2016 Lombardia Trophy Mens FS | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2016 Lombardia Trophy Mens FS

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
That's worth a lot. Thanks StitchMonkey.

I think it should be a pretty good confidence boost heading into Skate America. It actually was a pretty good skate for him. A perfect best (TES), a new most valuable 3A, two positive GOE 3As, a perfect score on a spin. Good for him!

Sydney Rose

Final Flight
I have mixed feeling towards Shoma's FS. The first half is very nice, he connects to the music quite well, the choreography is relevant too, I particularly like the StSq. But the second part, when the vocals kicks in, is quite underwhelming. The vocals are very passionate but the choreo could not catch up with it, in fact at one moment or two I feel like there is no choreography and connection to the music., and to be honest I think Shoma's a little bit too reserved for this rather wild piece. I hope they will fix it later, but nevertheless its a nice program.

Shoma lacks the stature -- both literally and figuratively -- to effectively skate to his FS music.

Those vocals at the end . . . . :noshake:

Given that he came in second to Jason in the FS, perhaps he and his team will rethink this unfortunate choice.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Shoma doesn't have enough of a powerful presence to perform a tango, lyrics or not. Bad choice of packaging ... I think he can do a lot of style, perhaps this is the only one he cannot do LOL... and yet, they chose it.

Gardenquilt

Spectator
After watching both of Jason Brown's programs here, I believe I see him jumping up into the air much higher than before. Those triple axels especially reflected that improvement.

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
I love Shoma's LP, especially the part where he was racing with the beat of the music. <3

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
After watching both of Jason Brown's programs here, I believe I see him jumping up into the air much higher than before. Those triple axels especially reflected that improvement.

Hi Gardenquilt, welcome to Golden Skate! Post often and post long! :)

As for Jason's quad: It looks borderline -- the blade lands right at the 1/4 mark, though given the fact that the video quality isn't the best, I'm reluctant to say for sure. A Shin Amano-type TC would have done a < but seems this tech panel gave it the benefit of the doubt, which is in their bounds. Anyway, the tech panel had no qualms on a 4T<< yesterday, so I don't see why they would suddenly look the other way two days later.

We'll probably never know this, but I'd be interested to know whether the tech panel opted to review it afterwards. If it wasn't reviewed that's a good sign, but it's even better if it was and they decided to say it was fully rotated.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
And the Anna Gandolfi Memorial Award for best performance by a male skater.

Anna Grandolfi -- with an R.

Mirai won for ladies. The official wording on the plaque says that it's for components (don't mind me, I'm just nitpicking ;)):

Congratulations to Jason and Mirai.

Cute moment during the presentation when Jason almost dropped the plaque thingy (not his fault; I think it was sort of collapsing as he was holding it).
BTW, I am liking the man-bun :cool: more and more.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Are you kidding me? You can clearly see his blade turning on the ice, which ultimately caused him the fall.
Perhaps, one of his better attempt....

If you clicked on the link you would see I was not kidding. It is the tech controller's opinion that counts. Not yours, not mine, not anyone on this board. Officially it was rotated... that is what matters. I would not be happy with a clearly rotated quad that was marked down for BS reason... so i feel free to take joy in this official ruling. Good enough for the call is good enough for me.

chameleon

On the Ice
Shoma's FS has improved a lot since he first debuted it earlier this summer. There he was way too soft and sloppy, but he's really improved on the sharpness and tension. He still has a lot to improve, it feels like he's actively thinking about how he has to move so he isn't giving off the power and confidence he needs to truly sell it, but maybe by the end of the season he will.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
sigh... one thing we didn't have to deal with last year... the go jason versus the we don't like jason comments...

I guess it's a sign that he is truly back and healthy ;)

I am not a fan nor a non-fan of Jason. I think I can be objective about how I perceive his skating.

I thought he showed great flow and more speed than most. I thought his 3A was so much better than in past years. I was disappointed when he doubled the 3Loop... that were the couple points he needed to win the title. As his content is much lower than other skaters on top, he has to remain error free. That is the key for him (error on the quad is okay... but that's all) .

I am still not a believer of his quad.. however, this attempt here gave him 5.30 points if I count properly the deduction etc... which is still better than adding a second double axel... so why not? Go for it... and you know what, he did go for his quads... they were not tentative attempts.

and TBH, Shoma's quads weren't that great today... give the guy a break... he's really pushing his limits.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
that's correct. I am still not convinced it's in him but time will tell. He is a fast learner and we will see how he does on the GP circuit...
Shoma's FS has improved a lot since he first debuted it earlier this summer. There he was way too soft and sloppy, but he's really improved on the sharpness and tension. He still has a lot to improve, it feels like he's actively thinking about how he has to move so he isn't giving off the power and confidence he needs to truly sell it, but maybe by the end of the season he will.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
sigh... one thing we didn't have to deal with last year... the go jason versus the we don't like jason comments...

I guess it's a sign that he is truly back and healthy ;)

I am not a fan nor a non-fan of Jason. I think I can be objective about how I perceive his skating.

I thought he showed great flow and more speed than most. I thought his 3A was so much better than in past years. I was disappointed when he doubled the 3Loop... that were the couple points he needed to win the title. As his content is much lower than other skaters on top, he has to remain error free. That is the key for him (error on the quad is okay... but that's all) .

I am still not a believer of his quad.. however, this attempt here gave him 5.30 points if I count properly the deduction etc... which is still better than adding a second double axel... so why not? Go for it... and you know what, he did go for his quads... they were not tentative attempts.

and TBH, Shoma's quads weren't that great today... give the guy a break... he's really pushing his limits.

Haha, it's no different than you boy, PChiddy, no? That's OK. He's a top skater, he's going to get comments from both sides.

Regarding your bolded point above, you're right. If he keeps getting at least full credit (with the fall deduction) it's going to be worth it to attempt it.

For reference, here's Jason's previous quad attempts (there aren't many) and all but two are from the same free skate program:

2015 4CC SP: 4T<< 2.00 (TES: 36.50; he also botched his 3A<)
2015 Ondrej Nepala Trophy FS: 4T<< 2.20 (TES: 79.69; he did not fall, but two-footed and got -3 across the board; -GOE on both 3As, but they were deemed fully rotated)
2015 Skate America FS: 4T< 4.00 -1 fall (TES: 75.57; fell got a full -4; also got 3A<< and 3T< (on his 3F-3T combo)
2015 Ice Challenge FS: 4T< 4.00 -1 fall (TES 73.36; fell, also 3A<-2T and 3A<<)
2016 Lombardia Trophy SP 4T<< 2.20 (TES: 41.38; rest of program mostly clean, small -GOE on 3F-3T combo)
2016 Lombardia Trophy FS 4T 6.30 -1 fall (TES: 88.91; rest of program clean, save for the double Loop).

So the numbers are pretty clear: Jason improvement isn't only on the quad, but in moving on and hitting everything else. His 4T attempt at 2015 4CC was way premature and it got to him, resulting in a 9th place finish after the SP.

It's worth noting that he hasn't missed a single 3A so far this season. He -- as in past seasons-- has a back-loaded layout with six jumping passes after the halfway mark, including a 3A, 3F-3T and a 3Z-1L-3S. Along with his usual good spins and steps, this puts him a good spot. I agree that not much has changed as far as having to be pretty clean (or close to it) given the much tougher content of his competitors, but he's in a much better position than a year ago.

Shoma's layout is pretty insane. Basically high-risk; high-reward. Quick calcuation of 93.18 BV if everything is rotated and attempted (and level 4 on everything) -- with +GOE, he can easily get 100+ TES, maybe even 110+ TES. Jason's BV on the other hand, adding in the 3Lo, is 83.94. Shoma had a 9.24 BV advantage coming in on the planned elements sheet. So Jason, as always is playing the +GOE game, and Shoma is going to play the high BV game (though he gets really nice +GOE on his elements too). It will be interesting to see how the strategies play out this season.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Haha, it's no different than you boy, PChiddy, no? That's OK. He's a top skater, he's going to get comments from both sides.

the difference with my boy as you say it, is that Patrick is incontestably historical for his sport, not only in the style of his skating but in his achievements. Jason is still young but hasn't medaled in world championships and olympics. In other words, the attacks Patrick get are for me, even more biased than perhaps all other skaters, because he has been at the top, has proven himself. But, you know, I don't want to elaborate on this more because I certainly don't want to make this post about bashing Patrick VS bashing Jason.... they are both unacceptable ;) yet so common...

Regarding your analysis, yup. Even without protocols, I think we can safely say that since coming back from injury, Jason is stronger and skating better.

I wish him to keep getting more and more comfortable and clean.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
the difference with my boy as you say it, is that Patrick is incontestably historical for his sport, not only in the style of his skating but in his achievements. Jason is still young but hasn't medaled in world championships and olympics. In other words, the attacks Patrick get are for me, even more biased than perhaps all other skaters, because he has been at the top, has proven himself. But, you know, I don't want to elaborate on this more because I certainly don't want to make this post about bashing Patrick VS bashing Jason.... they are both unacceptable ;) yet so common...

Regarding your analysis, yup. Even without protocols, I think we can safely say that since coming back from injury, Jason is stronger and skating better.

I wish him to keep getting more and more comfortable and clean.

No doubt, for sure. Wasn't trying to make a comparison of achievements, just that if you're a top skater, it's natural for people to react strongly one way or another. FWIW, Jason (and Kori) clearly have a deep respect for Patrick -- Kori's mentioned that he's doing the Piano FS because she wants Jason to develop and show off "Patrick Chan skating skills" and I know Jason's mentioned several times how much he respects and love Patrick's skating, including in this 2012 joint-interview with Joshua Farris.

(And that interview makes me sad Joshua isn't around anymore. While it took me a while to warm up to his skating, I absolutely loved their rivalry and how it pushed them to do better).

Last edited: