2016 World Championships Mens Short Program | Page 70 | Golden Skate

2016 World Championships Mens Short Program

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i hope he got some last week... he had a tough outing at his other assignment...

honestly, i think skate canada, if their true goal was to send 3 men next year should have only sent patrick... chances of him getting in top 2 are hard... but chances of top two skaters getting 13 points are harder...

in some ways, skate canada wished that nam would do better and would acquire the experience... next year, canadian top 5 may be patrick, kevin, nam, elladj and nicolas... so i have to unfortunately say that liam may not even make the national team.... all the other guys have quads.....
Yes, but I hope that Liam is getting even more hugs than Nam tonight.

Liam did not withdraw from his first (and possibly only) Worlds for this outcome: zero chance of three spots for next year after the SP.

- - - Updated - - -

patrick is skating last in the fs
Yup... and his success rate this season up until Worlds was 7 out of 10 clean triple axels... so it's unfortunate that it happened at this time. Otherwise he could have been ahead of Javi, skated after Jin in the FS, and replicated his 4CC skate, right? :biggrin: ;)

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
he was much closer at the smaller international event after 4cc
He wasn't even close at 4CC (24.35 when he needed 34). So silly of him to go for the quads probably knowing he wasn't fully rotating them. He goes for two quads (one UR fall, one << fall) that get 6.7 points total (4.7 after deductions), when a simple 3S+3L or 3F+3T (both of which he did in the FS) and a solo lutz would have gotten around 15 points, which would have been enough.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
while slowly digesting what I saw in the SP, Adam comes to mind. YES! Amazing performance. His skates kept up with his performance and I looooved it.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And I felt the crowd's reactions were totally different. The crowd wanted to see Adam do well. I didn't get the same feeling for Max.

Well, I know what you mean. I had the same feeling, in dance, that the crowd wanted the Shib Sibs to do well. Not so much Chock and Bates. Which pained me. But, in fact, the Shibs did skate better, this time. They have the right program, and this seems to be their time.

And I believe the difference isn't just about who the crowd wants to see do well. It's also about what the performance, the music, the program itself, the emotional resonance, and the skater all together make them feel.

I'm sorry, but Max's performance of his program tonight felt difficult and labored to me. (Of course, I watched the stream, I wasn't in the arena.) I like Max, I love his genuine personality and I love it when that gets expressed through his skating. I want him to do well. But for me, and I figure for a lot of other people too, an extra quality, or transcendence, happens when skaters skate beautifully a program which you know is crazy difficult, but the skaters make it look effortless. It's another piece of the puzzle.

On another note, I think it's very cool:cool::cool: that you got your wish to "get" Yuzuru.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
No, Liam might not have made the FP either. But he was the one named to the spot, and he was clearly forced into giving it up for the sake of the "three spots"...three spots that now won't happen.

Liam said he gave up his spot for the good of the team but he didn't say it was for 3 spots next year. We all knew neither Liam nor Nam had a good chance of finishing well enough at Worlds this year to earn 3 spots for next year. As I said before, by withdrawing, Liam could let Nam take the responsibility and the blame for failure to win 3 spots, and it's still better for Team Canada for Nam to have more Worlds experience since he is the future of Canada's Mens skating.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
I scream/gasped in shock 3 times today. Once was for Han Yan's missed combo, once was for Nam's popped axel, and the 3rd was for Denis's fall on the combo. :scard8:

Fun fact: The older ladies next to me didn't like Patrick or Javi's program, and thought Yuzu's was just "pretty good" lol. They were hard to please, one clap per skater and no SO's :laugh:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm sorry, but Max's performance of his program tonight felt difficult and labored to me. (Of course, I watched the stream, I wasn't in the arena.) I like Max, I love his genuine personality and I love it when that gets expressed through his skating. I want him to do well. But for me, and I figure for a lot of other people too, an extra quality, or transcendence, happens when skaters skate beautifully a program which you know is crazy difficult, but the skaters make it look effortless. It's another piece of the puzzle.

Max had a difficult performance, yes. But I thought what the crowd failed to acknowledge was the recovery from the error on the 4S - the 3A was absolutely FLAWLESS, and yet it got barely half the cheer that Adam's pitched-forward toe-heavy 3A got. And that 3Lz-3T at the end was a thing of absolute beauty. It was like as soon as the hand went down, the crowd completely switched off. And that's not fair. Max is not Adam. Max will never be Adam. Max isn't some sassy eye-rolling "I'm a witch" guy. He's the quiet guy who works his tail off behind the scenes. It's not fair that the crowd punishes him for effectively having a different personality type.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
max is sexier ;) but please, do not belittle adam ;) to each his own
Max had a difficult performance, yes. But I thought what the crowd failed to acknowledge was the recovery from the error on the 4S - the 3A was absolutely FLAWLESS, and yet it got barely half the cheer that Adam's pitched-forward toe-heavy 3A got. And that 3Lz-3T at the end was a thing of absolute beauty. It was like as soon as the hand went down, the crowd completely switched off. And that's not fair. Max is not Adam. Max will never be Adam. Max isn't some sassy eye-rolling "I'm a witch" guy. He's the quiet guy who works his tail off behind the scenes. It's not fair that the crowd punishes him for effectively having a different personality type.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
max is sexier ;) but please, do not belittle adam ;) to each his own

Maybe Max should conveniently have to take off his shirt right before he skates to make a last-minute adjustment :laugh: That might get the crowd going, but perhaps not the way he intends for a Black Swan performance! :eek::

apons575

Rinkside
I would just like to say, I am so proud of both Adam and Max (and hey, Grant TOO, he certainly is within striking distance of a top 10 finish!). They have been facing so much criticism, and yes, their programs were not perfect. However, they're keep their heads on straight and are exhibiting a lot of pride skating on home soil. I am so happy that Worlds has come to Boston this year, because I think Team USA skaters needed a little kick in the pants lately. I hope Adam and Max just keep their heads on straight, and we could possibly see them keep those 3 spots. It's a very thin chance, but it's a chance. I would just be proud to see them do great free skates, enjoy themselves and skate well for the US! Good luck guys!!!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
MUAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA LOL

i have to say that from many people posting, seeing patrick live is special... so yeah... if they didn't get that, especially tonight as he was so on (except for the axel but the performance was really on).... well.. maybe they need to check their meds ;)

Was their anyone they did like?

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
they can do it.. placing 6 and 7.... most likely call.. perhaps 5 and 8....
I would just like to say, I am so proud of both Adam and Max (and hey, Grant TOO, he certainly is within striking distance of a top 10 finish!). They have been facing so much criticism, and yes, their programs were not perfect. However, they're keep their heads on straight and are exhibiting a lot of pride skating on home soil. I am so happy that Worlds has come to Boston this year, because I think Team USA skaters needed a little kick in the pants lately. I hope Adam and Max just keep their heads on straight, and we could possibly see them keep those 3 spots. It's a very thin chance, but it's a chance. I would just be proud to see them do great free skates, enjoy themselves and skate well for the US! Good luck guys!!!