2016 World Championships Mens Short Program | Page 72 | Golden Skate

2016 World Championships Mens Short Program

deedee1

Record Breaker
It's just big :roll5::roll5: when judges utelize PCS for placements.... Looking at names of skaters and its difference in score-wise, a bit questionable to me. Though I rooted for Shoma, I wouldn't have complained if he had placed 5th or 6th.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
i hope he got some last week... he had a tough outing at his other assignment...

FWIW, Liam's total score at Triglav exceeded his ISU PB (altho' Triglav scores don't count toward ISU PBs).
I have watched only Liam's SP at Triglav, and I enjoyed it, even without reliable jumps.

Let's see, Nam's SP score here at Worlds was 61.61.
Liam's SP score at Triglav was 64.40 .... and Liam was the gold medalist there.
So to use your word, no need to belittle Liam.
If we can be supportive of Nam, we can be supportive of Liam.

Sure, the reality is that Liam will need to jockey for spots on the national/world/Olympic teams in upcoming seasons. Thus it is esp. heartbreaking that he once had a Worlds spot in his hand this season.

For Liam, his withdrawal from Worlds was all about three spots -- if Skate Canada's press release is to be believed. (And we know that you like to give Skate Canada the benefit of the doubt.)

This decision is about performance and giving our country the best opportunity to obtain three spots for the World Championships next year,” explained Firus.
https://skatecanada.ca/2016/03/liam...-2016-isu-world-figure-skating-championships/ (emphasis added)​

That is why I imagine that Liam's head must be spinning tonight.

Last edited:

bobbob

Medalist
How on earth did Shoma get 2.23 for that 3a and 43+ for pcs? Are the judges blind?

Agreed. I actually thought Boyang had better interpretation and musicality than Shoma in this segment, Shoma obviously has better skating skills but I actually preferred watching Boyang to Shoma's very odd program which lacks artistry.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
So much to get caught up.

1. Hanyu is king. jumps like butter out of nowhere but i still think he is marked too high for pcs. i know he is loved but he is gifted a little too much by the judges.
2. Fernandez ho hum ; i would have Chan second even with that horrid axel splat. But the judges don't seem to like Chan as much and the pc system needs revampoing as the judges cannot distinguish the skaters enogh
3. Han and nam so sad. i knew it would happen liam lovers picking on nam and vice vesa and whatever (ok nothing compared th chuckm and all his dissenters)
no excuse but nam looks so different; he really sprouted; i feel bad still
4. Good job max and adam. i still think max often picks programs in teh hope of being deemed artistic but it does not work
5. adam good fight.
6. yay for koyada
7. Fernandez has a wonderful personality but his skating is a bit sloppy - reminds me of Candelero - charisma but refinement is not there andhsi pcs are too generous.
8. no miracle for Denis Ten this time
9. Bychenko was a let down after Euros
10. Didn't know pdiddy was skating; he seems a bit old to skate but should be musical i guess
11. these fans are not particularly high on my list. seem a bit dead
12. i thinkk the pushing for quads is leading to smoe messy skater other than hanyu.
its hanyus to lose as i said before.

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
I scream/gasped in shock 3 times today. Once was for Han Yan's missed combo, once was for Nam's popped axel, and the 3rd was for Denis's fall on the combo. :scard8:

Fun fact: The older ladies next to me didn't like Patrick or Javi's program, and thought Yuzu's was just "pretty good" lol. They were hard to please, one clap per skater and no SO's :laugh:

Their programs might not cater to these ladies' tastes. I guess they like girls' skating more. :laugh:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
So, my heart is breaking seeing that Han Yan did not make it to Free Program. It's the biggest disaster ever :cry:
---

1. I'm super happy for Mika! I knew he had it in him :hap10:
2. Michal one fall, but not UR, good. :thumbsup:
3. Yay for Deniss Vasiljevs! We believed in you! :clap:
4. A little sad for Denis, but we all knew it will be hard for him this seasonw ith all these injuries. :sad21:
5. Congrats to Brendan on 17th place!
6. I'm glad I didn't watch it live, too much drama :drama:

AprilS

On the Ice
One of the judges gave Adam a -1 on his 3Lz. I stopped trying to figure them out a long time ago.

I think some of the judges may have thought he didn't have sufficient steps before it? Or that's what one of the commentators said on CBC iirc.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
just arrived at work, in the very morning just after waking up fired up my wreck of a laptop only to check protocols - have to say I have a lot to catch up regarding Men's SP (from today I'm turning nocturnal, I just HAVE TO watch FD).

More coherent thoughts will come probably after work when I'll have a chance to re-watch at least top 10, but for now shall I say I'm super proud and happy fro Mikhail and Deniss V. - both looking really good on protocols, not judging PCS, because didn't see performances.

Top 3 as most predicted - as for Yuzuru (is that a new WR? I'd be very grateful for confirming this, have no time for now to catch on all 97 pages...), looking at the fire and desire to compete and win in him lately I can only give a bow to his ability to focus, to produce such masterful performances, these jumps are like butter indeed, quads especially, there is an incredible ease and lightness in them, no forcing himself which makes watching it a dream. Bit disappointed for Javier - expected a firecracker of that flamenco masterpiece, but there was a fall...will see if this affected heavily on performance. As for Patrick - I'm not a fan at all of that SP, for me it's to cheesy, would be much better in more formal attire and more 'ballroom' in style, but there goes Chopin masterpiece so I wouldn't write him off from silver now (but counting on Javier to produce a bang of his Sinatra FS which I love the most this season from all men).

Sad for Denis, but competition is not over, it's probably impossible to medal (but who knows?), but fingers crossed for good redemption skate tomorrow.

Looks like a good effort from Adam - happy for him, looking forward to watch his SP.

yuki

Final Flight
Top 3 as most predicted - as for Yuzuru (is that a new WR? I'd be very grateful for confirming this, have no time for now to catch on all 97 pages...)

No, the WR is still his score from GPF, 110.95. The score he got here (110.56) was very close, though.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I'm kind of sad that Hanyu forces himself to smile at the end of the program, he did that at GPF as well. I loved that fierce look at the NHK trophy!
Kolyada was underscored imo, I would have him in 4th position, but he skated early and that explains it. So the judging was pretty fair. Vasiljevs was great and I was dissapointed by Ten naturally.
I feel blessed with the men nowadays, what a joy to watch!

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I have a theory, it could be bunnies...

j/k, but my theory is not a nice one. One thing I guess we learned is that we have to say goodbye to the notion that a score over 90 says , wow, that was a perfect skate, the way it did before. And second I think there are some skaters that are judged for their 'potential'. I call it the Hanyu Effect. All the skaters over 90 (Chan, Fernandez, Uno) skated before Yuzuru. And they all made mistakes. Judges couldn't have know how Yuzuru would skate. But I think they might've realized that if there was to be another Yuzuru record skate, there would be no chance for anyone to beat Yuzuru for the gold medal. Even with the inflated score of 90, Shoma is 20 points away. There is much more judging going on on things that are not what we see put out there on the ice, i.e. potential. So that Fernandez got 98 on that skate has much more to do with Hanyu's scores, than the actual performance of Fernandez.

Lota

Record Breaker
:shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

I was unable to watch the Men's competition last night, and let's just say that waking up and finding out that Han Yan and Nam Nguyen didn't make it to the FS was not what I was expecting...

HanDomi

Record Breaker
I have a theory, it could be bunnies...

j/k, but my theory is not a nice one. One thing I guess we learned is that we have to say goodbye to the notion that a score over 90 says , wow, that was a perfect skate, the way it did before. And second I think there are some skaters that are judged for their 'potential'. I call it the Hanyu Effect. All the skaters over 90 (Chan, Fernandez, Uno) skated before Yuzuru. And they all made mistakes. Judges couldn't have know how Yuzuru would skate. But I think they might've realized that if there was to be another Yuzuru record skate, there would be no chance for anyone to beat Yuzuru for the gold medal. Even with the inflated score of 90, Shoma is 20 points away. There is much more judging going on on things that are not what we see put out there on the ice, i.e. potential. So that Fernandez got 98 on that skate has much more to do with Hanyu's scores, than the actual performance of Fernandez.

I talked after NHK that after Hanyu records now scores of other top skaters will go up just because of that, and GPF showed I was right, 90 is not any longer impressive for judges when Hanyu is cracking 110

zebobes

Final Flight
One of the judges gave Adam a -1 on his 3Lz. I stopped trying to figure them out a long time ago.

Actually, that was merited, because while the jump was beautiful, there weren't any steps into it like should be required for a solo jump. I guess everyone else either thought there was enough positive points to balance it out, or they forgot about that rule.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I talked after NHK that after Hanyu records now scores of other top skaters will go up just because of that, and GPF showed I was right, 90 is not any longer impressive for judges when Hanyu is cracking 110

Yeah, that's exactly it. If we imagine Fernandez skating like he did at Worlds at the European championships, do you believe he would've gotten almost 100? I don't. Because there was no Hanyu at Europeans. 100 is the new 90. At least for the top men, the 'potentials'.