2016 Skate America Ladies SP | Page 45 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate America Ladies SP

ranjake

Final Flight
When haters suddenly start popping out of nowhere and make vile coents about a skater being likened to a strip bar dancer. Smh

Are comments like this maybe why some strong female skaters keep going back to being (trying to be) the pretty, pretty princesses? I love the classical programs; but I loved this, too. This is a 25-year-old Woman (not a little Girl), and an athlete that (in my opinion) gets better every year. Still, as my British Grandma used to say "we can't all be the same" :)

mrrice

Record Breaker

I don't know what to make of Gracie. For the first minute of that program she was spectacular. She can still jump and thank gawd she got a new costume which is a huge improvement over the one she had earlier. I sure would love it if she would perform with more conviction but, I was expecting a disaster and I'm pleasantly surprised at what she was able to do tonight. I still feel that if she skates a clean long that she won't be bumped off the podium by Mao or Gabby. However, one mistake and I could see......Gabby beating both Mao and Gracie. There is something about Gabby's fire that I absolutely love and if she can skate clean, she's the only skater who can match Ashley's Charisma and Fire.

mary01

Final Flight
I think Mao should have been second or third. Huh.

I would put her faaar in first place, the more i'm beginning to analyze the other skater in front of her and all their flaws, the more irritated i get! I don't know what these judges are watching they should watch a theater or circus, that's what they seem to crave! the home boost is sickening as it is, but combined with all the obvious flaws they ignore is really disheartening to watch!

Last edited:

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Because now that Ashley's a World medalist they overlook weaknesses in skaters who finally breaks through and start giving them outrageous scores like high 8's in skating skills like she's Kostner. Doesn't make it right.

Carolina was overmarked A LOT in her career but at least she was first class in other areas when the jumps failed. Her skating skills were among the best of her generation, top 2 with Yuna. I understood what the judges were saying with their marks even if I didn't agree with them. In many ways its the same with Gracie these days but with Ashley its a joke. She's not first class in anything and it looks even more ridiculous. Ashley last year at Worlds benefited from home ice advantage and a weak competition and now she's going to benefit at every competition regardless. Suddenly she's treated as first class even though her skating really isn't

mcq

Record Breaker
I think Ashley's score is fine. She is a deserved 1st place in the SP. Her PCS has been argued since last season so it will be argued for the rest of this season; and aside of one UR she is clean + she is skating at home. It is not even reaching 70 points, I am not sure why there are so many complains.

2nd-5th place (Mihara, Gold, Daleman, Asada) is so close, more or less 1 point apart. Anyone of them could get in the podium, so the FS result will be very interesting.

yuki

Final Flight
Are comments like this maybe why some strong female skaters keep going back to being (trying to be) the pretty, pretty princesses? I love the classical programs; but I loved this, too. This is a 25-year-old Woman (not a little Girl), and an athlete that (in my opinion) gets better every year. Still, as my British Grandma used to say "we can't all be the same" :)

Putting aside the strip dancer comment (which was gross), this is not a great program for Ashley IMO, and it's not because of the music or because she's not a pretty princess. It's because this is more dancing (and posing) than skating, which is not an issue for an EX, but this is supposed to be a competition program.

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
i am appalled by the judging of this event. both GOEs and PCS are a farce at this point. tech calls too actually.

(also Mao's flip wasn't <)

andromache

Record Breaker
Ashley's SP is excellent, and I expect it to improve in transitions through the season.

Haters gonna hate. She delivered and won the audience - would've won over the audience anywhere in the world.

In on mobile so I can't see join date or post count, but I'm noticing several posters with names I don't recognize all posting the same kind of nasty comments about the same skaters...

Also whoever was screaming their head off in the audience during the last group needs to go away forever.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Carolina was overmarked A LOT in her career but at least she was first class in other areas when the jumps failed. Her skating skills were among the best of her generation, top 2 with Yuna. I understood what the judges were saying with their marks even if I didn't agree with them. In many ways its the same with Gracie these days but with Ashley its a joke. She's not first class in anything and it looks even more ridiculous. Ashley last year at Worlds benefited from home ice advantage and a weak competition and now she's going to benefit at every competition regardless. Suddenly she's treated as first class even though her skating really isn't

I wouldn't call the Ladies event at Worlds this year weak in fact i can't remember the last time i saw so many clean of nearly clean skates from the top skaters in both the SP and LP. It was one of the most fiercely competitive Ladies events in history.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Also whoever was screaming their head off in the audience during the last group needs to go away forever.

I was watching it while getting my hair done and when that person started screaming my hairdresser stared at me like a had just committed murder, and the volume wasn't even that high...

artsciboy

On the Ice

Oh please, people talk as if Ashley has second-tier skating skills or something. Ashley may not have the best skating skills of the bunch, but they are above average and to describe them as "mediocre" is simply turning a blind eye to her abilities or showing a complete and utter bias against her.

She was the deserved leader in this field and her score is fine. Not sure how I feel about "Sweet Dreams" as a program yet. I didn't like it as much as I liked "Hip Hip Chin Chin" when it debuted.

desertskates

Medalist
I agree with the placement and the scores for the most part. It'll all be settled tomorrow.
And Ashley totally needs a black blinged out unitard.

Last edited:

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
The best overall performance today is Mai. However, her program is from her last season, and it is kind of generic. Hope she gets better programs, and have some more make up to give a stronger presence.
When noticed her last season, I was thinking she is a younger Satoko with much better jumps.

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
The best overall performance today is Mai. However, her program is from her last season, and it is kind of generic. Hope she gets better programs, and have some more make up to give a stronger presence.
When noticed her last season, I was thinking she is a younger Satoko with much better jumps.

I was thinking something like this as well. Judging by overall impression I don't know if I would place Mai first or Gabby, if she had been just a little bit cleaner on tech. Don't know about Mao, the stream only gave me a few snapshots of her.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ashley's SP is excellent, and I expect it to improve in transitions through the season.

Haters gonna hate. She delivered and won the audience - would've won over the audience anywhere in the world.

In on mobile so I can't see join date or post count, but I'm noticing several posters with names I don't recognize all posting the same kind of nasty comments about the same skaters...

It's shocking to see how mean and unfair some people were on this thread.

But as someone just reminded me ... they're just mad that Ashley skated so well, and their comments say much more about them than about her.

Tyranid

Final Flight
I think Ashley's score is fine. She is a deserved 1st place in the SP. Her PCS has been argued since last season so it will be argued for the rest of this season; and aside of one UR she is clean + she is skating at home. It is not even reaching 70 points, I am not sure why there are so many complains.

2nd-5th place (Mihara, Gold, Daleman, Asada) is so close, more or less 1 point apart. Anyone of them could get in the podium, so the FS result will be very interesting.

So her 34.7+ PCS are fine???

I hope you are not one of the folks who gets upset when Radionova or Tuktamysheva get 32.5-33 PCS for a clean SP.

artsciboy

On the Ice
So her 34.7+ PCS are fine???

I hope you are not one of the folks who gets upset when Radionova or Tuktamysheva get 32.5-33 PCS for a clean SP.

34.7+ PCS for Ashley is definitely fine when compared with Radionova or TukTuk. Those two are hot messes.