to meet the pope. He is such a powerful yet humble man in the Catholic religion. (positive connotation)

You should be honored to meet the pope. Don't ask for more. He usually does not meet minions like you. (negative connotation)

So, one may know only one side of the definition on the other, unless one is well-verse in the English language.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i am not belittling liam... just answering people who said it was karma... nam had nothing to do with the decision... and all nam's scores internationally would have qualified him for the fp this season, except for what happened last night... none of liam's would have...

for the 3 spots... IMHO : only one country deserves it : Japan.... IMHO you need 3 men with consistent quads with chances of making the top ten to deserve 3 spots..... otherwise, you get a third guy destroyed by the competition... that's not nice...

I feel terrible for Nam who had a lot of pressure on his shoulders and couldn't deliver last night.... that 3 spot deal shouldn't have been mentioned... all that should have been said was : Nam has a better chance to do better than Liam... and he did.... until he popped his 3A....

FWIW, Liam's total score at Triglav exceeded his ISU PB (altho' Triglav scores don't count toward ISU PBs).
I have watched only Liam's SP at Triglav, and I enjoyed it, even without reliable jumps.

Let's see, Nam's SP score here at Worlds was 61.61.
Liam's SP score at Triglav was 64.40 .... and Liam was the gold medalist there.
So to use your word, no need to belittle Liam.
If we can be supportive of Nam, we can be supportive of Liam.

Sure, the reality is that Liam will need to jockey for spots on the national/world/Olympic teams in upcoming seasons. Thus it is esp. heartbreaking that he once had a Worlds spot in his hand this season.

For Liam, his withdrawal from Worlds was all about three spots -- if Skate Canada's press release is to be believed. (And we know that you like to give Skate Canada the benefit of the doubt.)

This decision is about performance and giving our country the best opportunity to obtain three spots for the World Championships next year,” explained Firus.
https://skatecanada.ca/2016/03/liam...-2016-isu-world-figure-skating-championships/ (emphasis added)​

That is why I imagine that Liam's head must be spinning tonight.