2016 Lombardia Trophy Mens FS | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2016 Lombardia Trophy Mens FS

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
I have mixed feeling towards Shoma's FS. The first half is very nice, he connects to the music quite well, the choreography is relevant too, I particularly like the StSq. But the second part, when the vocals kicks in, is quite underwhelming. The vocals are very passionate but the choreo could not catch up with it, in fact at one moment or two I feel like there is no choreography and connection to the music., and to be honest I think Shoma's a little bit too reserved for this rather wild piece. I hope they will fix it later, but nevertheless its a nice program.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Shoma, Jason, and Max.

FYI, the victory ceremony is scheduled for 16:45 local time -- after Senior Dance.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH

But the parts we saw - oh, I'm in love! This is such a wonderful program! I can't wait until he gets it all into his legs! It's so gorgeous! He moves so beautifully in it! And I love that shirt! And SO FAR THIS HAS LIVED UP TO MOST OF MY EXPECTATIONS EXCEPT I DON'T FREAKING KNOW HOW IT ENDED ...

I am cautiously optimistic about the program :) ... I hope the Autumn Classic will give us an opportunity to see it in full.
Enjoyed his movement. Good job to Phillip Mills and Max.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I think we have more like a blind tech panel.

Well the tech panel is all that matters...this was no more egregiously generous than some of Gracie's flip calls. It may have been generous, but it was within the standard deviation of generous I would say.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Update:
Sounds as if victory ceremonies are starting now -- earlier than scheduled.

Congrats to Jason re the rotated quad :).

charmblade

Final Flight
If Brown hadn't of tried any quads he would have won so easily.

And then people would be complaining about how Jason doesn't have a quad and isn't even trying. Whereas now he has a fully rotated quad in competition under his belt. IMHO that is more important than getting gold instead of silver at this Senior B.

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
There is something about Jason's program that comes across better in person than on the internet. At Skate America last year it made me cry and this morning it stiffens my resolve to make it to KC in January to see it live again.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I guess it doesn't matter so much for them to win senior b as it is just test event.

It's true it's just a test event and they wanted to test the quad toe but if they hadn't he would have won in a landslide.

And then people would be complaining about how Jason doesn't have a quad and isn't even trying. Whereas now he has a fully rotated quad in competition under his belt. IMHO that is more important than getting gold instead of silver at this Senior B.

Most people would not be complaining about absence of quad but anyway it's considered necessary so he did it rather than take an easy win.

badknees

Medalist
I'm always excited for a Lion King program, but these cuts are awful. Seriously, nothing to do with Max's skating, but this program is really bad. It's kind of a blessing the stream cut out :hopelessness:

And if you're going to wear an illusion shirt painted to look like bodypaint, don't then go and ruin it by wearing stark black pants (even if i appreciate how tight they are)

I think this will be a great vehicle for Max once his team reworks the music and he gets a little more time to get comfortable with the choreo. And new pants.

Anyway, sorry Karne. I know you were looking forward to this :console:

I agree. This program has bad music cuts, not great choreo and a really bad costume. The top looks like it came from the Halloween costume store rack. I really don't understand why a top coach like Tom Z can rarely produce good choreo and costume packages for his skaters. Max's strengths are not on the lyrical side. Max is an Elvis Stoko type. He needs big music, strong rhythm, powerful music that builds. What's with Tom Z that he can't see this? Picking programs that may seem to be the going thing with the judges is always a mistake. It's so obvious when a program does not suit a skater.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Shoma's FS has really improved since he debuted it in June in Sapporo. I am liking it more and more. Love the costume. I'm a big fan of Piazzola but prefer music without vocals. Everyone thought his SP music was crazy last year, but it gradually grew on people. We'll see if the same happens with this FS. I attribute the spins prob to first competition jitters. His spins are usually beautiful. Don't know what the traveling thing is all about. Hope he includes a blur spin in either the SP or FS. Pretty sure he's planning it. Shoma's work with Stephane Lambiel helped him improve so much on his expression. He worked a lot on footwork while training in the U.S., and I see big improvement with his steps. So excited to watch his growth this year and can't wait to see him at Skate America.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
It's true it's just a test event and they wanted to test the quad toe but if they hadn't he would have won in a landslide.

Most people would not be complaining about absence of quad but anyway it's considered necessary so he did it rather than take an easy win.

Didn't Jason win??

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Shoma's FS has really improved since he debuted it in June in Sapporo. I am liking it more and more. Love the shirt, although I think with his tiny frame he would look taller and a bit better if wore all one color. I'm a big fan of Piazzola but prefer music without vocals. Everyone thought his SP music was crazy last year, but it gradually grew on people. We'll see if the same happens with this FS. I attribute the spins prob to first competition jitters. His spins are usually beautiful. Don't know what the traveling thing is all about. Hope he includes a blur spin in either the SP or FS. Pretty sure he's planning it. Shoma's work with Stephane Lambiel helped him improve so much on his expression. So excited to watch his growth this year and can't wait to see him at Skate America.

I love both of his costumes, but especially the FS one - I think it's very beautiful and unique and don't care that it's bull-fightery. The FS music on the other hand... I'm not a huge fan of Piazzolla (aren't there any other tango composers???) but generally okay with Tango and with vocals, but I found these particular vocals jarring and grating, however authentic they may be. Maybe they will rethink that aspect of his music - I hope so. I do think he's becoming a better performer. I'm sure the tech stuff will fall into place - first comp of the season and all that.