2016 Finlandia Trophy Mens SP | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2016 Finlandia Trophy Mens SP

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Patrick's PCS here are lower than at Trophée Eric Bompard 2015 and Grand Prix Final 2015, events where he majorly messed up his SP. He could do worse, but then you'd likely see lower PCS marks for the other men too. :eek:hwell:

mcq

Record Breaker
An 8.00 SS for Patrick, only 0.25 above Kovtun?? Very, very unusual...

Yeah, this feels unusual. I think they could have scored him lower on performance to reflect the performance more (due to execution of jumps) but someone's skating skills mark should not be affected so much when someone botched their jumps, i think? :scratch2:

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Sorry Mikhail...I'm already bored with this program, and the FS is practically the same thing. :eek:hwell:
I suspect Mikhail is bored with it too. He needs to rediscover his enthusiasm and own that program. It doesn't work with a half-hearted approach. It's not the Russian Fed that's going to suffer if he doesn't.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Saw Patrick's. Gorgeous skating. Sure. Steps out of jumps. But give me a break with those low PCS. A joke :) nobody in this field is even close to Patrick's skating skills. Oh well.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

SS for Patrick is 8.63, Kovtun and Kolyada both 7.88 and Nathan 7.58. PCS for Patrick is 42.92 and the other three from37.75 to 38.59.

I find the PCS for Patrick low for what what he did on ice. However, at this event, individual PCS in the 8s are given only to the winners of Ladies and Pairs, to the top 2 in Ice Dance, and in Mens SP, only to Patrick who's in third place.

At US IFSC, both Rippon and Brown received 8's in both SP and LP. No Men scored in the 8's in Nebelhom, and, in Canada Autumn Classic Hanyu was given mostly 9's (45.35 PCS) in the SP except for the (in)famous J1, and 87.67 PCS in the LP.

I therefore find with his performance and in comparison to Brown, Rippon, and Hanyu, Patrick seems to be underscored in PCS here. Not sure yet if it is event specific low scoring for all. FWIW, this is the first time I voiced a different personal opinion on Patrick's scores. Just prompted to do fact checking and curious enough to do a comparison to see if there is an overall low scoring for all due to early season subpar performances.

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
Wait they gave 42.5 to Patrick and he is ahead of Kovtun in PCS with one point? :unsure: is it a joke? judges need glasses honestly.... how in this world Kovtun is 1 pts below him? (even with bad jumps and 1 fall) I thought he deserved at least 44

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Wait they gave 42.5 to Patrick and he is ahead of Kovtun in PCS with one point? :unsure: is it a joke? judges need glasses honestly.... how in this world Kovtun is 1 pts below him? (even with bad jumps and 1 fall) I thought he deserved at least 44

Kovtun got 38 pcs.

Marin

Record Breaker
aw , sorry my bad, but 42 is still low for that skating I think....

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Kovtun is in the lead????? Cool! :laugh2:

Why? he was great here: the coach change is paying off: i can see tons of improvements on the spins and the posture, while the jumps are still unreliable.

Wait for the LP, usually he doesn't skate a great SP and a great LP at the same event.

I don't know what judges are drinking in Finland these days, but those scores are a little ridiculous.

BTW Maxim had always received >40 points on the PCS last season in the SP, so in a way he was underscored as well.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Everyone is wearing black this season- only Yuzuru is shining in white :luv17: :devil:

I wouldn't exactly say Mr. Hanyu's white costume is a winner either though. Black maybe boring but some people didn't think Hanyu's costume really helped his program and moreover, white pants - yikes. It is hard to pull off. It really shows everything and not necessarily in a good way not to mention are you trying to match the ice and sink into it or show off your skating. Save it for the wedding ? So much white too. I guess it is all black and white this year lol - too bad the skating isn't that way. It is a roller coaster I have to admit I thought I might be excited about all these quads but not really the skating is suffering. Pairs and men's could be a roll the dice splat fest.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
aw , sorry my bad, but 42 is still low for that skating I think....

I agree. Patrick was in a different league. He flowed on ice and every movement is with purpose and with the music. The others showed good skating while Patrick was sublime and was an artist. But details and nuances don't add up to much in the scoring.

Tolstoj said:
I don't know what judges are drinking in Finland these days, but those scores are a little ridiculous.

The scores are not as ridiculous as MaxSwagg erroneously reported. Check my previous post for the correct scores and some comparisons.

happylife

On the Ice
If Chan's score is 60 which is still too high for you. I'm so sick of that kind comments. What a joke. :(
iamchrislao[I said:
[/I];1503607]so sick of Chan getting held up. that was such a sloppy skate. yet, regardless of how he actually skates, he is assured of an 80-ish score. what a joke

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
so sick of Chan getting held up. that was such a sloppy skate. yet, regardless of how he actually skates, he is assured of an 80-ish score. what a joke

The jumps were horrible but skating skills in fairness are the best in the world even in this program. Look at Hanyu - whose SP I just don't get and i find it a huge step backwards he got 88 and change without the ss of Chan though I agree technically Hanyu is far better - though last week Mr. H had issues with spins too. Its early folks and the scoring at this event has been more than suspect and not so much on the generous side. Osmond seemed undermark in both programs and in the pairs -mind you it has been a splatfest- in part because it is early but I am now seeing a trend - perhaps technically things are proceeding too fast. This does add excitement because now it is a toss up who will win moreso. And with "us" on this site you will see us jumping ship fast with each skate lol. It is going to be a roller coaster folks. Sometimes for every step forward you might take two backwards. So while it is awesome to see the quad emphasis - it seems to be at a cost and I wonder if it effects the body ie. Hanyu, Chen, Ten..

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
3:18

Was Patrick Chan bleeding from the nose?

If so where is the -5 points deduction Elizabet Tursynbayeva got last season at JW?

Meoima

Match Penalty
The jumps were horrible but skating skills in fairness are the best in the world even in this program. Look at Hanyu - whose SP I just don't get and i find it a huge step backwards he got 88 and change without the ss of Chan though I agree technically Hanyu is far better - though last week Mr. H had issues with spins too. Its early folks and the scoring at this event has been more than suspect and not so much on the generous side. Osmond seemed undermark in both programs and in the pairs -mind you it has been a splatfest- in part because it is early but I am now seeing a trend - perhaps technically things are proceeding too fast. This does add excitement because now it is a toss up who will win moreso. And with "us" on this site you will see us jumping ship fast with each skate lol. It is going to be a roller coaster folks. Sometimes for every step forward you might take two backwards. So while it is awesome to see the quad emphasis - it seems to be at a cost and I wonder if it effects the body ie. Hanyu, Chen, Ten..
Well, of course you have your opinion however it doesn't mean it's fact.
The truth is that Yuzuru's SP is packed with transitions (and I haven't mentioned the Quad Loop in between the spread eagle), the step sequence is crazily difficult and much more difficult than his previous step sequence.

In my opinion, it's not right to say Yuzuru's new SP is a set back (compared to Yuzuru himself) if we talk about the technical side. Yeah you don't like the program, you don't like the style etc it's ok because it's your personal preference.

And I kindly remind you that Yuzuru has a brand new program in which he has to move constantly with high speed because of the music he chose.
If anything Yuzuru's new SP is the most challenging SP he has ever done. And it's still not the complete version I am sure. He will adjust some parts to makeit better as the season goes.

About Osmond, she wasn't underscored at all or else how could she have won? She deserves the win but mind you her first combo in FS was very questionable and if it were me I would have called it UR. Her lutz is questionable too and I might have called it "!". So if anything, i love Osmond and she deserves the win but she wasn't underscored at all.

Last edited:

Marin

Record Breaker

I don't think Hanyu's SP is a jump backwards , he is trying different styles , shows versatility.. I can only praise for this honestly. His spins weren't there and his jumps also weren't there ,his stamina was far far from "there", mind you he came back from injury ,off ice for 3 month, unlike others he didn't have the chance to perform his programs on shows in front of crowd.. but judging what I saw it has great potential even I am not a big fan of this style of music and Prince..I do think choreo and stsq was great , I think that stsq getting already +3 gives a good indication for the potential of this program.

Last edited: